Sign in to follow this  
JB

First Smith Media

59 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not a lot of charisma there, but let's see how he gets the team performing.

I think if Jesus Christ had a second coming and became our manager you'd still say that... Daniel Farke has gone get over it.

Edited by Kenny Foggo

48 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:
59 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Not a lot of charisma there, but let's see how he gets the team performing.

You're being surprisingly down

Can't help it, the change doesn't inspire me. Keen to see what he can do with the players he has - and if he can integrate Cantwell and Gilmour into a  winning team, then he will be doing well. 

However, he has the same conundrum as Farke - he has to first make us difficult to beat - which is what Farke was trying to do - and arguably succeeding in with the matches against Burnley, Brighton and Brentford - even the Leeds match where it was only one daft mistake that cost us.  The Chelsea match spoiled that idea of being hard to beat, but if in the other four games of that five match run you have only been beaten once and that only by the odd goal, it does suggest an improvement overall. 

So his job just carries on from what Farke was doing. Just a new face, maybe fresh impetus, but I don't see anything different happening to what was happening before. Still likely to get tonked occasionally, but with a gradual improvement generally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Normally anything spouted by LDC I don't bother to read, but have to say I'm with him on this one. 

Can't see what Smith brings to the table from his distinctively slightly below average managerial career.

Villa fans liked him because Smith is a Villa fan, that's it. 

Just watched the press conference on YouTube and was pretty impressed. You can certainly see why Webber wanted him: they are absolute peas in a pod. 

Am hoping that Smith is one of those people who speaks softly but carries a big stick. His remarks about needing to improve our defensive organisation were exactly what I wanted to hear (and the prime reason I would have been worried about the appointment of Lampard). It looked as though the closest DF could get to this was playing eight at the back. The trick is to make is harder to beat without making us utterly toothless in attack. If Smith can do that, he'll be a definite upgrade.

He can have absolutely no charisma whatsoever as long we get 3 points Saturday!

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

But he spoke very positively about what he wants to do, no negativity about us not being able to beat teams like your beloved Farke kept saying!

He speaks very positively.  I like what he had to say. And LDK I really thought you had turned the corner and be sounding a bit more positive post DF. I'm sure the players will find him very charismatic when he gets on the training field and injects a new belief into them. No negativity about whoever the opposition is. Maybe you can apply for this job🤔

Screenshot_20211117-123528_Chrome.jpg

2 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Villa fans liked him because Smith is a Villa fan, that's it. 

I would have thought that taking what was a basket case club back to the PL, keeping them there, taking them to a cup final and helping them to progress to a point where they expected to be a top-half team also had something to do with it.

If he were the perfect coach he wouldn't be a candidate for the Norwich job. But he certainly has a chance of being an upgrade on DF (who, for the record, I loved and still love unconditionally). My instinct is he's a very good fit for our club and what we're trying to do here.

• Like 3

I am expecting LDC and all the others that demanded time for Farke to be as patient and supportive of Smith. Time to show you're a supporter not a customer 🐵 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

So his job just carries on from what Farke was doing. Just a new face, maybe fresh impetus, but I don't see anything different happening to what was happening before

Are you kidding? We weren't even pressing our opponents.  Any team that sits and watches a CB delivering balls into their half are going to get a hiding.

That's just one change that would dramatically affect our play style, another is a mentality to win and not settle that if our opposition is "on their day" we will lose.

Add into that the full array of players being selectable, without bias... Well, there's much more than a fresh face to look forward to.

I do have doubts if Smith & co can fix our defence, but he seems to be placing that high on the agenda, so we'll see.  They're knowledgeable and both experience of successful relegation battles.

I'm hoping you'll be watching in the coming weeks and saying to yourself "Ahh, I get it now!". 

7 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Are you kidding? We weren't even pressing our opponents.  Any team that sits and watches a CB delivering balls into their half are going to get a hiding.

That's just one change that would dramatically affect our play style, another is a mentality to win and not settle that if our opposition is "on their day" we will lose.

Add into that the full array of players being selectable, without bias... Well, there's much more than a fresh face to look forward to.

I do have doubts if Smith & co can fix our defence, but he seems to be placing that high on the agenda, so we'll see.  They're knowledgeable and both experience of successful relegation battles.

I'm hoping you'll be watching in the coming weeks and saying to yourself "Ahh, I get it now!". 

I hope so.

Just now, lake district canary said:

I hope so.

No matter if you wanted to see Farke out, Lampard, Knutsen, Favre or Smith in.  We're all in the same boat.

There isn't a great deal more to debate until we see the team take shape on Saturday, but as a lot of us were wanting more time for the players to gel under Farke, that same allowance needs to be in place here.

What I mean by that is try not to let your frustrations of the board/webber's decision, and the insults on this board allow yourself to be venomous to Smith coming in.  He's the innocent party in this, come in to do the best job he can.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

No matter if you wanted to see Farke out, Lampard, Knutsen, Favre or Smith in.  We're all in the same boat.

There isn't a great deal more to debate until we see the team take shape on Saturday, but as a lot of us were wanting more time for the players to gel under Farke, that same allowance needs to be in place here.

What I mean by that is try not to let your frustrations of the board/webber's decision, and the insults on this board allow yourself to be venomous to Smith coming in.  He's the innocent party in this, come in to do the best job he can.

I'm certainly not venomous, just a bit "meh". Main thing to look for is a bit of renewed enegry in the team, both from getting that first vital win last time out and from the desire to impress the new manager.

3 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Lakey firmly nailing his colours to the mast.

The ghost of Wiz?