Sign in to follow this  
Feedthewolf

Michael Bailey confirms: Smith offered job.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'This is the hardest day for me as a Norwich supporter in the 30 years'

You forgetting our 6-1 loss to Colchester on the League one opening fixture?

No er all understod that would lead to lead to changes. 

Knutsen is the type og manager that in time would make Norwich a team like Everton.

He Will sign a 5 year contract for an other club inn 3-4 weeks.

13 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

It isn’t nonsense. We have ended up with 3rd choice - possibly even 4th. 

Sacking a manager 2 hours after a win , only to appoint a manager who wasn’t even available at the time is , I repeat , shambolic. 

Whether Smith is successful is not the point I’m making . But we have ended up with a guy (and a coach) apparently not good enough for a relegation rival . But good enough for us . 

How can he be 3rd or 4th choice if he wasn’t in the running when we sacked Farke? Which one is it?

He became available and Webber presumably wanted him and thought he was a good fit. 

Maybe as reports suggested he turned a one horse race with Lampard into a two horse race. Maybe then Lampard ducked out when he thought he wasn’t first choice anymore. Maybe he did have an amazing interview and that sealed the deal.

Maybe, just maybe, he earned his way to first choice? Rather than the club failing.

Had we picked Smith when doing well at Brentford or just having saved Villa he would have been exciting. Had we picked Knutsen before doing anything with  Bodo he would have been underwhelming. You can't just take a snapshot at one point in time and say good or bad depending on league position. Looking at the longer more strategic term, Smith seems a good shout. Farke was sacked because of his record over 49 prem games, not a knee jerk short term run. It should work that way too with appointments.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Thing is, Knutsen was my original choice - but would have been a massive gamble, and as it went in I decided/realised that was the ‘romantic’ rather than ‘sensible’ choice.  

Imo far better to get a guy with shed loads of experience, who knows the game inside out in this country, has managed at all levels and is soneone we’d have never managed to get up until last weekend. He’s not a glamorous name to our fans, but I’m sure will win them round. The ridiculous media circus around FL meant that to me he’d have been a bad appointment.

The thing is it's easy to point to Dean Smiths failings in the Premier league because he actually has some experience in it.

Knutsen is the hipster choice but as you say massive gamble.

Not the glamour appointment, but better than Lamp Fu*ktard imo and if confirmed I wont be disappointed. If he can handle grealish he can handle Cantwell. 

It is interesting to see the opinions on this from outside of our fanbase.

Most Norwich fans seem to range from underwhelmed to angry.

Most neutrals see it is a solid appointment and some are surprised Smith would come to us.

Just now, Monty13 said:

How can he be 3rd or 4th choice if he wasn’t in the running when we sacked Farke? Which one is it?

He became available and Webber presumably wanted him and thought he was a good fit. 

Maybe as reports suggested he turned a one horse race with Lampard into a two horse race. Maybe then Lampard ducked out when he thought he wasn’t first choice anymore. Maybe he did have an amazing interview and that sealed the deal.

Maybe, just maybe, he earned his way to first choice? Rather than the club failing.

That’s a beautiful idea Monty. Let’s hope so.

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Clearly you’ve forgotten it, you missed one of the goals

• Haha 2

If someone 'really' wanted to be here, he'd be here on Monday morning...not in about 9 games time on Jan 1st

I dare say Steven Gerrard would have liked to have won another title at Rangers too but he was straight out of the door

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

Clearly you’ve forgotten it, you missed one of the goals

🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Most neutrals see it is a solid appointment and some are surprised Smith would come to us.

Yes, I've noticed that. And thats coming from me who didn't want Smith. I do think having Shakespeare coming in as a number 2 as well is actually a bit of a result for us for where we are right now.

I also don't think anyone can say Smith was third choice because he wasn't initially available. He may have actually become first choice after they sounded him out and realised he would be interested.

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Exactly.

If you're a glass half full person on this appointment then Webber being open minded enough to add someone who wasn't available when he made his shortlist to the process is a good thing.

If you've joined the 'Webber is satan as he sacked lovely Daniel' brigade then Smith is only here as we couldn't persuade either of our top 2 targets to join us thus meaning Webber is a total clown.

Personally I sit in the former camp.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Get the score right please before accusing someone of being forgetful. 😜

1 minute ago, Coneys Knee said:

That’s a beautiful idea Monty. Let’s hope so.

