Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Buzzing about Dean Smith now....

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

If its all paper talk and Dean Smith isn't our new manager then yes.

If Dean Smith is our new manager, then lets all hope it doesn't and I'm right. 

In a week full of public man tantrums about Lampard based on a talksport rumour though, I'll take being a bit embarrassed about being excited about Dean Smith.

I'm talking more if he's appointed manager. 

People saying Smith had £xxx m to spend but isn't Villa's set up the same as ours with a Sporting Director (Johan Lange) in charge of recruitment? Highly possible Smith wasn't happy with the incomings no more than Farke was with ours.

If two successive Head Coaches fail to get much out of this squad, then can we assume Webber has failed? Of course it all depends on whether results improve along with performances, and hopefully they will.

4 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Yeah, being honest and it sinking in I'm starting to see more of the positives, wouldn't go as far as buzzing but not as 'hmph' as I was earlier. 

That's fair

Of course we have to welcome him. He is our new coach so we move on from any disappointments and look forward to him turning this awful season around.

Office staff better check the mail when it arrives. Two D Smith's could end up with us playing a rough puff pastry system and cooking two holding midfield players.

• Haha 2

Initially felt a little down when reading Bailey confirming the job being offered, which suggests this is nailed on to be true.

However, been reading more about Smith, watching highlights and a few videos where people access his tactics as a coach.  And I'm feeling much more upbeat.

I just hope he can make us press a little better and tighter defence - Defensively he has to be an upgrade.  Plus is a good experienced man to give a fresh assessment on what we have here and how we build up from this point. 

Also saw that Jack Grealish called him "the goat" within hours of losing his job, just shows that he has great connection with the players.

There's many ideologies he will continue with I believe, such as playing it out from the back and very similar formation style to Farke so more of a progression job than a rewrite I expect?

I really want the Gilmour situation to be sorted one way or the other now though, if Lampard goes to Rangers I don't think you could put a chainsaw between him being recalled and linked up again. We have him here through the Tuchel/Farke link, perhaps it's in our favour to approach Chelsea once Smith is in place and take out any disruptions early.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kanadyan Kanary said:

Why is everyone lauding up Shakespeare?  He was with Smith when he got sacked.

An upgrade on Riemer though, you'd hope. 

Has worked alongside Nigel Pearson, Claudio Ranieri & Sam Allardyce.  So there's some real applicable experience in there.  You don't only learn from successes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

I get the feeling that very quickly this post is going to come back and bite you on the ar*e. 

Your narrow minded attitude and inability to give a new situation a chance will do the same for you, I suspect.

I wouldn’t say I was buzzing, but given the guys experience, what we need and if Webber’s putting his faith in him I’m totally behind the choice.

I think that counts as buzzing, maybe even off the walls delirious, when you read some of the stuff on here.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

There'll be some buzzin' when the family tree's had some scrutiny....

Much more interested in Craig Shakespeare's family tree.

There's a chance of literary genius, but also a chance that he's got an uncle who makes budget fishing tackle. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HoolaOHoolahan said:

If Stuart Webbers shortlist was headed up by Frank Lampard and Dean Smith it's a poor show for a Director of Football. If we do get Dean Smith I will get behind him with support but this feels like a backwards step. Underwhelming.

I think you’re making a stick to beat Webber with out of limited knowledge here. I’m sure others have made this point, but it is possible that Deano was not on the original shortlist (which could well have had other names than Lampard on it), became an option and then performed so impressively that he outshone the other candidates. I’m pretty sure that the first mention of him in connection with the job was something about how he had impressed the hierarch with his understanding of the players and the club.

I was a bit underwhelmed to start with - was excited by the idea of who Webber must have had in mind - but I’m now fully on board with the new man. In Deano I trust. (Assuming he accepts; it would be horrible if he turned it down). 

• Like 1

Just cannot see how somebody who could not get that Villa squad winning is going to get the **** we have in our squad winning . Fully expect to be down by Christmas.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, City 101 said:

Just cannot see how somebody who could not get that Villa squad winning is going to get the **** we have in our squad winning . Fully expect to be down by Christmas.

