Are you happy with Dean Smith?

Are you happy with Dean Smith?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Dean Smith?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

54 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

What does he bring to the table? Not a lot from what I can see.

You are kidding?

How many clubs has Farke led to Premier League survival? Smith has that on his record.

How many cup finals has Farke led his team to? Smith has that on his record.

How many other managers can claim to have truly developed players as well as or maybe even better than Farke? Dean Smith can. 

Literally the only thing Farke has on Dean Smith is two championship championships to Smith's one play off promotion. 

To say he doesn't "bring a lot" to the table is really just wrong.

• Like 2

Yes I am , Farke had lost the plot and we needed a manager in with experience. Don't think the communication from the club has been good though...not honest, just covering their backs. 

I prefer DS to Lampard tbh... I was excited by the Norwegian last week , but I think we have got a manager that will give us a chance!

Get behind him now #otbc

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You are kidding?

How many clubs has Farke led to Premier League survival? Smith has that on his record.

How many other managers can claim to have truly developed players as well as or maybe even better than Farke? Dean Smith can. 

Literally the only thing Farke has on Dean Smith is two championship championships to Smith's one play off promotion. 

How many millions did Smith have at his disposal compared to Farke. He spent £83 million this summer alone and look where they are, 1 loss less than us!

• Thanks 1

I am more than happy that Dean Smith is our new Manager of players and official Head Coach. His task is to keep us in the premier league. His apprenticeship has been a good one. I don't really care about politics surrounding all the goings on over the last week. I feel we are very lucky to have got him. Wether that was planned or a complete fluke  , again I don't really give a monkeys.  Norwich City is at a crossroad just now and bottom of arguably the best league in the world. Sustainability and survival is the name of the game and in my mind  he is the right man for the task ahead. Welcome DS. Your players await you with renewed energy. 👏 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

How many millions did Smith have at his disposal compared to Farke. He spent £83 million this summer alone and look where they are, 1 loss less than us!

And lost a £100 million player

39 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Inchy, 

1. Smith did not spend the money - that was done by Purslow.  From what can be gathered, although there was discussion over the incomings, there were several that Smith would not have bought, hence why he was struggling to come up with a way of playing that accommodated the new players.  This was one of the reasons behind his sacking - as head coach once you are given expensive players you are expected to play them come what may!
  2. the large amount of money spent was actually spread by Purslow over a large number of players including Emi's £38m.  There's an argument that after the departure of Grealish, the squad overall was no better inquality than the previous season (from that squad who would you buy?).  Even the Billionaires now need to spend over c.£200m in a window to truly change the quality of the squad they have.
  3. Like the Blades last season and us the season before, injuries and Covid have hampered that really rather average Villa squad.  For all the best laid plans, that amount of squad unavailability does affect results.  Look also at Liverpool last year when they lost Van Dijk and had to resort to, gulp, Kabak.

48 minutes ago, Mengo said:

I am more than happy that Dean Smith is our new Manager of players and official Head Coach. His task is to keep us in the premier league. His apprenticeship has been a good one. I don't really care about politics surrounding all the goings on over the last week. I feel we are very lucky to have got him. Wether that was planned or a complete fluke  , again I don't really give a monkeys.  Norwich City is at a crossroad just now and bottom of arguably the best league in the world. Sustainability and survival is the name of the game and in my mind  he is the right man for the task ahead. Welcome DS. Your players await you with renewed energy. 👏 

Exactly.

And no Villa you can't have him back in 6 months when we're comfortably mid table 😉

I think with the options available this is probably the best choice , some Norwich fans  might point to the fact villa have struggled , but to lose a player like grealish is a nightmare , Farke had to go , of course it's an upgrade.😃

The more I think about it, the happier I am. I loved DF, thought he was the best manager - and one of the best men associated with the club - in my time as a supporter (7th Dec 1985, Blackburn (h); 3-0). I’ll miss DF like you wouldn’t believe, but in Dean Smith we’ve got a manager who knows how to run a football team, from the lowest of budgets, to one of the highest. He’s accustomed to working with DoF,  plays a progressive style that seems very well-suited to our playing stocks, and, crucially, doesn’t seem to be a ****. He knows the league we’re in, and the one we might be in next. Likes working with young players, and seems just to like working. I’m very pleased he’s here and I think we’re staying up. 

