Sign in to follow this  
thebigfeller

This is a very good appointment. Very good news.

How often are Norwich ever likely to be able to recruit a manager who's already proven themselves in the Premier League? Almost never. We're very small potatoes at this level; ambitious managers are likely to ignore us, especially with our budget. He's already done what Farke (albeit amid extremely mitigating circumstances) couldn't. He's already done the exact thing we want most of all: to stay in this league.

And if we don't, he's also already been successful in the Championship. All while hugely improving young players, playing progressive football and leaving every club he's been at better placed than when he came in.

Personally, I strongly suspect the new Brexit rules have made our recruitment harder and managerial search harder too. Think about Knutsen for a moment: imagine we wanted him. Then we'd've had to wait for special dispensation... and what if it was rejected? Then we'd really be talking about second choice appointments, hobbled before they even start.

Of the three names widely reported, Smith is by far the least risky and ticks by far the most boxes. His only real crime here is not to be some exotic name. He's solid and reliable and it's being counted against him in the aftermath of firing a manager many fans were besotted with. Not only that - but football at the top level is so bats**t nowadays that we might end up as good as he can do post-Villa. It's very hard to imagine one of the super clubs ever giving him a second thought. But he has a major point to prove nonetheless.

He is absolutely the best we could've done in our circumstances. And his knowledge about us (based on reports of how his interview went) is a major plus. He'll fit within the model, not make stupid demands and not make it about him either. It's about the team and the squad where he's concerned... and his remit will be to get the absolute most from the players we already have.

We'll never know if Webber had an inkling or more than that about Villa sacking him. But even if not, the flexible thinking we've done isn't a bad thing in any way. It's a very good thing. Assuming it happens - assuming everything is signed and sealed tomorrow - I'm delighted.

Welcome, Deano! 

OTBC

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

OK let’s not go overboard till we see the result! He’s no Ranieri!

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

OK let’s not go overboard till we see the result! He’s no Ranieri!

Indeed he's not. Unlike Ranieri, he doesn't have two relegations and a 1-0 defeat at home to the Faroe Islands on his CV.

(And I say that as a huge fan of Claudio, who's an absolute diamond).

That’s cause he’s not as good as Ranieri to get the big opportunities at big clubs!😉 

PS Just having a bit of Saturday fun!……won the EPL title spending less than Smith! And by the end of this season Smith will have that 1 relegation on his CV…….Probably!

Edited by Indy

Under Smith Villa have lost 1 less game than us this season and could have  joined us in the bottom 3 next week.

Excuse me for not bouncing around the place like an excited kid.

Uninspiring is an understatement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Under Smith Villa have lost 1 less game than us this season and could have  joined us in the bottom 3 next week.

Excuse me for not bouncing around the place like an excited kid.

Uninspiring is an understatement. 

Who did you think we were going to get, Lampard ?

2 hours ago, thebigfeller said:

How often are Norwich ever likely to be able to recruit a manager who's already proven themselves in the Premier League? Almost never. We're very small potatoes at this level; ambitious managers are likely to ignore us, especially with our budget. He's already done what Farke (albeit amid extremely mitigating circumstances) couldn't. He's already done the exact thing we want most of all: to stay in this league.

And if we don't, he's also already been successful in the Championship. All while hugely improving young players, playing progressive football and leaving every club he's been at better placed than when he came in.

Personally, I strongly suspect the new Brexit rules have made our recruitment harder and managerial search harder too. Think about Knutsen for a moment: imagine we wanted him. Then we'd've had to wait for special dispensation... and what if it was rejected? Then we'd really be talking about second choice appointments, hobbled before they even start.

Of the three names widely reported, Smith is by far the least risky and ticks by far the most boxes. His only real crime here is not to be some exotic name. He's solid and reliable and it's being counted against him in the aftermath of firing a manager many fans were besotted with. Not only that - but football at the top level is so bats**t nowadays that we might end up as good as he can do post-Villa. It's very hard to imagine one of the super clubs ever giving him a second thought. But he has a major point to prove nonetheless.

