Sign in to follow this  
pete

Smith announced on Sky at 8.30

34 minutes ago, Mark22 said:

Never felt so upset losing a manager before because he is such a decent guy that has been dealt a bad hand this season with Grealish going and loads of injuries to his players he brought in as replacements

This seems quite familiar. Swap Buendía for Grealish and 'covid-ravaged pre-season' for the injuries and you've got pretty much how lots of us felt about Farke. I think quite a lot of the negativity towards his appointment is because lots of people haven't quite got over losing DF. But what you and a couple of other Villa fans have written on here suggests we've got a good coach and - just as importantly for me - a good man.

Good luck for the rest of the season. Hope Emi starts flying for you.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, randy.stand said:

Villa fan in peace- I honestly think Deano is getting a bad rap on here and people not actually realising what a good job he has done throughout his career. So stick with me- I'll try and settle your minds a bit on it.

Brilliant post: thanks so much and all the best. 

3 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Good luck for the rest of the season. Hope Emi starts flying for you.

Would you answer one quick question about Emi if you have the time at all. Namely did he always appear like he was gassed ?  The one thing we have seen is that he looks like he is running in mud after 60 mins. Did you experience the same ? 

7 minutes ago, Mark22 said:

Would you answer one quick question about Emi if you have the time at all. Namely did he always appear like he was gassed ?  The one thing we have seen is that he looks like he is running in mud after 60 mins. Did you experience the same ? 

Not as I recall. One of the reasons we loved him was that he worked really hard to win the ball back. He almost always played the full 90 for us. Unless he got sent off, of course.

Not sure whether Smith asked more of him in terms of pressing than DF did. And last season in the Championship we often had 70%+ possession so it's possible that he wasn't tested as much in that area.

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What percentage have gone on a week loan whinge bender.

2%? 

I assume you mean long? Are you upset that a week wasn't long enough? As we've all seen with your crusade against Farke, you like your whinge benders to last several weeks.

Just now, canarydan23 said:

I assume you mean long? Are you upset that a week wasn't long enough? As we've all seen with your crusade against Farke, you like your whinge benders to last several weeks.

Moany McMoanface on a sponsored charity moan.

Stop moaning! 

6 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Give him £150 million plus in transfer spend and he'd get players who wouldn't need coaching. Some of these comparisons people have been making are idiotic. I saw someone say "don't be upset with Dean Smith, look at his Premier League record compared to Farke's". It's a ridiculous comparison to make. It'd be like me playing Monopoly against you, I start with ten times the cash as well as Mayfair, Park Lane, Regent Street, Bond Street and Oxford Street all with hotels on and then using the fact that I beat you as evidence I'm a much better Monopoly player.

^This

4 hours ago, sgncfc said:

It will come down to the game against Southampton. If we are still all over the place and lose horribly, I can see the crowd taking against Smith pretty much straightaway because he isn't Daniel Farke. Conversely, play well, even win the game and he will be the best thing since sliced bread. Fickle bunch, we football fans.

He'd have to do a lot more than just beat Southampton for me to be convinced we've upgraded on Farke.

New manager effect, players playing for their future/keen to impress the new boss. 

Farke was sacked with Norwich 13th in the form table and 5 points from the last 5 games. Villa by contrast were 20th with 5 consecutive losses when Smith was sacked. 

4 hours ago, pete said:

The best thing about appointing Smith is he has a good pedigree at Championship level.  He will need it for that is where City will be shortly.

I thought the whole point of sacking Farke was to keep us in the Premier League by appointing a superior manager.

If the plan was to try to come up again next season we already had the best man for that job.

6 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

He'd have to do a lot more than just beat Southampton for me to be convinced we've upgraded on Farke.

New manager effect, players playing for their future/keen to impress the new boss. 

Farke was sacked with Norwich 13th in the form table and 5 points from the last 5 games. Villa by contrast were 20th with 5 consecutive losses when Smith was sacked. 

I, too, think 5 games are much more important than 49 games. Or in Smith's case, 87 games. All data scientists would definitely think the same as you too.

And if we'd appointed Jurgen Klopp last season at a time Liverpool had their worst home run since 1923... well, hell would've hath no fury, I tell you!

9 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

I, too, think 5 games are much more important than 49 games. Or in Smith's case, 87 games. All data scientists would definitely think the same as you too.

And if we'd appointed Jurgen Klopp last season at a time Liverpool had their worst home run since 1923... well, hell would've hath no fury, I tell you!