Not sure whats going on on on this board when I feel like I’m channeling LDC by just giving the club and this guy a chance and he looks like he’s having a negativity meltdown, along with a whole bunch of people.

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Maybe you’re right Monty . 

Just now, hogesar said:

Yes, I've noticed that. And thats coming from me who didn't want Smith. I do think having Shakespeare coming in as a number 2 as well is actually a bit of a result for us for where we are right now.

I also don't think anyone can say Smith was third choice because he wasn't initially available. He may have actually become first choice after they sounded him out and realised he would be interested.

I think it speaks to how much people liked Farke here that they're willing to make the 'is Smith any better than Farke argument' as, if you take off the Farke tinted glasses, he clearly has been.

The resident 'Pink 'un NCFC Apologist and Damage Limitation Squad' are certainly going to have their work cut out today.....Oh yeah.....

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

How do you feel about it? I’m actually happy. Think it’s solid and has a whiff of future proofing to it as well given Smith knows the Champ.

9 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Obviously bow to your knowledge of Knutsen, and I would have been excited by that appointment, but there's a strong chance we'd have been all but relegated by Jan 1 if we'd waited for him.

So what. He would have won promotion and then mad IT in the prem.

He is a miracle manager

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I think it speaks to how much people liked Farke here that they're willing to make the 'is Smith any better than Farke argument' as, if you take off the Farke tinted glasses, he clearly has been.

Agreed. It is disappointing to admit but this is clearly an upgrade - PL and PL survival experience.

Just now, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Maybe you’re right Monty . 

Not saying I am, I too thought this potentially  wasn’t going well but on reflection there is a clear potential narrative where this has gone well for us that our supporters seem to be generally ignoring.

Most Villa supporters absolutely loved the guy from what I can tell, he was their Farke. That along with trusting Webber has me cautiously optimistic which I think is the minimum our supporters should be given our situation personally.

Ok, I'm relieved it's not the Lampard circus, I'm disappointed not to get someone more interesting and I still think Farke is a better fit to our club than Smith, but if this is confirmed I'll get behind him too.

8 minutes ago, Olano said:

Knutsen from 1 of january is much beter then this.

I have seen 90 prosent og Glimts games the last 4 years.

This is the hardest day for me as a Norwich supporter in the 30 years I have supporter the club. This is a huge mistake

until 1 January what you believe we need to be?

With kitman as manager or?

We must try boost on pts asap not from 1 jan and what you believe will happen with this wonder Knutsen come `!?Him will need time may be much time that we not have at moment.

Knutsen look like need exactly players for exactly system plus learn a league etc ,him have probably big potential but need time and we not have time at all.

get behind the board choice and stop be all feel as club is already dead.

Supporters main job is to support the club no to doubt every decision or believe know who is better coach.

If we are doubters on the stadium and around club not supporters ,club have less chance to escape from this mostly because bad mood or good mood make big difference this days.

Ok I've been convinced; Smith is a far better option than Farke. And I guess this is the desired net gain.

It's a free hit for Smith as clearly not the first choice and will either confirm that Webber has made duff choices in his recruitment of players.

I'm not blown away by this, but that doesn't mean it won't be successful, I doubt anybody was too chuffed when we appointed Worthington. We could be a good match.

And he has a recent promotion from the Championship on his CV, which is a plus. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Smith's a good manager, wouldn't have been my first choice, probably wouldn't have been Webber's either but we haven't been lumbered with a donkey who doesn't understand football or does understand it but plays it in a way we wouldn't want to watch.

I liked Farke, but something was clearly amiss and sometimes a good manager just runs out of steam and I suspect thats what has happened. In that case, you need a change. 

We were going down as it stood, we probably still will, but I think we have a bit more chance with Smith in a new role than Farke after 4 years. Conversely, if Farke had turned up at Villa I would have expected an upturn of results there as well.

For a club, a breathe of fresh air can rejuvenate a season, for a manager, a change can be as good as a rest.

1 minute ago, Danke bitte said:

How do you feel about it? I’m actually happy. Think it’s solid and has a whiff of future proofing to it as well given Smith knows the Champ.

He wasn't my first choice but I think he'll be good.

I said in another post after Farke was gone that we'd be looking at someone who can set up a team to play on the counter and press teams, both of which Smith has been able to do. 

Laying my cards on the table though I was probably one of the bigger 'Farke out' people on here and you could have sold me on most people as an upgrade on him in this league.