Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Michael Bailey confirms: Smith offered job.

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

Yes because what we really need is two potential candidates to say no, really puts us in a strong position.

What we really need is the recently sacked manager of a relegation rival who’s lost 5 on the bounce to kick start our season and bring that winning mentality in to the group…

• Like 2

In defence of SW, his record of signing managers D Wagner and D Farke  have both reasonably successful on the whole. When he sacked Farke he probably had a couple of names on his short list and then D Smith became available, which might have made him have a rethink, and that Dean would be a better fit then the names he had. If that is the case then I'm prepared to give SW the benefit of the doubt, and it is not the **** up that so many think it is.

• Like 1

So if I understand the logic of some posters on here correctly, if Pep had left Man City the day after we sacked Daniel, and Webber had thought how about trying to get him instead of the guy at the top of yesterday's list that would be interpreted as shambolic disorganisation and mismanagement.

I always thought flexibility and the ability to change tactics to adapt was something we were looking for.

58 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

Could disagree more. Plenty of evidence from the norwich city reporters, national press and Daniel travelling to Dubai. More evidence he was preferred than he wasn't! 

None at all. I will admit we may have put him on the list but there is zilch evidence he was the preferred candidate. If there was one it was Knutsen.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Just now, Virtual reality said:

Neil Adams until Knutson is available I would presume 

I assume with M Bailey being one of the trusted journals, he wouldn't have tweeted DS being offered the job if there wasn't some truth in it

12 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

What we really need is the recently sacked manager of a relegation rival who’s lost 5 on the bounce to kick start our season and bring that winning mentality in to the group…

So he’s only as good as his last 5 games? 

13 minutes ago, Hughie Curran's fruitcake said:

So if I understand the logic of some posters on here correctly, if Pep had left Man City the day after we sacked Daniel, and Webber had thought how about trying to get him instead of the guy at the top of yesterday's list that would be interpreted as shambolic disorganisation and mismanagement.

I always thought flexibility and the ability to change tactics to adapt was something we were looking for.

The point you've missed is that Webber has always banged about succession planning. There is no planning in this, if what we're led to believe Fat Frank was No.1 candidate and turned us down, was Smith in the frame irrespective of his employment situation?

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

So he’s only as good as his last 5 games? 

Evidently so as Villa sacked him on his performance over those matches and this season. We now inherit that losing mentality for some must win matches 

Just now, Virtual reality said:

Evidently so as Villa sacked him on his performance over those matches and this season. We now inherit that losing mentality for some must win matches 

Or he could have the attitude to prove villa they were wrong to sack him, and will be right up for the fight required

3 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

From what I’ve read the new DoF at Villa couldn’t wait to get rid of him and replace him with his own man. Bad patch and he was gone.

I think saying he has a losing mentality based on his last 5 games and ignoring the rest of his career is a bit short sighted personally.

• Like 2

Its a fresh start whoever comes in. Its Smiths job to motivate the llayers and get a reaction so time will tell.

We're rock bottom so the only way us up lol

10 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

The point you've missed is that Webber has always banged about succession planning. There is no planning in this, if what we're led to believe Fat Frank was No.1 candidate and turned us down, was Smith in the frame irrespective of his employment situation?

Its more like a drowning man clutching at a passing straw.

• Like 1

Got Villa up with a team of very expensive loanees and a squad that should have done far better than they were. Only scraped into playoffs after a ridiculous run of wins at the end of the season. Was mid table with 10 games to go IIRC. 

Scraped survival due to goal line tech not working properly, otherwise they'd have gone down, despite spending 100million and having Grealish.

**** this, I'm done. I have now totally lost interest in Norwich, something I never thought I'd say. I've watched 1.5 games since the Liverpool cup game, I just can't be bothered anymore. The apathy is real.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

I haven't missed the point.

Succession planning doesn't involve slavish adherence to yesterday's plan, if a better candidate becomes available today.

A plan is based on what is available at the time, not to adapt would be rather foolish.

Your idea that FL was the prime candidate is based on bookies odds and hearsay, and is ultimately irrelevant. There is a obviously a plan: to get someone to give us a chance to avoid relegation and develop the club.

I am amazed by all this, but let us give him the benefit of the doubt. He is a good man manager and had premier league and championship experience. He has a point to prove to his lifelong Club Villa so I think it may be just the motivation for him and tonic for Norwich.  I loved Daniel Farke and where he has taken us these last four years but he lacked premiership experience and know how. Still not convinced about Stuart but let us wait and see how it all unfolds. We might all be surprised and finish above Villa.

• Like 1

Nothing has come from the Norwich board. So to say he was the 3rd choice is guess work, maybe  Smith was the man they always wanted.  Please don't condemn the Board at this stage. 

I’m just relieved it wasn’t fat Frank. I think Smith will be a good fit for Norwich. We have thrown out the baby but without the bath water this time. Solid work from Webber. Onwards and hopefully upwards.  

2 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Nothing has come from the Norwich board. So to say he was the 3rd choice is guess work, maybe  Smith was the man they always wanted.  Please don't condemn the Board at this stage. 

So you think when we sacked Farke we had head hunted lifelong Aston Villa fan Dean Smith and our master plan was to prize him away from his dream job?

41 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Got Villa up with a team of very expensive loanees and a squad that should have done far better than they were. Only scraped into playoffs after a ridiculous run of wins at the end of the season. Was mid table with 10 games to go IIRC. 

Scraped survival due to goal line tech not working properly, otherwise they'd have gone down, despite spending 100million and having Grealish.

**** this, I'm done. I have now totally lost interest in Norwich, something I never thought I'd say. I've watched 1.5 games since the Liverpool cup game, I just can't be bothered anymore. The apathy is real.

It is very obvious that you don't realise that Dean Smith wasn't Villa manager that season for the first 13 games, and took them over in 14th. 

Good riddance, go and buy yourself a Man City shirt, you and Canarydan23 should ride share to the Etihad because he's thinking of giving up on the club too. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

So you think when we sacked Farke we had head hunted lifelong Aston Villa fan Dean Smith and our master plan was to prize him away from his dream job?

Possibly Webber got tipped off about the Villa situation and made his move decisively. Likely always had Smith high up on his list. 

Just now, Clever Farke said:

Possibly Webber got tipped off about the Villa situation and made his move decisively. Likely always had Smith high up on his list. 

Why would Webber know that Aston Villa’s manager was about to be sacked days before he himself knew he was going to be sacked. Even if this were the case he would have waited until Smith were sacked before he sacked Farke 

Assuming Smith takes the job I think he will be a good appointment. Only one Norwich manager has had a better PL win ratio than Smith’s whose record is nearly three times better than DF’s record. 
As for KK, what track record does he have of managing at the top level in any major European league? It’s time people got a dose of realism - DS is as good a manager/ head coach as we are  currently likely to attract.