I still maintain that Farke's PL record prior to this season is irrelevant. NO manager would have much of a better record under the circumstances he found himself managing.

A total permanent investment of £750k into a team of Championship players. I dont think any newly promoted team has ever invested less in improving it's team.

The media loved to hit us over the head with all of the statistics, but the reality is we didnt stand a chance.

This season was supposed to be different. But whilst we've spent a lot in Norwich terms we've still not spent a huge amount compared to our competitors. And the fanbase remains yet to be convinced that Webber has filled the team with Premier League standard world beaters that Farke was mismanaging.

The pundits think we're going down whoever the manager is - what does that tell you about their perception of the squad? Where are all the pundits slagging off Farke and saying 'He REALLY should be doing FAR better with THAT squad at his disposal!'

In blaming Farke, Webber is merely trying to continue the illusion that his recruits are silk purses and not sow's ears. 

Hmmm, Championship standard players get beat every week by Premier League standard players? Must be the manager mate...

2 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Hmmm, Championship standard players get beat every week by Premier League standard players? Must be the manager mate...

Are Todd Cantwell and Billy Gilmour 'Championship standard players'? It's a serious question.

What happens to a self-funding model when the head coach drives down the value of certain players by not picking them, and burns bridges with world leading clubs by bizarrely ostracising highly rated loanees? Another serious question.

Did you see the clips of training put out by the club after the Leeds game? Very happy squad right up for it, put through their paces in highly innovative style and right on the top of their game, I don't think. Sometimes things just come to a natural end point. Which they most certainly did in Daniel's case.

As for your point about pundits: oooh, pundits in dismissing Norwich shocker! This has never happened before! But the thing about Dean Smith is: his entire career in management has been based on proving people wrong. And if he takes the job, it'll be because of his determination to prove Villa's board wrong too.

2 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

Are Todd Cantwell and Billy Gilmour 'Championship standard players'? It's a serious question.

What happens to a self-funding model when the head coach drives down the value of certain players by not picking them, and burns bridges with world leading clubs by bizarrely ostracising highly rated loanees? Another serious question.

Did you see the clips of training put out by the club after the Leeds game? Very happy squad right up for it, put through their paces in highly innovative style and right on the top of their game, I don't think. Sometimes things just come to a natural end point. Which they most certainly did in Daniel's case.

As for your point about pundits: oooh, pundits in dismissing Norwich shocker! This has never happened before! But the thing about Dean Smith is: his entire career in management has been based on proving people wrong. And if he takes the job, it'll be because of his determination to prove Villa's board wrong too.

All fair points. I think Cantwell is hugely overrated personally. He scored some eye-catching goals against the big boys, but he is a classic example of style over substance. His image is designed to convince people he is more flamboyant and top-level than he actually is. Most people thought he needed a championship loan last season in the Prem. Yes he proved us all wrong, but that season was a meteoric rise. However, his stats from the second half of that season onwards are hardly world-beating. If he was as good as he thinks he is Im sure we'd have struggled to keep hold of him, and Daniel certainly wouldnt put his job on the line by keeping Pele out of the team.

Gilmour is a different proposition. People (Chelsea fans) think he 'hasnt been given a chance'. He was and he was terrible. His physique was an ever-present weakness in the team and he showed none of the passing ability and mobility to offset his size that had previously been on show in blue. Personally I think he was worth a recall as everyone else was equally as dross, Normann aside, but there does seem to be more to Gilmour's absence. Perhaps Farke felt too secure in his position sitting on a 4 year contract. Would be interesting to know if there is anything in the rumours of a fall out between him and Cantwell. Ultimately it is arguable that Farke's position on Gilmour and Cantwell cost him his job. And he does have history in freezing out players. Sometimes it seems justified (Watkins, Oliveira, Drmic) sometimes it seems down to attitude and training (Edwards, Roberts). Sometimes it seems Farke looking for a response which those with bad attitudes never provide, but that is guesswork. Could be poor man management.

And no, I didnt see the clips of training, Id appreciate a link if you have one? I know the club put them out, which is a bit ugly imo.

Thanks to the write ups about Smith and the posts from Villa fans on this thread, Ive warmed to the idea of Smith & Shakespeare.

But I’m looking forward to hearing a “why Norwich?” for explanation from Smith because in theory Norwich is a step down from Villa. Sorry if that upsets a few people, but most independent football fans would agree. 

