1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I agree with your criticisms to be fair CM, but I still think a better coach could get much more from these players. Sadly it may be too much to keep us up, but I expect us to become much more competitive than we have been with Webber's next appointment. If that doesn't prove the case then you will certainly be right - all will be told by the end of the season! 

We're only five points from safety with 3/4 of the season to go. Leaving it too late to change is definitely not an excuse that's going to work if it fails. 

Whoever comes in inherits a squad with good morale on the back of the first win of the season and four winnable games coming up. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

47 minutes ago, king canary said:

He was also played regularly for Boro in the top flight at a level which got an England call up.

Thanks for that, my memory clearly isn't quite as good as it used to be! 🙄

49 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

We're only five points from safety with 3/4 of the season to go. Leaving it too late to change is definitely not an excuse that's going to work if it fails. 

Whoever comes in inherits a squad with good morale on the back of the first win of the season and four winnable games coming up. 

I'd say that's a very glass half full assessment of what the new coach takes over.

On the flip side the new coach is taking over the team who've scored the least goals, conceded the most goals with their best attacking player likely contemplating a move having been demoted to the under 23's for the last few weeks. Yes we won last week but even that was a performance in which we had to ride our luck at times to hold out for the win. 

34 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes we won last week but even that was a performance in which we had to ride our luck at times to hold out for the win.

Isn't that going to be true for any game we play at this level, with our resources? 

38 minutes ago, king canary said:

On the flip side the new coach is taking over the team who've scored the least goals, conceded the most goals with their best attacking player likely contemplating a move having been demoted to the under 23's for the last few weeks.

People can latch on to all sorts of things, but looking too far into the past is not helpful - that is why the form guide is there - because it tells a story of what is more relevant. As for Cantwell, if it wasn't a mental health issue, its about time he sorted himself out.

57 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd say that's a very glass half full assessment of what the new coach takes over.

On the flip side the new coach is taking over the team who've scored the least goals, conceded the most goals with their best attacking player likely contemplating a move having been demoted to the under 23's for the last few weeks. Yes we won last week but even that was a performance in which we had to ride our luck at times to hold out for the win. 

If the premise for Daniel Farke's sacking is that the disappointments of this season are all down to Daniel Farke's inability as a premier league manager, then that's a completely fair assessment of what is at his disposal. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

17 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Isn't that going to be true for any game we play at this level, with our resources? 

Our resources put us amongst plenty of the teams in and around us - like Watford, Southampton and Burnley. 

And last time in the PL we did more than enough to justify our wins against Leicester, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Everton and even Man City. I'd say we probably won more comfortably in all of those games than we did against Brentford last week in the end - even including Man City!

Other games where we did enough in our performances to justify 3 points included Wolves at home, Arsenal at home, Spurs at home and away, Palace at home, Newcastle away, Aston Villa away. 

So yes, we can definitely compete at this level without having to ride our luck, we just need to actually play well which we haven't done in 20+ PL games! If you think we are only capable of backs-to-the-wall smash-and-grab type performances to win games (even games against our promotion rivals from last year) then you must have a very low opinion of this team!

I have to admit I was a big supporter of Farke and often laughed at for my support. I also thought he was not sackable due to his coaching credentials, however I have to say that changed over the last few games, when it became clear Farke’s tactics were clearly not going to keep us up. The flowing football gets us through the Championship but in the EPL you need to be big, physical and quick or one of the best in the world. They are 2 different leagues, in one we were head and shoulders above everyone, in the other the opposite. As we build an EPL team the only way to bridge these differences is organisation and tactics. Even as a big Farke supporter I found myself asking was this squad good enough to win the Championship, in my opinion it would have destroyed it. So question 2 should this squad be good enough to stay up and carry on building again next year. My answer again based on our number of internationals and previous champions league players is yes. So what is stopping us staying up ? Surely tactics and organisation. I wavered after Chelsea, but then Leeds convinced me ( no other team in the epl would have thrown that away once we equalised ) it was our organisation.

From that point I became undecided. A new manager may or may not be able to keep us in the EPL, but they would have more chance than Farke. I believe the op should have watched more games this year before saying Farke was the answer, just like he also thought Vancic, Idah, Zimmerman and Sorensen were needed to keep us up.

As sad as I was about Farke going, this move does make sense and I look forward to seeing what the new manager can do. I can also tell the op I have been to all but one of our games this year and unlike his picture of the fans I have given 100% support to the team. I guess now should we lose to Southampton the op will be preaching to us about how we should never have sacked Farke and we are going down because of it, instead of his usual ‘ things will be better next week ‘. 
I will be giving my total support to whoever the manager is, all you have done op is what you have been going on at others all season about, saying our club are making mistakes, o well.

21 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Man was with us 5 years 

Well 4 and a half, but regardless he achieved more than enough in those first 4 years to be given more time this season than 10 games, is what I was saying. 

1 minute ago, Gibbo said:

Well 4 and a half, but regardless he achieved more than enough in those first 4 years to be given more time this season than 10 games, is what I was saying. 

You never heard of rounding up 😉 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gibbo said:

He'd done more than enough to be given more time.  I did think we had changed as a club to look at the big picture, but it seems we've jumped on the short term bandwagon with all the other prem teams now.

I did wonder if this change of emphasis suggests Webber is ready to move on at the end of his contract: if he moves on when we're relegated and he hasn't made a change then he's probably open to more criticism for not having tried to make a change, whereas if he changes and we still go down he can point to have tried to turn things around. 

13 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I did wonder if this change of emphasis suggests Webber is ready to move on at the end of his contract

NBC said it was already agreed that he was staying, don't know how true it is though or slip of the tongue:

Perhaps it's one of those stories that the media have over here but are waiting to wrap it in with formal announcement/manage unveiling?

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

NBC said it was already agreed that he was staying, don't know how true it is though or slip of the tongue:

Perhaps it's one of those stories that the media have over here but are waiting to wrap it in with formal announcement/manage unveiling?

I'd expect them to have their facts straight, and that's good news if so.