hogesar

Frank Lampard NEVER OFFERED the job

44 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Didn't even get beyond initial talks and we in reality have no idea if he was our preferred choice or not. If anyone could just chill for a little bit....

I’m back in the Webber club 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Football is different. It's the most dog eat dog environment you'll ever come across. 

At the moment everyone on this site is relying on information from people who haven't got the faintest idea what they're talking about but need to sell copy. 

That is getting closer. 

Webber will have had a very clear idea of the next manager long before the Brentford game. 

Due Diligence very much includes stress testing your own certainties.

You cannot and should not simply appoint your desired target - however sure you are - the process must be undertaken. Surprises occur, things come out of left field and - possibly - something even better than your set up preferred candidate appears for surprising reasons. 

In this way ‘noisy’ Frank Lampard, ‘suddenly available’ Smith both make sense as plausible additions to the Due Diligence process - and quite likely nothing more. 

(Unless Smith was so surprisingly good - and he may well have been- that Plan A is unexpectedly uprooted, to the benefit of the Club of course)

No need to criticise yet. Let the process play out. 

Parma 

Nota Bene: I would even suggest that engaging Lampard in the process has clear mutual PR benefits. 

He looks credible for other jobs.

Webber paints the ‘Norwich are ambitious’ picture. 

This ‘elegant’ exit - if that’s what it is - looks exactly the kind of pre-planned process that occurs in football. 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 4

This is turning into a bit of a shambles. The way Farke was sacked seem to point to a successor already being lined up, clearly this isn't the case and that's p3ss poor from Webber IMO. 

I wasn't keen on Lampard, but was starting to warm to the idea. For him to have met the club and then asked not to be considered, well, only at Norwich. It's concerning. 

If Dean Smith ends up being appointment it shows what a shambles Webber is overseeing. Hopefully, it's another appointment, and that appointment was always number 1 target. But the longer this goes on, the less likely this is to be the case. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No, it doesn’t.  If you have an interview and decide a job isn’t for you, you could perhaps consider you’ve ‘turned them down’ but only in your own head. Not in reality, as unless they followed it up with an offer there was no job for you to turn down.

Exactly, I got offered the job I'm currently in 10 years ago, but 2 days after getting offered it I had an interview for another company, in a higher position. I went for the interview and didn't think it was for me, proceeded to accept the original offer and informed the other company I no longer wished to be considered. Our beloved media would report that as 'Ken Hairy turns down.............', when in effect I'll never know if I would have been given the job in the first place. 

11 minutes ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

I for one am over the moon with this. Don’t care who did what and why, the important thing for me is Fat Frank ain’t coming here and i couldn’t be happier. 

Spot. On.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

That is getting closer. 

Webber will have had a very clear idea of the next manager long before the Brentford game. 

You cannot and should not simply appoint your desired target - however sure you are - the process must be undertaken. Surprises occur, things come out of left field and - possibly - something even better than your set up preferred candidate appears for surprising reasons. 

In this way ‘noisy’ Frank Lampard, ‘suddenly available’ Smith both make sense as plausible additions to the Due Diligence process - and quite likely nothing more. 

(Unless Smith was so surprisingly good - and he may well have been- that Plan A is unexpectedly uprooted, to the benefit of the Club of course)

Parma 

Though I agree with your sentiments Parma, I still find it strange that if Frank wasn’t a top target he would be talked to and as it says Frank didn’t want to take it further. 
Villa sacked Smith and had a primary target identified and appointed, so sometimes the crises club should have a target in mind prior to getting rid of a decent coach. It’s not like we weren’t improving in the last 6 games we picked up 5 points and improved no end! I’m a tad disappointed and don’t think it’s worked out behind the scenes at this club. Just my opinion. It’ll be interesting if the coach who comes in fulfils this better chance of surviving.

48 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

This absolutely reeks of Galway Roast. Is Tom Smith heading up the recruitment?

BK8 too!  It's built on from top to bottom.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

As for Lampard, he's going to end up at Rangers. 

Of course he is. 

Has no ability or bottle for a relegation fight and let's be honest he won't have to do that in a league of 2 teams.

