Is Smith better than Farke?

Whos better Farke or Smith?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Whos better Farke or Smith?

• Farke
    • Smith
    • Unsure

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given he was on a 5 winless run with one of the most expensve teams in world football that also contained Bunedia.. Rather concerning

Better than a 15 game losing streak with a side that looked incapable of beating a reserve side.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If it is, of course. I am warming to Smith. Certainly better than Lampard. According to one Daily Mail football fan we ‘really dogged a bullet’ there. Quite.

Based on the Southwell piece, Smith is used to working as a head coach with either the CEO or a sporting director in charge of transfers. So that fits our model.

There is this report that Ings was bought over his head (although not necessarily against his wishes) and trying to shoehorn Ings and Watkins into the same eleven upset his tactical plans. Not a problem he would find with us, since we don’t have two strikers…

If his name was Herman Wolfswinkel and had the record in the Bundesliga 2 and the Bundesliga that Smith has in the Championship and the Premier League then I suspect most fans would be pretty happy with the choice. My concern, just because I have no idea, would be over the quality of his backroom staff.

Ha! Posted before I saw the latest news. Anyone have thoughts on Craig Shakespear's record as a coach?

32 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If his name was Herman Wolfswinkel and had the record in the Bundesliga 2 and the Bundesliga that Smith has in the Championship and the Premier League then I suspect most fans would be pretty happy with the choice. My concern, just because I have no idea, would be over the quality of his backroom staff.

This feels very true to me and also very confusing. 

Now this is extremely underwhelming.  Villa have been **** this season. Smith had plenty of money to spend at Villa and had a good squad. 

Edited by Alex

It isn't about whether one is "better" or "worse" than the other.

Its about whether sacking Farke was the right thing to do, and I believe it was.

And its about whether Dean Smith was the right person to come in under the circumstances, which remains to be seen.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given he was on a 5 winless run with one of the most expensve teams in world football that also contained Bunedia.. Rather concerning

Farke wasn't going to keep us up. We needed a change. We will probably still go down but at least we have tried something.

Not sure who you were expecting was going to want the job that would be "better".

Underwhelmed but on the evidence of the dreadful results, random team selections and introduction of hoofball Smith can't be any worse.

The King is dead, long live the King!

I think Daniel Farke would have done a better job at Villa with their squad than Smith has done. 

I think Daniel Farke would have done a better job at Villa with their squad than Smith has done.  Basically we have sacked our manager for a worse one that was also doing a poor job witja much better team in the same league. 

I think Daniel Farke would have done a better job at Villa with their squad than Smith has done.  Basically we have sacked our manager for a worse one that was also doing a poor job with a much better team in the same league. Whats happened here is despite the board making the decisionnto sack Farke before the Brentford game there was no forward planning and they have took the cheapest option available. 

I think Daniel Farke would have done a better job at Villa with their squad.  Basically we have sacked our manager for a worse one who was also doing a poor job with a much better team in the same league. Whats happened here is despite the board making the decision to sack Farke before the Brentford game there was no forward planning and they have took the cheapest option available

Edited by Alex

I think he’s on a par with Farke, better at premier level but maybe not so good at champ level. But he’s different and he has different skill sets that may be what we need right now. Picking our best players and drilling the defence could make a huge difference. 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

He kept a team in the Premier League as a result of the worst refereeing decision ever. 

At least they were close enough for it to make a difference 

Well, if we don't get a winning result next Saturday we can blame it on Dean and the squad not quite up and running - and that they're still finding their feet......If we win, then Deano will be the new messiah.....and for me there'll be much quaffing of ale in the post-match pub.....

Que Sera Sera.....Cest la vie.....

Edited by Mello Yello

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

I think he’s on a par with Farke, better at premier level but maybe not so good at champ level. But he’s different and he has different skill sets that may be what we need right now. Picking our best players and drilling the defence could make a huge difference. 

Statistically our defence isn't that much better than Villas and they have better defenders. 

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think Daniel Farke would have done a better job at Villa with their squad than Smith has done. 

I don’t. Because he cannot coach a team to defend. 

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

At least they were close enough for it to make a difference 

To be fair they did spend almost 120 million and have Jack Grealish. 

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I don’t. Because he cannot coach a team to defend. 

Neither can Dan Smith looking at Villas defence this season. 

Edited by Alex

44 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If it is, of course. I am warming to Smith. Certainly better than Lampard. According to one Daily Mail football fan we ‘really dogged a bullet’ there. Quite.

Based on the Southwell piece, Smith is used to working as a head coach with either the CEO or a sporting director in charge of transfers. So that fits our model.

There is this report that Ings was bought over his head (although not necessarily against his wishes) and trying to shoehorn Ings and Watkins into the same eleven upset his tactical plans. Not a problem he would find with us, since we don’t have two strikers…

Spot on (I’m sadly out of likes).  

Seems that rather too many haven’t bothered to look into him at all and are just going with a knee jerk reaction.  Which I suppose is fine, but with a modicum of research I’m sure many would probably change their minds. 

