Are you happy with Dean Smith?

Are you happy with Dean Smith?  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Dean Smith?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Just now, lake district canary said:

Strikes me as a bit too much of a coincidence, all this. Farke sacked and Smith sacked virtually the same time, Gerrard happy to walk straight intro Villa, Smith conveniently walks into Norwich job. All sounds a bit pre-planned.

It’s the alien lizards I tell you. And 5G masts.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Strikes me as a bit too much of a coincidence, all this. Farke sacked and Smith sacked virtually the same time, Gerrard happy to walk straight intro Villa, Smith conveniently walks into Norwich job. All sounds a bit pre-planned.

Who do you think pre-planned it?

Have to be happy with this

If you'd have said a couple of weeks ago that another premier lge manager would now be managing us , we'd have thought it would be unlikely as we would assume that we'd be regarded as a lost cause

I'd lowered my sights to a previously out of work manager , or someone like Mark Robins...and I was even doubting that we could attract him from Coventy given our respective positions

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

52 minutes ago, Ray said:

As Shakespeare wrote, "Nothing is good or bad but thinking makes it so", depends on your individual thinking then, but remember your brain will always strives to prove you right, it is hard wired to do so.  For me, my thinking is, probably as good as we could realistically get.

Craig Shakespeare?

Just now, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Who do you think pre-planned it?

It's about being in the know. Webber would have been aware of the Villa situation and might even have been given the tip off by someone at Villa that Smith was going to be sacked.  Smith himself might have known he was going to be sacked in the run up to that weekend.  Same as Gerrard would have been sounded out about going to Villa before they sacked Smith. All pre-planned. It's too naive to think this was just some lucky co-incidence. 

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's about being in the know. Webber would have been aware of the Villa situation and might even have been given the tip off by someone at Villa that Smith was going to be sacked.  Smith himself might have known he was going to be sacked in the run up to that weekend.  Same as Gerrard would have been sounded out about going to Villa before they sacked Smith. All pre-planned. It's too naive to think this was just some lucky co-incidence. 

If you like.

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah, because that's how football message boards work. Someone posts a rumour about a new manager and no-one is allowed to post an instinctive, reactive opinion. Everyone must ignore the thread, go away and do 45 minutes minimum research and provide evidence before posting their thoughts.

Jesus wept.

Some posters could spend 45 years on research and they'd still be none the wiser...😎

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

No, I'm not particularly happy with Smith as a replacement for Farke. If Farke ever left, I had hoped it would be for another non-English head coach and someone a bit different, there's quite a few good continental coaches that would have been interesting to have on board. Smith may be good for us and he will have my support, but can't say he inspires me. Time will tell and if he gets results, then that is what he is here for and if we go down, to get us back again pretty quick. A tall order either way, but good luck to him.

I thought you wanted Mark Robins Lakey?

Dean Smith wasn't my first choice for manager, i just really knew that i didn't want Lampard.
However the more i think about it this could be a great appointment.

He's worked under a "director of football / sporting director before".

Villa have constantly been linked to Cantwell over the last 18 months or so, because of that i'm hopeful he can get the right tune out of Todd.

He's tried to sign Rashica before so i'm also hopeful he can get the most out of Milot (Hopefully on the pitch at the same time as Todd)

I haven't seen a fan from a previous club speak poorly of him.

And most importantly he kept Villa up when at one point it didn't look likely.

Bring it on, Welcome Dean.
Dean Smiths Yellow Army!!!

• Like 2

Why does everyone have to like everyone else nowadays?

Isn't it possible to hate someone? Not football or this forum but people like Trump for instance.

Why is it only good people die? They loved life, help anyone etc. Never hear that they were a complete shoite and we are better of without them.

So while I have nothing personal against Dean Smith, he wouldn't be my choice. But that isn't to say I won't be right behind him and hope he turns us into a real competitive outfit. 

But I don't know if he is nice bloke or not. I just accept he is and unless I hear to the contrary, I won't be changing my mind.

5 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I thought you wanted Mark Robins Lakey?

When the names were being touted around at the time I thought yeh, Robins would be preferable. I think of any English coaches Robins would be excellent long term - but I was really hoping for another Farke like signing.

I was surprised/undewhelmed it was Dean Smith. But now it feels like a sensible enough appointment if they felt Daniel had to leave. (Seems a bit like Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.) He seems decent enough and deserves our full support. Maybe a fresh set of eyes and new boss to impress will make the difference.

