Sign in to follow this  

Interesting to note Lucien Favre was all lined up and ready to join Crystal Palace in April, but backed out at the last minute, deciding he needed a bit more time to  recharge his batteries.......six months ought to have done that, so it could be the right man at the right time - has that Dortmund connection too......

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Who do you want the most lakey?

Well the premise for sacking Farke was to get someone in to save this season, so it needs to be someone who has good experience at making an impact straight away at a club - Favre has that in spades, so has to be first choice imo. Longer term, Robins would be my choice, but for now, Favre has to be the man.

• Like 2

My preferred choice, I think.

But he's 64, I'm not sure he will have recharged the batteries enough for a relegation battle in the toughest league in the world.

I don't think he will come here sadly.

Bearing in mind that I've wanted Favre here all the way back from the days of Chris Hughton, you're not going to find me disagreeing with you on this one LDC.

Head and shoulders above any other candidate, vastly experienced with an outstanding record, who not only plays good football, but develops youth players and can work under tighter budgets.

Complete no-brainer IMHO, of course the key stumbling block is if he's interested, but if so, I wouldn't even bother interviewing anyone else!

I would be over the moon. Which given my track record would mean he would somehow conspire to forget how to manage a football team.

Generally though, he is an excellent manager, but I would suggest it's a bridge too far for us unfortunately.

He's my first choice as well. How he got that Hertha Berlin team up in the top end of the Bundesliga....

Surely he could be hunting for jobs in the tiers above us… I mean, Dortmund to Norwich is quite a regression and not really one he would need to make with many admirers. Would certainly be quite the statement, though just can’t see him taking it to be honest.

Very few out there have the required the right kind of experience for our situation and I don't think Webber would have sacked Farke if he didn't have someone of good stature and the right kind of cv to come in.  I'm convinced it will be Favre.

Also interesting to note that in the past he's signed two of our existing players - Lees Melou and Rupp!

Admittedly, Rupp was only at BMG for 6 months before being loaned out to Paderborn, but even so it's a somewhat intruiging bit of history.

In regards to us being a step down from Dortmund, of course that's true, but then so would 99% of other clubs in the modern game outside of the consistent Champions League sides. But we are in the best league in the world, using the DoF format he knows and understands, will clearly give him time that bigger sides may not offer, and we've heavily invested into the facilities and youth development (including the new soccer bot) which will certainly resonate.

Is it too much of a stretch? Who knows, but we should at least be asking the question rather than automatically assuming it's a non-starter.

• Like 1

He'd definitely be my preference but I can't see it happening. If he turns us down, chances are he'll have better options later in the season if he is keen to get back into it.

But either of him, Knutsen or Robins I'd be delighted with. Smith would be underwhelming and Lampard would be infuriating.

22 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Surely he could be hunting for jobs in the tiers above us… I mean, Dortmund to Norwich is quite a regression and not really one he would need to make with many admirers. Would certainly be quite the statement, though just can’t see him taking it to be honest.

He was on the verge of signing for Palace a few months ago, are they so much more attractive a proposition?  With Farke at Norwich and doing so well and raising our profile on the continent, plus Webber's connections with Dortmund and the fact that Favre might be ready for a new challenge, it does add up quite favourably - and we are not complete paupers any more.

Edited by lake district canary

For someone like this the Norwich job might be filed under unnecessary risk (stressful season in a mission against the odds with unfashionable cash-strapped bottom club, predictably ending in anticlimactic failure) for unnecessary reward (as above, ending with improbable & miraculous PL survival but adding little or nothing to his CV/bank balance/trophy list).

Would be great for us but not the obvious choice for someone with a winning/high-achieving mentality 

Edited by GenerationA47

39 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Well, Bielsa ended up at Leeds when they were in the Championship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy_Bones said:

Head and shoulders above any other candidate, vastly experienced with an outstanding record, who not only plays good football, but develops youth players and can work under tighter budgets.

Has a history of walking out mid-season if things aren't going right for him though, he may not be suitable for this challenge, as great as he is and would love to see a man of that calibre join us.

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, Bielsa ended up at Leeds when they were in the Championship.

It may seem obvious that with them, rich club etc the only way was up (or at worst sideways), with enough of a challenge to ‘interest’ a tactician. Perhaps the opposite of Norwich in November 2021

3 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

For someone like this the Norwich job might be filed under unnecessary risk (stressful season in a mission against the odds with unfashionable cash-strapped bottom club, predictably ending in anticlimactic failure) for unnecessary reward (as above, ending with improbable & miraculous PL survival but adding little or nothing to his CV/bank balance/trophy list).

Would be great for us but not the obvious choice for someone with a winning/high-achieving mentality 

Are we really that unfashionable? Maybe in this country, but not abroad necessarily. We have a good reputation for doing things a bit more holistically than the average british club - and a club that attracted a manager from Dortmund once before, which Favre, although having left there, will be well aware of.  And is he the kind of manager that worries about his bank balance? Doesn't seem like it.

