Sign in to follow this  
allways travelling

Eearnshaw or ashton

Give me earnshaw everytime ashton is overated fat and unfit and plays when he wants to.Never thought he looked like a hungry goalscorer when he played.Earnshaw looks like he is busting a gut to get goals or do well for city.Being fat and unfit was the reason ashton is always injured i would love to see him attempt a back flip when he scores.The money we got for ashton is going to turn out to be the best bit of buisness this club has done for years.And in earnshaw we have someone who will always get goals that i am sure of and not throw his dummy ouy when things are not going well.Ashton never looked like a players player to me just interested in himself more than the team.GOOD RIDDANCE TO HIM.

I wholeheartedly agree with everthing you say.

I''ve always said that he''s overrated and a player of the Cherno Samba/Peter Mellor mould - they being players who showed plenty of promise but never lived up to expectations.

Ashton will struggle to ever make an England squad.

In Ashtons defence, We had been negotiating with other clubs for two months, I doubt many players would have stayed interested in the club, I am one of Ashtons biggest fans and to call him fat is ridiculous! A premiership club chasing Europe would not spend £7million on somebody that was fat and unfit, and someone that was fat and unfit would not have scored 2 goals in 4 appearances in the Prem. I think your views on Ashton are harsh, however I completely agree that Earnshaw is a fantastic Asset and a good addition to the squad, someone who can drop deep to get the ball and make things happen, rather than Ashton, who always needed a partner like earnie himself to cause problems, as his flicks and holding up of the ball often went to waste. I think it showed when he was partnered by McVeigh and things happened.

Dont be so bitter about Ashton, please, I think it shows that you still havent got over him! your still bitter about something a month on, get over it! If you dont LIKE Ashton, fair enough, I dont LIKE mckenzie, but dont deny the quality of Ashton, he''s now beggining to prove himself once again in the prem. Look on the bright side of life, we got £7million for a player you clearly dont rate, be happy about it, if we got that for mckenzie (haha, hypothetical clearly) i would be over the moon.

I''m sorry, but how fickle can some people be?! I bet 6 months ago Deano was the best thing since sliced wholemeal kingsmill to you!

I think you''ll find Deano never threw his dummy out when things went wrong, quite the opposite. When we went through that (really) horrible spell at the end of Oct and the start of Nov, Deano was the only player who you could say came out of those games with any credit. The QPR game springs to mind as one where he gave his all for the team, but the other 10 did less than nothing and we came away witha 3-0 hammering. So to say he''s not a "players player" is ridiculous. The reason he never scored more for us was the lack of service for a totally inept midfield. I think you''ll come to realise this sooner rather than later once Earnie doesn''t score the hatfuls everyone is expceting of him. If there''s nobody providing the striker the ball, he ain''t going to score my friend.

It makes me sick when you see people slating ex-players on here, Deano did more than enough for us, and whould have done a lot more, but for Worthy''s failure to sign creative midfielders, instead opting for workhorses/carthorses.

So lets just leave Deano alone and admire while he scores goals for West Ham from decent service, and possibly (slim chance) goes to Germany.

in the current situation i''d rather have earnshaw, as he cost about half of ashton. but for the same price, ashton every time.

[quote user="allways travelling"]Give me earnshaw everytime ashton is overated fat and unfit and plays when he wants to.Never thought he looked like a hungry goalscorer when he played.Earnshaw looks like he is busting a gut to get goals or do well for city.Being fat and unfit was the reason ashton is always injured i would love to see him attempt a back flip when he scores.The money we got for ashton is going to turn out to be the best bit of buisness this club has done for years.And in earnshaw we have someone who will always get goals that i am sure of and not throw his dummy ouy when things are not going well.Ashton never looked like a players player to me just interested in himself more than the team.GOOD RIDDANCE TO HIM.[/quote]

I would exactly go as far as saying good riddance to Ashton, but I do agree with everything else you say.  I agree he looked fat and unfit and he never quite did it for me.  He never looked like scoring many goals for Norwich or wanting to.

