Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Big opportunity for fringe players

Fringe is the wrong word, maybe it should be more the players Farke didn't rate or where there were 'underlying' issues.

Of course Cantwell and Gilmour are the big names, but it's also going to be really interesting to see how another coach rates:

- Sorensen

- Idah

- Placheta

- Tzolis

- Mumba

- Byram (he was returning to fitness?)

There's probably a couple others but I guess they're the obvious one's. Sorensen is really interesting, he could never get a midfield place under Farke.

Just now, hogesar said:

Fringe is the wrong word, maybe it should be more the players Farke didn't rate or where there were 'underlying' issues.

Of course Cantwell and Gilmour are the big names, but it's also going to be really interesting to see how another coach rates:

- Sorensen

- Idah

- Placheta

- Tzolis

- Mumba

There's probably a couple others but I guess they're the obvious one's. Sorensen is really interesting, he could never get a midfield place under Farke.

Put you won't find anyone who rated Sorensen more than Farke supposedly 🤷‍♂️.

It's a new chapter, fresh start for quite a few of them. Every single one of them has something to prove now. 

We don't know who will suit the style or tactics etc. 

As you say - Sorensen is the really interesting name there. Other than Rupp we don't have another defensively minded CM and given the combinations used so far it's bizarre he hasn't had a single minute. The centre of midfield has been an issue since the beginning of the season and Farke had obviously run out of ideas other than letting Normann do everything - which he has since he was parachuted in from Krypton - I'd like to see Sorenson sitting next to Normann.

Interesting times for some players who seem undroppable too. Dean may play it safe against Southampton but the line ups should be less conservative soon enough. 

I think its fairly obvious and established what our strongest XI is...I cant think that Smith would stray too far from it.

If Farke played it he might still be in the job...

Krul

Aarons Hanley  Kabak Williams

Gilmour  Normann Lees-Melou

Rashica     Pukki    Cantwell

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Looking forward to seeing if Sorenson is actually a player or not. Essentially like a new signing!

I also hope that some of the shoe ins from the Farke era, Aarons to name one, are made to work for their place. I'm really intrigued to see Mumba given a go at right back. Mclean has to be dropped, doesn't he?

Tzolis has to play. Plachetta, interesting. There's a player there somewhere. 

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

21 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

As you say - Sorensen is the really interesting name there. Other than Rupp we don't have another defensively minded CM and given the combinations used so far it's bizarre he hasn't had a single minute. The centre of midfield has been an issue since the beginning of the season and Farke had obviously run out of ideas other than letting Normann do everything - which he has since he was parachuted in from Krypton - I'd like to see Sorenson sitting next to Normann.

The flipside, of course, is if Dean Smith agrees with Farke and doesn't rate Sorensen, continues to play Mclean etc, if fans would finally accept that Sorensen might not be as good as some of us think he is!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The flipside, of course, is if Dean Smith agrees with Farke and doesn't rate Sorensen, continues to play Mclean etc, if fans would finally accept that Sorensen might not be as good as some of us think he is!

possible...I would respect his judgement...but I feel he will give him a chance.

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I hope Smith is strong enough to wipe the slate clean with everyone. Part of me thinks Smith may field a similar 11 to that at Brentford. I can see Mclean still being picked regularly.

I think of the ones mentioned, Cantwell, Gilmour, Tzolis and Sorensen seem the most obvious contenders. I will expect to see those players notably more than we are currently and all feel to me like they should've played more than we saw under Farke. 

But I don't expect we will see much more of Placheta at all, he's always seemed miles off the pace IMO, we might see a little more of Idah and some of the other second string players too such as Mumba. But that kind of input is probably more owing to the fact that Farke liked a tight knit group and was generally quite frugal with his substitutions, rather than some kind of inner squad favouritism against those players.

This was always one of my biggest gripes, particularly in the champs when we had a totally dominant squad and so much depth, that players like Dowell, Hernandez and Idah were out of sorts nearly the entire season and had little to no routes back in to the side. I know they were injured for parts of it too but Farke never seemed to bring Hernandez or Idah back to match sharpness for the remainder of the campaign. 

