Fiery Zac

Predict the starting 11

Wouldn’t think he’s got a clue what team to put out

Probably put 20 names in the hat

Dean Smith has the one big advantage that new managers of the past didn't have. 

He has a whole library of recorded matches to watch before he makes up his mind. I would suggest both he and Craig Shakespeare will have been watching many games over the past few days to assess their players.

2 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

Has anyone told @Petriix because if you haven’t… well… I don’t want to be near this board when the sh11t goes down… 

I'm emotionally prepared for it. He actually played 4-2-3-1 in his last game for Villa. If you look back across their losing run, however, you'll see he tried a bunch of formations including 4-3-3 and variations of 5-3-2.

It's anyone's guess what he'll pick, but don't bet against the same team which beat Brentford. Why change a winning team? 🤣

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Krul

Aarons Omobamidele Gibson Williams

Norman McClean

Rashicha Gilmour Cantwell

Pukki

This would be mine other than Tzolis instead of cantwell 

There are quite a few teams in this thread I'd be happy with. Shows that if the squad is all firing and available we do have some good options.

• Like 1

Krul

Aarons  Hanley  Gibson  Williams

Gilmour  Normann  PLM

Rashica  Pukki  Cantwell

Worried mostly that Pukki ,Rashica ,Normann and Gilmour played full minutes in both international games and Dean Smith will have only 2 training sessions with the team.

Must win 4 pts next 2 games to keep momentum and have hopes live around...

3 minutes ago, Boris said:

Krul

Aarons  Hanley  Gibson  Williams

Gilmour  Normann  PLM

Rashica  Pukki  Cantwell

Worried mostly that Pukki ,Rashica ,Normann and Gilmour played full minutes in both international games and Dean Smith will have only 2 training sessions with the team.

Must win 4 pts next 2 games to keep momentum and have hopes live around...

Don't 😟 worry. Kenny didn't play many minutes for Scotland.  So he should be fresh and raring to 🚶‍♂️ go😂🤭

I have to say I’m bemused at all the posters picking Sorensen. If he was that good, Farke would have given him a go. Plus Smith will only get to see a couple of training sessions. It seems extremely unlikely that he’ll pick someone to start who’s never played in the PL on such flimsy evidence. He hasn’t even made the bench for about half our games. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daly said:

Wouldn’t think he’s got a clue what team to put out

Probably put 20 names in the hat

Given we have no defensive midfielders the best that can be done is:

Krul

Byrum Omo Gibson Williams

Rupp Normann Sorensen

Tzolis Pukki Rashica

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

It's anyone's guess what he'll pick, but don't bet against the same team which beat Brentford. Why change a winning team? 🤣

Why the laughing emoji?  It was a winning team after all.......

Given he'll have only had 48 hrs with the squad after players arecback from int. duty , the easiest thing for him to do will be to go with a winning side from brentford, which is what i think he will do

His 2nd team selection after a full week of training will be more interesting, particularly if it hasnt gone well vs Southampton

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I have to say I’m bemused at all the posters picking Sorensen. If he was that good, Farke would have given him a go. Plus Smith will only get to see a couple of training sessions. It seems extremely unlikely that he’ll pick someone to start who’s never played in the PL on such flimsy evidence. He hasn’t even made the bench for about half our games. 

I've applied the Pink Un "Becchio's Law"; "The less games a player has played, the better they are."😀

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I'd be pretty surprised if there are more than  one or two changes from the team that beat Brentford - he may try to fit Gilmore in instead of Maclean. Don't think the back 5 or the front 3 will change. I'd also expect to see Cantwell on the bench if he's fit and to come on for Dowell whatever the score is.

Spot on. For those expecting to see Cantwell walk back into the side, I doubt he’s fit enough. The all out attack sides that people are posting on here are Football Manager fantasy - far too lightweight - we would get murdered. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Yobocop said:

This would be mine other than Tzolis instead of cantwell 

This is what I think we might see too. 

1 hour ago, astro said:

Spot on. For those expecting to see Cantwell walk back into the side, I doubt he’s fit enough. The all out attack sides that people are posting on here are Football Manager fantasy - far too lightweight - we would get murdered. 

Why not? He wasn’t injured, played for the U23s and has been back in training for a week and a half. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Why not? He wasn’t injured, played for the U23s and has been back in training for a week and a half. 

