Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Buzzing about Dean Smith now....

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Office staff better check the mail when it arrives. Two D Smith's could end up with us playing a rough puff pastry system and cooking two holding midfield players.

Post of the day 😂😂😂😂

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If Webber was looking for someone to keep us in the Premier League, why did Smith's name come up with a "Yes", when Smith's previous employers (who are 5 points better off) asked themselves the same question and came up with a "No".

That wasn’t Villa’s aim. Their ambition was a lot more than staying up.

One (or a few) peoples opinion is he wasn’t good enough. Many more fans thought he was, he just wasn’t given enough time (something Farke was given a lot of). Who is right? Who knows but just because Villa believed Smith not to be the right man, doesn’t mean they’re right and we shouldn’t appoint him.

Countless managers get sacked from one job and go on to have highly successful careers.

37 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If Webber was looking for someone to keep us in the Premier League, why did Smith's name come up with a "Yes", when Smith's previous employers (who are 5 points better off) asked themselves the same question and came up with a "No".

Two things are almost certain in the life of a football manager.

1. You'll get sacked (eventually).

2. You may at first do do well and move onto better clubs  - and then get sacked (eventually).

The truth is Farke had lost his way yet the club gave him every chance to turn it around way beyond the patience of any other club in any other league.

We need fresh eyes, fresh thoughts. Smith knows his way around and can hit the deck running. Its simply time for change - to roll the dice.

As others have said - Villa expected better this year and have little patience. They need a change it seems as well although as you clearly state they are 5 points ahead of us still i.e. better.

However, to take your concept further - is Farke a bad manager never to be employed again because we sacked him? Of course not. He will move onto new challenges with some hard learnt experiences. 

• Like 4

. Smith became available for interviews after Villa let him go

. He interviewed at Norwich happy to work with the model we have in place

. He aced the interview and was the better candidate over others 

. Pure circumstance 

How is this process difficult for people to understand? Why is there some conspiracy theory that Webber scrambled around for a new coach and Smith was it?! 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Because he's supposed to be better than Farke. If not for dodgy goal-line technology, Villa would have come down with us. If that goal had been correctly given, there'd be none of this 'Smith kept Villa up with only £143m!' stuff.

There is no reason in my mind to think that Smith will be any more successful than Farke. And that was supposed to be the point of replacing him.

I'll never understand why people think that 'the ungiven goal' would have relegated Villa. If it was given, they might hsve gone up the other end and scored 5....they may never have scored again...who knows ? But to pick out one incident with about 12-14 games to go, is nonsensical to be fair....

Hi All,

Another villa fan here. You guys are going to be getting our best Head Coach/Manager in a very long time. He is absolutely great in terms of player development from Walsall to Brentford to Villa. Has worked wonders with some players, e.g. getting Matt Targett, Ezri Konsa and a few others close to an England call-up, the work with Ollie Watkins, Tyrone Mings, Jack Grealish for England call-ups, (Douglas Luiz for Brazil, Emi Martinez for Argentina, and Matty Cash for Poland yesterday as well) setting the groundwork for Brentford. His record of improving players is top notch as well as taking lower league players and developing them for the Premier League level. 

He has also overachieved with most of the clubs he has worked at. Had Walsall consistently punching above their weight, and now are struggling in League 2. Laid the foundation for Brentford and Thomas Frank to get promoted last year. And saved us in the Championship. We were struggling in mediocrity under Bruce and him coming in changed the whole landscape. Went on a 10 match unbeaten run to lead us to promotion in the final vs Lampard's Derby. Achieved safety in our first PL year while dealing with a large number of incoming players. Last year, got us to our highest position in at least 10 years while playing some of the best football I've seen at Villa Park.

In my head, probably more of a villa legend than Grealish tbh. 

• Like 12

3 hours ago, kirku said:

My thoughts exactly

Mine too, but at the same time, if a good candidate comes along with whom you hadn't reckoned, then is it being opportunistic of flexible to ask him too?

