Sign in to follow this  
pete

A new coach/manager not previously seen at NCFC

Dean Smith is one, his achievement is he has successfully steered his team to survival in a PL relegation fight.  City have never survived a relegation fight in the PL and have been meek in each of the several seasons they have struggled.  Not saying Smith will do this what looks like mission impossible but hopefully he gives us hope that this fight might include some determination.  Under Farke relegation was a stone cold certainty.  Under Smith it is now unlikely but maybe just maybe.

Starting against the Saints, but concerned the latest internationals and resulting injuries may scupper the plans for immediate good fortune. 

29 minutes ago, pete said:

Dean Smith is one, his achievement is he has successfully steered his team to survival in a PL relegation fight.  City have never survived a relegation fight in the PL and have been meek in each of the several seasons they have struggled.  Not saying Smith will do this what looks like mission impossible but hopefully he gives us hope that this fight might include some determination.  Under Farke relegation was a stone cold certainty.  Under Smith it is now unlikely but maybe just maybe.

Starting against the Saints, but concerned the latest internationals and resulting injuries may scupper the plans for immediate good fortune. 

Not true! Chris Hughton. 

24 minutes ago, pete said:

Survived under Lambert and Hughton 

Not sure about this. When I think about Norwich and relegation dog-fight I cant think of a time we beat the drop. We have been in the Premier League for more than one season at a time, but the seasons we havent been relegated we've not really been in trouble.  Every time we have been described as being in a relegation fight (rather than being tipped to go down - ie every season) we've lost the battle.

Our very first Premier League relegation we were hopeless from the moment Gunn broke his leg. 2004/5 we had our destiny in our own hands and fluffed it. 

So its arguably a fair point. Generally a terrible cup team and dont show the bottle needed to get ourselves out of trouble (historically)

46 minutes ago, Sussexyellow said:

Survived under Lambert and Hughton 

In the Lambert season we were fairly comfortable alright. In the Hughton season we were right in the mix with a few games to go but got a couple of fairly easy wins against teams on the beach (Man City away? - that Howson dribble? Can't be bothered checking). But we do generally tend to fold under relegation pressure while someone like Sunderland pips us at the post. I wonder will we still be in touch with two or three games to go this season? Dean Smith has his work cut out between now & Christmas to keep our hopes alive. 

I wonder how much scope there will be for the January transfer window. I got the impression that this year's recruitment is done. Will be interesting to see how Smith works with Webber.

If we're dead and buried by Xmas then I doubt we'll see any splurges in January. But if we're still in the mix and avoiding relegation is possible, can see Smith demanding personnel changes as his first opportunity to mould the squad.

Monster of a DM would be nice.

2 hours ago, pete said:

I wonder whether his success in keeping Villa up was anything to do with money? £140 million spent in the 19/20 season-and even then they needed a Hawkeye malfunction to stay up! Another £90 million in the 20/21 season.

2 hours ago, pete said:

If you are going to troll, at least get the facts correct 

36 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I wonder whether his success in keeping Villa up was anything to do with money? £140 million spent in the 19/20 season-and even then they needed a Hawkeye malfunction to stay up! Another £90 million in the 20/21 season.

Certainly helps doesn't it! Also we've lost our two best players from last season.

Despite that I still think the quality is there, just that Farke kept it well hidden or didn't have time to get the best out of it.

I think the odds are still heavily stacked against us, but we can but try. Hopefully we can enjoy the ride a bit more - it's been pretty grim this season!

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Certainly helps doesn't it! Also we've lost our two best players from last season.

Despite that I still think the quality is there, just that Farke kept it well hidden or didn't have time to get the best out of it.

I think the odds are still heavily stacked against us, but we can but try. Hopefully we can enjoy the ride a bit more - it's been pretty grim this season!

Confidence will be a huge factor. Hopefully Smith will inspire confidence back into the players who looked bereft of it a few weeks ago. Get them to play their game and have no fear. I’m chuffed Normann is still playing and not downed tools, he could well be pivotal. Smith might be able to coax Cantwell back into the mix too. We need his creativity. 