If he is up for a new footballing challenge, rather than just joining a club with lots of money to spend, then it could well be a good fit for all parties.

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Are we really that unfashionable? Maybe in this country, but not abroad necessarily. We have a good reputation for doing things a bit more holistically than the average british club - and a club that attracted a manager from Dortmund once before, which Favre, although having left there, will be well aware of.  And is he the kind of manager that worries about his bank balance? Doesn't seem like it.

If he is up for a new footballing challenge, rather than just joining a club with lots of money to spend, then it could well be a good fit for all parties.

Keen to see what you have in mind in regard to that. If large numbers of football people abroad know us, you’d have to assume that at most they know we do things on the cheap, otherwise that we are not very successful at the top level & have a flamboyant kit.

Not sure how much airtime Norwich’s heartwarming story of academy emphasis, strong corporate mission, family friendliness etc gets in the Swiss sporting community or press, and if it does whether that makes any difference to anyone at the sharp end.

Not being deliberately obtuse or negative here. Just going by what little I know of the matter

Edited by GenerationA47

19 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

It may seem obvious that with them, rich club etc the only way was up (or at worst sideways), with enough of a challenge to ‘interest’ a tactician. Perhaps the opposite of Norwich in November 2021

Think there's enough of a challenge with us, especially with the apparent calibre of some of our new signings. And let's face it, it's almost a free hit. Go down, and it's expected. Stay up - instant reputation boost.

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Think there's enough of a challenge with us, especially with the apparent calibre of some of our new signings. And let's face it, it's almost a free hit. Go down, and it's expected. Stay up - instant reputation boost.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m saying there’s rather more than enough of a challenge with us 😆

For a talented, up-and-coming lower league M Robins/D Farke type wanting to hit the next level, or previously moderately successful Lampard type who’s, desperate  a chance to prove themselves, it could possibly come into free hit territory . For anyone above that I’d  say it’s in the realms of the hospital pass 

8 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Keen to see what you have in mind in regard to that. If large numbers of football people abroad know us, you’d have to assume that at most they know we do things on the cheap, otherwise that we are not very successful at the top level & have a flamboyant kit.

Not sure how much airtime Norwich’s heartwarming story of academy emphasis, strong corporate mission, family friendliness etc gets in the Swiss sporting community or press, and if it does whether that makes any difference to anyone at the sharp end.

We don't do things "on the cheap" as such, we just live within our means, which is something many people can relate to and I think we are higher profile abroad as a result of the last four years under Farke. Also, anyone that does a tiny bit of research will see how we have developed in the last five years, will appreciate Webber as a Sporting Director and how our club is set up ideally for a continental style head coach. In fact, we are far more in tune with continental style run clubs than most British ones.

43 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

For someone like this the Norwich job might be filed under unnecessary risk (stressful season in a mission against the odds with unfashionable cash-strapped bottom club, predictably ending in anticlimactic failure) 

On the other hand, he could decide that one dodgy season won't make him unemployable considering he has such a strong CV.

A young manager might consider it a possible career ender.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

We don't do things "on the cheap" as such, we just live within our means, which is something many people can relate to and I think we are higher profile abroad as a result of the last four years under Farke. 

I mean, if you want to talk about having a high profile abroad.... staying in the Prem is the best way to achieve that, its the most watched league in the world. Farke wouldn't have kept us up. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

He was on the verge of signing for Palace a few months ago, are they so much more attractive a proposition?  With Farke at Norwich and doing so well and raising our profile on the continent, plus Webber's connections with Dortmund and the fact that Favre might be ready for a new challenge, it does add up quite favourably - and we are not complete paupers any more.

You’ve got yellow and green glasses on, I don’t think Palace are a big club, but in terms of current squad and money to play with, coupled with being in London puts them firmly ahead of us right now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, birchfest said:

You’ve got yellow and green glasses on, I don’t think Palace are a big club, but in terms of current squad and money to play with, coupled with being in London puts them firmly ahead of us right now.

The question is - were they back then? They had a lot of older players, and a lot of players on expiring contracts. Vieira's done pretty well to get a tune out of so many disparate signings pretty quickly. A fair chunk of that current squad wasn't in place back in the time when negotiations with Favre were ongoing.

Agree that the London location will certainly be an attraction, but then again, Bielsa fancied Yorkshire pudding. Favre's also got form for joining teams at the bottom and keeping them up, his start at Mönchengladbach being an example.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

On the other hand, he could decide that one dodgy season won't make him unemployable considering he has such a strong CV.

A young manager might consider it a possible career ender.

Maybe but unlikely.. he has nothing to prove at division 1/2  yo-yo club level, the fact things went downhill and he was sacked from a demanding, top Bundesliga side doesn’t tarnish his previous record to the extent a predictable relegation albeit with  a relative pauper club would. 

True there’s a potential fairytale opportunity for the right person at the right time. Someone mentioned Bielsa’s Leeds move & things like that do happen. But as exceptions rather than the rule. 
Just don’t think we have the short/long term finances or points on board for it to happen to us right now, unfortunately.