Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

If there is no announcement today then starting to worry

Players are back in training today (other than the internationals) and we have no first team coaching staff at all. They need to get on with it and give the new man time to prepare for next weekend. We should have had someone provisionally confirmed before pulling the trigger.

• Like 1

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

PinkUn and Athletic have been saying for a number of days now that the announcement will be made over the weekend or the beginning of next week. Calm down.

But I don't waaaannaaaaa

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

PinkUn and Athletic have been saying for a number of days now that the announcement will be made over the weekend or the beginning of next week. Calm down.

Nope. They said hope to announce by Friday and in any event them saying that doesn’t make it acceptable for it to drag on into next week. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Apparently Tom Smith taking training today and being rushed through his coaching badges.

Let's hope it goes better than the Galway Roast deal. 

On a scale of "oh ****" to "absolute disaster", where do we think Galway Roast and BK8 sit in the scheme of things?!

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Nope. They said hope to announce by Friday and in any event them saying that doesn’t make it acceptable for it to drag on into next week. 

You do know there's no games this weekend right?

I'm the opposite, I'd rather they take time and make sure the man they choose is the right one rather than rush things through. We've got a while before our next match, there's still plenty of time

Doesn't pay to worry, does no good at all. Pointless getting getting stressed about things beyond our control. 

Sometimes these things take a bit longer than planned, that's life. Already been said that Weaver will take training from today if necessary and I expect something to be confirmed over the weekend. 

Chill man.

It's been less than a week. I am personally more than happy for them to take a few extra days to ensure this is the right appointment given how vital it is.

• Like 1

PS From Connor Southwell article posted 8pm yesterday eve: 

City are still hopeful of announcing their next coach by the end of the weekend or the early part of next week, with Steve Weaver set to take the training sessions until a new man is in place.

The way these things work, that would tend to override their previous Friday target (today)

I'm with Jim on this. What was the point in sacking Farke when we did when he could have been supervising coaching this week. The only explanation for doing it when they did, was that someone was already in line to take over. 

It is a wasted week for the players, the foot taken off the pedal for those not on international duty and when all the players are together and a new person in place, it will have been nearly two weeks without direction or focus.

My guess is that they had someone lined up and it didn't work out. A bit of a shambles imo.

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

It moved from 'back end of the week' to 'weekend or beginning of next week' at least a couple of days ago now. 

A day or two slip is hardly anything to panic about. I presume Villa sacking Dean Smith may have meant a slight delay in their timetable as whoever they wanted to speak to might have also wanted to speak to Villa. 

The last bit of appointing a manager is agreeing backroom staff and dealing with compensation. If the rumour is that Lampard wants Joe Edwards from Chelsea then it may be the haggling to get him out of his current Chelsea deal is taking a little while to sort out. Norwich aren't just appointing a head coach, they need his assistant, first team coach and head of performance as well.

If Norwich have agreed everything in principle, then the new head coach can already be getting on with match preparation for Southampton and will be feeding into Steve Weaver anything he wants him to work on. Usually though in training patterns the beginning of the week is general ball work routines and the match prep stuff comes in the last couple of days. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Players are back in training today (other than the internationals) and we have no first team coaching staff at all. They need to get on with it and give the new man time to prepare for next weekend. We should have had someone provisionally confirmed before pulling the trigger.

Stuart Weaver is leading training, he had the pro license. 

25 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

While an overreaction from the OP I do find it interesting we haven’t announced anyone yet and what that means for the decision/negotiation process thats been going on behind closed doors.

Farkes fate was already decided before Brentford, that’s pretty clear. There also seemed to be media rumblings we already had a replacement at least at initial stages lined up last weekend.

Now there’s all sorts of noises about different candidates interviewing, one of which wasn’t even available when we sacked Farke.

Villa have sacked and appointed someone between us doing that. Not saying they are better, just an observation they have been as ruthless and decisive as we looked like we were going to be.

This started off looking like a decisive planned change and now it does feel a little like this maybe wasn’t as well planned and executed as the initial dismissal seemed. 

Sunday at the earliest is what media have been saying.  But then Gerrard announcement was expected in 48 hours and it was about 2 hours later.  As above, there's backroom staff and all number of things to clear up and sign.   We don't even know what country talks have been held in and who needs to travel where, and other commitments such as family etc. 

The "Right person" is not the one who can be at the training ground the quickest.

