Sjb

It's Lampard!

8 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Honestly the reaction on here is startling. The guy isn't even in the door yet and people are talking like they know exactly how it would play out. 

Name me a perfect candidate. Go on. I'll wait.

KK -> No experience outside Norway. Even as a player
FL -> Experience at Chelsea and Derby had some good points and some bad points. 
DS -> Uninspired performance with AV despite spending hundreds of millions 

FL would take us a different route to DF. I think we would see a more organised team unit rather than a reliance on individual performances as I think Farke did. I think he would continue to improve young players. 

He would need to impress me on his defensive organisation, which he struggled with at Derby and Chelsea. His team selection at Chelsea was also worrying. He definitely had his favourites and stuck by them even when it was clearly not working out.

It's a bold move if true, as evidenced by the reaction on here. Would it have been my choice? No. But it's not the worst choice we could make.   

Not one single candidate would please this forum. Not one. Whoever it was.

And it's been thus since time immemorial.

All we can do is to support and hope. The one thing that stands out is that the more well known appointments have not tended to be successful (Bond did ok) and vice versa. Can Lampard reverse that?

• Like 1

I think the important question is who is coming in with him.
He will need an Assistant and whatever Chris Domogalla was "Head of Performance" - but some sort of coach.
The Head Coach and the Assistant can make of break a manager.
Look at Lambert when he moved and his assistant went his own way, ended up flushing his career all the way to ipswich.

I wonder if he'll be able to choose his assistant or whether Webber has that in hand, maybe begging a more experienced out of work Manager to help out for a clash of styles and a learning experience...

42 minutes ago, kdncfc said:

Really can't understand the reaction of some on here, have some of you ever considered Lampard may have learnt from his time at Derby and Chelsea and be a better manager because of his experiences?

I loved Farke as much as anyone but sadly his record at PL level was dreadful, he'd have been sacked long ago at most if not all PL clubs.

Good luck Frank - hope it works out for you.

Absolutely this! It's about what he can do in the future, not what he did, or failed to do, in the past.

Everybody looks at a player coming in and quite rightly assesses their potential for the future. Well the same is true of a manager surely? He's had a couple of jobs to cut his teeth on. There's every chance he will have learnt from those experiences and will make a better fist of his next job because of that.

We are looking for someone who is ready to make the next step in their career and I'm sure Webber will be looking for Lampard to step up to the plate. Let's be honest, Lampard will be desperate to succeed.

He has my support for one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

He doesn’t have on. He can throw the stub of his 1 game this season!

Indeed 

To be more precise his Burnley one lol.

I wonder if he will tell us we have to be negative towards the club, rather than his ‘ we must show our undying love and support whatever happens ‘. Will he be telling me to boo now lol

2 hours ago, NR32-Yellow said:

I'll cheer on Frank Lampard just as much as i have cheered on any other Norwich manager but I'll be very underwhelmed if this is true.

He was a fantastic footballer but his managerial record is nothing but average in my opinion.

He took over at Derby who finsihed 6th the season before.
He then spent over £12M on transfers, on players like Martyn Waghorn, Jack Marriott and Florian Jozefzoon.
All of them left the club on a free transfer this summer, a complete waste of money.
He also got Mason Mount, Fikayo Timori and Harry Wilson on loan. Three top players irrespective of age at the time.
Where did he guide them to in the league......6th position.
No improvement on the previous management despite having better tools to work with. 

He then got the Chelsea position.
Chelsea had a transfer ban so they couldn't sign any players (Luckily no money wasted) and managed to qualify for the Champions in his first season, fair play Lampard.
He then spent over £200M on Chilwell, Havertz, Ziyech and Werner. You could argue that's even more money he has wasted as in my opinion only 3 of them have regularly played in the starting line up (Chilwell, Werner and Havertz). From them 3 Werner has been nothing short of a let down.
He then got the sack that after 19 games whilst they were in 9th place.
Tuchel then took over the same set of players and won the Champions League!

Lampard hasn't actually improved a clubs league standing yet in his managerial career.

If he didn't have such a fantastic playing career i don't believe he would get a Premier League opportunity based off of his manergerial record.

I will be singing his name as loud as the next man but i cant help but feel underwhelmed.
I would of preferred to of kept Farke.

Please prove me wrong Frank.

So he comes to a club where he won't be signing players and that was his best season at Chelsea.

