Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Absolute master stroke by Webber

If (and we’re still talking in ifs as nothing has been confirmed) Dean Smith is appointed this is nothing short of a master stroke by Stuart Webber 

▶️ Kept Villa in the premier league for two season - yes he spent £100+ in first season but this was enforced due to out of contract players etc, we’ve spent £60m and we’re much better set 

▶️ Will develop the younger players we have at the club, look at Jack Grealish, whilst he had that raw talent there was something not quite right with his temperament, sound familiar? He will be the best out of not only Cantwell but also the likes of Tzolis and in the short term Gilmour 

▶️ Able to operate the 4-3-3 system successfully something I felt our recruitment was leaning towards in the summer 

▶️ Villa fans are gutted to lose him (maybe because he was one of their own) and he is well respected amongst the wider football audience, not only for keeping Villa up but also the work he did at Walsall and Brentford - Smith will also have a point to prove now 

▶️ Craig Shakespeare - a well respected and fantastic number two, who was part of the Leicester coaching team who won the Premier league not so long ago 

Most I know will get behind the new manager but hopefully the minority’s voice will be drowned out. 

I get it; it’s not the most inspiring name (if his name was Deanos Smithaldo you’d all be falling over yourselves)  but you cannot ignore the facts and Smiths experience, this is a fantastic appointment , well done NCFC 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

It isn't a fantastic appointment, or a master stroke, or any other superlative until it is seen as successful in terms of results. I'll get positive about getting behind him and supporting what he tries to do, but if he doesn't get results, it is the opposite of a master stroke, so lets just see what happens, eh? 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

Shakespeare is a big plus for me, enough to make me go and actually research Smiths career (which it's clear a lot of our fans haven't  done, and I hadn't until today) - it's all pretty positive.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Shakespeare is a big plus for me, enough to make me go and actually research Smiths career (which it's clear a lot of our fans haven't  done, and I hadn't until today) - it's all pretty positive.

What, actually research before having an opinion 😱

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, It's Character Forming said:

What, actually research before having an opinion 😱

Well, if i'm totally honest no. I had an opinion of "No I don't want Smith", and THEN I decided to go do some research.

It's better than not ever bothering to research though, I guess 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

If (and we’re still talking in ifs as nothing has been confirmed) Dean Smith is appointed this is nothing short of a master stroke by Stuart Webber 

▶️ Kept Villa in the premier league for two season - yes he spent £100+ in first season but this was enforced due to out of contract players etc, we’ve spent £60m and we’re much better set 

▶️ Will develop the younger players we have at the club, look at Jack Grealish, whilst he had that raw talent there was something not quite right with his temperament, sound familiar? He will be the best out of not only Cantwell but also the likes of Tzolis and in the short term Gilmour 

▶️ Able to operate the 4-3-3 system successfully something I felt our recruitment was leaning towards in the summer 

▶️ Villa fans are gutted to lose him (maybe because he was one of their own) and he is well respected amongst the wider football audience, not only for keeping Villa up but also the work he did at Walsall and Brentford - Smith will also have a point to prove now 

▶️ Craig Shakespeare - a well respected and fantastic number two, who was part of the Leicester coaching team who won the Premier league not so long ago 

Most I know will get behind the new manager but hopefully the minority’s voice will be drowned out. 

I get it; it’s not the most inspiring name (if his name was Deanos Smithaldo you’d all be falling over yourselves)  but you cannot ignore the facts and Smiths experience, this is a fantastic appointment , well done NCFC 

Yep dig it. And not just Grealish:

As I've said in another post; Target, Cash, Mings, Watkins, McGinn. Have fulfilled potential very organically under Smith. 

Would be excited to see what he can achieve with Cantwell, Kabak, Normann, Tzolis, Rashica etc... Might even play Gilmour.

I would also say that if he'd been in since the start of the season, the tank/grenades etc, or whatever Webber's favourite battle analogies are, recruitment may not have been dissimiliar. 

Seems to be widely respected by football community, the club's he's been at, players who have played for him. I get people being underwhelmed, but this major upset over his appointment is ridiculous...