38 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Out of interest, Lakey, if you think this was all planned prior to Farke’s sacking, as your timeline shows, what was the point in wasting time and resources speaking to Lampard and maybe others? No need for a smoke screen if all parties had already arranged this, don’t you think?

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

I’m guessing Frank Lampard was indeed first choice up until Dean Smith become available, but that changed rapidly when Smith suddenly became an option

I just can't see Webber going to someone like Lampard as first choice though, it's just not what you'd expect from him, as much as I'd have liked to have seen him come here - it always felt a bit surreal that this was the route we were taking, and I could never get my head around it actually happening.

But then, with different rulings post brexit on who you can bring in, and what experience they have - perhaps Webber actively decided he wanted a manager with experience at this level as the minimum requirement.  So we were never getting a 'typical' Webber out of the dark style appointment.

His desire to have Smith at Huddersfield, his reported friendship with Purslow.. I have more belief that he would've been aware of Smith's departure going into Saturday than Frank being number one choice. I'd even place a manager like Knutsen to be a first choice over Lampard.

But perhaps I've slowly gone insane during this past week lol.

2 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Out of interest, Lakey, if you think this was all planned prior to Farke’s sacking, as your timeline shows, what was the point in wasting time and resources speaking to Lampard and maybe others? No need for a smoke screen if all parties had already arranged this, don’t you think?

Good point, but it doesn't have to be as cut and dried as all that. Knowing that Smith would be available and interested might have been a key factor, but that any others would be interviewed as well to make sure we got the best person. Villa clearly had it all arranged that Gerrard would take over, but for us it may not have been as clear cut, but at least a factor.

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I just can't see Webber going to someone like Lampard as first choice though, it's just not what you'd expect from him, as much as I'd have liked to have seen him come here - it always felt a bit surreal that this was the route we were taking, and I could never get my head around it actually happening.

But then, with different rulings post brexit on who you can bring in, and what experience they have - perhaps Webber actively decided he wanted a manager with experience at this level as the minimum requirement.  So we were never getting a 'typical' Webber out of the dark style appointment.

His desire to have Smith at Huddersfield, his reported friendship with Purslow.. I have more belief that he would've been aware of Smith's departure going into Saturday than Frank being number one choice. I'd even place a manager like Knutsen to be a first choice over Lampard.

But perhaps I've slowly gone insane during this past week lol.

Nope, don’t think you’ve gone insane, Google Bot! Good points! My point was that whether or not Frank Lampard *or anyone else* headed the list, if Webber wasn’t aware of the Smith situation at the time then it was perfectly reasonable for him to then make him *the* number 1 target the moment he became available. I didn’t think Lampard was a Webber type appointment but obviously I don’t know that for a fact, I could well be wrong. But all that said, it wouldn’t surprise me about Purslow though as I’ve seen it said before one of the reasons the Buendia deal went so smoothly was because of their friendship or previous good working relationship at Liverpool. The only thing I would question if we were aware of the situation then why would we have wasted time, money and resources over Frank Lampard etc. No real reason for a smokescreen. 

There’s a good point you make there too, and I am thinking that anyone who may have thought Smith was last on our list or anything - well, it is reported Webber wanted him back in his Huddersfield days. So if that is true, it’s pretty likely Smith became numero uno from the moment it was made known that he would be available, and crucially, up for the challenge. Seems like he finally got his man.

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Good point, but it doesn't have to be as cut and dried as all that. Knowing that Smith would be available and interested might have been a key factor, but that any others would be interviewed as well to make sure we got the best person. Villa clearly had it all arranged that Gerrard would take over, but for us it may not have been as clear cut, but at least a factor.

Which is exactly why I didn’t think it was naive at all to think that this wasn’t all pre planned as per your initial post on this, Lakey 😉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

The only thing I would question if we were aware of the situation then why would we have wasted time, money and resources over Frank Lampard etc. No real reason for a smokescreen. 

Obviously the question mark would've been if Smith wanted to dive straight in again, Webber would've known he was off to spend time with family and felt it right to let him think about it, but continue the interview process in the background,

If Smith said he wasn't ready and wanted more time out, just think of the fallout if we had no other irons in the fire.

Through media and betting odds we've been lead up the path that it was Lampard first choice and Webber panicked with Smith when he turned us down.   In hindsight when you piece this backwards on the facts we know, there's some real sense there that he was number one.

