Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Smith's first jobs....

Imo of course - sort out the Cantwell situation, preferably by selling him as soon as possible and send Gilmour back to Chelsea straight away - and get the rest galvanised for the rest of the season. Cantwell has spent too much time out of the team at the start of two seasons in a row because of lack of focus or whatever and it really isn't good enough. Gilmour may be a good player, but doesn't seem cut out for a team fighting near the bottom of the table.

Contentious, yes, but true? Probably.  I dare say Smith will come in and say a clean slate for everyone, but I for one am no longer under any illusion about these two players.  He will be Mr Nice guy to start with, but he will have some tough decisions pretty quickly.

Yes what we need to do is sell one of our few proven premiership quality players and ship one of Chelsea’s brightest emerging talents back to them.

Imagine his job is to get both of them and every other player playing to their potential, not start by ostracising anyone.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 15

In order of importance and all 4 of these key issues need addressing very quickly if we're going to have any chance

1. Squad morale and re installing confidence

2. defensive structure and set piece organization

3. Installing a structure and work ethic without the ball because we currently have nothing

4. Coaching new patterns of play to get our attacking players in better spaces with team mates more available to pass to

Work some magic to sort out these main key problems we have and we might start picking up a few more results. 

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

sort out the Cantwell situation, preferably by selling him as soon as possible

Based on what factual reasoning?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Imo of course - sort out the Cantwell situation, preferably by selling him as soon as possible

No Cantwell means no survival

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

And that could mean Smith being sacked like Stringer.

He’ll be wanting to get the best out of every player he has available so getting shot of Cantwell and Gilmore will be absolutely the last thing he will do.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Imo of course - sort out the Cantwell situation, preferably by selling him as soon as possible and send Gilmour back to Chelsea straight away - and get the rest galvanised for the rest of the season. Cantwell has spent too much time out of the team at the start of two seasons in a row because of lack of focus or whatever and it really isn't good enough. Gilmour may be a good player, but doesn't seem cut out for a team fighting near the bottom of the table.

Contentious, yes, but true? Probably.  I dare say Smith will come in and say a clean slate for everyone, but I for one am no longer under any illusion about these two players.  He will be Mr Nice guy to start with, but he will have some tough decisions pretty quickly.

Sell Cantwell as soon as possible ? 

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hairy Canary said:

He’ll be wanting to get the best out of every player he has available so getting shot of Cantwell and Gilmore will be absolutely the last thing he will do.

Somehow I think you are so correct

Unless  he's been looking at all the posts and said to himself. I better listen to the pinkun posters 😂he's no fool. Wish him all the best in getting the best out of the players and moving up the table.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Au contraire Monsieur LDC, get them both back in the team, starting next Saturday.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

In order of importance and all 4 of these key issues need addressing very quickly if we're going to have any chance

1. Squad morale and re installing confidence

2. defensive structure and set piece organization

3. Installing a structure and work ethic without the ball because we currently have nothing

4. Coaching new patterns of play to get our attacking players in better spaces with team mates more available to pass to

Work some magic to sort out these main key problems we have and we might start picking up a few more results. 

I think the 1-4 is interchangeable in terms of order - and I’d add attacking set-pieces into 2….we’ve been rather ordinary at both under Farke.

LDC’s idea that we sell Cantwell and bin off Gilmour is slightly mad. One or both being in the side could well help us.

So the answer is to play neither the same as Farke did? It seems that you are blaming these two for the sacking. The only people who know what happened are within the club and made the decision. Farke messed up. 

Cantwell is more attached to the club and has been here longer than anyone. Gilmour joined because he thought he would get more minutes than at Chelsea, probably he's had less. It might be too late for us to make use of two of our most skilful players and that's down to our former manager. 

First thing Brummy Dean has to do is put his 'Peaky Blinders' box set away into the cupboard and then watch instead the dvd's of all our games since August 14th....

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I would have thought one of the first things is to get Cantwell to extend his contract. Selling him in January would be at a severely reduced price. I have no doubt Cantwell's issue was with Farke, not NCFC. Likewise we need to get Gilmour playing for us the same way that he does for Scotland. We are thin on the ground in terms of quality in midfield, McLean, Rupp probably PLM are Championship at best. Ending a loan early won't help NCFC get quality loans in the future if we can't be trusted to develop a player.

• Like 1

You really are a t**t. Why would anyone expect a new manager to dispose of two of the better players on the NCFC books. Particularly Cantwell. One  of the best attacking midfielders we have, bearing in mind we work under a self supporting model!  Blaming them for the demise of your beloved Farke is your problem. Farke got himself sacked, full stop, due to his persistence in freezing players out, just like he did before in  the previous season, and because his results in the premier league were sh***, and the club found themselves  bottom of the league (again) under his leadership. 

• Like 3

Isn’t his job to get points and keep us up? How he does it is irrelevant!

3 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

You really are a t**t. Why would anyone expect a new manager to dispose of two of the better players on the NCFC books. Particularly Cantwell. One  of the best attacking midfielders we have, bearing in mind we work under a self supporting model!  Blaming them for the demise of your beloved Farke is your problem. Farke got himself sacked, full stop, due to his persistence in freezing players out, just like he did before in  the previous season, and because his results in the premier league were sh***, and the club found themselves  bottom of the league (again) under his leadership. 

Wow. Say what you mean😉. As somebody else said .First think is to get Todd to extend his contract and get BG playing. Kenny is worn out man

Look forward to the two guys playing a big part of the game against Southamton. 

