cambridgeshire canary

Conor Hourihane set for Norwich transfer?

I wondered when rumours would start to fly regarding Smith bringing in some of his Villa old boys, managers often do this and like the tried and tested.

Not sure about Hourihane though. He'll be 31 next and has twice before been deemed not good enough for Villa's PL campaign and been loaned out to the Chumps as a consequence. Tom Trybul with a few extra knobs on anybody?

I was hoping for better. We have an abundance of middling 'defensivy' midfielders in McLean, Rupp, Lees-Melou and perhaps even Sorensen already.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I've been to a few matches at Bramall Lane this season and this would be a big meh!  Hourihane has looked totally lost and bereft of confidence, a shadow of the player who ran Barnsley's midfield a few seasons ago, even in a Blades team that has underperformed. 

I think this is purely agent's talk; Hourihane is obviously not enjoying things at the Blades.  Given Smith couldn't get him to play consistently at Villa,I can't see why he would think he will improve Norwich's midfield.  It would certainly undermine both Cantwell & Gilmour.😳

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

Im sure we will get linked to lots of current villa fringe players and players with a past with Smith.

I'm surprised we haven't been linked to kienan Davis Yet!

Buendia to Norwich stories starting soon then.........................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

If Dean Smith watched Gilmour play for Scotland in the last few games, I suspect he will be starting on Saturday.

If Dean Smith was watching Gilmour play for Scotland last game, he’d have seen him go off injured…

I did mention this in the last transfer window. Got a bit of what Norwich haven’t got blood and thunder. Get him in in January 

Guess this makes a change from being linked to random Germans! 

Hourihane is yesterday's man.  Smith instrumental in him losing his role at Villa and been on loan to a couple of clubs Swansea and Sheff Utd.  If he had impressed would have been signed.  Villa contract running out. 

26 minutes ago, pete said:

Hourihane is yesterday's man.  Smith instrumental in him losing his role at Villa and been on loan to a couple of clubs Swansea and Sheff Utd.  If he had impressed would have been signed.  Villa contract running out. 

Playing devils advocate, it's not the Villa side that he would be coming in to - it's a poorly performing Norwich side who are set to lose the likes of Gilmour regardless of results. and Normann if we were to get relegated.

I've not seen him play since he scored against us in Championship so can't comment on how good he looks right now.  But always a thorn in our side, so stood out for me.

Won't happen unless Villa have an option to recall him in January-anyway, a player who can't get in a team fighting relegation from the Championship? Doesn't sound much like a player we need does it?

2 hours ago, Hucks6 said:

I did mention this in the last transfer window. Got a bit of what Norwich haven’t got blood and thunder. Get him in in January 

Not watched Normann then!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

I wondered when rumours would start to fly regarding Smith bringing in some of his Villa old boys, managers often do this and like the tried and tested.

Not sure about Hourihane though. He'll be 31 next and has twice before been deemed not good enough for Villa's PL campaign and been loaned out to the Chumps as a consequence. Tom Trybul with a few extra knobs on anybody?

I was hoping for better. We have an abundance of middling 'defensivy' midfielders in McLean, Rupp, Lees-Melou and perhaps even Sorensen already.

None of those defensives is any good.

When Norwich City start paying the going rate for this league they might attract the right players ie. 80K per week instead of 40K. Just ask Dion Dublin.

Otherwise, Championship. Simples. 

17 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

None of those defensives is any good.

When Norwich City start paying the going rate for this league they might attract the right players ie. 80K per week instead of 40K. Just ask Dion Dublin.

Otherwise, Championship. Simples. 

Pay massively over the odds. Rip off local businesses and escape penalties. Does that sound familiar at your usual destination?

I think Hourihane's best days are firmly behind him, but if that's where Smith sees the gap then fine - he won't cost a lot.

If Villa are still down the bottom with us, as I suspect they might be, I can't see them doing anything to help us.

Good god no, that's not even planning for a decent assault on the Championship next season, well past his best. 

So what would he bring to us we don’t and probably have better? Dowell & Cantwell both play the same position! It’s the normal press bull****e, new manager goes back to raid former club…….

if he's coming I'd hope it's on a free not a loan and we keep Gilmour. Hourihane is probably no better than the likes of Dowell but he'd be a decent enough squad addition and a solid player if we went down a level again.

As for being past it, he's only 30, this isn't football manager! He's got a good year or 2 before he'd likely see a decline at least.

Edited by Tetteys Jig