Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Buzzing about Dean Smith now....

Todd Cantwell will be instantly elevated to star man status, ready to unleash his inner-Grealish.

Rashica was courted by Smith for two years, they tried to sign him for £20m in summer 2020.  Smith will have a plan to incorporate him into his system so that's at least one big ticket signing who won't be written off. 

Watkins is a player who thrived on through balls like Pukki, he did well for goals under Smith.

Then you've got his record of taking Konsa and Watkins to Brentford, and then on to Villa, that's about £4m spent on the pair of them from League One and League Two, now quality Premier League players and one an England International.

You've got Grealish going up a level under Smith and then sold for a record transfer fee for a British player (Pep still hasn't got him ticking like Smith has).

In signing Ashley Young in the summer he's shown he's not afraid of a blend of youth and experience. 

And the bloke has never been relegated, so he's not exactly going to be in the mood to stick the first one on his CV this season is he? He's coming here because he thinks he can keep us up, simple, and I think the problem with Farke is very simple.... he didn't believe that he could.

Can argue all day about whether Smith is an upgrade or a downgrade on Farke, but if one simply doesn't believe in himself and his players at this level then that is the end of the road.

Welcome to Carrow Road Dean Smith.

Deano! Deano! Deano! Deano! Deano! Deano! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

One of the first sensible posts I’ve read on here today. Totally understand he’s not everyone’s first choice, not mine either, but he seems like a good man and would probably fit into our club well. He has a decent range of experience, working with youth and has achieved both promotion and premier league safety as well as working with limited budgets in the past. I’d say he’s a sensible option, whether better than Farke or not I think he has the potential to do well here. This doesn’t distract from the fact our squad needs work, I’m still not convinced we’ve got enough quality there, at least not until until we get Cantwell, Rashica and Pukki firing on all cylinders 

Not sure what I make of the appointment yet, but Dean Smith certainly must have guts and belief to come here given our current situation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ian said:

must have guts and belief to come here given our current situation.

Exactly, and Farke seems to be massively lack the bit in bold. 

That's why he had to go.

I actually think the players will be impressed by this appointment and will be raring to go, especially seeing Shakespeare there too. Not sure Lampard would have had the same impact.

Not because they disliked Farke, but they must have been confused by some of the selections and formations this season, especially against Leeds. Rumours of one or two of them not being happy at being frozen out also. A fresh start for all of them plus we still have the winning feeling from the victory at Brentford!

It will be a bit strange for the fans not seeing Farke in the dugout, but he spent most of the time sitting down anyway, especially of late. Smith seems to have a bit more presence in that respect.

Can't wait for next weekend!

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Is this happening then? The same journos we're saying it was Lampard 2 days ago.

I'm beginning to think they make it up...

Usually when it hits the BBC and they don't attribute the news to a third party its true, it did 2 hours ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59272851

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not buzzing about it but he’s a solid option and im looking forward to seeing what he can do with our squad. I think that some people need to move on from Farke and give Smith a fair crack. 

52 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Todd Cantwell will be instantly elevated to star man status, ready to unleash his inner-Grealish.

Rashica was courted by Smith for two years, they tried to sign him for £20m in summer 2020.  Smith will have a plan to incorporate him into his system so that's at least one big ticket signing who won't be written off. 

Watkins is a player who thrived on through balls like Pukki, he did well for goals under Smith.

Then you've got his record of taking Konsa and Watkins to Brentford, and then on to Villa, that's about £4m spent on the pair of them from League One and League Two, now quality Premier League players and one an England International.

You've got Grealish going up a level under Smith and then sold for a record transfer fee for a British player (Pep still hasn't got him ticking like Smith has).

In signing Ashley Young in the summer he's shown he's not afraid of a blend of youth and experience. 

And the bloke has never been relegated, so he's not exactly going to be in the mood to stick the first one on his CV this season is he? He's coming here because he thinks he can keep us up, simple, and I think the problem with Farke is very simple.... he didn't believe that he could.

Can argue all day about whether Smith is an upgrade or a downgrade on Farke, but if one simply doesn't believe in himself and his players at this level then that is the end of the road.

100% agree. 

5 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

So, had Villa waited a week before deciding to dispense with Smith, who would we actually be appointing?

