Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Michael Bailey confirms: Smith offered job.

11 minutes ago, Olano said:

Knutsen from 1 of january is much beter then this.

I have seen 90 prosent og Glimts games the last 4 years.

This is the hardest day for me as a Norwich supporter in the 30 years I have supporter the club. This is a huge mistake

I'm out of reactions! I'm with you on this, I too think we're making a big mistake. Time will tell but I'd rather gamble with Knutsen, who's broken a lot of records on his way to winning the title there, and outwitting many teams in European competition than go for Smith. Others might like the idea of Smith because he has premier league experience etc but I don't think he will benefit the club long term.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Boris said:

until 1 January what you believe we need to be?

With kitman as manager or?

We must try boost on pts asap not from 1 jan and what you believe will happen with this wonder Knutsen come `!?Him will need time may be much time that we not have at moment.

Knutsen look like need exactly players for exactly system plus learn a league etc ,him have probably big potential but need time and we not have time at all.

get behind the board choice and stop be all feel as club is already dead.

Supporters main job is to support the club no to doubt every decision or believe know who is better coach.

If we are doubters on the stadium and around club not supporters ,club have less chance to escape from this mostly because bad mood or good mood make big difference this days.

We have his type og player. 2 Norwegian midfilders from Glimt. And he is ready.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Ok, I'm relieved it's not the Lampard circus, I'm disappointed not to get someone more interesting and I still think Farke is a better fit to our club than Smith, but if this is confirmed I'll get behind him too.

Is this the best you can come up with Lakey, just two lines ? 😂

35 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Nonsense. 

There is no perfect candidate. Smith ticks a whole load of boxes.

Recent experience in Premier League relegation fight ✔️

Experience of promotion from the Championship ✔️

Experience of developing players ✔️

Passing, attacking football ✔️

My concerns? 

Sacked from his previous job being unable to turn around fortunes 

Criticism over his ability to organise the club's defence. 

For me, he's a significantly better candidate than Lampard and possibly the most appealing out of work manager after Lucien Favre. Wouldn't have been my choice, but as I said I'm not sure who I would have gone for personally.

He got 15 clean sheets last year with mings at the heart, give him credit haha. 

my villa supporting mate says it’s a good fit and has been incredibly unlucky  they feel about him the same way we feel about Farke  

he’s had loads of injuries  

but…. He’s prev wanted Rashica and Cantwell  add Gilmour to the mix and you could see some decent attacking football  

• Thanks 1

Just now, TIL 1010 said:

Is this the best you can come up with Lakey, just two lines ? 😂

I'm exhausted with it all 🤪

Just pleased that the decision is made (if indeed this is the end of the saga).

15 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Clearly you’ve forgotten it, you missed one of the goals

Is he Josh Sargent in disguise? 😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

That's a downgrade on Farke and obviously the cheapest option.

His managerial stats speak for themselves.

So what do Farke's managerial stats say?

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

He wasn't my first choice but I think he'll be good.

I said in another post after Farke was gone that we'd be looking at someone who can set up a team to play on the counter and press teams, both of which Smith has been able to do. 

Laying my cards on the table though I was probably one of the bigger 'Farke out' people on here and you could have sold me on most people as an upgrade on him in this league. 

I agree with you. I think the problem Smith will have with our fan base is he isn’t Farke. Like Hugill isn’t Pukki. And people view him as unexciting but though he isn’t a “foreign” name I think it’s a solid appt and I’ll get behind it. 

1 minute ago, Olano said:

We have his type og player. 2 Norwegian midfilders from Glimt. And he is ready.

impossible to waiting someone until 1 Jan if not  he is Pep Guardiola!

there is 10 games until 1 jan who will be on charge for 10 games to waiting mighty Knutsen from Glimt!?

The things not work this way...

If we need rebuilding and give a go again next summer Knutsen is perfect but if we have this on  our heads we can keep even Farke.

Decision to change coach Webber already say is because we badly need to try to stay in PL now.

To waiting someone unproven until January is impossible.

Just now, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Awful appointment if this comes off. 

Managerial stats are absolute garbage without context. I'm pretty sure I could get a 50% win rate if given man city in the premier league. I could also comfortably manage the worst team in history if given Dean Smith's Villa from last season, even with Grealish.

