Sign in to follow this  
Derby Canary

Did the wrong man get sacked?

A couple of weeks ago Stuart Webber confirmed that our Club was not in a position to sign established Premiership players and too much was expected of our Summer recruits who were investments for the future. Daniel was therefore asked to establish our Club in the Prem with these youngsters minus Emi and what seems to be a disenchanted Cantwell. Sent to 'war' once again without a rifle and with rookie 'troops'.

I believe the signings with the exception of Normann have been less than inspiring - who exactly was responsible for that?

I'll ask again - WAS THE WRONG MAN SACKED?

• Like 2

Yes, I think so. Absurd to make such a knee-jerk sacking after a short run of poor form, especially when he had so much credit in the bank and how much he was loved by the fans. 

But fortunately for us, it meant that he was available to become our new coach.

• Like 4
  • Haha 14

4 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Yes, I think so. Absurd to make such a knee-jerk sacking after a short run of poor form, especially when he had so much credit in the bank and how much he was loved by the fans. 

I'm glad I read that to the end before commenting 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Out of reactions! 😆

Top post!

OTBC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Head.... Hurts.... 🙂

18 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Haha brilliant 😂

29 minutes ago, Derby Canary said:

and what seems to be a disenchanted Cantwell.

Are you claiming that Cantwell is disenchanted because of Webber? 

Its clearly a fall out with Farke.

YES!

The person who recruited the batch of dross in the last window, should go. If we assume it was Webber, then he should have gone.

if he thought any of them would have a bigger sell on value in a year or two he will be lucky not to show a loss on them all.

should have bought less in numbers, and ready for the PL, not for the future.

Sadly Daniel has been the fall guy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Derby Canary said:

A couple of weeks ago Stuart Webber confirmed that our Club was not in a position to sign established Premiership players and too much was expected of our Summer recruits who were investments for the future. Daniel was therefore asked to establish our Club in the Prem with these youngsters minus Emi and what seems to be a disenchanted Cantwell. Sent to 'war' once again without a rifle and with rookie 'troops'.

I believe the signings with the exception of Normann have been less than inspiring - who exactly was responsible for that?

Absolutely not.

No reason why Webber can't be sacked further down the line.

Whilst every 'responder' has so far been supportive of Webber nobody has answered my original point ie Webber supplied the Summer recruits that he admits were largely 'investments' not day one Prem performers. Though how he regards the headless chicken (Sargent) as even an investment is beyond me! Farke was expected to survive in the Prem from, you guessed...day one.

Once again sent to the battle field without appropriate ammo!

2 minutes ago, Derby Canary said:

Whilst every 'responder' has so far been supportive of Webber nobody has answered my original point ie Webber supplied the Summer recruits that he admits were largely 'investments' not day one Prem performers. Though how he regards the headless chicken (Sargent) as even an investment is beyond me! Farke was expected to survive in the Prem from, you guessed...day one.

Once again sent to the battle field without appropriate ammo!

Maybe see what someone else gets out of that crop of players before commenting on whether they are useless or not? 

Every player Norwich will buy is an investment for the next few years who we will have to develop. It's basically how we are going to grow as a club, any head coach that comes here will need to mould a team that is more than the sum of its parts, if they can't do that then they won't cut it as Norwich manager.

I suggest you get used to that otherwise you will have a very disappointing and angry existence as a canary.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I refer the OP to the apocryphal words of Zhou Enlai, who was reported (probably wrongly!) to have been asked the following sometime in the early 1970s.

Q: What do you think about the French Revolution?

A: It's too soon to tell. 

42 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

I refer the OP to the apocryphal words of Zhou Enlai, who was reported (probably wrongly!) to have been asked the following sometime in the early 1970s.

Q: What do you think about the French Revolution?

A: It's too soon to tell. 

I hate to ruin what is a great story, but while Zhou did say that the American Chinese-to-English translator who was there confirmed it was in reply to a question about the French événements of 1968. The translator said it was 'a misunderstanding too delicious to correct'.🤓

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

I hate to ruin what is a great story, but while Zhou did say that the American Chinese-to-English translator who was there confirmed it was in reply to a question about the French événements of 1968. The translator said it was 'a misunderstanding too delicious to correct'.🤓

I know. And he was right! 

On 13/11/2021 at 17:23, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its clearly a fall out with Farke.

No clearly about it. That might possibly be supported if Cantwell comes straight in with stellar performances; if Cantwell doesn't immediately reappear, or reappears and is poor then it'll show Farke knew what he was doing. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

No. It was sad to reach the day when the Farke Era had to end, but our start to the season, combined with our capitulation two seasons ago indicated that Farke had not got to grips with life in the Premier league and showed little sign of making that adjustment anytime soon.

