TIL 1010

Latest From Sky at 6.52pm.

2 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Are you seriously suggesting this was the planned outcome. Good grief. 

Not necessarily, whereas you are so willing to write it off.  I do think it more likely that we had target(s) but when Smith became available he became their main guy…and when you look at his record you can see why.  Tbh I can’t see why this should cause you such a problem, but you seem to be desperate for it to have been a mess.

23 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Start of the process. 

If they didn't start working out who to interview until after Smith had been sacked, then it is possible.  

Absolutely this...what a load of cafuffle from so many posters. Ok so back to that Thursday...Webber gets Daniel into his office and says "hey Daniel, we are sacking you instantly after the match this Saturday, also all your backroom guys,  but you are contracted  until then so do your best to give us 3 points from the game, then be on your way, Ta very much"...or...hey Daniel, we are giving you the boot right now, you and your staff, leaving us managerless for the important Brentford game"...honestly, as brutal as it felt or seemed, it was done at the (if ever there is a right moment) proper time, Daniel had a good win to end his time with us, a Premier win under his head coaching.

As to the opinionated reasonings and thoughts about the two sackings that weekend, fact is all we know for certain is that DF and Dean Smith were sacked within a matter of hours of each other...not months or weeks or even days.  Actually what TVB says about working out who to interview etc..the possiblity that the process did not begin until after Smith had already been sacked seems possible...and actually more plausible than many other possible far fetched  opinions being touted on here.

Whatever...if its to be Dean Smith then welcome Dean. You have my support throughout the rest of the season, and yep its going to be a tough one...but get the squad playing to the best of their abilities and as a team and win, draw or lose you will have our backing.

Edited by Essjayess
correction
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, horsefly said:

When he became available he became first choice. It's not a difficult thing to understand. 

It's not difficult to understand but if you are right, then why bother talking to Frank? And no not about drugs 🤣

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

18:52

BREAKING NEWS

Dean Smith will sign a two and a half year contract to become Norwich City’s manager later this evening.

Terms were agreed verbally earlier today, and all the legal necessities passed. 

Norwich are likely to confirm the deal in the next 24 hours, and the club’s bosses will stress that Smith was their first choice from the start of the process to identify Daniel Farke’s replacement.

The key words. Sacking Farke wasn't the start of the process to identify his replacement. There's a subtle difference.

I strongly suspect Webber had lost faith in Daniel after the Chelsea game - & quite possibly before. Ditto with Villa losing faith in Smith getting them into the top 6. Thus (perhaps) Webber was putting out feelers re Dean before sacking Daniel. The timing then became perfect.

Just suspicions mind. But football's pretty incestuous, especially at the top level, & managers (& players) states of mind are going to be a great source of interest throughout the PL . Wheels within wheels doncha know (taps nose & winks).

40 minutes ago, horsefly said:

When he became available he became first choice. It's not a difficult thing to understand. 

That's exactly how I see it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Out of the frying pan and into the fire me thinks

And if he was first choice right from the start what does it say about our selection criteria?

- Proven record of keeping a club in the Premier League

- Proven record of hugely improving young players

- Proven record of overseeing progressive, attractive football

- Has left every club in a better position than when he was appointed

- Is not about himself, but the team and squad

- Likeable and well respected within the game

- Should we get relegated, proven record of success in the Championship as well

- Will be happy to work within the model as a head coach and not make unrealistic demands

- Is driven and hungry, with a point to prove

Edited by thebigfeller
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can't see any scenario where Webber would have been informed by someone that Villa were getting rid of Smith in advance. That just doesn't happen. They are relegation rivals, they aren't going to share what's going on behind the scenes. 

I do think Villa may have pulled the trigger on the back of our decision to sack Farke possibly, just in case we went after any of their targets. 

• Like 2

I heard from the moment he was interviewed  then there was no other choice. it may not of been the initial thought but it became opportunist. Fluid movement is what is needed and to change course is not a bad thing

• Like 1

Just now, alex_ncfc said:

I can't see any scenario where Webber would have been informed by someone that Villa were getting rid of Smith in advance. That just doesn't happen. They are relegation rivals, they aren't going to share what's going on behind the scenes. 

I do think Villa may have pulled the trigger on the back of our decision to sack Farke possibly, just in case we went after any of their targets. 

