Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Smith already sounding more up for it than Farke

4 minutes ago, Tumbleweed said:

I think thats ok, but hopefully no "free hits" or "don't expect to win"s......anyhow we shall soon see!

Yes. Not least because we can't afford them now. We'll need two or three unexpected bonus wins from somewhere. I wonder if, for example, Smith could win twice at Old Trafford in the same season?! That's the sort of huge boost we'll need if we're to get out of this.

He was 22 when we had our little soirée into Europe, I'd hardly call that the time when he was being "brought up", but that's just me being picky!  It's good that he can remember that great period for the club, it was certainly when I was being brought up as a kid of the (early) 80s!

On 15/11/2021 at 10:31, cambridgeshire canary said:

Remember when after the Chelsea match Farke said both he and his players knew they did not even have a chance of winning the match before kickoff?

Remember when just after the Brentford match before his sacking Farke said that he hopes we stay in the Prem but 'I can't promise anything'?

Now let's compare that to some quotes from Dean Smith upon his apointment as our new manager...

'There has been some wonderful work that has gone into this football club over the last four and a half years and It is the job of myself and Craig to improve on that work with the aim of staying in the Premier League'

I was brought up in an era when Norwich were competing in Europe - I remember those times well and whenever I've visited Carrow Road and Norwich you can really sense the connection between the fans, staff and players.

Together, we all have to make Carrow Road a really tough place for visiting teams.'

Quite a difference.

Dean Smith has a clean slate with no previous results weighing him down. Farke said they had 'no chance' after they'd been hammered in the game, not before, and there was doubtless an element of consoling and protecting players to gee them up for the more winnable games in there. 

It'll be a fairer comparison to compare Smith's post-match analyses around Christmas rather than initial statements before a ball has been kicked. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie