Hackney Canary

This is the problem with Lampard…

We’ll have to put up with this kind of nonsense all the time.

I mean look at it. It’s the worst kind of emptiness, an utterly meaningless version of football. We’ll become a freak show, a circus, with half a million Chelsea fans from around the world thinking they somehow own us, having an opinion on the exact position Billy Bloody Gilmour should play. Or why - insert name of random identikit expensive teenager - will be an upgrade on Pukki.

If, as looks likely, it is Lampard, it will be an abandonment of our identity, an acceptance that we’ve run out of ideas, that in the end survival trumped the attempt to do things differently, with a distinctiveness and a texture that was Norwich, that had a kind of meaning that exceeded just being a football club

Let’s just rewind and bring Daniel Farke back, so that we can sit around and talk about our topics, our defensive and offensive behaviours, our living room, about the togetherness of the lads, about how winning isn’t everything, and how the name on the front of the shirt is more important than the name on the back. 

Call me unambitious, but I’d rather be relegated than put up with this… 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh no! The Sun will write **** about us! This is too much - it's not like they write **** about everyone else all the time, is it?

We've abandoned our identity! I'd much rather get relegated by Christmas and watch the whole squad break up next summer before sinking back into Championship mediocrity! That's far, far preferable to trying to stay in the highest profile league in the world with a high profile manager.

Grow a pair man, for God's sake. Thankfully, the club has, if not some of its fans.

Edited by thebigfeller
  • Like 7

It’s not about growing a pair. It’s about having an understanding of value. This version of football is completely meaningless. It is empty. It contains nothing. We would become like any other football club, part of an amorphous blob, a featureless mass of clubs that look almost exactly the same. If that’s fine by you, that’s fine, but don’t you find it the tiniest bit soul destroying? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hackney Canary said:

It’s not about growing a pair. It’s about having an understanding of value. This version of football is completely meaningless. It is empty. It contains nothing. We would become like any other football club, part of an amorphous blob, a featureless mass of clubs that look almost exactly the same. If that’s fine by you, that’s fine, but don’t you find it the tiniest bit soul destroying? 

Nope.

What I find soul destroying is our endless habit of accepting failure and congratulating ourselves on being 'different' while the rest of the football world patronises us like some cuddly toy and laughs at us behind our backs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Have The Canaries Trust undertaken offence archaeology on any potential new incumbents?  Very important that the new manager carries their moral seal of approval.

17 minutes ago, Hackney Canary said:

What version of football? That sun team has 5 Chelsea players in it, supposedly all on loan. Not going to happen, not least because we aren’t allowed more than 1. What’s to say Lampard hasn’t completely bought into “the project?” It will certainly place less pressure on him to have Webber dealing with the transfers and a greater support network than he no doubt had at Chelsea. 

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

What version of football? That sun team has 5 Chelsea players in it, supposedly all on loan. Not going to happen, not least because we aren’t allowed more than 1. What’s to say Lampard hasn’t completely bought into “the project?” It will certainly place less pressure on him to have Webber dealing with the transfers and a greater support network than he no doubt had at Chelsea. 

Of course, you could be absolutely right. He might have bought into the project - and fair enough if he has. It’s the circus around it that’s grinding my gears a little at the moment. It’s not to my taste I guess. 

31 minutes ago, Hackney Canary said:

So the version of football that Farke has introduced (hoofball) is not meaningless? In case you hadn’t noticed, Farke had a win ratio in the Prem of less than 10%, and his team were rooted (again) to the bottom of the league, so something had to give! Get behind the new manager whomever it will be!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, thebigfeller said:

Nope.

What I find soul destroying is our endless habit of accepting failure and congratulating ourselves on being 'different' while the rest of the football world patronises us like some cuddly toy and laughs at us behind our backs.

It seems a shame that you’re so worried what the world thinks about us. I couldn’t care less if they’re laughing at us. I wouldn’t swap the ride we’ve been on in the last 4.5 years for anything any other club has experienced. And part of the reason it was so special, to me, is that it was done in the manner in which it was done. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

So the version of football that Farke has introduced (hoofball) is not meaningless? In case you hadn’t noticed, Farke had a win ratio in the Prem of less than 10%, and his team were rooted (again) to the bottom of the league, so something had to give! Get behind the new manager whomever it will be!

Oh, I’ll get behind him 100%. I just won’t take as much pleasure in it. 

4 minutes ago, Hackney Canary said:

Oh, I’ll get behind him 100%. I just won’t take as much pleasure in it. 

Hasn’t been much pleasure this season or 2 seasons ago.

That is a galling article.  It is not franks fault, but his involvement is the cause.  If he comes in he would need to show it is about NCFC’s best interests not Chelsea light, he seems a shrewd guy so let’s hope it is just newspaper rumours.