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

Serves him right 

Do you think he’ll get Gilmour in January if he does get the Rangers gig?

Just now, Indy said:

Do you think he’ll get Gilmour in January if he does get the Rangers gig?

With any luck. Then Conte has a bust up with Skipp...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, For the future said:

Probably didn’t offer enough money back to the championship as planned by the board again 

"But Frank...........you had a shedload of the bloody stuff at Derby and yet still f*cked it up! "

Just now, canarydan23 said:

With any luck. Then Conte has a bust up with Skipp...

Can he take McClean as BOGOF?

13 minutes ago, Indy said:

Keep saying it….Robins……

The stand out candidate who’s number 2 is excellent too. Would cost a few quid in compensation so maybe off putting for our board. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Not necessarily, it might leave us with someone we shortlisted who does want the job. If you conduct interviews and have three qualified candidates, and after a conversation, one doesn't like the terms of the role or doesn't think they can hack, it then the process has worked.

You have weeded out one who wouldn't have been suitable.

I don't really like the fresh off failure, not an upgrade mentality. Partially because sometimes a manager just clicks somewhere, you won't know what we have got until they arrives and we play a few games.

Yes - Lambert 'worked' at Norwich (or fell on his feet with Hooly, Holt and Martin) but basically has failed since despite the hype at the time as he moved on! 

56 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

This absolutely reeks of Galway Roast. Is Tom Smith heading up the recruitment?

Can’t rule that out - what if we scour Europe, or even take a post-Brexit so-called ‘global approach’ and discover Adams (again) and possibly talent in Wales.

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

Can he take McClean as BOGOF?

Don't. There is only so much happiness a person can take in a day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

The thinking was that the sacking of Farke, particularly the bizarre and cruel timing of it, was part of a grand plan that would allow an already identified target to get in early doors and have a week with the team prior to Southampton.

It is starting to look a bit of a shambles and we're floundering around whilst a crucial game approaches in 8 days time.

Like I say, we don't really know. Behind the scenes everything might be transpiring exactly as foreseen and if that's the case, I'll tip my cap to a game well-played by Webber and the club.

Players are mainly away on International duty aren’t they… so appointing someone today wouldn’t give much more time than appointing on Monday. Everyone really needs to calm down because all that’s actually happened today is Frank Lampards PR team have put out his version of events. 

59 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Hopefully, it's another appointment, and that appointment was always number 1 target. But the longer this goes on, the less likely this is to be the case. 

With respect, I’m not sure ‘the longer it goes on, the less likely are we to get our number one target’.

We we’re told very early on that any appointment was unlikely before the back end of this weekend. There’s obviously good reason for that, yet here we are on Friday and some people are getting really paranoid because it’s not the end of the week yet?

If our true number 1 target and back room staff are already in work and based abroad as I’ve suspected all along, then that’s a lot to sort out and a very viable reason why we knew it wouldn’t be announced before the end of the weekend or Monday morning. I doubt the club are panicking, and am confident they know exactly what they’re doing. Meeting a few people is wise from our perspective as we don’t want our target to think he solely holds all the aces without competition for obvious reasons - it’s in our interest to be holding the aces in this game of poker.

4 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

It's going to be Smith isn't it.

Tom?

2 hours ago, City 2nd said:

Come on down Russel Martin! 

Then he plays himself at CB in his first game! 🤬

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

How do you know that? How do you know he didn't contact the club and asked to be considered? 

Either way it seems pretty clear that it was Lampard's decision not to take it any further, not ours.

A plausible guess is that Lampard had shown interest but that was before Villa took Gerrard. Once that happened he cooled because only a moron wouldn’t prefer to win most games with rangers as opposed to working on a limited budget with us. A much easier gig and better for the CV - just a guess but it adds up 

4 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

That is getting closer. 

Parma 

Nota Bene: I would even suggest that engaging Lampard in the process has clear mutual PR benefits. 

He looks credible for other jobs.

Webber paints the ‘Norwich are ambitious’ picture. 

This ‘elegant’ exit - if that’s what it is - looks exactly the kind of pre-planned process that occurs in football. 

Do you stick by your original prediction Parma?