Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Cantwell has a message for us Norwich faithful

The irony of some who spend half their life on a football forum slagging off an elite athlete for using social media is quite something.

The amount of imaginative guesswork that goes into analysing everything Cantwell says/does is embarrassing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hairy Canary said:

Just a bit of perspective needed here don’t you think?

There's been stuff posted about his sexuality, gender issues, mental health problems, fall outs with Farke and punch ups with Gilmore. Pretty much all of it without any substance and certainly without evidence. Then when the guy posts a pic about playing with his dog someone decides to resurrect it from two weeks ago and it causes a huge negative reaction.

If someone posted false stuff about me on line, like Todd has had to face, I’d react much more negativity than the way he has.

Keep poking the guy with a stick and then get all angry and indignant when he reacts!

Totally agree and he doesn't deserve any of that! But I'm still disappointed with the nonsense Farke had to put up with him over the past 12 months. 

Other than that one time with Buendia last year, Farke never faced any such issues with our senior players (except those with attitude problems or players he's wanted to shift on to a new club ASAP), so Todd is clearly not the best example of a professional footballer in our squad - to put it mildly.

Of course I don't advocate any kind of abuse of the lad, but I've lost some respect for him as a professional and find the social media posts where he seems to get a kick out of the attention more than a little inflammatory to the situation. 

And no its not really how I'd expect a normal person to react to the negativity, because all he does with those cryptic posts is stoke more questions and more rumours. He doesn't actually go out of his way to straighten the score in a detailed and thorough way does he? If he did that then I'd fully get it, but no, its just odd little sentences and ambiguous phrases.

Again I'm really keen to see him back, and will get 100% behind him when he does, I can't stress that enough - but he's lost some of my support the past few months and I think that's fair enough given his own lack of commitment. 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

9 hours ago, Star55 said:

Agreed but don’t understand why that person posted it as though it was a recent post. It’s an old post. 

It was done because that poster goes for click bait. He seems to get off on getting his thread count upon some competition with one or 2 others. It’s totally ridiculous that at the start of a new era he goes scrabbling around social media trying to create division when we should all be pulling together. It’s clearly been put on here now to get the reaction he wanted and the usual suspects have all piled in.

I’m pretty sure that anything Todd gets up to pales into insignificance when compared to the actions of Grealish, who Smith handled well.We need Cantwell back on the park now and need to stop creating unnecessary division.

There are far too many posters on here who are just attention seeking.

• Like 4

I’m just glad the majority of posters on here aren’t accountants, as their ability to add 2+2 and get 22 is bizarre.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Van wink said:

I suspect he has wellbeing problems which exist way beyond his relationship with football. The best advice I could give him would be to exit social media, move away and try to get himself sorted out.

Stuart Webber pretty much said that they sent him to Holland because he'd barely left Norfolk up to that point.

Moving away may well be what's best for him.

But I suspect Dean Smith will be looking at the squad and thinking "right, who's my poor man's Grealish here" and the closest thing we've got is probably Cantwell at the moment, so I'd be betting that Dean Smith attempts to get him ticking. 

9 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

give the lad a break, he now starts with a clean sheet

I assume you mean "clean slate"

And this isn't a pop at Cantwell by suggesting he still wets the bed?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Totally agree and he doesn't deserve any of that! But I'm still disappointed with the nonsense Farke had to put up with him over the past 12 months. 

Other than that one time with Buendia last year, Farke never faced any such issues with our senior players (except those with attitude problems or players he's wanted to shift on to a new club ASAP), so Todd is clearly not the best example of a professional footballer in our squad - to put it mildly.

Of course I don't advocate any kind of abuse of the lad, but I've lost some respect for him as a professional and find the social media posts where he seems to get a kick out of the attention more than a little inflammatory to the situation. 

And no its not really how I'd expect a normal person to react to the negativity, because all he does with those cryptic posts is stoke more questions and more rumours. He doesn't actually go out of his way to straighten the score in a detailed and thorough way does he? If he did that then I'd fully get it, but no, its just odd little sentences and ambiguous phrases.

Again I'm really keen to see him back, and will get 100% behind him when he does, I can't stress that enough - but he's lost some of my support the past few months and I think that's fair enough given his own lack of commitment. 

Unfortunately there's quite a list of players Farke fell out with. 

He didn't like his topics being questioned and struggled to manage some very talented people. 

