Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

No 1 Choice?

I am probably adding two and two to get five, but Webber and Purslow know each other quite well after the Emi transfer talks and went on record about how well that went. Is it remotely possible that Webber was tipped the wink about Smith's potential availability - given that he is a known admirer after talking to him years ago about the Huddersfield role before appointing Wagner.

You know, it just might be that he was the number one choice after all. The timing of the Farke dismissal was predicated by he and his coaches going to Germany on Sunday for a break.

We’ll never know, but I can imagine it won’t take long for people to auto-assume that Smith was 3rd choice if things don’t start well.  My thought is that there was a list with both Lampard and Smith on (once he’d been booted) and possibly Knutsen.  Lampard bowed out when he realised he wasn’t first choice, saving face in the media, some of whom would gladly imply that he’s turned us down.

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

I am probably adding two and two to get five, but Webber and Purslow know each other quite well after the Emi transfer talks and went on record about how well that went. Is it remotely possible that Webber was tipped the wink about Smith's potential availability - given that he is a known admirer after talking to him years ago about the Huddersfield role before appointing Wagner.

You know, it just might be that he was the number one choice after all. The timing of the Farke dismissal was predicated by he and his coaches going to Germany on Sunday for a break.

Just can't see it myself.

If Webber was tipped off about Dean Smith getting the sack he would have waited until just after the actual sacking to push the button on Farke I feel.

Perhaps Farke's position just rapidly became untenable, possibly due to something said, and it was ascertained that he simply had to go before Webber had a chance to have a proper think about replacements. There doesn't have to have been some sort of masterplan.

Just saying "these players are not good enough to stay up" after the Leeds game would, in my opinion, justify the sacking of Farke, because without belief you have no chance. 

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

You can’t be being serious? Villa calls Webber to tip him off that their relegation rival are about to off-load their manager and wondered if they might be interested.  Sound plausible? 

This has been a complete shambles.  And I like Smith.  

I 100% hope this works out, but it’s a complete fluke if so.  And I resent how Farke was treated last weekend, even if it was probably time that we made a change.  How it was done was appalling.

I can believe he wasn’t the original target (seems likely that was Lampard) but as soon as he became available they pivoted to him. Makes sense.

I suspect that’s nonsense but will be the PR version of events.  I suspect they pivoted when Lampard got wind of the confines he would be working under.

Regardless, what is clear is that there was no clear plan when they binned Farke in the manner in they did.

As above, I 100% hope it works out, but pure fluke if so.

10 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I can believe he wasn’t the original target (seems likely that was Lampard) but as soon as he became available they pivoted to him. Makes sense.

I was thinking this too. There was probably someone lined up and then Smith came onto the market (maybe Villa were spooked into taking their action once we had done ours?) which changed Webber's plans.

I don't think it really matters who the number one choice was if it was between Knutsen, Lampard or Smith, hardly a standout candidate at first glance. What we were told is that Smith was interviewed and that he impressed NCFC.

With neither Lampard or Knutsen looking like they had the bottle to do the job now, then it's highly likely Smith became first choice pretty quickly.

Maybe ...just maybe the unexpected avaialability of Smith put him to the top of the list, over and above whoever it was we had in mind when we decided to sack Farke??

I'd hope our board would change their minds and act accordingly if a better candidate suddenly became available

It’s nonsense isn’t it. We’ve always been told that apparently Webber has a succession plan in place in case it’s needed, even down to his own replacement. If that’s the case then very clearly Aston Villa’s manager and lifelong fan wasn’t that succession plan. It’s possible that he favoured Smith over whoever the plan was, once Smith became available 

It does seem an odd coincidence how quick Smith was sacked after Farke.  What is cause and what is effect will be a moot point until/if we are told for certain. Lampard is more looking like the '3rd quote'. Something to make it appear that there was a genuine tendering process. I doubt Webber would have wanted a show pony trading on his name.

4 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I'm not sure that's as far fetched an idea as some others are making out. Webber and purslow worked together at Liverpool. And while we've not paid villa any compo, we may have also saved them from paying up the rest of smith's contract. 

• Like 1

It's clearly nonsense, but will remain the official line. I suggest that we hereby refer to it as 'Dean's myth'.