If we are playing the stats game then Farke would be a classic example, he had the best squad in the division last year and he made them into one of the best Championship sides in history, he also had one of the worst this season and despite being talented still couldn't shape them into anything.

I must say I'm disappointed with this as I don't believe he has the tactical nous to pull us out of our current situation nor does he have the gravitas to demand immediate respect from the players. Nor do I see this galvanising the fans. 

It's not just his current lossing streak which has got him sacked from Villa, there was also pressure on him last year due to villas form without grealish in the side. 

Last season villa played 25 games with grealish starting, won 14,  drawn 3 and 8 defeats. Average points per game of 1.8.

Now without grealish his stats look as bad as farke. 17 games, won 4, drawn 4 and lost 9 with an average points per game of 0.94.

It has been said that Webber had a list of possible managers to replace farke so I assumed he had a plan when he fired him. It was clearly lampard as the preferred option and I suspect if we had pulled the trigger a week earlier when the rangers job wasn't available he would be on his way. But surely there were some other options as well, I doubt Smith was considered at the time of sacking Farke. 

The fact smith interviewed well as he knew about our playing style and our players is of no surprise, he's been a rival manager of ours for numerous seasons and has signed Buendia and wanted Todd, it would be negligent of the guy if he didn't know all about us!

Like everyone else I will get behind this new manager but I agree with those who say he is a poorer manager than Farke. However, Farke's time at the club was clearly up so a change was 100% necessary. I just don't see this change being anywhere near what we need to have a chance of staying up. 

If Webber has gotten this wrong and his new signings this season continue to flop, it could well be the end of any chance he will have for a considerable time at a bigger club. 

At the same time, his knowing our style inside out is a pretty big plus as he can then come up with his own take on how to handle us.

Very pleased with this hire.

Not bothered about 'not being on the original list' - he appeared as an option out of the blue, Webber was flexible enough to recalibrate 'the list', he interviewed well ('gets' the project and must have a convincing plan to get the very most out of our squad) and won the race.

I think a lot of the grumbling about it being 'meh' and 'underwhelming' is due to having the sparkle and glitter of Lampard sprinkled over the narrative all week but Smith is a more talented and more experienced option who clearly WANTS to be here AND has achieved Prem survival and Championship promotion. What a perfect fit for our needs!

I get the disappointment over Knutsen (my preference too) but I'm sure that IF Webber could've prised him out of Scandinavia he would've.

Ultimately, I'm pleased because I trust in Webber, the project will continue to evolve, fans from Walsall/Brentford/Villa love the bloke and he's not Lampard.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

Awful appointment if this comes off. 

You mean the stats that are actually BETTER than Farke’s? 

How is winning only 6 games in 49 by Farke better than Smiths record?

please do explain.

5 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

I must say I'm disappointed with this as I don't believe he has the tactical nous to pull us out of our current situation nor does he have the gravitas to demand immediate respect from the players. Nor do I see this galvanising the fans. 

It's not just his current lossing streak which has got him sacked from Villa, there was also pressure on him last year due to villas form without grealish in the side. 

Last season villa played 25 games with grealish starting, won 14,  drawn 3 and 8 defeats. Average points per game of 1.8.

Now without grealish his stats look as bad as farke. 17 games, won 4, drawn 4 and lost 9 with an average points per game of 0.94.

It has been said that Webber had a list of possible managers to replace farke so I assumed he had a plan when he fired him. It was clearly lampard as the preferred option and I suspect if we had pulled the trigger a week earlier when the rangers job wasn't available he would be on his way. But surely there were some other options as well, I doubt Smith was considered at the time of sacking Farke. 

The fact smith interviewed well as he knew about our playing style and our players is of no surprise, he's been a rival manager of ours for numerous seasons and has signed Buendia and wanted Todd, it would be negligent of the guy if he didn't know all about us!

Like everyone else I will get behind this new manager but I agree with those who say he is a poorer manager than Farke. However, Farke's time at the club was clearly up so a change was 100% necessary. I just don't see this change being anywhere near what we need to have a chance of staying up. 

If Webber has gotten this wrong and his new signings this season continue to flop, it could well be the end of any chance he will have for a considerable time at a bigger club. 

In terms of your first point,as much as I loved Daniel, his record in the CHAMPIONSHIP without Buendia in the team was atrocious!

Edited by rock bus

2 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

It was clearly lampard as the preferred option.

