Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Just get him back

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Whatever you do Creative Midfielder, don't ever reflect on the fact that we're all sitting on a big rock in a solar system which is 4.5 billion years old, I'm not sure if you'd be able to cope with black holes, asteroids, and the likelihood that alien life forms with more advanced weaponry likely exists out there somewhere.

Look, Farke would have walked from us the moment Dortmund decided they wanted him... there was no 20 year project.... Farke would have been tempted by a job at some point, he never brought his family over apparently. Arminia Bielefeld will probably want him at some stage now he's a free agent and he'd be well chuffed with that for geographical reasons. This isn't utopia, relationships are typically time limited. 

Are you still in the pub from last night?

Even by your normal standards, that is two paragraphs of total bollox.

6 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Are you still in the pub from last night?

Even by your normal standards, that is two paragraphs of total bollox.

Dry your eyes mate.

You live in the first world, you have clean running water.

Sense of perspective required, you are whinging. Are you one of those people who meets up with a mate and spends the entire hour talking about their own problems, never asking the other person who they are, and then eventually finds they never get asked out for a pint anymore? 

Because that's the impression I get from your week long droning moan binge. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

8 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Yes, I do - all of it actually - I worded it quite carefully to articulate as clearly as I could what I feel about the current situation at the club.

Maybe I didn't articulate it clearly enough but it is only a personal opinion after all, and in fact we appear to agree on a fair bit. Where we mainly part company, I think, is how you measure/assess 'progress' and I guess that also ties in somewhat to timescale, i.e. patience.

IMO the club has made a huge amount of progress both on and off the field since the Webber\Farke era began - not a particularly contentious opinion I would hope. But especially given the state of the club when they took over it was never going to be straight line upwards progress, and so it has proved but nevertheless a huge amount of progress has been made.

So your view, along with many others, is that due to a disappointing start to this season that progress has not just stopped but can't be restarted without a change at the top. I understand that view but fundamentally disagree with it. That was my initial reaction to Farke's sacking and TBH has been strengthened by the shambolic week which has followed - maybe Webber will still manage to pull a rabbit out of the hat but the fact that we've even been talking to coaches such as Lampard and Smith suggest to me that this whole affair represents an enormous lapse of judgement and due diligence by Webber.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree.

Farke is my favourite city manager but I believe the time was right for a change. He had an opportunity in the PL and was naive and showed no improvement, we actually went backwards as the season went on. He had a second opportunity in the PL yet showed no signs of learning from the previous disaster. He actually went even further from his own philosophy - understandable due to the results but his plan a didn’t work and plan b and c weren’t producing either, at times we looked simply clueless. Fundamentally the balance in the team was wrong and it’s been decided a fresh approach and ideas is needed if we are to have any chance of staying up - which I agree with.

I also strongly disagree this has been a shambolic week. We know NOTHING of what is going on at the club. To take the word of journos and Twitter fame hunters is plain stupid. All we know for certain is that Farke was sacked at Brentford, presumably as it was the only opportune time to give him some time to process before telling the players immediately upon return to Colney and before they all disappeared for the international break. It gave them a chance to say goodbye etc. Since then we’ve had to put up with ‘it’s Lampard’, ‘narrowed down to 2’ ‘3 in the frame’ ‘Hassenhutl’ blah blah. Yes Smith obviously wasn’t in the frame when Farke was sacked, but when a PL experienced manager becomes available, he quite rightly joins the list, and when the other names are extremely-mediocre-but-it’s-Frank and someone who’s not managed in a league even near Scotland quality, he goes to top of the list.

Due diligence is exactly what has happened by talking to numerous managers. No quick decisions and reacting to changes in the process (Smith becoming available).

4 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Fair enough. Agree to disagree.

Farke is my favourite city manager but I believe the time was right for a change. He had an opportunity in the PL and was naive and showed no improvement, we actually went backwards as the season went on. He had a second opportunity in the PL yet showed no signs of learning from the previous disaster. He actually went even further from his own philosophy - understandable due to the results but his plan a didn’t work and plan b and c weren’t producing either, at times we looked simply clueless. Fundamentally the balance in the team was wrong and it’s been decided a fresh approach and ideas is needed if we are to have any chance of staying up - which I agree with.

