Sign in to follow this  
TheBaldOne66

Why not have an open mind?

All those slating the imminent appointment of Lampard, if indeed it is him, what the hell is the problem with him?

Its immaterial what he’s done previously, this club is different to every other or so we are told!

How many were underwhelmed by the appointment of Farke, and we know what he went on to achieve don’t we!

Surely, whoever comes in should be backed by every supporter irrespective of their previous jobs!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Once he has, or if he becomes our main man then he will get 100% support from me. 

• Like 3

I’m actually pretty optimistic. I think he’ll demand we play 100% rather than the wishy washy way we’ve played recently.

I think some of the negative reaction is based on when he was a player, anti-Chelsea sentiments maybe? The flouncey reaction to his record being poor is totally unfounded I think, doesn’t bear out. I think a lot of fans wanted some “I saw him on Eurosport” random Europe guy, it’s unusual.

Ok, let's all keep an open mind. I'll still have my usual rant if we line up with 3 in midfield, but I'm happy to remain balanced in my opinion, judging things on face value rather than my preconceptions.

But let's have it both ways. All you Frampard lovers need to be open to the possibility that this is an awful appointment for our club.

Farke amassed 5 points in his final 5 games. Let's see how many Frank can conjure up in his first 5 before celebrating too hard. 

I agree, I don't quite understand the negativity, maybe its some sort of weird fear of having somebody that people have actually heard of. This is to me a good statement of intent, a "we mean business" appointment. The club could easily have bailed out and gone for a young no name, another Alex Neil type moment.

Lampard has EPL and Champions League managerial experience (but those who wanted that seemed to then decry the usual suspects and people like Dean Smith), he is young & hungry (needs this to work), well respected, probably one of the best contacts books in the EPL, has worked with some of the best managers around, brought through some young players at Chelsea, knows  Billy G so can hopefully turn him into the Euro marauder we saw in July, and his teams played good football. I'm not really sure what some people expect.

We have replaced a much loved manager with one of the highest profile names in English football, a star of his generation. 

Seems to me he ticks more boxes right now than almost anyone else so as to minimise the risk.

In addition, the profile we will get with FL is something to look forward to, personally assuming it is confirmed I find it exciting.

• Like 2

As one of the 'moaners', I think a lot of our negative feeling is because this appointment seems to go against everything that the 'self-funded' philosophy stood for.

Imagine this guy was just a normal Joe with his managerial record to date: would he even have been considered? This is a glory hunter's appointment, a pathetic chasing after a famous name in order to prove that we are a serious club, (or, more likely, to protect Webber's reputation).

All that crap about we were different, we wanted to break the mould, we searched the world for undiscovered gems. And we end up buying the football version of a Big Mac.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Ok, let's all keep an open mind. I'll still have my usual rant if we line up with 3 in midfield, but I'm happy to remain balanced in my opinion, judging things on face value rather than my preconceptions.

But let's have it both ways. All you Frampard lovers need to be open to the possibility that this is an awful appointment for our club.

Farke amassed 5 points in his final 5 games. Let's see how many Frank can conjure up in his first 5 before celebrating too hard. 

Why does there have to be 2 sides all the time? Ridiculous, grow up.

im just optimistic, I don’t have any data yet to make an assessment.

5 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

As one of the 'moaners', I think a lot of our negative feeling is because this appointment seems to go against everything that the 'self-funded' philosophy stood for.

Self funded philosophy relies on players and managers using us as a stepping stone while we utilise their time here to improve and grow I'm afraid, we want people on the way up - not down.

His strengths lay in developing young players, huge midfield experience, of which we are over-burdened with players in that area.

So how does this not fit in with that philosophy exactly?  You don't 'have' to appoint only underdogs in the self funded model.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Why does there have to be 2 sides all the time? Ridiculous, grow up.

im just optimistic, I don’t have any data yet to make an assessment.

Ok, the alternative is that I go with my gut and write him off before he puts out his first team selection. I don't like this type of celebrity appointment and don't see what he has to offer us. I'd love to be wrong but I feel like the Webberlution is well and truly dead.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Imagine this guy was just a normal Joe with his managerial record to date: would he even have been considered? This is a glory hunter's appointment, a pathetic chasing after a famous name in order to prove that we are a serious club, (or, more likely, to protect Webber's reputation).

