Sign in to follow this  
alex_ncfc

Backroom staff

Don't know if there's another thread on this already but I can't see one.

Anyone else find it a bit strange that it's just Smith and Shakespeare joining, and that they aren't bringing anyone else with them? Is this a worry?

I heard that we are promoting coaches from within, but who are these coaches? Are they the ones who have been working with the academy? Are they good enough? Usually when a manager comes in he brings 3 or 4 staff with him. 

• Like 1

Think they'll want to see what's at the club first, no harm in having a look at what's there, trying a few coaches out for a few sessions and seeing if they can cut it. Dean Smith and Craig Shakespeare have enough contacts in the game, so I'd imagine they're looking for a young coach with some energy to supplement them.

• Like 1

The whole point of our setup is to promote from within, the additional roles will be coaches already at the club, promoted to come through.  New blood will join and work up.

It's the basic director/coach model to ensure continuity, as I understand?

Smith effectively said in the presser that there was a decent working platform already in place and therefore they wanted to work with them, hard to argue against it given we won the league and got promoted with them. I imagine going forwards if we do get relegated they could look to change

Football is moving away from the model where a manager is god and a new one means 10 new coaches and a tea lady.

Wouldn't be surprised to see one or two more changes once his feet are under the table though.

10 minutes ago, AJ said:

Smith effectively said in the presser that there was a decent working platform already in place and therefore they wanted to work with them, hard to argue against it given we won the league and got promoted with them. I imagine going forwards if we do get relegated they could look to change

Isn't that the point though? The ones that we won the league with have gone? However, I will trust the management teams judgement on this, they know better than we do what we have and what we do not.

4 hours ago, Google Bot said:

The whole point of our setup is to promote from within, the additional roles will be coaches already at the club, promoted to come through.  New blood will join and work up.

Correct 

4 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Defence...

..has fallen down again, love.

Her: Must have been de wind?

Edited by Google Bot

7 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Some posters seemed to think the model required a foreign coach, so someone named Smith meant the model had been abandoned, but not so.

I was also surprised with only 2 additions since, I think, we lost Farke and 3 others of his team. 

However, the other responses have covered the reasons and I still think we could see some changes when feet are under the table. I had heard that Smith had a set piece taker at villa, I was hoping we might see the same here.

49 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Some posters seemed to think the model required a foreign coach, so someone named Smith meant the model had been abandoned, but not so.

I think you’ll find that it’s pronounced Schmidt. 

9 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

Don't know if there's another thread on this already but I can't see one.

Anyone else find it a bit strange that it's just Smith and Shakespeare joining, and that they aren't bringing anyone else with them? Is this a worry?

I heard that we are promoting coaches from within, but who are these coaches? Are they the ones who have been working with the academy? Are they good enough? Usually when a manager comes in he brings 3 or 4 staff with him. 

Sanders or Eastons.

15 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Yes, this is how I see it. With our model it shouldn't be necessary to replace the whole staffing set up when a coach is sacked. That is a major point of what we are doing. It should be a smoothish transition rather than a major overhaul.