Yes i am very happy. Very under rated with the will and desire to prove himself. 

He loves his teams to play good attacking football and we will certainly score plenty of goals. Loves to play 4-3-3 or 3-4-1-2. Got a great coach in Shakespear who has been around the block a few times. 

Im gutted Farke went at that time but it was coming due to his Premier League record.

We have a very good coach on board who will get the best out of the players.

We will stay up with Dean at the helm. Enjoy the ride folks its about to get exciting.

Deluded, oh lets behind another journeyman who'll get sacked in 12 months. He wasn't first choice Smith was a "he'll do, or should I say the only one available?", Webber is a complete fool and based on all the "lets get behind Deano" comments you get what you deserve. Embarrassing board and tin pot setup - always has been always will be lil ole Narwich mentality is strong on this toxic board.

And no I didn't want Lampard. Knutsen all the way.

Farke was 5hit on!

Bring on the ridiculous binner, sarcastic smart ar5e comments...

This is worse than Roeder.

Smith has a decent history, he's experienced making a club survive in the PL, he's experienced getting a club promoted, and he's coached youth prospects into the most expensive English player in history. Not too much to argue with, now it's his turn to get results on the pitch

Very happy. I've only ever been happier with a managerial choice when we appointed O'Neill, then Walker second time around. That was an almost boundless euphoria; this is a feeling of contentment, because I think we've nailed the whole process and got exactly the right man for the job. I have an extremely good feeling about this - which I'd liken to when I first saw Alex Neil being interviewed, and just sensed he'd turn us around.

I was also rather touched when Dean mentioned our time in Europe. I can't recall any other NCFC manager since 1993 ever doing that at a press conference unveiling. He'll be aware of that time in detail because of course, he's a Villa fan - one of our two title rivals back then! If it all goes to plan, there's something really lovely about our legendary team and manager from that time having played a part in some way. 

This piece here is also a reminder of why this is such a good fit for a club like ourselves. In our circumstances, we don't need a designer manager or a hipster manager or some wildly risky left-field choice which, if they bombed, would leave us in huge trouble. We just need a truly reliable manager - and we've got him.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/15/norwich-defy-trend-designer-managers-dean-smith-good-hire

Interesting poll when you compare to this earlier in the week:-

image.png.54f8f0f7d6c8420b3d86d4013db03998.png

90% here didn't have him as first choice, but only ~12% are unhappy about it today. 

Not sure if that's more indicative of things calming down and he apparently seems to be quite a sensible choice, or if we're super loyal?

I voted Lampard in that poll, but happy today and I hope it's not through support only. I Felt quite low on Smith to begin with, but now I've looked into his achievements, interviews and a few highlights I'm quite up on him, and was before formally announced.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Carra Rud said:

Deluded, oh lets behind another journeyman who'll get sacked in 12 months. He wasn't first choice Smith was a "he'll do, or should I say the only one available?", Webber is a complete fool and based on all the "lets get behind Deano" comments you get what you deserve. Embarrassing board and tin pot setup - always has been always will be lil ole Narwich mentality is strong on this toxic board.

And no I didn't want Lampard. Knutsen all the way.

Farke was 5hit on!

Bring on the ridiculous binner, sarcastic smart ar5e comments...

This is worse than Roeder.

Binner binner eat your dinner 

• Haha 1

Just now, Google Bot said:

Interesting poll when you compare to this earlier in the week:-

image.png.54f8f0f7d6c8420b3d86d4013db03998.png

90% here didn't have him as first choice, but only ~12% are unhappy about it today. 

Not sure if that's more indicative of things calming down and he apparently seems to be quite a sensible choice, or if we're super loyal?

I voted Lampard in that poll, but happy today and I hope it's not through support only. I Felt quite low on Smith to begin with, but now I've looked into his achievements, interviews and a few highlights I'm quite up on him, and was before formally announced.

Thanks… although not a Lampard man, I was happy with him last week and not really excited to have Smith rather than Lampard. Fickle or loyal?! But happy. I think we made the right call with replacing Farke with Smith. Let’s just hope he is a very lucky manager!!

3 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You are kidding?

Villa fan in peace...