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It isn't a fantastic appointment, or a master stroke, or any other superlative until it is seen as successful in terms of results. I'll get positive about getting behind him and supporting what he tries to do, but if he doesn't get results, it is the opposite of a master stroke, so lets just see what happens, eh? 

I think you can credit the appointment based on his previous experience LDC

you are quite right however that the proof will be in the pudding 

1 minute ago, youngriles said:

As I've said in another post; Target, Cash, Mings, Watkins, McGinn. Have fulfilled potential very organically under Smith. 

Would be excited to see what he can achieve with Cantwell, Kabak, Normann, Tzolis, Rashica etc... Might even play Gilmour.

I would also say that if he'd been in since the start of the season, the tank/grenades etc, or whatever Webber's favourite battle analogies are, recruitment may not have been dissimiliar. 

Seems to be widely respected by football community, the club's he's been at, players who have played for him. I get people being underwhelmed, but this major upset over his appointment is ridiculous...

Well said 

Just now, Virtual reality said:

Makes me wonder why Villa didn’t keep him if he’s such an amazing appointment 

Different situations for different times… 

2 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

If he keeps us up this season, and the next he'll be seen as a Messiah. If he has a bad run start of the following season, we'll bin him off too. That's football!

Just now, Yobocop said:

Different situations for different times… 

Villa we’re getting themselves into a relegation battle with 5 defeats on the spin and decided he wasn’t the man to steer them to safety. But he’s the man to steer us to safety…

1 minute ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Different expectations for different teams...

Different drinks for different needs….

I'm much happier with Smith then Lampard but can't help thinking we should be setting our stall out a bit higher to replace Farke, who PL stats aside was ticking a lot of boxes

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Please give me some links for some positive research, because I just did a bit of reading about his entire management career and to say I’m underwhelmed is the understatement of the year. I wasn’t happy before hand but I’m even less so now. I wish I hadn’t bothered.

Personally I think Farke’s achievements are overall superior to Smiths. Especially when you consider the bucket load of money he’s had at his disposal recently and the fact that he’s underachieved at a club the size of Villa , given their expectations comparative to ours.

So yeah, please sell this to me cos I am as deflated as I’ve ever been in all my years as a city fan.

He might turn us down yet.

Its not an exciting appointment in the way Knutsen would be but if he is appointed, then I and hopefully everyone else will get behind him and see if we can achieve the impossible.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Same with Farke here, got in a rut, lost his way, club needed a fresh start etc. A change is as good as a rest. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

25 minutes ago, youngriles said:

...and he was after Rashica whilst at Villa..

6 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Same with Farke here, got in a rut, lost his way, club needed a fresh start etc. A change is aa good as a rest. 

That’s fine but we’re inheriting his losing mentality now. He’s coming in on the back of 5 straight defeats and getting sacked, and then going into games with us that we must win. That’s a hell of a personal turnaround to expect and clearly Villa didn’t think he was capable of it 

Edited by Virtual reality

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Do you not find it the slightest bit ironic that you are happy to spout hope and endorse ridiculous possibilities like we can beat anyone and finishing top four. To keep hoping and faith despite the results. Then demand that we need to see the results before believing in Webber and this new manager?

I mean I agree with other you, it’s only a master stroke if he does well. It’s not like you to be so practical and rational though rather than ridiculously optimistic.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Mr. Raumdeuter III said:

I can see why we want to appoint him from watching that.

I can totally get people being underwhelmed, upset or angry about this potential appointment. Mainly because I can see both sides of the coin too, as I could with Lampard (believe it or not).

But one things for sure. There will be a freshening up at Colney. Cantwell and Gilmour will almost certainly come into the fold. And I do recall watching Dean Smith’s Villa sides playing some great football at times too.

The decision is out of our hands, just like our allegiance to Norwich City Football Club. I loved Farke 100% but I’m ready for a fresh face and voice in the dugout now - Smith appears to have an excellent knowledge of our squad and I doubt he’s taken this job on if he doesn’t think that squad of players can keep us up - after all, Championship jobs come up all the time.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It isn't a fantastic appointment, or a master stroke, or any other superlative until it is seen as successful in terms of results. I'll get positive about getting behind him and supporting what he tries to do, but if he doesn't get results...

...will you start booing?

OTBC