They were always going to pull the trigger on the back of that last defeat. There'd been a lot of talk about it in the couple of weeks or so beforehand. Nothing about it was out of the blue.

25 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not necessarily, whereas you are so willing to write it off.  I do think it more likely that we had target(s) but when Smith became available he became their main guy…and when you look at his record you can see why.  Tbh I can’t see why this should cause you such a problem, but you seem to be desperate for it to have been a mess.

Absolute rubbish. I rate Smith. And I hope he’ll ride to the rescue.  But I’m not delusional. This has been a mess, from the moment Farke was dismissed. 

• Like 2

Just now, Kingston Yellow said:

Absolute rubbish. I rate Smith. And I hope he’ll ride to the rescue.  But I’m not delusional. This has been a mess, from the moment Farke was dismissed. 

Its only been a mess because you are looking from the outside

2 minutes ago, mastoola said:

Right. So, you’re going to suggest this has been well orchestrated?  

It’s not so difficult.

Thursday Webber recommends to the board Farke should be dismissed.

Saturday the board agree and that he should be told after the Brentford game.

Sunday the process to find a replacement starts.

Lampard and Smith (and maybe others) are available and are interviewed for the job. Smith is the first choice and, as far as anyone on here knows, is the only person to have been offered the post.

Of course we talked to Lampard about what his demands were and how he saw the position because we couldn’t guarantee Smith would accept what we were prepared to offer. Seems pretty straightforward to me. 👍

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

At last, someone who understands how these things work in business.

It has also been a classic example of how fans with adamantine prejudices have spun this. Such as anti-board posters claiming that Lampard was first choice and then turned us down, when there is not a shred of evidence to support that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Right. So, you’re going to suggest this has been well orchestrated?  

How do we know?  Us minions can only speculate  I will agree that the sacking of smith was unexpected and maybe changed the game for Webber   However we still dont know

4 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

You’re welcome to your opinion,  I think otherwise - and that it’s far from delusional.  Not that we had him as target while he was in-post, but as soon as he was booted on Sunday he was firmly on the list. Several respected journos have said as much, I don’t see why you insist on disbelieving it.

5 minutes ago, mastoola said:

Not just looking at it from the outside but believing - because they so much want to believe - every unsourced and unverified rumour, especially those concerning Lampard from his media fan club.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Not just looking at it from the outside but believing - because they so much want to believe - every unsourced and unverified rumour, especially those concerning Lampard from his media fan club.

Out of likes but spot on!

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just believe that a man came into ncfc just over 4 years ago and look how our club has changed

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

You’re welcome to your opinion,  I think otherwise - and that it’s far from delusional.  Not that we had him as target while he was in-post, but as soon as he was booted on Sunday he was firmly on the list. Several respected journos have said as much, I don’t see why you insist on disbelieving it.

Blimey. I imagine you listen to 5 Live and Jeremy Vine and feel that everything sounds plausible. 

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Yeah, I think that's possible and when you look at the names that have been involved you would have to admit on balance Smith is probably the most likely to keep us up / the safest / a combination. 

And that's coming from someone who didn't want Smith (although having read up on his career I've warmed to the idea)

1 hour ago, Kingston Yellow said:

How ridiculous.  As if anyone, anywhere, given the pantomime, would believe this be first choice. 

Oceania was at war with EastAsia. Oceania has always been at war with EastAsia.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Blimey. I imagine you listen to 5 Live and Jeremy Vine and feel that everything sounds plausible. 

The hell I do - Vine is a complete and utter ****.

• Like 2

Smith was at no point part of the decision to sack Farke. The timing and manner of Farke's dismissal only points to the idea the club knew who they had earmarked as Farke's replacement and moved to try to get him.

Who that man was perhaps we will never know. But it wasnt Smith.

Smith may well in the eyes of the board be an even better candidate than the man they had earmarked. But that's not the discussion being had.

We’re not going to get much better in our predicament, our finances and our status. So good luck to Smith if he does get the gig and decides it’s for him. Has he been linked to the Rangers job by any chance?

1 hour ago, thebigfeller said:

- Has left every club in a better position than when he was appointed

You know, I’d take this after our last PL season and our performance so far in this one. Even relegation in a respectable 19th would be an achievement IMHO. If he can achieve 17th, I would hope everyone on this board would acknowledge the scale of the improvement.