hogesar

Big opportunity for fringe players

2 hours ago, vlad666 said:

9B8EC68A-11BB-4A60-BB11-196A1AC57E3C.jpeg

Did Dean Smith send you this I wonder

😏🤫. Very interesting and for sure very positive. Like it 💥

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I think its fairly obvious and established what our strongest XI is...I cant think that Smith would stray too far from it.

If Farke played it he might still be in the job...

Krul

Aarons Hanley  Kabak Williams

Gilmour  Normann Lees-Melou

Rashica     Pukki    Cantwell

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I think its fairly obvious and established what our strongest XI is...I cant think that Smith would stray too far from it.

Krul

Gilmours looked awful for us so far, hes a poor version of Vrancic. and I prefer Gianoullis to Williams

3 minutes ago, Haus said:

Gilmours looked awful for us so far, hes a poor version of Vrancic. and I prefer Gianoullis to Williams

He was ridiculously being played in the holding defensive midfield position in the early part of the season being asked to do a job alien to him.

Since we bought Normann in , I dont think Farke then played Gilmour alongside him at all in a more free advanced pisition, which was scandalous

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

He was ridiculously being played in the holding defensive midfield position in the early part of the season being asked to do a job alien to him.

Since we bought Normann in , I dont think Farke then played Gilmour alongside him at all in a more free advanced pisition, which was scandalous

But so many people are suggesting he starts as a number 10.

He has cost us a lot this season, trying to adjust teams early on to fit him in. He may well be a good player when he is given time or in a good team but I do not feel he is what we need at the moment considering we will need to be battling to get results.

Gilmour will play on Saturday, should he not be selected it poses the question how can we get quality in the team.  Todd should also play at 10 to provide the ammunition for Pukki he has cried out for all season, as long as he is fit enough.  Sorensen may need to wait as it is unsure whether he is in Norwich at all or even fit enough.  Hope Normann will be fit, struggling evidently and Norway with a very important game on Wednesday when he will be busting to play. 

17 minutes ago, pete said:

Gilmour will play on Saturday, should he not be selected it poses the question how can we get quality in the team.   

74 mins

McLean on for Gilmour

Scotland 1-0 Denmark

A change in midfield for Scotland as Billy Gilmour pulls up grimacing after playing a long pass and he is soon replaced by Kenny McLean.

Sorry Pete, but life ain't that simple. 

I doubt Smith will do anything radical for Saturday, would have thought that it would be close to the starting lineup at Brentford, with maybe one change or two. Whilst it's a clean slate for everyone, he doesn't have much time to work with them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

The biggest annoyance is when they have a few bad games and still get picked, whereas poor on Gianoullis gets hauled off after 45mins and not started again. An even playing field is needed.

This was my biggest frustration with Farke, it didn't matter how bad McLean was he got picked every single time. Yet Giannoulis has a ropey 45 minutes and is binned. Same with Tzolis, Gibson, Rashica, Omabamidele, Gilmour, PLM... all had bad games or moments and then got dropped. The McLean thing was so weird as it's not like he was even a Farke-type player or had earned the right for patience when going through a bad patch like Pukki or Krul etc probably have and his performances this year have been so far below par its plain to see he needs to go. He is the most obviously out of his depth regular at this level in the squad. Please Dean, make me happy at 2pm on Saturday, drop McLean.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

This was my biggest frustration with Farke, it didn't matter how bad McLean was he got picked every single time. Yet Giannoulis has a ropey 45 minutes and is binned. Same with Tzolis, Gibson, Rashica, Omabamidele, Gilmour, PLM... all had bad games or moments and then got dropped. The McLean thing was so weird as it's not like he was even a Farke-type player or had earned the right for patience when going through a bad patch like Pukki or Krul etc probably have and his performances this year have been so far below par its plain to see he needs to go. He is the most obviously out of his depth regular at this level in the squad. Please Dean, make me happy at 2pm on Saturday, drop McLean.

Less game time now and back to Scotland within the next two transfer windows. He just isn’t good enough at this standard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

It would make me happy too!

23 hours ago, hogesar said:

Fringe is the wrong word, maybe it should be more the players Farke didn't rate or where there were 'underlying' issues.

Of course Cantwell and Gilmour are the big names, but it's also going to be really interesting to see how another coach rates:

- Sorensen

- Idah

- Placheta

- Tzolis

- Mumba

- Byram (he was returning to fitness?)

There's probably a couple others but I guess they're the obvious one's. Sorensen is really interesting, he could never get a midfield place under Farke.

Absolutely and some there who have not been given a chance to shine yet...  quite excited about Smith getting more out of Cantwell, Gilmour and Tzolis.

Sorenson?

Some of you are hilarious. 

Oooh that boy had a few decent games at leftback so he must be an epic Premier league defensive midfielder. 

Ludicrous. 

He's slow, and had limited passing. When he came on in that central role late last season, he was ineffective. 

Zero evidence he's good. Zero evidence he can be better than what's been playing. 

The pinkun core posters are a hilarious bunch. 

I think we'd all like to see Sorenson given a chance as he was solid and unflappable last year even playing out of his natural position.

Deano will sort it out.

With Farke I tended to think (for several seasons) that in some ways he built his team around McLean - hence even Vrancic became a bit player. This is what fresh eyes will bring - a root and branch review. Don't get me wrong Kenny is a good player but nobody has an automatic right to a shirt.   

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

I think we'd all like to see Sorenson given a chance as he was solid and unflappable last year even playing out of his natural position.

Deano will sort it out.

With Farke I tended to think (for several seasons) that in some ways he built his team around McLean - hence even Vrancic became a bit player. This is what fresh eyes will bring - a root and branch review. Don't get me wrong Kenny is a good player but nobody has an automatic right to a shirt.   

Farke built his teams around Maddison and then Emi.

The idea that at any point we set up to get the best out of Kenny is akin to saying he built it around Krul

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

Farke built his teams around Maddison and then Emi.

The idea that at any point we set up to get the best out of Kenny is akin to saying he built it around Krul

I need a reason then why Kenny then was almost un-droppable if available for several seasons. I  think he just fitted Farke's mindset 'mold' better than others for the way Farke wanted to play.

The point is there is something wrong with our existing midfield structure that has been either AWOL or generally misfiring.

26 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I need a reason then why Kenny then was almost un-droppable if available for several seasons. I  think he just fitted Farke's mindset 'mold' better than others for the way Farke wanted to play.

The point is there is something wrong with our existing midfield structure that has been either AWOL or generally misfiring.

That's a different point. It's like saying Farke built his team around Aarons, which is also clearly not the case. 

Some players fit his system and mentality more than others. Farke clearly thought that Kenny was the best option we had as an all round CM who would provide more energy and physicality than the other options we have/had. 

Whether Smith agrees, or looks to have a different blend in midfield, remains to be seen.

On 15/11/2021 at 14:07, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Krul

Omobamidele better than Hanley imo.

Tzolis also preferred to Rashica and Cantwell.

Gianoulis vs Williams is a tough one.

Lees Melou I hope comes good but I'd probs rather a CDM alongside Norman and allow more freedom for both Gilmour and Norman to push forwards... therefore I'd rather Sorenson.