Sign in to follow this  
Pugin

A weight will have been lifted when we face Southampton

I don't seek to show disrespect towards Daniel, but I believe that the team will play with greater freedom and enjoyment now that he has gone. I have always had a problem with his monotonous voice and his ability to talk a point to death without pausing for breath. I don't question his intellect, but sometimes less is more and boredom is the danger. It very much felt like his was the only voice in the briefings and in the changing room and a little of it goes a long way.

We shall see. I am ever the optimist and I may be kidding myself, but I feel that against Southampton we shall see a rejuvenated team that plays with less tension. Dean Smith (presumably he will be the man) has the capacity to lighten the mood and I can see a positive response from the players, which will carry us through the first 8 or 10 games. The smiles will return.

• Like 3

On the flip, how are we going to feel if we ship 4 goals without reply?  Everything soon comes flooding back in a heartbeat, and it just feels like our luck in this league for that to happen.

Doesn't seem to matter what happens, something hits us in the balls.  VAR, Covid/Lockdowns, Injuries etc.  Feels like a curse being in the prem, even international breaks are crap.  We win the day we're gonna sack the manager, we beat Leicester and Spurs exactly before lockdown, Our players limbs fall off or they get ill during pre-season.

Moan, moan, moan. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Pugin said:

I don't seek to show disrespect towards Daniel, but I believe that the team will play with greater freedom and enjoyment now that he has gone. I have always had a problem with his monotonous voice and his ability to talk a point to death without pausing for breath. I don't question his intellect, but sometimes less is more and boredom is the danger. It very much felt like his was the only voice in the briefings and in the changing room and a little of it goes a long way.

We shall see. I am ever the optimist and I may be kidding myself, but I feel that against Southampton we shall see a rejuvenated team that plays with less tension. Dean Smith (presumably he will be the man) has the capacity to lighten the mood and I can see a positive response from the players, which will carry us through the first 8 or 10 games. The smiles will return.

Good post, Pugin. Absolutely love Farke, have nothing but respect for the man. But I agree, it does increasingly feel that things had become a bit stagnant unfortunately, and not just in terms of results. I’m so looking forward to the Saints game now, truth be told I feared this fixture a little as we don’t often get a positive result against them these days, but I don’t feel like that now! It’s a big ask to implement Smith’s ideas in just a few days but I think Saturday 3pm will see Carrow Rd buzzing now and the players responding in kind!

A smart and savvy move by Webber I feel.

Agree it's no disrespect to Daniel Farke to want Dean Smith to get us climbing up the table. Like there was never any disrespect towards Ron Saunders when we got behind John Bond.

We still got relegated mind....

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Agree it's no disrespect to Daniel Farke to want Dean Smith to get us climbing up the table. Like there was never any disrespect towards Ron Saunders when we got behind John Bond.

We still got relegated mind....

Indeed…….but he got us back up first hit and kept us up another 5 seasons, till that damn Man City came in! If Smith does that no one will complain!💚💛

• Like 1

This is the first time this season I've felt anything like optimism. I love DF but have dreaded each matchday this year. Now it's here, a fresh start just seems exactly what we need. Oh, and a win!

21 minutes ago, Pugin said:

I will Blame you when it goes breasts up 

Just now, Indy said:

Indeed…….but he got us back up first hit and kept us up another 5 seasons, till that damn Man City came in! If Smith does that no one will complain!💚💛

that's how we roll Indy. 

To be fair I think we can stay up so the relevance is that we didn't lose respect for Ron Saunders when we fell in love with John Bond.💛💚 

• Like 1

This is all rather tenuous to say the least. Facing the media must be one of the most boring parts of being a football manager, and English wasn’t his first language - no wonder he seemed to be mono-toned and long-winded. 

• Like 1

Could end up being a weird trivia question, if Dean Smith loses, he'll have lost to Southampton is successful league games in the same season, guessing that's never happened in the premier league before? 

1 hour ago, Pugin said:

That's the spirit 👏 onwards and upwards.

5 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

I will Blame you when it goes breasts up 

Since the moment the season started it's been breasts-up, or dead in the water, or on the rocks, or up the creek without a paddle etc etc. Without even trying I can't think of half a dozen improvements we will see:

• Omabamidele will be the first defensive name on the teamsheet. It's overdue. Dean will be amazed by how good he is.
  • We'll get distribution from the goalkeeper flowing far more fluidly. 
  • He will find a way of getting a good contribution from Billy Gilmour, making us less predictable.
  • Workrate will no longer be valued over effectiveness. Pukki and Sargent in particular will benefit.
  • Players will be allowed to express themselves better. Self-expression and and inventiveness will not be a frowned upon.
  • No one will be unfairly frozen out in the way Todd and Gilmour have been. 

There, I told you I am an optimist! 

The team did look constrained by the systems and tactics by the end and had lost belief that what they were being asked to do could work. I am hoping that there will be less obsession with possession stats. 

With the first win now ground out, an international  break to take minds off the survival battle and a new voice and approach I do feel optimistic now. 

The timing of DF's departure may have looked harsh at the time but in the bigger scheme of things, absolutely right.

• Like 1

It’s a shame that both our next two opponents  are actually in good form, especially Wolves. They are widely regarded as “winnable gsmes” which they are but both will be very difficult. 

I fancy whoever's in charge will see us beat Soton as the whole place will be ' up for it '. Whether that can be sustained is another matter. There's a glimmer of hope now but the likelihood is we'll be relegated anyway so I'm thinking will the new coach be able to cut it in the Championship and achieve promotion.

20 hours ago, Pugin said:

Dean Smith has his work cut out to save our season he will need to make up 6 points over our rivals at the bottom whilst trying to get to know the club, staff and players. It's a tough ask but I think its a positive move. The one big plus for me is, we have lost DF's defeatist attitude about playing bigger or better equipped clubs which is just about everyone else in this league, which gives the wrong message to the players. I hope DS is positive about every game and gets the players fighting for the cause.

22 hours ago, Pugin said:

Nothing like a honest bit of hidden xenophobia 

• Confused 1