He's not my first choice, but if he really is our new man, he'll deserve the same support/patience I'd have given Farke to start with, but I'm naturally quite patient with managers compared to a lot of fans.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, visitingvillan1 said:

Hi All,

Another villa fan here. You guys are going to be getting our best Head Coach/Manager in a very long time. He is absolutely great in terms of player development from Walsall to Brentford to Villa. Has worked wonders with some players, e.g. getting Matt Targett, Ezri Konsa and a few others close to an England call-up, the work with Ollie Watkins, Tyrone Mings, Jack Grealish for England call-ups, (Douglas Luiz for Brazil, Emi Martinez for Argentina, and Matty Cash for Poland yesterday as well) setting the groundwork for Brentford. His record of improving players is top notch as well as taking lower league players and developing them for the Premier League level. 

He has also overachieved with most of the clubs he has worked at. Had Walsall consistently punching above their weight, and now are struggling in League 2. Laid the foundation for Brentford and Thomas Frank to get promoted last year. And saved us in the Championship. We were struggling in mediocrity under Bruce and him coming in changed the whole landscape. Went on a 10 match unbeaten run to lead us to promotion in the final vs Lampard's Derby. Achieved safety in our first PL year while dealing with a large number of incoming players. Last year, got us to our highest position in at least 10 years while playing some of the best football I've seen at Villa Park.

Who do you think would be the better manager for Norwich? Smith or Lampard?

• Like 1

Interestingly, the Villa-supporting business contact of mine who was giving me some stick when they got Buendia's told me he thinks Smith could do pretty well with us, mirroring Villa fan opinions mentioned here.

12 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I'm definitely biased, but I don't think Lampard is a good manager at all. Smith has succeeded in all 3 of his managerial positions, can't really say the same for mr Frankie Lampard.

19 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Interestingly, the Villa-supporting business contact of mine who was giving me some stick when they got Buendia's told me he thinks Smith could do pretty well with us, mirroring Villa fan opinions mentioned here.

To be fair Gunny I think the views from Villa fans on here has given me much cause for optimism than I first had.

Tbh had we appointed Lampard or Knutsen I would have been extremely nervous, not just because of relegation, but also about the Championship.

Smith, Smith, Smith & Webber.  Sounds like someone with a speech impediment recommending a solicitors.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 1

I've watched a couple of his interviews and talks and he speaks well, seems to be bright with an engaging personality and his Villa team played good football while also being pragmatic in a way when they needed to be, I've seen them score a lot of goals from the counter and as another plus none of his teams have ever leaked goals in a concerning manner. You can't level something like, his teams always get done on the counter or set pieces at him as an obvious flaw like you could with Farke and Lampard for example. His teams aren't overly attacking or defensive but he plays passing football and seems to strike a good balance.  He's more what we need than what we think we want, I think he'll be a good fit here. 

Our best managers imo seem to be the ones who are initially underwhelming with no previous association to the club. I just have a good feeling about this one.

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Smith easily....he's an honest, hard working guy not afraid to get his hands dirty. Lampard strikes me as the kind of guy who can't believe Barcelona haven't come knocking...

1 hour ago, visitingvillan1 said:

Hi All,

Good post, apart from the Cash for Poland credit.... we currently have a Polish international who looks like he should be working in Next. 

55 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I just have a good feeling about this one.

Good post. Can't say I was that excited when he was first linked, but the more I think about it, the more I think we might have had a bit of a stormer here.

54 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I've watched a couple of his interviews and talks and he speaks well, seems to be bright with an engaging personality and his Villa team played good football while also being pragmatic in a way when they needed to be, I've seen them score a lot of goals from the counter and as another plus none of his teams have ever leaked goals in a concerning manner. You can't level something like, his teams always get done on the counter or set pieces at him as an obvious flaw like you could with Farke and Lampard for example. His teams aren't overly attacking or defensive but he plays passing football and seems to strike a good balance.  He's more what we need than what we think we want, I think he'll be a good fit here. 