Good appointment.

PS How many great managers started slowly? Or indeed got sacked before using that experience to get better?

7 minutes ago, Andy G said:

He will need an Assistant and whatever Chris Domogalla was "Head of Performance" - but some sort of coach.
Look at Lambert when he moved and his assistant went his own way, ended up flushing his career all the way to ipswich.

I wonder if he'll be able to choose his assistant or whether Webber has that in hand, maybe begging a more experienced out of work Manager to help out for a clash of styles and a learning experience...

And Smith when Terry left Villa.

In fact hold onto your hats, Lampard has just moved from 1/33 to 1/2, with Smith getting backed heavily, now 2/1 in some places.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Farke................Lampard...................Farke...........Lampard...........Farke...........Lampard....

Nope, can't see where the improvement is there.  I'll get behind it, but a distinct "meh" is all I can feel at the moment.

Ted Lasso Afc Richmond GIF - Ted Lasso AFC Richmond Believe - Discover &  Share GIFs

• Haha 1

Despite not being first choice for most of us we as the fans have all got to get behind Lampard and support him. Just because we’ve signed someone who sounds like a bad option doesn’t mean they will turn out as a bad option. Look at Lambert - did great for us, how’s he done since he’s moved on though? When Pukki was signed as a free agent I saw people moaning on here saying things like “we don’t want a Celtic reject”. Who on here wishes we’d never signed him now?

Personally I think Lampard’s too inexperienced to manage at PL level yet but we’ll see. After all, no one is guaranteed to turn out the same as they did before when they move on

What fun if someone on here had leaked a fake FL story to Toolstation as reward for their gobsh*te undermining our club this season. Any takers?

2 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I think I'd have rather we let Farke have another game or two to see if the Brentford result was the start of a genuine change (probably not but it would've been good to know), I assumed the reason we had sacked him was because we had someone become available who might not be in another week or two. Lampard clearly was going to be continue to be available! 

That said, I did like Lampard under Chelsea - just not sure he is anywhere near as diligent or detailed in his coaching as Farke would've been - although that diligence only transposed to competent premier league performances a handful of times. 

Will get right behind him but its all a bit 'meh' for me. Smacks a little of desperation from Webber IMO.

Sums up my view exactly. If it is him I won't be that pleased, but I'll happily say "give him some time, he'll have to get his way grained in somewhat" and try to treat him in judgement the same way I have with Farke.

Just now, Cowboy said:

As far as continuity of ethos goes, this has the appearance of a shambles.

You mean the ethos that left us with a near record low points total, 15 game losing streak in the Premier League and credible suggestion from all sorts of directions of this being the worst premier league side in history?

If so I'm quite happy to be breaking away from the continuity of that ethos. 

4 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

You mean the ethos that left us with a near record low points total, 15 game losing streak in the Premier League and credible suggestion from all sorts of directions of this being the worst premier league side in history?

If so I'm quite happy to be breaking away from the continuity of that ethos. 

But without outside investment, what choice is there? The danger of collapse next season is what concerns me more than anything.

1 hour ago, Andy G said:

Supposedly trying to get Joe Edward’s who is a highly rated Chelsea coach. 

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

This from you is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Mr PinkUn Meltdown himself. Imagine lacking self-awareness to this extent. Staggering.

Can I ask why you hate him so much? Seems a bit bizarre. 

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s happened, we’ve agreed

somebody take a f@&£ing picture, quickly!

its pathetic isn’t it

Even more pathetic that he hadn't even waited for confirmation from the club before having his complete meltdown, what a wet wipe.

10 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Can I ask why you hate him so much? Seems a bit bizarre. 

Teemu? I don't hate him, just pity him a bit.

Lampard is an entitled, arrogant, silver-spoon fed ****. He was a garbage human to the mother of his first kids, mocked Americans within 24 hours of the world trade center and there are no shortage of people who frequented the west end for nights out during his West Ham and early Chelsea days who will tell you what an odious little scrotbag he is in person. He's the David Cameron of football. A total and utter ****.

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

I think it much more simple than this. The blame for our predicament at the bottom of the table was spread around owners - for not having enough money, Webber - for poor quality recruitment and selling Buendia, and Farke - for poor on-pitch performance. By sacking Farke, Webber puts all the blame on his coach who then gets all the attention and Webber gets none. It was a political stab in the back from a ruthless operator, who apparently has a new deal that is about to be announced at the AGM.