He is absolutely the best we could've done in our circumstances. And his knowledge about us (based on reports of how his interview went) is a major plus. He'll fit within the model, not make stupid demands and not make it about him either. It's about the team and the squad where he's concerned... and his remit will be to get the absolute most from the players we already have.

We'll never know if Webber had an inkling or more than that about Villa sacking him. But even if not, the flexible thinking we've done isn't a bad thing in any way. It's a very good thing. Assuming it happens - assuming everything is signed and sealed tomorrow - I'm delighted.

Welcome, Deano! 

OTBC

Well said big feller. 👏 

This is about the only thread recently that makes any ounce of sense. 

And I’m terrified that the OP, with a name such as @thebigfeller , is actually a Binner ‘cos damn that name is a shocker! 

Edited by Danke bitte
Bleurgh

4 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

This is about the only thread recently that makes any ounce of sense. 

And I’m terrified that the OP, with a name such as @thebigfeller , is actually a Binner ‘cos damn that name is a shocker! 

I wondering in what way he’s big? I’m guessing feet

Villa fan visiting your forum to check on your thoughts re Dean Smith appointment. Hope this is ok? Think this is a great appointment for you. Realise Villa have lost last 5 games but 2 or 3 of these results could have easily gone Villa’s way. These came after we beat Everton and Man Utd at Old Trafford. Think you need to look a bit deeper at what he did for Villa since taking over. We were languishing towards bottom of Championship. He took us on a 10 game win streak and secured promotion via play-offs. We then survive first season in Premier League and finish mid table the season after. Been a transitional season this with loss of Grealish and new players coming in. Personally think it was an appalling decision to sack him but sadly that is the appalling standards/morals of British football. Genuinely hope you start to pick up some results and stay in the Premier League under Dean Smith…you have a win and hopefully that momentum will carry forward. If not, I suspect Villa could end up slugging it out with you to stay up with the untested and unproven Stevie G at the helm. Time will tell. You now have a manager who is tested and proven in your situation. He is also a good honest man! Good luck Norwich…good luck Dean Smith. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Norm said:

Villa fan visiting your forum to check on your thoughts re Dean Smith appointment. Hope this is ok? Think this is a great appointment for you. Realise Villa have lost last 5 games but 2 or 3 of these results could have easily gone Villa’s way. These came after we beat Everton and Man Utd at Old Trafford. Think you need to look a bit deeper at what he did for Villa since taking over. We were languishing towards bottom of Championship. He took us on a 10 game win streak and secured promotion via play-offs. We then survive first season in Premier League and finish mid table the season after. Been a transitional season this with loss of Grealish and new players coming in. Personally think it was an appalling decision to sack him but sadly that is the appalling standards/morals of British football. Genuinely hope you start to pick up some results and stay in the Premier League under Dean Smith…you have a win and hopefully that momentum will carry forward. If not, I suspect Villa could end up slugging it out with you to stay up with the untested and unproven Stevie G at the helm. Time will tell. You now have a manager who is tested and proven in your situation. He is also a good honest man! Good luck Norwich…good luck Dean Smith. 

Exactly. 

Norwich fan in an area of Villa fans and the sensible fans are all saying he was sacked too soon and seem very uninspired with the Gerrard appointment. 

Seems to be a lot of concern for the season ahead. I think you’ll be fine. But it is nice to know that we are getting a manager that is well thought of and deserved a bit more time.

Injuries and coronavirus have effected the team badly and I remember Brentford being particularly bad for Villa.

All in all, I’m buzzing we are getting a stable manager and regardless of the season outcome, he knows the championship.

I'll give Dean Smith the next 7 games and see whereabouts we are in the league, before I decide whether to send him a Christmas card, or not.....

Agree wholeheartedly with OP, Deano will do for me.  One significant advantage of appointing Smith is he will know about most of our players from previous experience playing City.  Expect Todd to be quickly integrated into the first team which can only benefit the team.