Hackney Canary

This is the problem with Lampard…

3 minutes ago, Hackney Canary said:

I mean I’d probably say the Colchester 7-1 was leagues worse, literally, than the current predicament. I also don’t agree that we were going to end up in as bad a spot as you assume. I thought we’d turn it round. I might have been wrong, but we’ll never know. It doesn’t matter: the wider point is that I don’t think the problem is us. I think the problem is the wider system of football. It stinks. And for a few years, there was a possibility that we might succeed within that system without succumbing to it. Maybe that will still happen. Maybe Lampard will be great. I’ll be delighted. And I totally respect your desire to have a go, to act bigger, but for me it comes with a twinge of sadness. I loved the last four years because to seemed to me that we were trying to reject the madness of the Premier League, the money, and all that. Sure, it may have been a false hope, but I liked it. 

You loved the season we came last and the 2 points in 10 games this season... I really didn't to be honest.

15 minutes ago, Hackney Canary said:

I mean I’d probably say the Colchester 7-1 was leagues worse, literally, than the current predicament. I also don’t agree that we were going to end up in as bad a spot as you assume. I thought we’d turn it round. I might have been wrong, but we’ll never know. It doesn’t matter: the wider point is that I don’t think the problem is us. I think the problem is the wider system of football. It stinks. And for a few years, there was a possibility that we might succeed within that system without succumbing to it. Maybe that will still happen. Maybe Lampard will be great. I’ll be delighted. And I totally respect your desire to have a go, to act bigger, but for me it comes with a twinge of sadness. I loved the last four years because to seemed to me that we were trying to reject the madness of the Premier League, the money, and all that. Sure, it may have been a false hope, but I liked it. 

Yes Hackney, but you have resorted to total exaggeration.

You use emotive statements such as:

"If, as looks likely, it is Lampard, it will be an abandonment of our identity, an acceptance that we’ve run out of ideas, ......"

All supporters of every football team talk in those terms.

The Ipswich Way, the West Ham Way etc. etc. Blah, blah, blah.

It's all a  myth.

Even if it wasn't, do you propose that we be stuck with that "identity" forever more, even if the dreaded mid-Chumps mediocrity evolves?

I would call this "small main stand mentality," if so.

Times change, and never more than in the world of professional football.

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 hours ago, Hackney Canary said:

We’ll have to put up with this kind of nonsense all the time.

I mean look at it. It’s the worst kind of emptiness, an utterly meaningless version of football. We’ll become a freak show, a circus, with half a million Chelsea fans from around the world thinking they somehow own us, having an opinion on the exact position Billy Bloody Gilmour should play. Or why - insert name of random identikit expensive teenager - will be an upgrade on Pukki.

If, as looks likely, it is Lampard, it will be an abandonment of our identity, an acceptance that we’ve run out of ideas, that in the end survival trumped the attempt to do things differently, with a distinctiveness and a texture that was Norwich, that had a kind of meaning that exceeded just being a football club

Let’s just rewind and bring Daniel Farke back, so that we can sit around and talk about our topics, our defensive and offensive behaviours, our living room, about the togetherness of the lads, about how winning isn’t everything, and how the name on the front of the shirt is more important than the name on the back. 

Call me unambitious, but I’d rather be relegated than put up with this… 

I wouldn't.

I'd rather have cr4p like the sun spews , fawning over a FL inspired Norwich city, than continue with the pitiful attitude towards us from the media / pundits where we find ourselves now. It is tedious, not welcome and bordering on embarrassing.

Lampard (if it is him) will be 100% determined to prove various people wrong immediately and it is very likely we would get the 'new manager bounce' from him. Possibly enough to get us to January and change a few personnel.

We needed change and as much as I liked DF, it was time to go. Change of coach, possibly more positive from the media and it might just help our cause.

We need new investment as well, that's for sure, but that is another thread discussion.

25 minutes ago, East Rider said:

I wouldn't.

I'd rather have cr4p like the sun spews , fawning over a FL inspired Norwich city, than continue with the pitiful attitude towards us from the media / pundits where we find ourselves now. It is tedious, not welcome and bordering on embarrassing.

Lampard (if it is him) will be 100% determined to prove various people wrong immediately and it is very likely we would get the 'new manager bounce' from him. Possibly enough to get us to January and change a few personnel.

We needed change and as much as I liked DF, it was time to go. Change of coach, possibly more positive from the media and it might just help our cause.

We need new investment as well, that's for sure, but that is another thread discussion.

You might be right. And, myth or not, the idea of the Norwich I believe in has given me a lot of pleasure. It still will. I do wonder, by the way, if this appointment, if it comes, is a recognition from inside the club that they believe investment is necessary, and is the first step on the path to securing it. 

30 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes Hackney, but you have resorted to total exaggeration.

You use emotive statements such as:

"If, as looks likely, it is Lampard, it will be an abandonment of our identity, an acceptance that we’ve run out of ideas, ......"

All supporters of every football team talk in those terms.

The Ipswich Way, the West Ham Way etc. etc. Blah, blah, blah.

It's all a  myth.

Even if it wasn't, do you propose that we be stuck with that "identity" forever more, even if the dreaded mid-Chumps mediocrity evolves?

I would call this "small main stand mentality," if so.

Times change, and never more than in the world of professional football.

Fair point. There might have been a bit of exaggeration. But, I don’t think a club’s way should be a myth, because if it is then everything is effectively the same. That’s not all that interesting to me. 