One thing that can't be disputed is Smith being the first to be talked to.  He jumped straight on that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Obviously the question mark would've been if Smith wanted to dive straight in again, Webber would've known he was off to spend time with family and felt it right to let him think about it, but continue the interview process in the background,

If Smith said he wasn't ready and wanted more time out, just think of the fallout if we had no other irons in the fire.

Through media and betting odds we've been lead up the path that it was Lampard first choice and Webber panicked with Smith when he turned us down.   In hindsight when you piece this backwards on the facts we know, there's some real sense there that he was number one.

One thing that can't be disputed is Smith being the first to be talked to.  He jumped straight on that.

Yep, it all stacks up for me, GB, and looks very logical. I suppose if I didn’t like Webber or was looking for someone to blame or whatever as I feel we do see on here, then I guess you could easily scream ‘lies!’ and ‘it was always Frank Lampard!’ because you’d believe anyone but Webber by sheer default!

Villa were a one-trick pony called Grealish and when he left Villa fell apart. Smith couldn't get a tune out of Buendia. What hope in hell does he have with the likes of one-footed Sargant and Idah the Irish clod-hopper?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Villa were a one-trick pony called Grealish and when he left Villa fell apart. Smith couldn't get a tune out of Buendia. What hope in hell does he have with the likes of one-footed Sargant and Idah the Irish clod-hopper?

Probably hoping the same tune he got from helping develop a young player in Jack Grealish into the very player he is today, just as Grealish himself has always credited Smith with in his interviews.

As for Buendia, early days. Just as Pep Guardiola is finding with none other than Jack Grealish at Man City.

1 hour ago, HoolaOHoolahan said:

I was surprised/undewhelmed it was Dean Smith. But now it feels like a sensible enough appointment if they felt Daniel had to leave. (Seems a bit like Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.) He seems decent enough and deserves our full support. Maybe a fresh set of eyes and new boss to impress will make the difference.

Pretty similar to this. Underwhelming at first but the more I read about Smith the more I think it is a good move. The proof will be in the pudding, which he does look like to be fair, but he and the club will get my support. 

Smith joined when fully aware relegation was a probability, but still wanted the job and was wanted by the most important person at our club.  Smith will have a better idea of the abilities of our current squad than any potential candidates.  And feels he can improve the players and assist a survival achievement.  It's a definite yes for me Southampton will be too soon for a marked improvement but hopefully Smith's appointment will be met with a renewed optimism with both players and fans.

How about info re Sorensen is he still the only DM at the club after being on the bench for early PL games then disappeared from squad lists and no injury reported.  Where's he gone? is there a Bermuda Triangle at Colney.    

48 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I suppose if I didn’t like Webber or was looking for someone to blame or whatever as I feel we do see on here, then I guess you could easily scream ‘lies!

Yes for sure, And I believe Webber's problem is when he claims to always have a list of replacements at any one time people, people will judge him on that.

For me, if the decision was unanimously to dismiss Farke and allow 2 weeks to find a replacement without a replacement set in stone, that also doesn't offend me.

Reading the supporter base, I can't get my head around if that kind of 'risky' decision would cause uproar in itself, or it's more people feeling there's a lack of plan when Webber say's he's always got a plan which is the underlying issue?

As I see it, the dismissal of Farke has to be 'worth' it from a supporters perspective. And that's what we're ultimately asking of the board.

Whether the manager who comes in was first, second or third choice, it's still our performance as a team which will determine if it was 'worth' it or not.  And that's where my head is, I don't really care what happened and/or if Webber was reactionary rather than planned, or how it relates to something he said years ago.  What is important is his relationship with the new man, and whether after one-on-one interviews is the best fit.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kanadyan Kanary said:

Or perhaps they shouldn't comment until they have done the research. That would be more adult-like.

Conversation is a legitimate method to evolve opinions, particularly where there's a large element of speculation. 

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

No, I'm not particularly happy with Smith as a replacement for Farke. If Farke ever left, I had hoped it would be for another non-English head coach and someone a bit different, there's quite a few good continental coaches that would have been interesting to have on board. Smith may be good for us and he will have my support, but can't say he inspires me. Time will tell and if he gets results, then that is what he is here for and if we go down, to get us back again pretty quick. A tall order either way, but good luck to him.

Just wanted a non English coach. No particular reason though 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Villa were sitting 14th in the table when he arrived, funny the managers before Smith couldn't get them up the table as they had Grealish as well.