Sign in to follow this  

I've been wondering about this myself. In all the smoke and mirrors about Lampard and KK, is it possible that the club have been letting that chat run in order to provide cover to negotiations with Favre? I've no idea, but it feels very Stuart Webber. And I think, if Webber is as rated in the world as we are told he is, he could do a good job of selling the club - from what I know about Favre, he's a football man in the modern sense, interested in projects. And, apart from Dortmund, the clubs he''s managed are in and around our level. 

For what it's worth, I don't think it's going to be Lampard - Redkanpp's interview the other day seemed to me to say a lot by omission. And I don't think it will be KK - I like the idea of him, but truthfully know next to nothing about him and can't in any case see him abandoning his ship a month before the end of the season with a title to be won, and if he did is he the kind of manager we want? Dean Smith is surely going to be exhausted - can''t see him coming straight into another job, and he was sacked after Farke; if Webber had his man in his sights before sacking Farke, it won't be Dean Smith. 

I clearly have no idea, but I'd love it to be Favre. I'm beginning to think that it won't be any of them however. The way time is ticking by is making me a little nervous. Although I understand that Jake Humphrey is (still) excited, which suggest it will probably be Ron Dennis.  

Edited by Hackney Canary

16 minutes ago, RugbyCanary said:

Fairytails happen. I'm clinging to it

Fairy tales happen. I’m less sure about fairytails.

Yours pedantically 😘

Just now, Nuff Said said:

Fairy tales happen. I’m less sure about fairytails.

Yours pedantically 😘

I thought fairy tails were the things hanging above fairy bums. People don't believe they exist,, but they do happen. So the OP could be right. 🤭

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Are we really that unfashionable? Maybe in this country, but not abroad necessarily.

It's not just unfashionable, it's also the inherently uncompetitive bit on the basis of an unworkable model, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

The question is - were they back then? They had a lot of older players, and a lot of players on expiring contracts. Vieira's done pretty well to get a tune out of so many disparate signings pretty quickly. A fair chunk of that current squad wasn't in place back in the time when negotiations with Favre were ongoing.

Agree that the London location will certainly be an attraction, but then again, Bielsa fancied Yorkshire pudding. Favre's also got form for joining teams at the bottom and keeping them up, his start at Mönchengladbach being an example.

On the flip side the chance to rebuild the squad may actually have appealed to some managers- not being stuck with the previous guys overpaid and aging players can easily be spun as a positive.

Sadly, I don't think we'll get Favre. If he's ready to go back into football, he may be waiting for OGS to get sacked at MU. With his CV, Fabre must have a good chance of that job.

Just now, canarybubbles said:

Sadly, I don't think we'll get Favre. If he's ready to go back into football, he may be waiting for OGS to get sacked at MU. With his CV, Fabre must have a good chance of that job.

Nah, Man U will be desperate for a big name, I can't see them going for someone who like Favre. 

Favre sounds a bit like Farke, and that’s good enough for me, sign him up!

Edited by Danke bitte
****e speller

1 hour ago, Hackney Canary said:

I thought fairy tails were the things hanging above fairy bums. People don't believe they exist,, but they do happen. So the OP could be right. 🤭

Things you never expected to see discussed on the PinkUn.

• Haha 1

#1 choice for me too. I actually think he's the only one mentioned that would get 99% fan approval. 

Make it happen Webber. 

It would be an impressive coup by Webber, it just seems an improbable appointment to me.  What would be in it for Favre.

On 11/11/2021 at 09:33, Indy_Bones said:

Also interesting to note that in the past he's signed two of our existing players - Lees Melou and Rupp!

Admittedly, Rupp was only at BMG for 6 months before being loaned out to Paderborn, but even so it's a somewhat intruiging bit of history.

In regards to us being a step down from Dortmund, of course that's true, but then so would 99% of other clubs in the modern game outside of the consistent Champions League sides. But we are in the best league in the world, using the DoF format he knows and understands, will clearly give him time that bigger sides may not offer, and we've heavily invested into the facilities and youth development (including the new soccer bot) which will certainly resonate.

Is it too much of a stretch? Who knows, but we should at least be asking the question rather than automatically assuming it's a non-starter.

Interesting point, and I admire your optimism/aspiration but we really are not in the best league in the world - best paid league in the world, yes.

But if 'best' league in the world has something to do with the quality of the football then that's definitely not the PL.

5 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Interesting point, and I admire your optimism/aspiration but we really are not in the best league in the world - best paid league in the world, yes.

But if 'best' league in the world has something to do with the quality of the football then that's definitely not the PL.

I respect your opinion regarding the football being played, but by most standards, the PL is regarded as not just the richest, but the best and most prestigious league in world football.

According the UEFA we have the top league by co-efficient:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-europa-league/story/4373377/premier-league-ranked-no-1-league-in-europe-by-uefaovertaking-la-liga

Point being, that the PL is a draw for almost ANY manager, and whilst we can debate the merits and internal competitiveness of differing leagues, most managers would rather take a job in the PL than in a more 'balanced' league and most would likely rather opt to go to teams lower down in the PL than teams in other countries in a similar position in their own respective leagues.

Edited by Indy_Bones

5 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I respect your opinion regarding the football being played, but by most standards, the PL is regarded as not just the richest, but the best and most prestigious league in world football.

According the UEFA we have the top league by co-efficient:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-europa-league/story/4373377/premier-league-ranked-no-1-league-in-europe-by-uefaovertaking-la-liga

Point being, that the PL is a draw for almost ANY manager, and whilst we can debate the merits and internal competitiveness of differing leagues, most managers would rather take a job in the PL than in a more 'balanced' league and most would likely rather opt to go to teams lower down in the PL than teams in other countries in a similar position in their own respective leagues.

Fair enough but I think I've become cynical enough to feel that the 'best' and most prestigious tags tend to follow the 'best paid', especially as it isn't just the players who are the best paid, its the managers, the pundits, presumably the backroom staff, so its in all their interests to help the TV companies in marketing the PL - it is also the best marketed league in the world.

But either way, the PL is a clearly a draw for managers and although it may be a bit of a stretch I don't see why we shouldn't be trying to bring Favre in - but unless Webber is doing a fantastic job of keeping his masterplan under the radar that doesn't look like its happening.