So my only concern - which will hopefully be elevated soon - is that this is some kind of rebound relationship from Smith? We want someone who’s in it for the long run. If we get relegated and a job comes up in the Premier League, will he stick with us?

3 minutes ago, Canary Jedi said:

Thanks to the write ups about Smith and the posts from Villa fans on this thread, Ive warmed to the idea of Smith & Shakespeare.

But I’m looking forward to hearing a “why Norwich?” for explanation from Smith because in theory Norwich is a step down from Villa. Sorry if that upsets a few people, but most independent football fans would agree. 

So my only concern - which will hopefully be elevated soon - is that this is some kind of rebound relationship from Smith? We want someone who’s in it for the long run. If we get relegated and a job comes up in the Premier League, will he stick with us?

His record has been one of being loyal. Never less than 3 years in a managers post. Villa was presumeably his dream job as a Villa fan so can see why he left Brentford for that. So no evidence to suggest he will jump ship, but only time will tell.

• Like 1

I don't get this....

Where are all the people admitting that Dean Smith has given this squad the shot in the arm it needs, putting their hands up and admitting that in just two games he's given us all hope.

Toon fans can't say the same of Eddie Howe yet

istock-145839390.thumb.jpg.1b4c07adc4c22ebad4352bc2aeb54fae.jpg can they.

18 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't get this....

Where are all the people admitting that Dean Smith has given this squad the shot in the arm it needs, putting their hands up and admitting that in just two games he's given us all hope.

Toon fans can't say the same of Eddie Howe yet

istock-145839390.thumb.jpg.1b4c07adc4c22ebad4352bc2aeb54fae.jpg can they.

Considering I initially could see no point in swapping Farke for Smith, I have to say so far has been significantly beyond my expectations in terms of performance.

If anyone was doubting that we needed a change, for me these two games will have surely helped.  Yes, there’s the new manager bounce (that often doesn’t actually happen) but we’ve looked far more assured in defence, positive in attack and far less ponderous; Cantwell and Gilmour being left in the cold has been sorted and in the same way that 433 didn’t seem to work for DF, it seems to be doing so for DS.  

Quote from Gilmour: “He (Dean Smith) has come in, he's been ruthless with us, how we train, the intensity. Even in the games you can see there's a massive difference and it feels like it as well.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

If anyone was doubting that we needed a change, for me these two games will have surely helped.  Yes, there’s the new manager bounce (that often doesn’t actually happen) but we’ve looked far more assured in defence, positive in attack and far less ponderous; Cantwell and Gilmour being left in the cold has been sorted and in the same way that 433 didn’t seem to work for DF, it seems to be doing so for DS.  

We got what Webber and the board thought we needed, let’s not forget we had started to turn the corner, two draws and a win from the four previous games under Farke, so momentum and definitely Smiths new coach style has been great to see getting more from a squad gaining confidence.

25 minutes ago, Indy said:

We got what Webber and the board thought we needed, let’s not forget we had started to turn the corner, two draws and a win from the four previous games under Farke, so momentum and definitely Smiths new coach style has been great to see getting more from a squad gaining confidence.

Turned the corner? Really? Two pretty tedious nil-nils followed by one of our most abject ever performances v Chelsea and then the most confused XI selection v Leeds?  That’s not too much of a corner, though the win at Brentford was of course very welcome!

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Considering I initially could see no point in swapping Farke for Smith, I have to say so far has been significantly beyond my expectations in terms of performance.

This^^^  All things considered, Farke had started to get us points - and the belief was still intact as shown against Brentford - so it was ideal for someone to come in and take it further on with a bit of a kick up the backsides to the players and a fresh approach.  So Smith has certainly done that and well done to him and it bodes well for our progress this season. 

On 12/11/2021 at 20:43, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hmm, the guy who with Bunedia and a Villa squad worth 4x ours and quite frankly a better and stronger squad than ours was on a 4 match winless run with them.

Here we go..

Now I'm not saying I made that post rather rashly and in hindsight I may look a fool

but

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Turned the corner? Really? Two pretty tedious nil-nils followed by one of our most abject ever performances v Chelsea and then the most confused XI selection v Leeds?  That’s not too much of a corner, though the win at Brentford was of course very welcome!

Yes I’d say so after all defeats, it’s certainly a turnaround! Now three unbeaten and two wins, two draws and two defeats in the last 6. I’d definitely say a great change in form and it needs to continue in the same manner to have any chance of staying up.