Sign in to follow this  
Gamera

Could it actually be worse?

OK, recently I posted about how I was angry at a lot of WO''s for being angry even when we won. It mdae me think about the whole season in general and how at that start of the season I said to my dad, "If we don''t even make the playoffs, I''ll be bloody dissapointed". Now our position at the moment. Yes, It''s awful. But could Worthy possibly be doing worse this season. Now I mean realisticly. Realisticly we could have topped this league this season, but I don''t feel we could be much worse than well...where we are. Hence my thinking that any manager could do a better job this season than Worthy has. I''m not really in either camp. WO or KTF. They both have their pros and cons. Would a different manger have us at a higher position this season? Quite possibly...But could a manager have us at a lower position this season...To be honest, I doubt it.

I guess thats my take on things gamera;  clearly the team could have got itself relegated so the situation would have been much much worse but in reality this is a bad as it was ever going to get;  so does that mean the only way is up?  

Sadly not - set a lower bar to clear then what happens if you dont acheive that - we get dragged closer to a relegation battle and then relegation - its not a million miles away but has never really been on the cards this year.

Hopefully we can build on the painfully slowly improving performances and the last two good results (results not performances) and get ourselves towards 7th or 8th by the end of the season in prep for a far better year next time around. 

[quote user="Gamera"]OK, recently I posted about how I was angry at a lot of WO''s for being angry even when we won. It mdae me think about the whole season in general and how at that start of the season I said to my dad, "If we don''t even make the playoffs, I''ll be bloody dissapointed". Now our position at the moment. Yes, It''s awful. But could Worthy possibly be doing worse this season. Now I mean realisticly. Realisticly we could have topped this league this season, but I don''t feel we could be much worse than well...where we are. Hence my thinking that any manager could do a better job this season than Worthy has. I''m not really in either camp. WO or KTF. They both have their pros and cons. Would a different manger have us at a higher position this season? Quite possibly...But could a manager have us at a lower position this season...To be honest, I doubt it.
[/quote]

I agree entirely with you here, I dont think this squad of players could be in a worse position in the league, players like Hucks and Ashton can turen a poor side into a top 6 side (crewe last season).  When looking at Brighton, Derby, Plymouth and Hull they just patently have very poor players for the most part.  Away draws at Plymouth and Hull arent so bad if you are actually winning other games but when you are struggling generally they are poor results - and even worse poor performances.

I dont think we could have made a worse set of signings (poor ability in some cases but also injuries and poor form have meant possible good signings havent worked out)

[quote user="Gamera"]OK, recently I posted about how I was angry at a lot of WO''s for being angry even when we won. It mdae me think about the whole season in general and how at that start of the season I said to my dad, "If we don''t even make the playoffs, I''ll be bloody dissapointed". Now our position at the moment. Yes, It''s awful. But could Worthy possibly be doing worse this season. Now I mean realisticly. Realisticly we could have topped this league this season, but I don''t feel we could be much worse than well...where we are. Hence my thinking that any manager could do a better job this season than Worthy has. I''m not really in either camp. WO or KTF. They both have their pros and cons. Would a different manger have us at a higher position this season? Quite possibly...But could a manager have us at a lower position this season...To be honest, I doubt it.
[/quote]

The answer to your question [ Could it actually be worse ? ]   is YES !  

There are managers out there who couldn`t manage  a kids  tea party in Harrods toy department !   I think our present position  has to be due to a whole collection of events and circumstances , some being due to  flaws in Nigels techniques  ,  but, by and large , its due to things that were beyond his  control ,  injuries , players leaving , Safri taking a month off ,  too many new players  , with too little time to gel as a team ,     players under performing  [ Nigels fault ? ]     evidence of tensions  in the dressing room , the list goes on !     never  say managing a team  is a doddle ...... 

I`ve been against sacking Nigel  ,  because  there`s far too many question marks   about doing so ,   in mid season this could end any chance of a play-off position [ still mathematicaly possible ]   , and could easily  commence  the  manager sacking  merry-go-round  !  a la  Forest  , Leeds  etc ,  Nigels not the best  .... but he aint the worst either !    low-mid table  is well below start of season expectations , but at least its better  than  a relegation battle !

look at derby & leicester etc gamera.   now the prem money has gone, they''re scrabbling around trying to stay afloat.  if we don''t get up within the next 2 years, could we afford to pay the likes of earnie, hucks? probably not.  could worthy take us up next year?

I agree in part sheded - that things could be worse, but the rest is somewhat debateable. A few things, first i applaud your recognition that Worthington has to some degree had poor techniques, but please allow me to address a couple of other points.

1) When was it that Nigel knew about the African Nations Cup - Yes, it was unlucky for Robinson to have been out at the same time, but his injury was made far worse by Nigel playing him. Besides, Robinson hadn''t had time to gel as you put it before Saf went.

2)Players leaving - this season Ashton and Brennan. Brennan sold by worthy, Ashton wanted to go, yes, but why?

3) Evidence of dressing room tensions? Evidence / Caused by who??

4) Too little time to gel as a team - why was this????

5) Too many new players. Again, why was this????

Yes, we could have been in a relegation battle, but i do not see the fact we are not as any saving grace.

YES

* We could have a majority shareholder who doesnt care.

* A chairman like freddy shepperd

*Bryan Hamilton as manager

* Fernando derveld, pape diop, raymond de waard, victor segura and adrian coote making up the backbone of our team.

* and finally worthy could have wasted all the ashton cash

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

YES

* We could have a majority shareholder who doesnt care.

* A chairman like freddy shepperd

*Bryan Hamilton as manager

* Fernando derveld, pape diop, raymond de waard, victor segura and adrian coote making up the backbone of our team.

* and finally worthy could have wasted all the ashton cash

[/quote] Pape Diop was actually a pretty talented player - he just didn''t have the right attitude!

Of course it could be worse - we could be bottom of the table and heading for relegation, no talented players left in the squad and in so much debt we couldn''t stave off the administrators any longer!!! Ok this season has been a big let down and has made me along with most other Canary fans very angry but I think some people are making out the situation is a lot worse than it actually is. If we have a good end to the season and add a couple of quality signings to our squad over the summer, then we will be well placed to challenge for promotion next season!