24 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I have no problems with that if that's the case.

All the shirts are up for grabs.

And beyond the fringe players - could we see one of the U23 forwards make an impact too - Dickson-Peters seems highly thought of.

31 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The biggest annoyance is when they have a few bad games and still get picked, whereas poor on Gianoullis gets hauled off after 45mins and not started again. An even playing field is needed.

The ones that were clearly hugely trusted by Farke and could find their places under threat are Hanley, McLean and Rupp in my opinion. 

I'm expecting a greater focus on counter attacking to mean more for players like Rashica and Tzolis. 

I'll also be interested in how he uses Sargent. Pukki may thrive as Smith teams have always played with smaller, mobile forwards like Maupay and Watkins rather than a big target man type.

I think Hanley will still be well liked, as club captain, and McLean and Rupp undoubtedly work hard so can't see them not being in the mix.

Tzolis is the one I'm watching with interest, I think if Smith can get him ticking we've got a very good winger on our books. Him and Rashica on the flanks with Cantwell down the middle could be a good attack to have!

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I don't think we're saying he's good; I think we're simply saying he at least deserves a chance to show whether he is good or not.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I think its fairly obvious and established what our strongest XI is...I cant think that Smith would stray too far from it.

Krul

I thought Omabamidele and Gibson looked better together than any other combo we’ve tried personally. Otherwise pretty much agree. Will be interesting to see what Dean thinks.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Krul

Omabamdiele for Hanley and I'm with you. 

Most people putting Gilmour in their starting XI, but I think the key thing here is whether he actually wants to play for us at all. If he doesn't get rid asap and get someone who does even if they are less talented.

The immediate issue with Cantwell needs sorting, too good to be out of the squad of a side languishing at the bottom and in need of goals and creativity. Gilmour needs to either be deemed good enough and worthy of a spot or sending back and that loan spot being used for someone else. 

Idah needs to be looked at and either needs to be deemed a serious threat to Pukki and worthy of 35 minutes plus in a game to impress off the bench, or if not a loan or sale.

We need a decision made on who is our best option at LB and to an extent CB. 

We need LML and McClean to be looked at with objective eyes and decided if they are up for it.

Sorenson, Tzolis and Dowell all also have a chance to force their way back into the starting/match day squad picture.

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

Most people putting Gilmour in their starting XI, but I think the key thing here is whether he actually wants to play for us at all. If he doesn't get rid asap and get someone who does even if they are less talented.

Nothing I've seen of him so far has displayed that he has the ability to grit and fight for a club fighting off relegation. Smith might be able to get more out of him than Farke though, so we'll see I guess

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Krul

This team, but with Andrew O instead of Kabak.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

- Sorensen

- Idah

- Placheta

- Tzolis

- Mumba

Indeed, I still think Sorensen is more suited to premier football than McLean, I’d love to see him start alongside Normann with Gilmour / Cantwell in at ten. I’m still a great believer in the 4-2-3-1 system, we have the best players in that system, Lees, Rupp, McLean all suffer from nearly good enough, but Gilmour and Cantwell definitely have the game in the and are good enough. I am excited that we might just get to see Sorensen and others on the pitch, one thing I didn’t like this season was Farkes focus on certain senior pros starting even we they warranted being dropped.

I don't expect any changes for Saturday. We won our last game so it is the normal thing to do. And DS won't have had time to work with the players in training to suss out his own likely lineup.

But personally I hope he comes in with an open mind on every player. We all have our favourites but some of them haven't performed to the highest. But surely Gilmour and Cantwell must be in the reckoning soon.

Edited by keelansgrandad

I think this could be the fresh start Sorensen needs ,

Mclean is a Bench player for me a good player to bring on but not to start ,

2 hours ago, vlad666 said:

9B8EC68A-11BB-4A60-BB11-196A1AC57E3C.jpeg

If Cantwell isn’t fit to start this would be my line up for Southampton game…….👍

• Like 1