Edited by Google Bot

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The last bit of appointing a manager is agreeing backroom staff and dealing with compensation. If the rumour is that Lampard wants Joe Edwards from Chelsea then it may be the haggling to get him out of his current Chelsea deal is taking a little while to sort out. Norwich aren't just appointing a head coach, they need his assistant, first team coach and head of performance as well.

Slightly depressed at the thought of this. Was hoping the delay was to find someone worthy of replacing Farke.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Slightly depressed at the thought of this. Was hoping the delay was to find someone worthy of replacing Farke.

You were overly postive on Farke and now your overly negative. Do you have no in-between!? Lampard is more than worthy, he has a better record in the prem then Farke for a start. Farke was dreadful in the prem and not good enough. He is gone move on and get behind the team like you been telling everyone for weeks!!!

7 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Worthy would get the job if Delia had her way. 

7 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

While an overreaction from the OP I do find it interesting we haven’t announced anyone yet and what that means for the decision/negotiation process thats been going on behind closed doors.

Farkes fate was already decided before Brentford, that’s pretty clear. There also seemed to be media rumblings we already had a replacement at least at initial stages lined up last weekend.

Now there’s all sorts of noises about different candidates interviewing, one of which wasn’t even available when we sacked Farke.

Villa have sacked and appointed someone between us doing that. Not saying they are better, just an observation they have been as ruthless and decisive as we looked like we were going to be.

This started off looking like a decisive planned change and now it does feel a little like this maybe wasn’t as well planned and executed as the initial dismissal seemed. 

I think the media were actually making educated guesses last weekend, rather than having any clear information. Norwich have been particularly cagey about the whole manager search and let only minimal details be known when Farke was sacked. 

I think many assumed that Webber would have a man ready to go, but then it was quickly updated that Norwich hadn't had official talks with anyone before Farke was canned.

They used the international break to give themselves some breathing room to not get involved in negotiating someone to come in, while Farke was still in the job. I presume this was to make sure there were no leaks and reports being leaked of Norwich having lined someone up to take over before the Brentford game was played. That game was vitally important and I'm sure Webber wanted to avoid any off the pitch distractions. 

Whether that is the right or wrong move is debatable. While unseemly to have been going to other managers behind your current manager's back, it is also a practical move. However, with no players around to train until today (and I'd imagine today will largely be fitness work as is the norm after a holiday period) it was less necessary to have a man ready to step up immediately. The fact the club announced that Steve Weaver would run training also shows the club were fully aware that they may not have anyone in before the players returned.

44 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Acceptable to who? Just you?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'm with Jim on this. What was the point in sacking Farke when we did when he could have been supervising coaching this week. The only explanation for doing it when they did, was that someone was already in line to take over. 

It is a wasted week for the players, the foot taken off the pedal for those not on international duty and when all the players are together and a new person in place, it will have been nearly two weeks without direction or focus.

My guess is that they had someone lined up and it didn't work out. A bit of a shambles imo.

Particularly on the back of that rarest of creatures, a win. Now all that momentum (lol) is lost in the angst of waiting and wondering whether it will be Flash Harry, the Villain, or someone from under a bridge in Scandinavia. Stupid to sack Farke in the first place imho, and utter insanity to handle it like this. Like you, I guess someone was lined up and it didn't work out, and while that may be for fundamentally honourable reasons (which is great), it's unprofessional not to have had a cast-iron understanding to handle the changeover.

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think the media were actually making educated guesses last weekend, rather than having any clear information. Norwich have been particularly cagey about the whole manager search and let only minimal details be known when Farke was sacked. 

I think many assumed that Webber would have a man ready to go, but then it was quickly updated that Norwich hadn't had official talks with anyone before Farke was canned.

They used the international break to give themselves some breathing room to not get involved in negotiating someone to come in, while Farke was still in the job. I presume this was to make sure there were no leaks and reports being leaked of Norwich having lined someone up to take over before the Brentford game was played. That game was vitally important and I'm sure Webber wanted to avoid any off the pitch distractions. 

Whether that is the right or wrong move is debatable. While unseemly to have been going to other managers behind your current manager's back, it is also a practical move. However, with no players around to train until today (and I'd imagine today will largely be fitness work as is the norm after a holiday period) it was less necessary to have a man ready to step up immediately. The fact the club announced that Steve Weaver would run training also shows the club were fully aware that they may not have anyone in before the players returned.

You are probably right. I suppose we will likely never know the exact timeline, particularly if conversations were had before Brentford, but depending on who is eventually announced its all very intriguing.