We're bloody incredible in promotion chases. We've not failed in one since 2002 and that was the only time we'd failed in one since 1959!

We're absolutely shocking at relegation battles. 2013 barely counts given we'd been 7th before Xmas - and if you exclude it, that only leaves 1992 (which was like 1995, only the slide started later, thank heavens), 1988 (an extraordinary turnaround, and the straw I'm clutching at this season), and the legendary 1973. 

Of course, there have been a decent number of borderline relegation battles in the second tier. With 2008 our most remarkable escape really. 2001 was very creditable too.

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I wonder how much scope there will be for the January transfer window. I got the impression that this year's recruitment is done. Will be interesting to see how Smith works with Webber.

If we're dead and buried by Xmas then I doubt we'll see any splurges in January. But if we're still in the mix and avoiding relegation is possible, can see Smith demanding personnel changes as his first opportunity to mould the squad.

Monster of a DM would be nice.

i would of thought there was some money to spend or he can spend what comes in 

i doubt Smith would of come if no wriggle room with getting some new players in 

6 hours ago, paddycanary said:

In the Lambert season we were fairly comfortable alright. In the Hughton season we were right in the mix with a few games to go but got a couple of fairly easy wins against teams on the beach (Man City away? - that Howson dribble? Can't be bothered checking). But we do generally tend to fold under relegation pressure while someone like Sunderland pips us at the post. I wonder will we still be in touch with two or three games to go this season? Dean Smith has his work cut out between now & Christmas to keep our hopes alive. 

We were not as comfortable as you'd think under Lambert. He served up some tactical stinkers... I remember us starting with a back three and getting shredded. I want to say we were two goals down before half time and he had to change it up.

It's also one of those odd things.
2011/12

image.png.e9dbf5d738ad6e8248a0b22c3211ebd5.png

2012/13
image.png.f25c2eb651ee26dfb4d76278022a87af.png

Both times the teams in 18th finished with 36 points. There were only 3pts between the two seasons, but despite finishing with three less points, Hughton improved on Lambert's 12th place finish. Not sure you can argue that they were that different in terms of a battle really. 

Edited by chicken

People have short memories. Under Lambert we got a good start and were comfortably mid table all season. Towards the end when we were safe in practical terms Lambert started doing things like trying 3 at the back and it’s probable he was already thinking about leaving and some of our players were probably already on the beach too so results dropped away towards the end, but we were never in danger.

in 12/13 we were fighting against relegation all season and it took a very nervy and scrappy 2-1 win against Reading in April to keep us above the drop zone (I can still picture Holt taking the ball into the corner to run the clock down). Comfortable it was not.

We were fortunate in our last 2 games that the players seemed to cut loose against WBA who were definitely on the beach to thrash them 4-0 at home, which was the only time all season that we won by more than a single goal. And the following game at Man City was a fabulous 3-2 win, neither team had anything at stake but they’d just lost Mancini as manager so they were not fully engaged it’s fair to say.

So 12/13 was a full on relegation scrap, those 2 wins in a row gave the final table a hugely flattering look, but the writing was on the wall for the season after. 

Edited by It's Character Forming
Auto correct typos 😡

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

We were fortunate in our last 2 games that the players seemed to cut loose against WBA who were definitely on the beach to thrash them 4-0 at home, which was the only time all season that we won by more than a single goal. And the following game at Man City was a fabulous 3-2 win, neither team had anything at stake but they’d just lost Mancini as manager so they were not fully engaged it’s fair to say.. 

That 4-0 against WBA remains one of the easiest wins I've ever seen us secure, the visitors may as well have been in flip-flops from the first whistle. Manchester City were, as you mentioned manager-less, and were also a week on from losing an FA Cup Final to Wigan and we definitely benefitted from their lack of enthusiasm.

Be nice to have a couple more like that at the end of this season as I'm sure we're going to still be needing points!

• Like 1