Sign in to follow this  
pete

Smith announced on Sky at 8.30

9 minutes ago, Indy said:

I concur it can’t be Smith, he wasn’t even available nor has he actually got any good track record…..Farke is a far better coach. Utter dross that can’t be true…..rather have Martin.

Whilst it's obvious Smith is NOT the number 1 choice as you rightly say, the notion that Farke is 'a far better coach' is based on what exactly?

The respective PL records are stark...............

DS played 87, Won 28 and Lost 43

DF played 49, Won 6 and Lost 49!!

It's not even close but reveals Farkes' embarrassing PL failure. 

5 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Managerial record...underwhelmimg doesn't begin to describe it.

Walsall

4 January 2011

30 November 2015

Pl

W

D

L

[101]
Brentford 30 November 2015 10 October 2018 143 57 35 51 39.86 [101]
Aston Villa 10 October 2018 7 November 2021 139 55 28 56 39.5

It’s ridiculous to say that - you know absolutely nothing about the circumstances at each club.  For instance - Brentford had recently been promoted from L1 and top 10 finishes in the Champs were surely above expectation.  They were going pretty well when he was nabbed by Villa…who he got promoted and managed to stay up 2 seasons running. 

• Like 1

Ok this is concerning. Webber clearly didn’t have a ****ing clue who he wanted when he sacked Farke if this is the case

Edited by Virtual reality

Not official until the club announces it......Eye's tightly shut, fingers in ears and shouting "Lah lah lah lah Lah lah lah lah Lah lah lah lah Lah lah lah lah as loud as I can.... 

• Haha 1

Not excited but I'd rather have Smith than Lampard. Not sure it's much of a step up from Farke though

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Better than Lampard but hardly inspiring 

Better than Lampard, certainly. The Connor Southwell piece is worth a read, and makes a fair case, while admitting the cons, and makes me a touch more optimistic than I was. He certainly sounds more like a head coach, which is what we want, than Lampard.  What I heard on a Guardian podcast was that Ings was signed over his head and trying to fit him and Watkins into the side caused a problem.

• Like 1

Well I quite like the idea of Dean Smith. Plays exciting football, has experience of promotion, managing big games, bringing young players through, surviving relegation, playing with a low budget (Brentford), playing with a high budget (Villa).

We are bottom with 5 points, hardly gonna attract Klopp so why not get the guy who beat him 7-2 instead 😉

I'm just surprised he's so keen to get back into things so soon after losing his dream job.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Ok this is concerning. Webber clearly didn’t have a ****ing clue who he wanted when he sacked Farke if this is the case

or he did and then Dean Smith impressed him more?

• Like 1

Wasn't there something the other day which said Smith was interviewed and impressed them because of his knowledge of our squad and also buying into the culture of the club? Not sure where that came from but maybe it is accurate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Well I quite like the idea of Dean Smith. Plays exciting football, has experience of promotion, managing big games, bringing young players through, surviving relegation, playing with a low budget (Brentford), playing with a high budget (Villa).

We are bottom with 5 points, hardly gonna attract Klopp so why not get the guy who beat him 7-2 instead 😉

I'm just surprised he's so keen to get back into things so soon after losing his dream job.

Maybe he has an extra determination to prove Villa wrong. Something which could work in our favour.

Just now, Tetteys Jig said:

or he did and then Dean Smith impressed him more?

If the two options were Lampard and Smith, one of which wasn’t even available when the decision to sack Farke was made, then that is incompetence of the highest level from Webber.  Considering this is a man who we were told plans the future down to even his own replacement.

I'm sure Webber has always talked about succession planning and having lists of potential replacements for players,managers, even his own position.

It just seems too convenient to sack Farke and then an ideal candidate becomes available 

I'm also concerned he has just been sacked and has had no time to recharge his batteries or get his head straight 

But this appointment is defining for webber 

I think the progression plan that is in place is more for a type of coach that fits the criteria rather than a certain name  . Smith becoming available might be seen by Webber as a bonus candidate.

10 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Well if it is Dean you have to support and embrace the appointment. This would be an par with Adams and Gunn but let’s hope for a better outcome. 

How on earth is it on par with two appointments who were already within the club, and had no managerial experience?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

How on earth is it on par with two appointments who were already within the club, and had no managerial experience?

Same level of enthusiasm for the appointment 

12 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Well if it is Dean you have to support and embrace the appointment. This would be on a par with  Gunn but let’s hope for a better outcome. 

And they say comedy is dead...

• Haha 1

I can’t accept we’d sack Farke, then hire Dean Smith and cost ourselves a fortune for the privilege.

this just isn’t happening I’m afraid, or rather I’m pleased to say.

Just now, Coneys Knee said:

I can’t accept we’d sack Farke, then hire Dean Smith and cost ourselves a fortune for the privilege.

this just isn’t happening I’m afraid, or rather I’m pleased to say.

Unfortunately I think this is exactly what we’ve done by the looks of it. Talk sport and sky are easily dismissed. Local journalists not so much 

It’s an underwhelming appointment and smacks of us not having a plan when we sacked Farke which is concerning but he’s not a bad coach and it’s worth pointing out that he got his (in my view inferior to us) Villa side to fiiish above us in the prem snd stick 5 past us at Carrow Road by exploiting our weaknesses.

We could do worse. 

Not enthused about this. Yes I can see some of the positives he’s done, but I’m worried that a manager who wasn’t getting the best out of a quality squad is going to struggle to do that with ours. He’s been on a losing streak and he needs to shake that as much as we have needed to as a club, starting up at a new premier club after one week seems rushed and not likely to put the odds in it working out in our favour. 

Also have to add my voice to the those asking, if this was decided on the Monday after Leeds, what exactly was the plan with regards a replacement if our new manager still had a job when we sacked ours. Could well be a happy coincidence, but Webber will face questions about this and have to appease a lot of restless fans who find it hard to see a step up in quality and a feeling of making it up as we went along.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hmm, the guy who with Bunedia and a Villa squad worth 4x ours and quite frankly a better and stronger squad than ours was on a 4 match winless run with them.

Here we go..

So we are going to beat the man before a ball is kicked.

In the 19/20 Premier season Villa amassed 35 points to our 21 and conceded half the goals we did under Farke.

This season they are on double the points we are, with 3 wins verses 1 and nearly 1/4 of the goals conceded that we have under Farke, that is they have conceded 0.5 goals per game to our 2. 

The one negative stat you could find is they have lost 4 games on the spin which any team outside the top 6 could do.

But obviously for some of us Norwich fans this appointment is doomed already. Why don't we throw him in the castle moat and if he dies we know for sure he would have been a good coach

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I said at the time that sacking Farke was a knee jerk reaction but it runs a poor second to this one. It smacks of desperation.

• Like 3