I am not sure what Farke was like with youth development but bringing youth through is a big part of what Smith does. Jacob Ramsey is only 20 and Smith introduced him to the 1st team last season and this season he has started 5 or 6 games. There are another few kids that are on the Villa bench every PL game and are getting a run in the team. For a club that is looking for sustainability this is a really important attribute that Dean has and I suspect this was a significant factor in NCFC deciding on Dean as your Head Coach

Generally happy. Knutsen sounded interesting and from today's Davitt and Freezer Q&A it seems some other potential candidates (unnamed apart from Howe) were sounded out. Also clear from their comments that Lampard was certainly not the first choice, and quite possibly not any kind of choice, and that Smith was favoured from the moment he became available.

What seemed sometimes to get lost in the chatter was that we very specifically wanted not a manager but a head coach, and Smith fits that role. Some relevant comments from a Guardian piece today:

"His career blueprint, as an influential assistant at Leyton Orient before managing Walsall, Brentford and Aston Villa, has been to stabilise a club and progress it to the next stage of development. For Norwich, that next stage equals staying in the Premier League for more than one season at a time. Relegation will probably have to be shouldered before that can happen.

"Instead of an emotional return for Steve Bruce, a former Norwich captain, or an attempt at replicating the Purslow model [of a star name] in Frank Lampard, they have alighted upon someone proven in meeting realistic expectations.

"Norwich do not shoot for the stars but hope to punch above their weight. Historically, the club’s best managers have done just that from Ron Saunders in the 1970s, to Dave Stringer in the 1980s, to Mike Walker in the 1990s and Paul Lambert a decade ago. A manager recognising that as the point of the club can be a success. Smith, unassuming yet progressive, seems a decent fit for that profile."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Generally happy. Knutsen sounded interesting and from today's Davitt and Freezer Q&A it seems some other potential candidates (unnamed apart from Howe) were sounded out. Also clear from their comments that Lampard was certainly not the first choice, and quite possibly not any kind of choice, and that Smith was favoured from the moment he became available.

What seemed sometimes to get lost in the chatter was that we very specifically wanted not a manager but a head coach, and Smith fits that role. Some relevant comments from a Guardian piece today:

"His career blueprint, as an influential assistant at Leyton Orient before managing Walsall, Brentford and Aston Villa, has been to stabilise a club and progress it to the next stage of development. For Norwich, that next stage equals staying in the Premier League for more than one season at a time. Relegation will probably have to be shouldered before that can happen.

"Instead of an emotional return for Steve Bruce, a former Norwich captain, or an attempt at replicating the Purslow model [of a star name] in Frank Lampard, they have alighted upon someone proven in meeting realistic expectations.

"Norwich do not shoot for the stars but hope to punch above their weight. Historically, the club’s best managers have done just that from Ron Saunders in the 1970s, to Dave Stringer in the 1980s, to Mike Walker in the 1990s and Paul Lambert a decade ago. A manager recognising that as the point of the club can be a success. Smith, unassuming yet progressive, seems a decent fit for that profile."

Thanks for posting this @PurpleCanary.  I'm a lot happier with this appointment now, and it's good to hear that FL was not our first choice.  With Farke I just felt we were never going to have a chance this season, it felt just like the restart after Covid enforced break when we were constantly struggling.

Now we can start thinking about the rest of the season !

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

"Smith life" doesn't quite have the same ring to it, so I fear it will the classic and deeply meaningful chant of "Deano, Deano"....

Schmidt life?

I was underwhelmed when Farke joined and pleased when he left, but (some) of the bit in the middle was rather good 😉

The prospect of Smith is growing on me and I think we have done pretty well, especially also getting Shakespeare.

Hopefully we can get back to entertaining attacking football and if we are relegated go down with a whimper.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I was underwhelmed when Farke joined and pleased when he left, but (some) of the bit in the middle was rather good 😉

The prospect of Smith is growing on me and I think we have done pretty well, especially also getting Shakespeare.

Hopefully we can get back to entertaining attacking football and if we are relegated go down with a whimper.

🥳 pleased or relieved. Cmon the Smiths.

Yes. Happy to have a new approach to things. Farke’s approach to the premier league didn’t work. Let’s move on get behind the manager and the lads.