Meanwhile, the ridiculous circus around Lampard even being talked to suggested he’d not really be for us, and could indeed be a bullet ‘dogged’; for me Knutson was the ‘romantic’ choice but would have been a massive, massive gamble - football is football, but Norway’s league is a far cry from the PL and I’m not sure we were in the right place for that gamble.

Imo we have probably made the right, if not necessarily the most ‘sexy/romantic’ choice. 

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Who is Dan Smith😀?

Oh the petulance 😀

Edited by Alex

Villa Fan in Peace...

Just a few things on Smith.

- I see talk that Ings and Watkins were forced on him. While Brentford manager, Smith bought Watkins from Exeter and then again as Villa manager. I really doubt Watkins was forced on him. Ings on the other had, yes it appears he was forced on him

-Smith had loads of money and lost 5 in a row and Villa were / are poor this season. We lost Grealish who was are talisman which is always difficult to recover from. We spent 95m on Buendia, Bailey and Ings. So far this season (11 games) they have only spent 24 minutes in total at the same time. He has not had a good run of injuriues

-Lost his 2 coaches in the summer (JT and Richard O Kelly), that hasn't helped. JT (I am not a fan of his) was a damn good defender and it is no surprise our defence has gone downhill since he left

- When we were promoted we lost 14 players that either had contracts expiring, too old or were on loan. The core of our team was ripped out. Yes he spent 140m on players but it wad a massive rebuild

- This season he switched to 3-5-2 after 3 years of 4-3-3. It is thought this was to try and fir Watkins and Ings into the same team. Also, rumoured that he didn't want to do this but Ings was forced on him and he needed to make it work

- Playing 4-3-3 is his sweet spot. For the first couple of years we played some very enjoyable football and during his time as Villa manager we have beaten. Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal (the double) and Leicester. He is good at picking up points against the big boys

- Good at developing youth and getting then into the 1st team

Negatives

- Maybe leaves subs too late but he is improving at this

- He doesn't change the game plan too often midgame. We set out as 4-3-3 and stick with it

Overall, I think he is a very competent coach, he is not Pep or Klopp but he doesn't claim to be. I suspect if he became Norwich manager you guys would come to like him and he would do a decent job for you

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

He kept a team in the Premier League as a result of the worst refereeing decision ever. 

Forgetting about the other 37.5 games of course 

3 minutes ago, VillaFan said:

Villa Fan in Peace...

- I see talk that Ings and Watkins were forced on him. While Brentford manager, Smith bought Watkins from Exeter and then again as Villa manager. I really doubt Watkins was forced on him. Ings on the other had, yes it appears he was forced on him

-Smith had loads of money and lost 5 in a row and Villa were / are poor this season. We lost Grealish who was are talisman which is always difficult to recover from. We spent 95m on Buendia, Bailey and Ings. So far this season (11 games) they have only spent 24 minutes in total at the same time. He has not had a good run of injuriues

-Lost his 2 coaches in the summer (JT and Richard O Kelly), that hasn't helped. JT (I am not a fan of his) was a damn good defender and it is no surprise our defence has gone downhill since he left

- When we were promoted we lost 14 players that either had contracts expiring, too old or were on loan. The core of our team was ripped out. Yes he spent 140m on players but it wad a massive rebuild

- This season he switched to 3-5-2 after 3 years of 4-3-3. It is thought this was to try and fir Watkins and Ings into the same team. Also, rumoured that he didn't want to do this but Ings was forced on him and he needed to make it work

- Playing 4-3-3 is his sweet spot. For the first couple of years we played some very enjoyable football and during his time as Villa manager we have beaten. Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal (the double) and Leicester. He is good at picking up points against the big boys

Negatives

- He doesn't change the game plan too often midgame. We set out as 4-3-3 and stick with it

Overall, I think he is a very competent coach, he is not Pep or Klopp but he doesn't claim to be. I suspect if he became Norwich manager you guys would come to like him and he would do a decent job for you

Thank you. This is where I am at 

he also dealt with grealish who I would suspect was a difficult character to deal with and turned him into a world beater 

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Petulance? Really?  

Yes was clearly a typo, therefore your comment was a bit petulant. 

6 minutes ago, VillaFan said:

Villa Fan in Peace...

Negatives

Leaves subs too late? Ah, nothing changing there then

2 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Thank you. This is where I am at 

he also dealt with grealish who I would suspect was a difficult character to deal with and turned him into a world beater 

Absolutely, and he developed him into a player we sold for a record 100m. That is nice cash to receive. Spurs offered us 15m and Josh Onomah for Grealish 3 years ago. Smith can definitely improve players

1 hour ago, City 101 said:

It’s a **** appointment , trouble with people like you is you would accept anybody and be happy with it . 

Look into Smith, his experience etc and then you’ll see why that’s just rubbish, but to a certain extent it’s also irrelevant - the alternative is to whinge endlessly about it…is that what you’re going to do?  

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Leaves subs too late? Ah, nothing changing there then

I am reading the same about Gerrard too 😀. But it is argued that this is said about all managers