All that crap about we were different, we wanted to break the mould, we searched the world for undiscovered gems. And we end up buying the football version of a Big Mac.

Exactly. Poor little Webber has been used to having his ego massaged throughout his young career. Now people are starting to question him he's missing the compliments and it's got to him. Appointing Lampard will get the media fawning over him again. I'm beginning to worry he's a pathological narcissist.

14 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Sick of hearing this self funded bs. Little old nice Norwich syndrome. 

5 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

But appointing Lampard because he's a big name *is* little old nice Norwich syndrome. Take us seriously please TalkSport!

• Like 1

Everyone is allowed an opinion and he wouldn't be my choice, doesn't mean I won't support and back him if he does become our man though

10 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Couldn’t agree more. There’s a reason why no other team in the premiership is self funding. I DOESN'T FÛCK WORK! You can sustain a premier league team that way. We’re living proof. Is a Spin and Bołlocks!

Edited by Hardhouse44

Happily take Lampard out of those mentioned, not keen on Smith.

Hopefully Lampard might keep us up and might help to attract a change in ownership…..let’s keep an open mind 😉💛💚

Although he isn't guaranteed to be a success, Lampard has more going for him compared to the others. I am discounting Smith.

Lampard is British, arguably the greatest EPL player of all time, has coached in the EPL and Championship, hasn't got to up sticks dramatically and will have great contacts.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

I'll still have my usual rant if we line up with 3 in midfield,

Rant? What rant?? Can’t say I’ve ever noticed 😁 Now.. anyone for a big fat slice of 4231 for supper?! 

• Haha 1

One of the key factors might be the backroom staff Lampard brings with him. That could be Jody Morris or...

"According to a recent report from journalist Simon Phillips, Lampard’s impending appointment could see Chelsea’s assistant coach, Joe Edwards, follow suit. Lampard and Edwards have worked together before".

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2021/11/11/chelsea-set-to-lose-key-backroom-staff-member/

2 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Couldn’t agree more. There’s a reason why no other team in the premiership is self funding. I DOESN'T FÛCK WORK! You can sustain a premier league team that way. We’re living proof. Is a Spin and Bołlocks!

There's loads of other self funding clubs out there. We're just the most successful amongst them. It's not like it's a choice, we just happen to have never been bought by a billionaire.

If you want to support a billionaire owned team then you'll either need to find a billionaire looking for a football club to buy or (likely easier) find another billionaire owned football club to support.

Good luck!

It's not so much about having an open mind, we're discussing who we as supporters would ideally like in the role and giving our personal opinions and views as to why.

Whoever is appointed will get my full support, and I expect the same would be true of any genuine supporter of our club, but that doesn't mean I can't state why I'd prefer option A over option B or option C, because until that appointment is made, we're free to debate amongst ourselves the relative merits of all possibilities.

I'd much rather we were looking at seeing if Favre is a possibility than any other name that's been mentioned, but that doesn't mean that if we end up bringing in Lampard, Smith or whoever that I won't get behind my club and hope for the best.

I'm very much a data/logic guy over emotion, and based on past records, Favre is so far ahead of everyone else it's not funny, and it's also why I'm not overly impressed by any of Lampard, Smith or Knutsen for that matter. It doesn't mean I'm right (or wrong for that matter), but the whole point of a discussion board is to actually discuss things...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

All those slating the imminent appointment of Lampard, if indeed it is him, what the hell is the problem with him?

Its immaterial what he’s done previously, this club is different to every other or so we are told!

How many were underwhelmed by the appointment of Farke, and we know what he went on to achieve don’t we!

Surely, whoever comes in should be backed by every supporter irrespective of their previous jobs!

Farke was a championship appointment, where we sat mid-table. A low risk appointment. I would have no problem with appointing a Knutsen in those circumstances.

This is totally different. There is a very specific brief - achieve what no manager has done before - save a team with this number of points at this stage. That has to be a proven manager.

If the brief is not 'avoid relegation at all costs' and extends to get promoted agan next season, why sack Farke at all?

4 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Exactly. Poor little Webber has been used to having his ego massaged throughout his young career. Now people are starting to question him he's missing the compliments and it's got to him. Appointing Lampard will get the media fawning over him again. I'm beginning to worry he's a pathological narcissist.

Anywhere up to 100% of CEO's are psychopaths. It's what makes them successful. Why would Webber be any different?