58 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Wow. Say what you mean😉. As somebody else said .First think is to get Todd to extend his contract and get BG playing. Kenny is worn out man

Look forward to the two guys playing a big part of the game against Southamton. 

TC has had plenty of chances to extend his contract. He took an age to sign the previous one too. But what exactly has he done to deserve an extension? P*ss off the manager to the extent of not playing for weeks on end - that's really helped the team, hasn't it..... By delaying he's hoping he will get a better contract because he knows the club would want him to sign to keep his selling price high. I hope the club call his bluff and let him go for next to nothing.

I may be doing him an injustice, but the tail wagging the dog doesn't wash with me - if he doesn't want to sign an extension, just let him go, we've got plenty of good midfielders at the club - and just because he is "one of our own" doesn't mean the sun shines out of his backside. I think he was great once he buckled down last season and could be again, but these episodes where he is out of the team does him and the team no favours.

If he gets picked for Saturday (and why should he be as he cannot be totally PL match fit) then he needs to be pretty darn good to justify his place.  I'm p*ssed off with the way it's gone this season and I don't think it is all Farkes fault - he has carried the can for other people's mistakes and agendas.  Cantwell against Leicester. Kabak against Leeds. Webber's insistence that the players are good enough when we can all see the issues there, from Krul's distribution, Hanley's awkwardness on the ball, weakness in the midfielders, attackers not yet experienced enough. 

We gambled the money we had mainly on young players - and they have not been up to it. Now who's fault is that? Farke's or Webbers?  Can Smith do any better?  We'll see, but I am not overly impressed with the situation. I think Smith has a huge task on his hands - just like Farke did - and we'll see if he can do any better.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Based on what factual reasoning?

I fear you’re going to severely reduce the participants on here if you apply that criteria to posts.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

TC has had plenty of chances to extend his contract. He took an age to sign the previous one too. But what exactly has he done to deserve an extension? P*ss off the manager to the extent of not playing for weeks on end - that's really helped the team, hasn't it..... By delaying he's hoping he will get a better contract because he knows the club would want him to sign to keep his selling price high. I hope the club call his bluff and let him go for next to nothing.

I may be doing him an injustice, but the tail wagging the dog doesn't wash with me - if he doesn't want to sign an extension, just let him go, we've got plenty of good midfielders at the club - and just because he is "one of our own" doesn't mean the sun shines out of his backside. I think he was great once he buckled down last season and could be again, but these episodes where he is out of the team does him and the team no favours.

If he gets picked for Saturday (and why should he be as he cannot be totally PL match fit) then he needs to be pretty darn good to justify his place.  I'm p*ssed off with the way it's gone this season and I don't think it is all Farkes fault - he has carried the can for other people's mistakes and agendas.  Cantwell against Leicester. Kabak against Leeds. Webber's insistence that the players are good enough when we can all see the issues there, from Krul's distribution, Hanley's awkwardness on the ball, weakness in the midfielders, attackers not yet experienced enough. 

We gambled the money we had mainly on young players - and they have not been up to it. Now who's fault is that? Farke's or Webbers?  Can Smith do any better?  We'll see, but I am not overly impressed with the situation. I think Smith has a huge task on his hands - just like Farke did - and we'll see if he can do any better.

Let him go for nothing. WtF kind of statement is that. Then your talking about gambling the money on young players. They are the now and the future of this self funded club. We can't do it any other way with the resources we have. Your blaming individual players for errors. Shhhhit happens sometimes on the pitch.its not an exact science. Smith will relish this challenge.  As I think he has said before he likes to prove people wrong. 

Unfortunately you are still in denial .move on. 

We gambled the money we had mainly on young players - and they have not been up to it. Now who's fault is that? Farke's or Webbers?  Can Smith do any better?  We'll see, but I am not overly impressed with the situation. I think Smith has a huge task on his hands - just like Farke did - and we'll see if he can do 

He’s one of our better players, one of the few ‘game changers’ we have. So yes, you are doing him an injustice……in my opinion.

Perhaps Farke was the problem….and why he’s now sacked? Webber sees all, just a thought. 

Smith will be looking to play Cantwell, not sell him. That will be the clubs general expectation too and why he has already gone back to training with the first team.. 

5 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Wow, unpredictable Cantwell who thinks he is too good for the team transformed into a one man saviour. Dream on!

First jobs:

1. Sort out set piece defending. Better but zonal marking still gives me the willies

2. Leave Pukki up front when we’re defending corners 

3. Improve creativity from midfield (Cantwell could be a solution)

4. Work on fast distribution from Tim Krul (when the situation allows)

Most importantly, bring back confidence and belief

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Imo of course - sort out the Cantwell situation, preferably by selling him as soon as possible and send Gilmour back to Chelsea straight away

This is so ridiculous, it's like self-parody. Performance art.

Either you are to football forums what Bryan Gunn was to football management... or a stunningly brilliant troll given the constant bites you get. Fair play if it's the latter. 

• Like 1

I forsaw that decisions like Farke's insistence of playing McLean ahead of Gilmour would utimately cost him his job...and so it proved

In the early games pre-Normann , he ridiculously played Gulmour as the deep defensive midfielder...just as ridiculous is that since signing Normann, Farke then never released Gilmour further forward where he was free to link midfield to attack. Criminal

If Smith comes in and doesnt ultilise that talent, he'll be equally as culpable.

Cantwell is a slightly different matter.

You'd have to question where his head and heart is at the moment. If he doesnt want to play for/train for a new manager, then he perhaps just doesnt want to be here and it might be time to just cut our losses and cash in

...my feeling however is that he will definitely be in the squad for Saturday