cambridgeshire canary

Is Smith better than Farke?

Whos better Farke or Smith?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Whos better Farke or Smith?

• Farke
    • Smith
    • Unsure

Smith is worse than farke by far for me. But if he is given the reigns then I'll get behind him, begrudgingly... 

He spent all that money at villa, Leon Bailey, Emi Buendia, Danny Ings, he struggled to get them firing amd playing well. And they're only 5 points above us. 

What will he be like with cantwell, rashica, tzolis, Sargent? A lot of our players are probably on a high after Brentford win but still short on confidence.

I would not want Smith anywhere near the club, it would be a backwards step imo. I've always wanted Knutsen personally, and if there is a stumbling block where he want's to finish out the season in Norway to win the league then I would rather have an interim manager until then, god I'd rather have Woy or Adams as interim manger till then than have Smith appointed permanently!   

• Like 3

Really don't want him here. I predict a toxic atmosphere next Saturday if he is appointed, not necessarily towards him (although I think many will quickly turn rather than give him time) but very much towards Webber, Delia, MWJ etc.

15 minutes ago, Macey said:

I would not want Smith anywhere near the club, it would be a backwards step imo. I've always wanted Knutsen personally, and if there is a stumbling block where he want's to finish out the season in Norway to win the league then I would rather have an interim manager until then, god I'd rather have Woy or Adams as interim manger till then than have Smith appointed permanently!   

This would be the sensible solution rather than just take on Smith because he did a good interview - and having got rid of Farke and not getting who they seemingly wanted, then an intrerim manager does make sense.  Get the best man for the job, even if we have to wait. Smith just happened to be available and as has been said, since he lost his coaching team, he has struggled.

Webber has severely miscalculated Farke's relationship with the fans. It will eventually cost him his job and I suspect he will be gone by season end. 

• Like 1

What's the comparison? Between Farke at his peak in the Championship versus Smith in the Championship, or a seemingly lost Farke in the Premier League versus Smith in the Premier League?

• Like 5

1. He's more well-rounded in his approach, adaptable and doesn't tend to get caught out when opposition managers tweak their tactics part way though a game. This would be an improvement (and necessary in the top flight).

2. Even if he isn't better pound for pound (which may or may not be true) unlike Farke he will bring a fresh voice and new ideas to the training pitch and dressing room so will be better than continuing with a Farke that had lost his way and who's time was spent.

• Like 1

This is pretty ridiculous - people suggesting they wouldn’t even give the guy a chance? WTAF?!  It seems some of you just don’t have the first idea and ought to take off those Farke-induced blinkers.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

What's the comparison? Between Farke at his peak in the Championship versus Smith in the Championship, or a seemingly lost Farke in the Premier League versus Smith in the Premier League?

I think this is pretty key. Before this season started I'm not sure anyone would consider swapping Farke for Smith.

Having seen us look worse than last time in the Prem, it certainly makes the question more difficult to answer.

Might be a bit like comparing apples to oranges...

However, Dean Smith has a proven track record of getting a 4-3-3 to work in the Premier League. I think there is little dispute that the player recruitment was made with this formation in mind, but Farke seemed to struggle with it. Makes sense if we can't bring any more players in and need to utilise existing personnel.

Edited by youngriles

5 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

I mean he kept a team in the premier league for two seasons, Farke didn't. 

The bottom line really!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

This is the comparison between the two in our situation that really matters.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lincsy88 said:

He kept a team in the Premier League as a result of the worst refereeing decision ever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prefer Smith to Lampard personally (although not exactly enamoured of either), after all he played a part in getting Brentford up in the mixer before Thomas Frank finished the job, he also kept a struggling Walsall team up in 2011 and kept them solidly in League One before getting to the Football League Trophy final, which led to Brentford knocking on his door.

He's got more relevant experience than Lampard, but could have found his level.

I think Smith could be really good for player development. Aside from the senior players, there is a lot of potential upside in our squad.

Targett, Cash, McGinn, Mings... all players that have kicked on considerably under DS. Has to be worth something?

26 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This is the point. The question posed in the poll is irrelevant, since Smith would be starting a new job here, whereas there was plenty of evidence that DF had run out of steam. 

In a fantasy world, it's possible to imagine Smith coming here and doing a better job than DF while DF goes to Villa and does a better job than Smith. Coaches have shelf-lives.

8 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

He kept a team in the Premier League as a result of the worst refereeing decision ever. 

How did Pukki’s disallowed goal v Spurs impact that?!

Tbh the Villa thing was a tech fail, not the ref per se, but is largely irrelevant as it’s history.  There’s any number of crap decisions in every game.

1 minute ago, Highland Canary said:

Downgrade on Farke, upgrade on Lampard. You couldn’t make it up

Someone proven to be able to keep a side in the PL is worse than someone who can’t?  Ok. That makes sense.

15 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I mean that wasn’t the only reason they stayed up plenty of other decisions and mitigating factors led to it. Also wasn’t a bad ref decision it was a failing of goal line tec. 

Smith no need to be better than Farke to suit us better at this moment!

Football short term is all about psychology !

It's incredible how big % of fans is become moaners and stand up against every decision Webber do!

Webber make mistakes but him is the key we as a club to be in very good condition so lets support and see who is right after few months,

Its obviously that under Farke we  have very little chance to succeed and seems after Leeds was his credit was empty.

Farke was very loyal and kind to this football club but at moment we need refresh and this decision was hard but hardly incorrect.

Smith probably is no better than him but have good reputation and fresh new ideas about our players.

We need change to be competitive and also fans t believe and support next manager .If we doubt on him since day one and make no atmosphere next Saturday all will become very complicated for this football club.

I personally rate Smith higher than Lampard but with all this delay and no voice from board make mood around fans very toxic.

at end of the day talkSport make mistake bring Lampard as  done deal also pink un do that so I not see where is board problem with this situation.

39 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If it is, of course. I am warming to Smith. Certainly better than Lampard. According to one Daily Mail football fan we ‘really dogged a bullet’ there. Quite.

Based on the Southwell piece, Smith is used to working as a head coach with either the CEO or a sporting director in charge of transfers. So that fits our model.

There is this report that Ings was bought over his head (although not necessarily against his wishes) and trying to shoehorn Ings and Watkins into the same eleven upset his tactical plans. Not a problem he would find with us, since we don’t have two strikers…

If his name was Herman Wolfswinkel and had the record in the Bundesliga 2 and the Bundesliga that Smith has in the Championship and the Premier League then I suspect most fans would be pretty happy with the choice. My concern, just because I have no idea, would be over the quality of his backroom staff.

• Like 1

Everything that we know about the two of them makes me say Farke unconditionally.

This is the first time we have given the job to someone who has been sacked because of his performance. And generally it has been an upgrade. This doesn't appear so.

Smith may be a great bloke who we take to immediately and I hope that is the case. I hope anyone new will give every player a clean slate and pick a team on merit and what best for the club.

Edited by keelansgrandad

8 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Downgrade on Farke, upgrade on Lampard. You couldn’t make it up

How ****e does Farke have to have been before the Cult of Farke wakes up to the fact he wasn't good enough at this level? 

Dean Smith has a significantly better Premier League record than Farke.

32 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

This is pretty ridiculous - people suggesting they wouldn’t even give the guy a chance? WTAF?!  It seems some of you just don’t have the first idea and ought to take off those Farke-induced blinkers.

It’s a **** appointment , trouble with people like you is you would accept anybody and be happy with it .