Some of these posts amaze me! Ashton was quality and easily the best striker in the league. He is a much better all round player than Earnshaw and managed to score 11 goals despite having his mind on the prem, dealing with speculation, being injured and having a team play badly around him! I would love to see Ashton and Earnie play together but if I had to pick one or the other there would be no contest!

Ok Earnie has pace but he can''t win headers, his positional play isn''t so good and his control and all round game is easily inferior to Ashton''s. While I was pleased we splashed the cash and signed him, I still believe he was a poor replacement for Ashton. We were lucky to ever get Ashton in the first place and I think credit goes to him for staying on past our relegation. If we had looked like getting promoted this season then I''m suure he would have stayed, hence him signing the contract extension at the beginning of the season. If he''d wanted out all along, why would he have signed that?? I''m sorry he''s left but wish him all the best for the future. He deserves to play at the highest level with quality around him!

I think it was clear we needed to sell ashton to enable us to rebuild in other areas (JJ, Rehman and Earnshaw and more please!).  I think the money received from the sale of Ashton will enable us to be a force next season if the money is spent wisely - So a good piece of business by the the club.  Its a shame that he is being slated by some Norwich fans as he could have been an absolute legend for Norwich if we would have stayed up last season....

Well would have loved to have seen the two of them together.

Ashton has good skill, nice touch, worked hard the times I have seen him play for both Crewe and Norwich and reminds me of a poor mans Teddy. Lacks pace which will stop him ever playing regularly for England, if at all and he does look heavy to me. Maybe it’s his build, but he’s what 23 and 14st 9lbs? Sounds too heavy for me at that age and a professional athlete. I might be making a comeback, then again maybe not…

Earnshaw, well has pace, more of a nose for goal, maybe lacks the awareness of Ashton and obviously not a great threat in the air. Still for the money and business we did, I think we did the better out the deal. No harsh feelings over Ashton either. Good luck to him.

[quote user="Andrew Kent"]

I''m sorry, but how fickle can some people be?! I bet 6 months ago Deano was the best thing since sliced wholemeal kingsmill to you!

I think you''ll find Deano never threw his dummy out when things went wrong, quite the opposite. When we went through that (really) horrible spell at the end of Oct and the start of Nov, Deano was the only player who you could say came out of those games with any credit. The QPR game springs to mind as one where he gave his all for the team, but the other 10 did less than nothing and we came away witha 3-0 hammering. So to say he''s not a "players player" is ridiculous. The reason he never scored more for us was the lack of service for a totally inept midfield. I think you''ll come to realise this sooner rather than later once Earnie doesn''t score the hatfuls everyone is expceting of him. If there''s nobody providing the striker the ball, he ain''t going to score my friend.

It makes me sick when you see people slating ex-players on here, Deano did more than enough for us, and whould have done a lot more, but for Worthy''s failure to sign creative midfielders, instead opting for workhorses/carthorses.

So lets just leave Deano alone and admire while he scores goals for West Ham from decent service, and possibly (slim chance) goes to Germany.

[/quote]Everyone has opinions regarding players and i think my opinion will turn out to be spot on with ashton Slim chance of him going to germany you are way of the mark here.Ashton will never get a full england cap he just is not good enough in time i think he will struggle to get in the hammers team he will end up being a bench warmer for them. Which will result in him getting even fatter and more injuries proneieiki j correct. oline  

We miss his physical presents but not his ablity to score he missed some absolute sitters TBH ,but i am more than happy with Earnshaw and he seems to have a better relationship with fans after only a couple of weeks that Ashton could not acheive after being here a year he just seemed so distant from the fans and players and never looked truly happy to be here ,all in all he was dissapointing to the point of frustrating because the lad has abilty no doubt but i think he  has been overrated by far to many people mainly the media ,still good job they did as we got one hell of a price for him considering his faults but at just 22 he may still go on to prove me wrong but in my eyes he is on a par with players like James Beattie  good solid forwards but nothing out of the ordinary . His plus points nice touch for a big man physical presents can shoot from all angles good in the air and on the floor , weak point lacks real pace an abilty to miss sitters a bit lazy at times and seems to suffer from hamstring and back problems .

