Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Just get him back

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Smith did it the same season.  Your point is just idiotic.

The stupid thing is he’s not even my choice for the job, but I’m finding myself defending him - this dissing of him and his record seems to be based purely and only on ignorance.  

So what’s your point, you just made the argument that he’s no better than we had! You look at who Villa bought in in his season!

Edited by Indy

1 minute ago, Indy said:

So what’s your point, you just made the argument that he’s no better than we had! You look at who Villa bought in in his season!

Bought in on the back of a season he guided them to 11th and a cup final. These players wouldn't be there right now if not for him.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

What?  How/where the hell did I do that?!  

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Bought in on the back of a season he guided them to 11th and a cup final. These players wouldn't be there right now if not for him.

exactly.  DF failed at PL level, Smith has done his apprenticeship and kept his side up, twice.   

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

What?  How/where the hell did I do that?!  

exactly.  DF failed at PL level, Smith has done his apprenticeship and kept his side up, twice.   

Spending 180 million, Leicester won the league spending less! 🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

This is beyond ridiculous now. I feel like Uncle Fred writing this, but just get DF back.  This nonsense of getting someone in who only days before has just been sacked for a bad run in the PL is just bonkers. First is the saga with that serial applicant who walks away from jobs before he has been offered them, then Smith, who may be a good man and manager - but really?   Better than Farke? Worth all this hassle, upheaval and expense? Not for me.

I"m done with this, getting rid of season's seats.  At least try thinking outside the box, maybe bring back Farke to coach the first halfs and hire Smith to coach the second halfs, something.....anything.  I've done nothing but smell desparation since I came to this board, at first I thought it was Lake's wife's cooking but sadly it was the stench of fear, loss, and relegation all rolled up into Webber's wife's panties and served at the concession stand as a "Canary Dog".   I'm out.

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

We aren't going to make it this time either and IMO probably won't ever because 'we' (and that means both the fans and the owners but mainly the fans) don't have the patience to run with a long term project. That for me is the very sad lesson of Daniel's time - not only have we seen seasons of glorious football but the club has been hugely strenghtened in both footballing and financial terms. But because we might get relegated again (in a much better position than we were last time) we've lost our nerve and thrown out the baby with the bathwater.

So we're not completely back to square one but the Head Coach's job has been turned into something of a poisoned chalice and its hard to see how the next guy, however good he is, is going to even be given the time that Daniel was. So we're back on the managerial treadmill, spinning merrily and aimlessly

Do you really believe any of that?

The fans don’t have the patience? I agree there are a lot of fans (of every club) who want instant success and start booing on the back of a bad performance/result irrespective of any context. But on the whole, Norwich fans are very patient. After the results, and more importantly performances this season so far it’s testament to the goodwill Farke had in the bank that it didn’t turn really ugly. It’s also down to the fact Norwich fans have been incredibly patient, hoping something would click and Farke would be the man to continue his legacy of excellent at championship level, and become a proper PL manager establishing us (as much as can be) for many years.

Ive spoken about how much I love Farke but surely it was obvious to everyone that we were going nowhere, nothing was changing and it was a lot of hope rather that expectation that we’d get anything out of games this season? For me, Leeds was a real damning result. Leeds are poor, really poor with one exceptional talent who deserves to be at a top 6 side. That we looked so abject against them at home, spoke volumes.

We need to progress as a club. That’s becoming a regular PL side. We know Farke can get us up. We gave him a second chance at keeping us up. 1 win in 11 and 5 goals scored is not good enough. But it shows patience. Maybe too much.

The board had patience, the fans had patience. Everyone wanted it to work. It just wasn’t going to.

• Like 1

I think one of the reasons we sacked Farke was that even in case of relegation we wouldn't want to stick with him for a couple of reasons. 1) Relegation (if it happens) will be very different this time than it was last time. There will be turmoil, sales, reorganisation.   A new team will be built, which will probably not bounce back instantly even with Farke, who needed a season himself to put a Championship winning team together. And then, if we return, say after two seasons, would we want Farke to manage us in the Prem after two relegations, or would we sack him after a promotion? 2) There's a difference between relegation and relegation. Another 21 pointer (or worse) would probably be highly detrimental to morale as well as player values. We'd want to avoid getting stuck with expensive players, who may not want/be fit to play in the Champs, so I think we'd need at least 35 points and a fighting chance until the end to avoid that.          

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

This is beyond ridiculous now. I feel like Uncle Fred writing this, but just get DF back.  This nonsense of getting someone in who only days before has just been sacked for a bad run in the PL is just bonkers. First is the saga with that serial applicant who walks away from jobs before he has been offered them, then Smith, who may be a good man and manager - but really?   Better than Farke? Worth all this hassle, upheaval and expense? Not for me.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.   Suggestions like this are, and always will be, tinpot.