Yes he got us promoted twice, but it would be wrong to call him the best manager in history. The topic of managing players was not his only fault.

Would imagine Cantwell’s problems all related to Farke 

Time to move on with a clean slate

Now it’s up to him 

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I may be a bit thick, but can anyone explain what he actually is saying or trying to get across? 

I think he's just saying that his dog is well 'ard. 

I can't imagine him being smart enough to intentionally utilise a double entendre to wind up pink'un posters. 

We can give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down to a personality clash with Farke

...but no excuses as of today. I would hope he's at the training ground this morning with his head down with the new coaches and looking to impress them.

If another coach can't get him playing then we have to assume he wants away and should look to sell

• Like 1

Just now, daly said:

Now it’s up to him 

He has a difficult agent also. 

It took a year to negotiate his last contract extension, Cantwell's agent didn't trust Webber's "little and often" method for young players. 

Just now, Number9 said:

Unfortunately there's quite a list of players Farke fell out with. 

He didn't like his topics being questioned and struggled to manage some very talented people. 

Yes he got us promoted twice, but it would be wrong to call him the best manager in history. The topic of managing players was not his only fault.

I added that in brackets though - 

Except for players that had attitude issues (Leitner), and players he didn't rate in terms of quality (Trybull, Drmic etc), who has he fallen out with / made train with the under-23s?

Basically all the players who he rated as good enough for the first team, and continued 100% commitment to the cause, were always in or around the team. 

So why does Todd now sit amongst those players?

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We can give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down to a personality clash with Farke

...but no excuses as of today. I would hope he's at the training ground this morning with his head down with the new coaches and looking to impress them.

If another coach can't get him playing then we have to assume he wants away and should look to sell

Exactly, the past is the past. Clean slate but no time for prima-donnas here. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Agree with this, it’s last chance saloon really and hopefully everything that’s come before is to do with his differences with Farke and not Smith.

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Except for players that had attitude issues (Leitner), and players he didn't rate in terms of quality (Trybull, Drmic etc), who has he fallen out with / made train with the under-23s?

Basically all the players who he rated as good enough for the first team, and continued 100% commitment to the cause, were always in or around the team. 

It's a fair enough question, not easily answered because we know so little about what goes on at Colney. However, it certainly has nothing to do with a silly two week old post about his tough dog, which is what has sparked all this reaction just at a time when we, and Todd, need to be focusing on a new start.

Lost a lot of time for the OP to be honest. Just **** stirring. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

So questioning topics when we lose badly aka 'attitude issues'

A good leader manages his talent for his own and his employers benefit. 

We've all worked for supervisors or managers who go to bits when someone with talent raises questions. 

Just now, daly said:

Now it’s up to him 

This^^  Farke was clear from the outset four and a half years ago that you don't aren't a part of his plans if you set yourself apart from the group by thinking you are special.  Unity was everything and players who didn't fit in were put on the naughty bench -  temporarily or permanently, dependng on their reaction.  Oliveira and Leitner didn't respond well and got frozen out completely (which most of us were ok with) but Buendia and Cantwell both experienced it before and responded well.  This time with Cantwell, it has gone on too long....but he had done his time, he had done the u23s to prove fitness and he was due back in the squad this week anyway, so maybe, just maybe, he will be back in the mix for getting in the team. He has a chance with the new manager - and as you say, a clean slate. 

Part of me expects Todd Cantwell to be retired by 28, bankrupt by 32, and doing Radio Norfolk commentary by 33 for beer money.

It feels like he takes his incredibly privileged position for granted. He's a good player, but at danger of going backwards and there's always a lot of talent coming up from behind (<<< leave out the dirty joke, couldn't think how else to word that).

Not saying I wish it upon him (feels like some would relish in his downfall), just that it really is time for him to emotionally mature and focus on his football.

Here's what happens when players get a gilded opportunity to make it in football and fail to knuckle down: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohan_Ricketts

Here is a post that TC posted this weekend but Cambridge Canary chose to post an old pic with his dog about not playing games to stir up things.

To me this post seems that he is in a more positive place.  

Capture.PNG.6f759f9931bef32cbcb843606e456ffe.PNG

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

It's a fair enough question, not easily answered because we know so little about what goes on at Colney. However, it certainly has nothing to do with a silly two week old post about his tough dog, which is what has sparked all this reaction just at a time when we, and Todd, need to be focusing on a new start.