41 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

That is a galling article.  It is not franks fault, but his involvement is the cause.  If he comes in he would need to show it is about NCFC’s best interests not Chelsea light, he seems a shrewd guy so let’s hope it is just newspaper rumours.

41 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

You’re right. It’s not his fault. But the hoopla is going to be something else…                  

Like we're going to buy another new goalkeeper 🙄.

Edited by graz
Typo

2 hours ago, Hackney Canary said:

We’ll have to put up with this kind of nonsense all the time.

I mean look at it. It’s the worst kind of emptiness, an utterly meaningless version of football. We’ll become a freak show, a circus, with half a million Chelsea fans from around the world thinking they somehow own us, having an opinion on the exact position Billy Bloody Gilmour should play. Or why - insert name of random identikit expensive teenager - will be an upgrade on Pukki.

If, as looks likely, it is Lampard, it will be an abandonment of our identity, an acceptance that we’ve run out of ideas, that in the end survival trumped the attempt to do things differently, with a distinctiveness and a texture that was Norwich, that had a kind of meaning that exceeded just being a football club

Let’s just rewind and bring Daniel Farke back, so that we can sit around and talk about our topics, our defensive and offensive behaviours, our living room, about the togetherness of the lads, about how winning isn’t everything, and how the name on the front of the shirt is more important than the name on the back. 

Call me unambitious, but I’d rather be relegated than put up with this… 

Hackney, I'm still convinced it won't be Lampard. Until he's announced later today that is. 

The call has gone out from Webber. 

5twb3h.jpg

2 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

Hackney, I'm still convinced it won't be Lampard. Until he's announced later today that is. 

The call has gone out from Webber. 

5twb3h.jpg

I mean there’s a little part of me that thinks this, or something like it, might happen. We live, like the Princess here, in hope! 

What exaggerated tones the OP uses. Full of hyperbole and hackneyed nonsense from beginning to end. Same old simple, superficial shi-te.

Right now I think I'd prefer to be Frank Lampard's Norwich City than Delia Smith's Little Old Norwich. 

We have surely seen worse times in the past, but never before has the club suffered from the humiliation of the last few months. We have been hit from all sides. Furthermore, we have become ridiculed from all quarters. A Premier League joke destined to become the worst side ever to grace that position. The stupid has even suggested we be banned from that league, or at least the whole system should be changed.

Let's have a change of profile for once. Lampard is no fool, he talks well and knows the game at the highest level. Chelsea would never have made such an appointment during a tricky time for them  on the basis of getting in a high profile old boy. They just don't need that sort of thing. Credit Lampard with more than just that. He has the full quota+ of coaching badges for a start and has experience and connections within the game unheard of for a City manager. He is clearly a much fuller package than the OP's diatribe suggested. Webber will have worked this out without needing to resort to the superficial, or even consulting the Sun newspaper.

Credit too Webber for considering the full picture of the now and the required rather than what the club has done in the past.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hackney Canary said:

It seems a shame that you’re so worried what the world thinks about us.

You started a thread because you're saying you don't like the potential circus that would come with Lampard, isn't that the definition of worrying what the world thinks of us?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The worst thing about Frank Lampard is having uncle Harry taking it upon himself to make his excuses for him, he's already talking down Norwich's chances to minimise expectations. Frank would need to tell old Harry to sit down and shut up.

53 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Who cares?

who reads the news, it’s pointless

Non-Football....any quote from red-tops and Grauniad

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

You started a thread because you're saying you don't like the potential circus that would come with Lampard, isn't that the definition of worrying what the world thinks of us?

It’s actually the complete opposite. It’s worrying what I think of us. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hackney Canary said:

It’s actually the complete opposite. It’s worrying what I think of us. 

Oh, my good god! NCFC appoint a high-profile manager for once, rather than unknown. How awful!

We should know our place.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

We have surely seen worse times in the past, but never before has the club suffered from the humiliation of the last few months. We have been hit from all sides. Furthermore, we have become ridiculed from all quarters. A Premier League joke destined to become the worst side ever to grace that position. The stupid has even suggested we be banned from that league, or at least the whole system should be changed.

I mean I’d probably say the Colchester 7-1 was leagues worse, literally, than the current predicament. I also don’t agree that we were going to end up in as bad a spot as you assume. I thought we’d turn it round. I might have been wrong, but we’ll never know. It doesn’t matter: the wider point is that I don’t think the problem is us. I think the problem is the wider system of football. It stinks. And for a few years, there was a possibility that we might succeed within that system without succumbing to it. Maybe that will still happen. Maybe Lampard will be great. I’ll be delighted. And I totally respect your desire to have a go, to act bigger, but for me it comes with a twinge of sadness. I loved the last four years because to seemed to me that we were trying to reject the madness of the Premier League, the money, and all that. Sure, it may have been a false hope, but I liked it.