If it's Smith, this is an opportunistic appointment. So what was Webber's masterplan? Cuz it wasnt this.

My thoughts exactly

9 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

So, had Villa waited a week before deciding to dispense with Smith, who would we actually be appointing?

If it's Smith, this is an opportunistic appointment. So what was Webber's masterplan? Cuz it wasnt this.

I don't give a f*ck about what Webber's masterplan was, I didn't mention Webber once in my OP.

He might not have had a plan, he might just have had a good reason to realise this....

59 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

but if one simply doesn't believe in himself and his players at this level then that is the end of the road

12 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Evidence. How do you know what Webber’s plan was. The football ball game changes daily!

As noted before Dean Smith has never been relegated and has only been coaching for 2 years less than Farke. Farke managed to get Lippstadt from the 6th tier to the 5th tier and keep them there, but aside from that has followed every other promotion with a relegation and I'm counting this year as well because there is just no way in hell he was keeping us up. it shows that for all his virtues he's not really the man for a relegation dog fight. 

Part of what maybe appealed to Webber was his record of winning a couple of relegation battles at Walsall and one with Villa. I've questioned the planning behind this hire but I'm actually pretty happy with Smith to be honest. Yes he's had money to spend but he's shown he can avoid relegation before and by playing decent football. I think he's the only good out of work British manager and his assistants are high calibre as well which is a bonus. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 3

I was anti Lampard and anti Smith.

Having read up on Smith and educated myself on his managerial career to date, and assuming Shakespeare is to be the assistant,  I'm quite optimistic 

• Like 2

I have my concerns but 100% ready to get fully behind Smith and the lads. We definitely will make a better shot at staying up with Smith than having stuck with Farke. Most looking forward to seeing more of the attacking players in our starting 11  

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I was anti Lampard and anti Smith.

Having read up on Smith and educated myself on his managerial career to date, and assuming Shakespeare is to be the assistant,  I'm quite optimistic 

Brentford played some really nice football under Smith.

No idea what happens from here, but I'd honestly take just going down with a few plaudits for trying to play nice football. 

Farke had given up on that. I get that he was going back to basics to keep a few clean sheets etc, but we looked so disjointed in the final third and I don't see how we'd ever play good football without an advanced playmaker, its in our DNA.

Hoolahan would be perfect in this team to calm things down in the final third bring a bit of composure to the inexperienced players around him, but as he's busy tearing up League One.... arise Todd Cantwell! 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Someone said "Better than Lampard and safer than Knutsen." I think that's a fair summary and there's certainly enough in the pros column for Smith to think he might do well. 

I suppose this is the internet, but I'm surprised by people who are certain it's a bad appointment. All managerial appointments are risks. I think Smith improves our chances of staying up,  and is a decent option for the Championship if that's how it pans out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If Stuart Webbers shortlist was headed up by Frank Lampard and Dean Smith it's a poor show for a Director of Football. If we do get Dean Smith I will get behind him with support but this feels like a backwards step. Underwhelming.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I get the feeling that very quickly this post is going to come back and bite you on the ar*e. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kirku said:

My thoughts exactly

I have the words 'we scoured Europe for the best talent, but turns out it was Neil Adams' ringing in my ears. Non-plussed by Smith. If Farke's dismissal was about more than results fair enough (though why give him a 4 year contract) but Im not convinced we've upgraded at all here. 

Still, Id have Smith over fat Frank

• Like 1

Smith is a true footballing professional who has built his reputation through smaller clubs and with knowledge of the English game up to the highest level.

Why should anyone doubt him?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

I get the feeling that very quickly this post is going to come back and bite you on the ar*e. 

If its all paper talk and Dean Smith isn't our new manager then yes.

If Dean Smith is our new manager, then lets all hope it doesn't and I'm right. 

In a week full of public man tantrums about Lampard based on a talksport rumour though, I'll take being a bit embarrassed about being excited about Dean Smith.

37 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I guess the masterplan was to get in the best manager he could. When Smith became available he quite rightly invited him to interview. Seems that interview convinced him he was the best option. No problems with that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, being honest and it sinking in I'm starting to see more of the positives, wouldn't go as far as buzzing but not as 'hmph' as I was earlier.