Ashton for me - he has a better touch and his goal scoring record is superb.   

However that does not mean Earnshaw is second best by any means - he has the potential to be a real asset if we can learn to play to him properly; the sad thing is if we do that and get the best out of earnshaw we will then be playing the style of football that would have got the best out of ashton too and probably been in a play off place.  

Earnie will look good once we play to his strengths, until then there will only be so much he can do.  I am very happy to have Earnie in our squad.

Both are quality players, Ashton is a class act who we made a small profit on while Earnie is very nearly as good and was bought with the only a proportion of the Ashton money - a win for everyone methinks.

Andrew Kent, of course he was the best thing since sliced bread 6 months ago (although I still remember a lot of general dissatisfaction with him missing sitters) because then he was a City player. Now he isn''t so why would I give two hoots about him either way.  

[quote user="Craig Colling"]

I think it was clear we needed to sell ashton to enable us to rebuild in other areas (JJ, Rehman and Earnshaw and more please!).  I think the money received from the sale of Ashton will enable us to be a force next season if the money is spent wisely - So a good piece of business by the the club.  Its a shame that he is being slated by some Norwich fans as he could have been an absolute legend for Norwich if we would have stayed up last season....

[/quote]Sorry my friend the absolute legend will be EARNSHAW just wait and see.

[quote user="mighty yellow"]England player in the making mark my words. Possibly the best player I have ever seen in a City shirt.[/quote] Couldn''t agree with you more!! I''m amazed how quickly fans have turned on Ashton. We were lucky he came to city in the first place and even more so that he stayed beyond our relegation!! He''s ambitious - you can''t begrudge him that!!

[quote user="allways travelling"]Give me earnshaw everytime ashton is overated fat and unfit and plays when he wants to..[/quote]

what a positive influence on his Career Nigel Worthington had eh???

when Ashton first signed he was slimmer, Fit and eager to learn and score goals.... he wanted to play (and win) every week and almost kept us up with some excellent performances...

1 year on after Worthy has treated the lad like a plonker and trained the skill and ability out of him Ashton has become disillusioned and wanbted to move on... would u, if u were Dean Ashton, stay at Norwich city with ur career going down the loo... or would u want to move on and make a go of it elsewhere.. getting back to the player u used to be and looking forward to the future?????

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="allways travelling"]Give me earnshaw everytime ashton is overated fat and unfit and plays when he wants to..[/quote]

what a positive influence on his Career Nigel Worthington had eh???

when Ashton first signed he was slimmer, Fit and eager to learn and score goals.... he wanted to play (and win) every week and almost kept us up with some excellent performances...

1 year on after Worthy has treated the lad like a plonker and trained the skill and ability out of him Ashton has become disillusioned and wanbted to move on... would u, if u were Dean Ashton, stay at Norwich city with ur career going down the loo... or would u want to move on and make a go of it elsewhere.. getting back to the player u used to be and looking forward to the future?????

jas :)

[/quote]Ashton to me has never looked like he fitted in from day one.He is definately overated but the new boy earnshaw will always score goals.I think the money we got for him is one hell of a good deal he will in time in my opinion end up on the bench at west ham.I also think with his very big ego he will struggle to come to terms with this.His body language when at norwich when things was not going well never looked very good.I  think he looked a bit of a loner not a players player.I will be watching him closely at west ham to see how wrong or wright i am.

totally different players really so hard to judge!!

however i do think ashton is the better player and the player we need more.  I love earnshaw to bits, he works hard, scores goals, but ashton (when committed) was great target man, scored good goals and has massive potential.  I''m so disappointed we never saw ashton and mckenzie play much this season as i''m sure that woulf have got us promotion.

i would have to choose ashton simple because thorne is awful!!

I''d have fast and exciting Earnie over lumpy, ''strange run'', ''i can''t control a ball very well'' Ashton any day of the week.

England Player - get me off the floor. He will never compete at international level. Not a good enough athlete and probably too selfish.