I also strongly disagree this has been a shambolic week. We know NOTHING of what is going on at the club. To take the word of journos and Twitter fame hunters is plain stupid. All we know for certain is that Farke was sacked at Brentford, presumably as it was the only opportune time to give him some time to process before telling the players immediately upon return to Colney and before they all disappeared for the international break. It gave them a chance to say goodbye etc. Since then we’ve had to put up with ‘it’s Lampard’, ‘narrowed down to 2’ ‘3 in the frame’ ‘Hassenhutl’ blah blah. Yes Smith obviously wasn’t in the frame when Farke was sacked, but when a PL experienced manager becomes available, he quite rightly joins the list, and when the other names are extremely-mediocre-but-it’s-Frank and someone who’s not managed in a league even near Scotland quality, he goes to top of the list.

Due diligence is exactly what has happened by talking to numerous managers. No quick decisions and reacting to changes in the process (Smith becoming available).

Yep, happy to agree to disagree -  i understand why you, and many others, feel the way you do but its not the way i see it.

The one bit I continue to completely disagree with you on is this question of due diligence - the succession planning that we are supposed to have in place would dictate that we have a regularly updated and researched hit list of our prefered replacements in the event of the need to replace Farke, or him getting run over by the proverbial bus. Of course that may need to flex a bit depending upon the exact timing but IMO talking to numerous managers is exactly what we shouldn't be doing. We should be talking to our no 1 target whoever he is and only if for whatever reason we can't get him move onto number 2 etc.

Of course we know little of what has actually gone on this week but I think we know enough to know that we are not following that targetted approach - at least I hope not. I would hate to think that we really did have a target list and Lampard was no 1 on it 😃

11 hours ago, Budapest Canary said:

I think one of the reasons we sacked Farke was that even in case of relegation we wouldn't want to stick with him for a couple of reasons. 1) Relegation (if it happens) will be very different this time than it was last time. There will be turmoil, sales, reorganisation.   A new team will be built, which will probably not bounce back instantly even with Farke, who needed a season himself to put a Championship winning team together. And then, if we return, say after two seasons, would we want Farke to manage us in the Prem after two relegations, or would we sack him after a promotion? 2) There's a difference between relegation and relegation. Another 21 pointer (or worse) would probably be highly detrimental to morale as well as player values. We'd want to avoid getting stuck with expensive players, who may not want/be fit to play in the Champs, so I think we'd need at least 35 points and a fighting chance until the end to avoid that.          

totally agree. I've always said it's not so much IF we go down (although I think we still have more chance than nearly everyone else on Plant Earth seems to think!) but HOW  we go down. A meek, pathetic submission and ending on say 15 points or so would be total disaster and you could kiss goodbye to the 'Yo Yo' years I'm afraid. If the boy Dean can fire us up and we are in contention right until the last game and finish on about 35 points then that's a totally different scenario.  

18 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Who cares how much of a laughing stock we are, given that we are one already and if the dozy pundits want to laugh a bit louder and a bit longer then stuff em, would be my take. They know bog all about us to start with, and haven't had the least interest in us until they think we might be attracting a 'celebrity' manager - complete waste of space the lot of them.

Having said that, whilst I applaud LDC's sentiment I think Farke has far too much class to come back even in the extremely unlikely event of us asking him to. So I think we just have to accept that we have just blown a once in a lifetime chance of having a long term manager who could eventually have transformed the club into the top 17 club that it has aspired to be for many years but has never quite made it.

We aren't going to make it this time either and IMO probably won't ever because 'we' (and that means both the fans and the owners but mainly the fans) don't have the patience to run with a long term project. That for me is the very sad lesson of Daniel's time - not only have we seen seasons of glorious football but the club has been hugely strenghtened in both footballing and financial terms. But because we might get relegated again (in a much better position than we were last time) we've lost our nerve and thrown out the baby with the bathwater.

So we're not completely back to square one but the Head Coach's job has been turned into something of a poisoned chalice and its hard to see how the next guy, however good he is, is going to even be given the time that Daniel was. So we're back on the managerial treadmill, spinning merrily and aimlessly.

So despite TWO woeful seasons under Farke in the top flight you think he could have turned us into a top 17 club? You obviously don’t know about his record at the other clubs where promotion was always followed by relegation 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So despite TWO woeful seasons under Farke in the top flight you think he could have turned us into a top 17 club? You obviously don’t know about his record at the other clubs where promotion was always followed by relegation 🤣🤣🤣

I do think this is somewhat harsh on Farke. The first season in the premier he was given no realistic chance as we spent nothing, this is widely accepted and worse the injury crisis at the beginning of that season killed any momentum we could have taken on. Yes, I do agree we were woeful after project restart, which I guess again was a bizarrely unique sense of circumstances. So given that I think we have allowed this can’t manage at this level viewpoint to build from this seasons bad form.