On 13/11/2021 at 16:52, Bradwell canary said:

YES!

The person who recruited the batch of dross in the last window, should go. If we assume it was Webber, then he should have gone.

if he thought any of them would have a bigger sell on value in a year or two he will be lucky not to show a loss on them all.

should have bought less in numbers, and ready for the PL, not for the future.

Sadly Daniel has been the fall guy.

35 out of 49 in the PL confirms beyond any measure of doubt that it was the correct decision to remove Farke. Yes Webber may have provided Farke with the 'list' for each signing but the FINAL decision was always down to Farke. 

It's quite clear that almost the entire football world thinks our players are not good enough to survive in the PL. Presumably Dean Smith is one of the few who disagrees with that majority, and we are all about to find out who is right.

If ever we needed a win and a performance, Saturday's game is it.

It's the question  which has been asked all season and for me it won't really be answered until next May if at all but in all likelihood yes the right man was sacked, he had managed lots of PL fixtures and had an abysmal record. It was universally recognised last time that recruitment was dreadful but for me its far too early to say that this time, some of the signings have barely played. The calibre of signings is a million miles from the last batch and you hope Smith will start to get a tune out of them quite quickly.

On 13/11/2021 at 15:53, Derby Canary said:

No

Farke himself said he was happy with the job Webber had done and that this squad was much better than last time, therefore the right man went for the failure of the first ten games,

Surely by sacking Farke Webber is doing his job - it remains to be seen if it has the right results but if it does, then surely he has succeeded. His job is to create stability at the club, give us a decent arsenal to stay up and get results on the pitch. Replacing Farke falls under that mantra, we'll see at the end of the season I guess. A lot of Villa fans loved Smith very much like we loved Farke, give the man time, he could be a good fit - plus, it's not his fault Farke got sacked

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I’ve always wondered about that story, and now I know.  Amazing what you find on the Pinkun !!

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Yes Webber may have provided Farke with the 'list' for each signing but the FINAL decision was always down to Farke. 

Evidence please?

5 hours ago, Derby Canary said:

For myself, It's not overly clear what your 'point' is.

Webber believes that someone could get better from the resources provided, are you in disagreement on that point?

Edited by Google Bot

I'd say 'no' at the moment, but for me a lot of the shine has rubbed off Webber this season for three reasons.

1) Farke's dismissal - both the rather callous manner in which it was done and the apparent lack of any clear plan or list of interesting alternatives

2) Sargent. 10m??? Did Webber even watch him with a football? 1.5m max, perhaps, for a promising and hard-working, but limited, youngster of L1/L2 level.

3) It seems likely that if Smith had not become available, we would have ended up with Lampard, or we would at least have offered him the job. Doesn't suggest Webber's commitment to the project is very deep if he's so ready to panic and go for a celebrity appointment. I imagine he thought it would be popular with the fans. Social media sites suggest otherwise. So Webber also seems rather out of touch. Perhaps he's starting to believe his own publicity.

• Like 1

Whenever I see @Derby Canary post a thread, it reminds me of the one he posted in August 2018, calling me out for daring to back Farke and thinking he could deliver for us that season.

Edited by hogesar
  • Haha 1

Who exactly is going to sack Webber? 

He runs the club.

I know in theory he reports to the Board, but let's face it the Board aren't the most proactive and ultimately act on his advice. 

Delia and Webber are a bit like the Queen and the PM. Yes she's the top dog and has final say, but he's the one who runs the show, he can do what he wants and she'll ultimately have to agree.

For those who want Webber gone the only way will be if he decides to see out his contract and walk.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

No. It was sad to reach the day when the Farke Era had to end, but our start to the season, combined with our capitulation two seasons ago indicated that Farke had not got to grips with life in the Premier league and showed little sign of making that adjustment anytime soon.

For me Farke has been a bit of an enigma. In his early days in common with others I thought he was out of his depth. But with two promotions he has certainly proved us wrong and showed he was more than capable. However I have always felt he was very inflexible with a stubborn touch i.e. use of substitutes and not trying different set ups. He has placed far too much reliance on relying on Pukki with a lack of goal scoring support from both wingers and midfield. It has worked well in the Championship but once it comes to the Premier we are not going to get away with that approach. On the odd occasions that we do break down the flanks it is very noticeable there is never any real presence of a threat in the penalty area.

I fully accept his sacking was a bit ruthless but we were going nowhere this season and that's football. Whether or not Smith will keep us up - time will tell. At least I believe he is better equipped to achieve "the miracle" than Lampard.