Et tu Stu...

1 hour ago, crispeduk said:

What fun if someone on here had leaked a fake FL story to Toolstation as reward for their gobsh*te undermining our club this season. Any takers?

"So...I was speaking to the Talk Sport receptionist and told her that I had some insider information about the Norwich City appointment. I was put straight through to the chief editor and said "It's about Dean Smith. He interviewed really well. Delia especially loved his honesty". It just took me just 10 minutes......On the afternoon show they broke up the programme to announce that Dean Smith was a leading contender. Then, 15 minutes later I got a call from Talk Sport thanking me and telling me I was to be put on their priority football rumours insider list.................which was nice"

Screenshot 2021-11-11 6.29.35 PM.png

Edited by sonyc
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

This from you is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Mr PinkUn Meltdown himself. Imagine lacking self-awareness to this extent. Staggering.

You haven't even waited for confirmation from the club before having your complete meltdown, it's f*cking embarrassing mate, admit it. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You haven't even waited for confirmation from the club before having your complete meltdown, it's f*cking embarrassing mate, admit it. 

I think we better stop now before you have an actual meltdown. You know, the type where you get all teary and come blarring into my DMs pleading with me to leave you alone.

2 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

image.png.c2fba17614cc5b0800486519b77c1d0b.png

Posted it on another thread but thought it should be shared here too, just looking at their Premier League records. 

Surprised at the number of games Frank was in charge in comparison to some of the other names

2 hours ago, Duncan's Knee said:

I totally agree with you that at Championship level there is no better manager than Farke. And being realistic that no gallant knight is going to come in and save us, I would have preferred to have stuck with him. But the inevitable would have happened - relegation - bossed the Championship - promoted - back to the start of the vicious circle. As much as I love this club, I always feel that we will be little ol' Norwich used by lower league, lesser known managers that 'talk the talk' as a stepping stone and a breeding ground for young talent.

If they had binned Farke for Lampard then he would already be holding the shirt. I feel they were hoping for someone else, maybe Knutsen. Maybe Favre. Are we really that big a club to find someone who can once and for all cut the damned yo-yo string!

You cant sack a manager in the 'hope' of a better candidate.

As I've said before, if you have any sense you find out if your mistress is up for it before you leave your wife and kids.

29 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I think we better stop now before you have an actual meltdown. You know, the type where you get all teary and come blarring into my DMs pleading with me to leave you alone.

I'll stop, but if it's not Lampard I'll bump your tantrum one more time to rub a bit of salt into the wound.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'll stop, but if it's not Lampard I'll bump your tantrum one more time to rub a bit of salt into the wound.

If it's not Lampard, there won't be a wound to rub any salt into.

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I think he would continue to improve young players. 

He would need to impress me on his defensive organisation, which he struggled with at Derby and Chelsea. His team selection at Chelsea was also worrying. He definitely had his favourites and stuck by them even when it was clearly not working out.

Im sorry, I thought you were trying to make a point that Lampard would be different to Farke?

2 hours ago, Andy G said:

Someone who has worked with the Soccerbot before would be good

2 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

Absolutely this! It's about what he can do in the future, not what he did, or failed to do, in the past.

Everybody looks at a player coming in and quite rightly assesses their potential for the future. Well the same is true of a manager surely? He's had a couple of jobs to cut his teeth on. There's every chance he will have learnt from those experiences and will make a better fist of his next job because of that.

We are looking for someone who is ready to make the next step in their career and I'm sure Webber will be looking for Lampard to step up to the plate. Let's be honest, Lampard will be desperate to succeed.

He has my support for one. 

What if he has no potential? Why do you assume he will get better? What if he is just not a very good manager? There is no reason at all to believe he will get better. People are blinded by the fact they were a good player.

Frank could prove to be a top manager, or he might fail with us and decide management isnt for him - plenty of examples of that.

Just because he is young, walked into two high profile jobs off the back of his playing career, doesnt mean he is on an upward trajectory.

Farke won two championship titles. Lampard has achieved diddly squat so far.

For the situation we are in it is absolute madness to take a total punt on this guy in the hope that he'll get better. I really thought the board had a better plan than this. Didnt they say the candidate was an experienced manager? We needed a manager with some kind of proven track record like Roy Hodgson. We've got Paul Dalglish.