Lost a lot of time for the OP to be honest. Just **** stirring. 

Agreed. 

To be honest my initial reply wasn't really to that pic - as I saw posts saying it was from a couple of weeks ago, but yes I'm not really sure why he shared it.

I just really sat down and thought about the situation for the first time and I don't think it reflects well on Cantwell.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt the first time, and gave him the benefit of the doubt the second time for as long as I possibly could during all the various reasons given - until Farke's sacking where it became clear something was really afoot.

He's really fortunate he gets this new chance now, god knows what would've happened if we were doing really well and Farke was never sacked!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Number9 said:

So questioning topics when we lose badly aka 'attitude issues'

A good leader manages his talent for his own and his employers benefit. 

We've all worked for supervisors or managers who go to bits when someone with talent raises questions. 

Farke's job was on the line, I find it hard to believe he omitted our best creative player during a time the club severely needed him just for sh1ts and giggles. 

33 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m just glad the majority of posters on here aren’t accountants, as their ability to add 2+2 and get 22 is bizarre.

I thought a good accountant would take 2&2 and get you 22 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why the hell has this post come about?

Who does the OP think this may benefit except his own attention seeking self.

Yes, Todd should think more about what he is posting but he has so much free time on his hands he spends a lot of it on social media. Boredom is not a luxury! The worst time of my life was when I was forced into a six week strike. Great for the first week or even two, out with the lads (on the dole) playing football but the last two weeks were the worst of my life. I have always been active, doing something for someone, but I found it hard to live an unstructured life at around the same age that Todd is now, and half of his life is unstructured. For those of you with jobs that took up 40 or 50 hours a week at his age, do you think you may have become a bit bored if you had as much free time as a professional footballer. Why do so many play golf, own racehorses or gamble. Boredom!

What do people think he should do with all the spare time he has, remembering he is 23? I am sure he would welcome your suggestions.

Meanwhile OP if you wish to stir up trouble, try picking on somebody else for a change, or even not bothering at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

It was done because that poster goes for click bait. He seems to get off on getting his thread count upon some competition with one or 2 others. It’s totally ridiculous that at the start of a new era he goes scrabbling around social media trying to create division when we should all be pulling together. It’s clearly been put on here now to get the reaction he wanted and the usual suspects have all piled in.

I’m pretty sure that anything Todd gets up to pales into insignificance when compared to the actions of Grealish, who Smith handled well.We need Cantwell back on the park now and need to stop creating unnecessary division.

There are far too many posters on here who are just attention seeking.

Well said.

Suspect only one of BG or TC will be here come the end of Jan - will be interesting to see which road Webber & smith choose to take 

35 minutes ago, daly said:

Thats a large assumption.

25 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

He is someone who has supported the team and been here longer than anyone else, he is desperate to play for his home team in the top division. Is he going to be so difficult for a manager to motivate? Top players need to be self confident and sometimes arrogant, it has an effect on the opposition

Farke can't deal with strong personalities, his answer is to keep them at a distance that is why I can't see him getting a job with a top club and the reason we are where we are in the league table. 

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I see, so he is just being a bit "Todd Cantwell". I don't think he realises how much resentment there could be at him for not being involved for weeks and weeks and how much he might have contributed to Farke's off field difficulties.

Personally I 100% blame Farke for that absence. There is a clear trend of Farke excluding players who he may not have seen eye to eye with on certain things 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, daly said:

Now it’s up to him 

Yes it is up to him but if Farke had genuine reasons to leave him out and empty his first team locker then we have to assume it was something quite serious.

If (and I mean if) it's an attitude problem is that going away, unlikely, but as you rightly said it's now 100% down to him to show Smith that he deserves his place back in the changing room and squad.

I cannot imagine for 1 second that Webber would let Farke make these kind of decisions without being fully aware of the facts and then supportive of the actions.

He has the 'chance' now to get back inside with the new.manager, so let's see if he takes it; if not then maybe Farke was right with the way he handled it.

For the record, I have no issue with him and want him back to his best as he clearly is a talent and currently a wasted talent.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

cantwell.png

2 week old message? That may very well not even relate to anything to do with NCFC?

Why sh1t stir, Cambridge?

This board these days is unbelievable.

• Like 3