3 minutes ago, Hackney Canary said:

I do wonder, by the way, if this appointment, if it comes, is a recognition from inside the club that they believe investment is necessary, and is the first step on the path to securing it. 

I had exactly the same thought. 

Honestly the reaction on here is like some of you want us to be ostracised failures when it comes to the top League, like it’s some sort of badge of honour.

5 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Honestly the reaction on here is like some of you want us to be ostracised failures when it comes to the top League, like it’s some sort of badge of honour.

Bizarre isn't it? I've always thought the idea that we have a 'litte old Norwich' mentality was a bit overplayed but I'm rethinking that after this week. It's like a very odd coping mechanism.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SwindonCanary said:

With Lampard in charge, at least the British media will be taking us more serous. 

Why stop there?

"The world will be our lobster, Terry my boy, our lobster."

2 hours ago, Canary Jedi said:

Life’s always better in the Sun 😂

Tbf the Stun and Talksport help to give an insight into the mentality of a certain section of football consumers/followers..

the ‘stars in their eyes’, follow the herd, dials set by mass market product, indigenous geezers R best, instant gratification, shout and scream blue murder crowd. Just have to scrub the your eyes/ears afterwards

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Bizarre isn't it? I've always thought the idea that we have a 'litte old Norwich' mentality was a bit overplayed but I'm rethinking that after this week. It's like a very odd coping mechanism.

I’m glad it’s not just me. We can all debate Lampards CV to death but ultimately it’s pretty inconclusive and not really going to tell us how he’d do as Norwich manager. 

He had a pretty much unmatched playing career,  and his management career has been about playing exciting football, with youth players and also managing big egos. All big ticks for us. Let’s face it if he’d been more successful so far in his management career we’d have zero chance of attracting him, especially where we sit in the table right now.

So therefore a lot of the angst seems to boil down to he’s a big name and he’s not another Farke and people don’t like those things. I find it odd. I’m also struggling to interpret it as anything other than “little old Norwich” mentality and/or sone kind of Farke pining/hangover.

I've been pretty vocal that Lampard isn't anywhere near the top of my list of replacements for Farke and i'm still a little disappointed we've gone this way.

However, the club has regularly spoken about 'ignoring the noise'. I don't see how that changes. Certainly, it's not fair to not look at Lampard as an option just because the media will fawn over it. That's not Lampard's fault.

I understand and agree with posters who don't think Lampard is a tactical upgrade on Farke, and that's a legitimate reason for not hiring him. This isn't a legitimate reason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, graz said:

Like we're going to buy another new goalkeeper 🙄.

The ignorance is astounding. The twerp that 'wrote' this clearly doesnt have the first idea about our club and is quite comfortable with the idea of Norwich existing to be the vanity project of Lampard and Chelsea's extended support.

People who know nothing about us, shouldnt be writing (or talking) about us.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I understand and agree with posters who don't think Lampard is a tactical upgrade on Farke, and that's a legitimate reason for not hiring him.

The idea that some of us don’t have Lampard at the top of our list because we want to stay ‘little old Norwich’ is simply hilarious! 

For me at least, the reason is right there where I’ve quoted you C. Now, you never know he might come here and be brilliant, it’d be damn foolish to say that’s an impossibility. But there are massive question marks there about his tactical abilities based on past evidence that are rightly being debated and not brushed under the carpet. 

Ultimately I want us to get the best coach for what we need - and that is first and foremost one that can give us the best chance to survive this season! If that is Frank then that’s fine by me, but I’m not so sure. So if ignoring the name and getting someone with a more impressive track record is in any way a lack of ambition for Norwich City Football Club then god help me ha ha

I think I'm in the middle on this. I really like the fact that the club has been successful over the last few years by being incredibly smart, identifying players who are underrated by others. In some ways, that's what we did with Daniel, too: we found a brilliant coach that no one had heard of. 

On the face of it, appointing Lampard does seem like an abandonment of that strategy, picking a celebrity coach because we've decided that there's a ceiling to the previous model and it just doesn't work in the Prem. After one win in 11 games, and some really dreadful performances, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think we need to change the strategy.

But, I wonder whether Lampard could also be seen as a continuation of that strategy. If he'd succeeded at Derby and Chelsea we wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of appointing him. The fact that his stock is comparatively low makes him a tempting investment. His playing career was characterized by working phenomenally hard to get the best out of his ability, which is a pretty good quality for a coach and a brilliant example to our young players. 

I'm with @Hackney Canary in that I would not enjoy the circus that would go with his appointment. But that is not his fault personally. If he's willing to get his head down and work to improve our team and squad, I think he could be a real asset to us. And I think there's a way of doing it that allows us to retain the things that have made this club so special over the last few years, but also help us be more competitive.

6 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

But there are massive question marks there about his tactical abilities based on past evidence that are rightly being debated and not brushed under the carpet.

And completely agree with this, too. The biggest question mark over appointing him is what seems like a weakness in organising a defence, which in my view is pretty much the most important part of the job description. I hope that was a very challenging part of his interview.

31 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

The ignorance is astounding. The twerp that 'wrote' this clearly doesnt have the first idea about our club and is quite comfortable with the idea of Norwich existing to be the vanity project of Lampard and Chelsea's extended support.

People who know nothing about us, shouldnt be writing (or talking) about us.

Exactly. Just lazy (and pointless) journalism.