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

You must be a nervous wreck when watching the soaps on the TV

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Lakey's playlist.

image.png.f1de703b49ce7da67b12037ad9e5457a.png

And his favourite painting's all smudged...

• Haha 2

Ok. Very good.😅

But last Saturday was avery emotional win, like it seems so long since we won a game and to finally get that win was amazing - a kind of right, now we can start to get down to business. For Farke it appeared to be a vindication that he hadn't lost the players as people were saying, that the spirit was good in the team, that Cantwell was to be back in the squad the following week, that things were finally turning in our favour, that players would start to feel confidence and the club to seem a better place. 

So it felt like a huge shock when he was announced as being sacked - and yes, i still feel that today. it feels like a mistake and he should have been backed, even if there were issues behind the scenes. Back him, support him and see what he can do - turn a disparate group of players into a winning team.

More importantly, what am I now suposed to do with this........

image.jpeg.4b73223d271e5eb448557ae6522e8511.jpeg

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Ok. Very good.😅

But last Saturday was avery emotional win, like it seems so long since we won a game and to finally get that win was amazing - a kind of right, now we can start to get down to business. For Farke it appeared to be a vindication that he hadn't lost the players as people were saying, that the spirit was good in the team, that Cantwell was to be back in the squad the following week, that things were finally turning in our favour, that players would start to feel confidence and the club to seem a better place. 

So it felt like a huge shock when he was announced as being sacked - and yes, i still feel that today. it feels like a mistake and he should have been backed, even if there were issues behind the scenes. Back him, support him and see what he can do - turn a disparate group of players into a winning team.

To be fair, Lakey, I've got one of those bobbleheads too. Maybe we could get as many people as possible to send them to me, and I'll go down the ground in the early hours and line them all up in a queue outside the club shop for you, with the one at the front holding a little business card that says "NOW LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE, STUART"

• Haha 1

Lakey - all this therapy you are getting is well and good but there is no such thing as a free lunch . 

Drop me your email and I’ll send my invoice . Or go and pick up some litter .  

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Ok. Very good.😅

I'm going to resist suggesting the obvious...!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Lakey - all this therapy you are getting is well and good but there is no such thing as a free lunch .

Drop me your email and I’ll send my invoice . Or shut up. 

image.jpeg.b09f26e32be2b7c1949886d44865a65a.jpeg

10 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We were going down with Farke...we dont yet know what Smith might bring to the table

It may simply be to reunite the squad and resolve the Cantwell situation, clean slate, blah, blah, we’re all in this together.

Fine margins and playing as a unit.

Or issues could run deeper😬

6 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Do you really believe any of that?

Yes, I do - all of it actually - I worded it quite carefully to articulate as clearly as I could what I feel about the current situation at the club.

Maybe I didn't articulate it clearly enough but it is only a personal opinion after all, and in fact we appear to agree on a fair bit. Where we mainly part company, I think, is how you measure/assess 'progress' and I guess that also ties in somewhat to timescale, i.e. patience.

IMO the club has made a huge amount of progress both on and off the field since the Webber\Farke era began - not a particularly contentious opinion I would hope. But especially given the state of the club when they took over it was never going to be straight line upwards progress, and so it has proved but nevertheless a huge amount of progress has been made.

So your view, along with many others, is that due to a disappointing start to this season that progress has not just stopped but can't be restarted without a change at the top. I understand that view but fundamentally disagree with it. That was my initial reaction to Farke's sacking and TBH has been strengthened by the shambolic week which has followed - maybe Webber will still manage to pull a rabbit out of the hat but the fact that we've even been talking to coaches such as Lampard and Smith suggest to me that this whole affair represents an enormous lapse of judgement and due diligence by Webber.

11 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

So we're back on the managerial treadmill, spinning merrily and aimlessly.

Whatever you do Creative Midfielder, don't ever reflect on the fact that we're all sitting on a big rock in a solar system which is 4.5 billion years old, I'm not sure if you'd be able to cope with black holes, asteroids, and the likelihood that alien life forms with more advanced weaponry likely exists out there somewhere.

Look, Farke would have walked from us the moment Dortmund decided they wanted him... there was no 20 year project.... Farke would have been tempted by a job at some point, he never brought his family over apparently. Arminia Bielefeld will probably want him at some stage now he's a free agent and he'd be well chuffed with that for geographical reasons. This isn't utopia, relationships are typically time limited.