No evidence for that. No evidence we even had him on a list. He may have approached us.

21 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Perhaps he left early.

I definitely did but I still remember the score.😖😀

13 minutes ago, CUSDP said:

He got 15 clean sheets last year with mings at the heart, give him credit haha. 

my villa supporting mate says it’s a good fit and has been incredibly unlucky  they feel about him the same way we feel about Farke  

he’s had loads of injuries  

but…. He’s prev wanted Rashica and Cantwell  add Gilmour to the mix and you could see some decent attacking football  

Exactly this. My mate’s a Villa fan and he was gutted to him leave. But you’re right, he’s got a knowledge of our attacking mid so surely can get more of a tune out of them. Let’s hope so anyway. 

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

No evidence for that. No evidence we even had him on a list. He may have approached us.

The word 'clearly' is a red flag. It means "I have decided"

I don't get the Knutsen love-in from some on here. Sure he's had a cracking two seasons in Norway but he's hardly some up and coming wonder manager - the guy's older than  Sean Dyche, Pep Guardiola and Antonio Conte. Take away last season and his career has been pretty unremarkable.

If we want to stay up then we need someone who knows the league, the club and the players already. Dean Smith is hardly a glamorous appointment, but then neither are we. By taking a new job so soon and at a club in a worse position and with a weaker squad he clearly feels he has a point to prove and that could be just the drive we need.

• Like 2

At the very least we won't be called Dean Smith's Norwich City.

He is a solid recruitment, has lots of experience (and we will need it if we go back to the Championship) - far more than Lampard, he is not an idiot when speaking to the press, is someone who understands our 'project' it appears. 

It's a fresh start. We badly need a fresh start. As for the background to how this has come about, well, we will find out soon.

I wanted Knutsen but he would have been an unknown and not someone who knows the PL. He was one for the longer term perhaps. 

Whatever, Smith has to be a safe option. And we want PL safety.

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

Screenshot_20211113-095820_Twitter.jpg

If you believe/agree with anything this **** writes then I worry for you 

Just now, Yobocop said:

If you believe/agree with anything this **** writes then I worry for you 

Are you saying he's not a better choice than Lampard?

Interesting to see how he will do. Personally rate him a lot higher than Lampard so much happier if this goes through. Can end up being better or worse than Farke was for us for sure, but lets hope he can at least provide the famous new manager boost.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Are you saying he's not a better choice than Lampard?

To be honest that’s the only point he’s ever made that i agree with, but then he ruins it by saying about knutsen and the apparent mess 

he is a shock jock 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Peanuts said:

I don't get the Knutsen love-in from some on here. Sure he's had a cracking two seasons in Norway but he's hardly some up and coming wonder manager - the guy's older than  Sean Dyche, Pep Guardiola and Antonio Conte. Take away last season and his career has been pretty unremarkable.

If we want to stay up then we need someone who knows the league, the club and the players already. Dean Smith is hardly a glamorous appointment, but then neither are we. By taking a new job so soon and at a club in a worse position and with a weaker squad he clearly feels he has a point to prove and that could be just the drive we need.

Totally agree here and must say Smith without doubt know us very good because for some reasons we play together in same league last years and him like and try to buy many of our players.

Without doubt Smith is gutted to loose him dream job and me only hope him to refresh and restart quick his mind for this new challenge .

Without doubt we have some other man our 1st choise but is not so strange when 1 more option come after villa react we to talk with him and been more impressed than frank etc to be chosen one.

23 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

As a side note and according to celebrity gossip Grealish is on the Atack.....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Yobocop said:

To be honest that’s the only point he’s ever made that i agree with, but then he ruins it by saying about knutsen and the apparent mess 

he is a shock jock 

Or as I like to put it, even blind w-ankers can get one off on occasion. 😉

56 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Based on what?

It’s astonishing how people are looking at Smith, with huge experience in this country and recently in the English top flight, and going ‘meh, this is underwhelming’, whilst at the same time wanting a guy who has never managed away from a very weak Norway league.  It makes little sense to me.

Spot on Branston,

Why anyone would want an unknown from a league as weak as that is a mystery, we need someone who knows exactly what he's walking into and capable of steadying the ship.

The biggest worry for me is whether the players we have are good enough to get us out of trouble whatever manager we appoint.

Only time will tell.

Good luck Dean if you've got the balls to take the job.