Our best managers imo seem to be the ones who are initially underwhelming with no previous association to the club. I just have a good feeling about this one.

19/20 season Villa conceded 67 goals finishing in 17th and only Norwich with 75 had a worse record.

So far in the 21/22 season, Villa conceded 20 goals in 11 games, with only Newcastle 24 and Norwich 26 doing worse.

Did well in the 20/21 season though and only conceded 46 goals.

After Spending all week on Ancestry website Delia found Dean Smith was related from her 2nd aunts cousin 

When it was confirmed he was Family she decided he was the best man to work with Tom 

3 hours ago, visitingvillan1 said:

Hi All,

Thanks for this, VisitingVillan1. Was personally very concerned about Lampard taking over, yes great for raising the clubs profile but to me that wasn’t what was remotely important for NCFC right at this moment in time - we need someone proven who can keep us up! I think Dean Smith will be a good appointment for us, and I think he’ll find he’s inheriting a far better squad of players than perhaps what some realise - can see Cantwell and Gilmour for example really thriving under his management and positive style of play. Best of luck to you with Stevie G too 👍

3 hours ago, Danke bitte said:

. Smith became available for interviews after Villa let him go

. He interviewed at Norwich happy to work with the model we have in place

. He aced the interview and was the better candidate over others 

. Pure circumstance 

How is this process difficult for people to understand? Why is there some conspiracy theory that Webber scrambled around for a new coach and Smith was it?! 

For two reasons. One, because some fans have not the slightest clue how selecting and appointing people in business happens. Secondly, because some, who might be the same as the first category, desperately want a narrative that shows the club in a bad light, and yours - which is in tune with how business works in the real world - fails that crucial test. There are some posters here who would prefer an appointment they could attack to an appointment that was the right one, and are so far gone they will attack the right appointment anyway.

• Like 2

i think the best thing is We will have Smith and Shakespeare have a fresh set of eyes selecting the team 

No Favourites   every player has a clean slate and can get in the team if they impress the new management  

it would not surprise me in Sorensen gets some greater game 

also we will find out if Cantwell is selected straight away then it was a fall out between him and Farke 

shakespeare has been around the block a few times he knows if a player should be in the team of not 

i

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

For two reasons. One, because some fans have not the slightest clue how selecting and appointing people in business happens. Secondly, because some, who might be the same as the first category, desperately want a narrative that shows the club in a bad light, and yours - which is in tune with how business works in the real world - fails that crucial test. There are some posters here who would prefer an appointment they could attack to an appointment that was the right one, and are so far gone they will attack the right appointment anyway.

You are 100% correct. But in my special way I just want fans who read this forum, who don’t post, to see a perspective that is balanced and isn’t overtly negative or knee jerk, that’s a certain arrogance about me but I just want fans to think a little bit more than what’s in front of them. 

It’s much better to face these kind of things with a sense of poise and rationality.

Edited by Danke bitte

14 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

19/20 season Villa conceded 67 goals finishing in 17th and only Norwich with 75 had a worse record.

So far in the 21/22 season, Villa conceded 20 goals in 11 games, with only Newcastle 24 and Norwich 26 doing worse.

Did well in the 20/21 season though and only conceded 46 goals.

When I've watched them though I've never noticed that it's because of some glaring tactical flaw like was painfully obvious with Farke and Neil when he was here. Any one whose ever watched a football game could pick apart exactly why we concede so many, I've never noticed that issue with Villa though, it's more a case that they concede some goals becase they're a lower half team with average defenders who do try to play passing football. 

We will still concede a lot by this leagues standards under Smith but I expect us to become less vulnerable and soft and let in a lot less cheap, easy goals from the counter, from individual mistakes and set pieces.