I didn’t think he looked very fit in the u23 match. Maybe he’s got fitter since, but I wouldn’t think he was yet match fit enough for a start.  

7 minutes ago, astro said:

I didn’t think he looked very fit in the u23 match. Maybe he’s got fitter since, but I wouldn’t think he was yet match fit enough for a start.  

TBF, there’s only one way to get match fit.

I agree with those saying we’ll see minimum change, and I think that’s sensible in the context of the Brentford win. At the same time, I imagine he’ll want to carry out one of the business management maxims about making change visible, and do something to show he’s arrived. Picking Cantwell is the obvious action.

Just now, Nuff Said said:

TBF, there’s only one way to get match fit.

I agree with those saying we’ll see minimum change, and I think that’s sensible in the context of the Brentford win. At the same time, I imagine he’ll want to carry out one of the business management maxims about making change visible, and do something to show he’s arrived. Picking Cantwell is the obvious action.

Could argue that picking Gilmour is equally obvious, but see the point made.

• Like 1

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Could argue that picking Gilmour is equally obvious, but see the point made.

True, on reflection that’s probably more obvious than Cantwell. Although it could be argued that of the two, we know Cantwell can be effective with players like Pukki. There’s little evidence for Gilmour so far. On the other hand, we’ve changed so many players…

…indecisive, me? 🤔

It will be the same starting 11 that beat brentford. Plus Gilmour and cantwell who will get on as subs for McLean and rashica.

Why because Dean Smith will not have time to impose his style and in case the naysayers have forgotten norwich won at brentford.

Gilmour played most of 2 games as did raschica.

Pukki will last as long as he can to be replaced by idah in the second minute of added time.

Plus ca change.

Krul

Aarons / Gibson / Omobamidele / Wiliams

Gilmour / Normann / Lees-Melou

Tszolis / Pukki / Rashica

On 16/11/2021 at 06:36, Herman said:

Not a million miles from your choice Zac.

Krul

Aarons  Omobamidele  Gibson  Williams

Normann  Sorenson

Gilmour

Tzolis  Pukki  Rashica

I watched the "best of" video of Tzolis on youtube  after we signed him and he looked impressive. Playing more as a central striker. maybe he is the 2nd striker we have been waiting for? For me Todd HAS TO START

20 hours ago, kenfoggo said:

I think Russell Martin outstayed his valid selection timescale under previous Managers and likewise Grant Hanley has been seen by Farke as undroppable. But surely there is no coincidence that our first win of the season at Brentford was gained with Hanley not in the squad. We looked at least as good defensively without him than when he is on the pitch. I wood like to see Hanley given an extended rest period and Omabamidele/ Gison/Kabak given an additional period of selection. There are many new variations that the news boss may try, but blindly selecting Hanley in my mind would be an error.

Listening to Villa fans, Smith comes across as cautious in making substitutions and changing players as Farke.

I’ll go with the same team that beat Brentford, not accounting for any recent injuries of course.

Reward the players who performed well👍🥇

55 minutes ago, astro said:

I agree Todd was full of drive and enthusiasm in the U 23 game, and definitely not fit, but that was about 3 weeks ago, and I am sure Todd will be back to full fitness, knowing that DF has gone and he has every chance to get back in the starting 11 where he belongs

38 minutes ago, Block Y Seat 176 said:

Listening to Villa fans, Smith comes across as cautious in making substitutions and changing players as Farke.

I’ll go with the same team that beat Brentford, not accounting for any recent injuries of course.

Reward the players who performed well👍🥇

You mean Smith is going TO PLAY MCLEAN?!?  The armchair managers on here will be furious. 😡BOOOOOO!!!!!

6 hours ago, astro said:

The all out attack sides that people are posting on here are Football Manager fantasy - far too lightweight - we would get murdered. 

Completely agree. The idea that Deano is suddenly going to unleash all that latent attacking talent and tear up the PL like we did the championship is unrealistic. First priority has to be a solid midfield balance. Normann and Gilmour playing together would be interesting. 

Edited by Hughie Curran's fruitcake
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Yellow Wal said:

Dean Smith has the one big advantage that new managers of the past didn't have. 

He has a whole library of recorded matches to watch before he makes up his mind. I would suggest both he and Craig Shakespeare will have been watching many games over the past few days to assess their players.

He will also have gathered intelligence on us and will know precisely how our next opponents play having played them 2 weeks ago.