Never mind the danger! 

4 minutes ago, City 101 said:

At least his Villa team could score goals, 14 this season against our 5, so we might go down but at least Pukki might have some fun and we won't all be bored to death. 

Of all the candidates discussed I simply think Smith gives us the best chance of staying in the EPL. All the rest realistically discussed either have zero EPL experience (with no time to learn for us) or little relegation battle nous or experience.

Smith ticks all the boxes.

It's a good call. Onwards and upwards!

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Yeah, being honest and it sinking in I'm starting to see more of the positives, wouldn't go as far as buzzing but not as 'hmph' as I was earlier. 

I thought if I went to almost Lakey-esque levels of optimistic in my OP (when Lakey is his usual self, he's had a whinge this week) then it would balance out the tantrum throwers and we'd find an equilibrium which sits at least somewhere around "he's worth a punt" point. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I thought if I went to almost Lakey-esque levels of optimistic in my OP (when Lakey is his usual self, he's had a whinge this week) then it would balance out the tantrum throwers and we'd find an equilibrium which sits at least somewhere around "he's worth a punt" point. 

Whinge and tantrum.

B*gger, I was a "Princess" and a "wet-wipe" away from winning TeemuVanBasten Bingo.

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Whinge and tantrum.

B*gger, I was a "Princess" and a "wet-wipe" away from winning TeemuVanBasten Bingo.

You definitely have Pink'un Princess of the Week in the bag canarydan23, don't you worry about that, Lakey has woken up with a sense of perspective today and you've carried on your droning never-ending moanathon. 

14 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Of all the candidates discussed I simply think Smith gives us the best chance of staying in the EPL. All the rest realistically discussed either have zero EPL experience (with no time to learn for us) or little relegation battle nous or experience.

Smith ticks all the boxes.

It's a good call. Onwards and upwards!

If Webber was looking for someone to keep us in the Premier League, why did Smith's name come up with a "Yes", when Smith's previous employers (who are 5 points better off) asked themselves the same question and came up with a "No".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If Webber was looking for someone to keep us in the Premier League, why did Smith's name come up with a "Yes", when Smith's previous employers (who are 5 points better off) asked themselves the same question and came up with a "No".

I'm not sure Villa were worried about getting relegated this year, but they're certainly way way off their supposed "push for Europe" that they were spouting over the summer

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

If you had bothered to read the Villa fans who have posted on various threads you would have seen they fully expected Smith to keep them up but believe their wealthy owner decided he wanted to punt for a lot more than that. So your dichotomy is a false one.

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

They could be proved wrong in that decision and Webber could be proved right.

If every sacked manager was unemployable at their previous level the PL would quickly run out.

Ultimately we have a 5 point gap and goal difference to make up between now and the end of the season, the odds aren’t in our favour, but Webber thinks they are more in our favour with Smith.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You definitely have Pink'un Princess of the Week in the bag canarydan23, don't you worry about that, Lakey has woken up with a sense of perspective today and you've carried on your droning never-ending moanathon. 

Just wet-wipe now...

2 hours ago, essex canary said:

Smith is a true footballing professional who has built his reputation through smaller clubs and with knowledge of the English game up to the highest level.

Why should anyone doubt him?

Because he's supposed to be better than Farke. If not for dodgy goal-line technology, Villa would have come down with us. If that goal had been correctly given, there'd be none of this 'Smith kept Villa up with only £143m!' stuff.

There is no reason in my mind to think that Smith will be any more successful than Farke. And that was supposed to be the point of replacing him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

So, had Villa waited a week before deciding to dispense with Smith, who would we actually be appointing?

If it's Smith, this is an opportunistic appointment. So what was Webber's masterplan? Cuz it wasnt this.

Never underestimate the inner workings of football 

Webber would’ve known about smiths departure at least 2-3 days before it was announced 

1 minute ago, Yobocop said:

Never underestimate the inner workings of football 

Webber would’ve known about smiths departure at least 2-3 days before it was announced 

Would you not prefer a pic of Yobo in a Norwich shirt?

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

Would you not prefer a pic of Yobo in a Norwich shirt?

Naaaa