Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Was this the moment Farke lost his job?

Brutal Josh Sargent Miss Vs Brighton Shows Lack Of Confidence

Dont know which picture shows it worse?

Josh puts that away, it's 1-0 at half time. Positive half-time team talk, we know they didnt score in the remainng 45 minutes but of course the match would be different.

That 'win' would come after unlucky results against Leicester and Arsenal, with VAR going against us both times, a disappointing game against Everton, but one which Everton could have drawn on another day and then a stopping of the rot against Burnley - a good point in my opinion. 

Who is to say that with renewed confidence and the monkey off our back that the Chelsea result wouldnt have been so humiliating, the Leeds game therefore less pressured and with confidence higher who is to say Krul might not have made that error.

Lots of ifs and buts, but I wonder if that was the single 'Sliding Doors' moment for Farke's future?

Shades of RvW's penalty to follow-up on his goalscoring debut that never was.

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Josh puts that away, it's 1-0 at half time. Positive half-time team talk, we know they didnt score in the remainng 45 minutes but of course the match would be different.

That 'win' would come after unlucky results against Leicester and Arsenal, with VAR going against us both times, a disappointing game against Everton, but one which Everton could have drawn on another day and then a stopping of the rot against Burnley - a good point in my opinion. 

Who is to say that with renewed confidence and the monkey off our back that the Chelsea result wouldnt have been so humiliating, the Leeds game therefore less pressured and with confidence higher who is to say Krul might not have made that error.

Lots of ifs and buts, but I wonder if that was the single 'Sliding Doors' moment for Farke's future?

It would have been even worse if it was his left foot. He's never used his left peg yet 🥅🎯😱

21 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

image.jpeg.df1bafbfc0c5c3a604c2ee25aeb1c8ae.jpeg.....Josh is the Rabbit.....

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

After the Chelsea defeat ,Webber challenged Farke and the team to show a reaction in a 'must win' game vs Leeds

Farke lost his job when he submitted a teamsheet containing no left back vs Raphina

Be fair, he did make up for it by having two on the pitch at the end of the Brentford game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Kabak doing his Chubby Checker impression 25 yards out shortly after Omo's equaliser was probably the final nail in the coffin.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

After the Chelsea defeat ,Webber challenged Farke and the team to show a reaction in a 'must win' game vs Leeds

Farke lost his job when he submitted a teamsheet containing no left back vs Raphina

Although Omobamidele did pretty damn well there, to be fair. Needed a physical presence as Rafinha is a fair presence himself. Williams is too small, and Giannoulis is more a speedster than a powerhouse.

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Not Webber’s then for bringing him in ?????

I think he lost a lot of us after that catastrophic performance at Chelsea. The final straw was Leeds and that baffling team selection.

Lots of great moments though and they'll live long in the memory rather than the negatives. 

Day 1. Recruitment completed to late + whatever system used to draw up the fixture list was probably the issue. He obviously played his part, but we couldn't afford to slouch into the season half-c0cked with poorly drilled players. Killed confidence in 'our' way of playing, then the scrappy pragmatic draws meant the new guys had no clue what the system was and probably still don't. By Chelsea the fan had stopped turning and the p00 had collected in a pile. A victim of circumstance and a recruitment gamble that hadn't paid off. 

11 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Spot on.

But who hired Webber? So it must be their fault. But who sold them their shares so they were able to hire Webber? Must be their fault. Rinse and repeat.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, king canary said:

But who hired Webber? So it must be their fault. But who sold them their shares so they were able to hire Webber? Must be their fault. Rinse and repeat.

The buck stops at the top and as far as the football side of the business is concerned Webber is the top man.

12 hours ago, Heading South said:

Not Webber’s then for bringing him in ?????

Sargent is capable of scoring that goal, shockingly. Otherwise his record would show he's never scored a goal in his entire career. Not scoring that goal wasn't because the signing "wasn't good enough", its laughable to say otherwise.

Sargent didn't lose Farke his job, but yes he should have scored. Farke's dismissal is a combination of things, mainly losing poorly to Watford, getting absolutely embarrassingly crushed by Chelsea and then losing a must-win against Leeds. At the end of the day, the draw against Brighton wasn't a bad result, they've been in a good patch of form but it was just another thing against him. Sometimes, you don't get the run of the green and as a manager you're only as good as your last match.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

The buck stops at the top and as far as the football side of the business is concerned Webber is the top man.

OK great so Webber gets all the credit for the promotions too?

That miss could actually save us.... Reason I say this, If we had won this game we would have been given the false belief that 352 was working and the way forward (which it is not) if we had won this game may of given him more time, as I said I think we have gone about it the wrong way after a win, but getting rid of Farke was absolutely the right thing to do. He had excuses first year in the prem, but this year he has none and we have been worse then we were the first time under him! 

Edited by Jsim1986

I agree that if one has to pick one moment it was probably the kabak/krul affair having just got back into the Leeds game. If there was one opportunity to bounce back and show a sign that there was hope, that game was it. As Adrian Durham said, Leeds were awful, but still beat us. Hope that DF could do it finally died for me after that.

I imagine it was a mixture of different things.Clearly not knowing what players to play, the seemingly ever changing formation, Webber bringing in two wingers one a record transfer and then Farke not using wingers (And not bothering to start the other record transfer) his treatmet of Gilmour, the issues with Cantwell, the loss to Watford and Leeds, Farke telling his players prior to Chelsea that they had no chance of winning it anyway..

List goes on.

There was clearly no one moment that cost him his job. There were 49 games managed as this level and only 6 wins. That, combined with his inability to get the players to play with any conviction is what did it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

The endless long balls punted up field by Krul and Hanley in the Leeds game was probably the final straw for Webber. Sure he didn't sanction over £50m in transfers for that.

• Like 1

Farke lost his job when the fixtures were announced. Liverpool, Manchester City, Leicester and Arsenal were the first four games. No points were picked up (unluckily against Leicester and Arsenal) and confidence was at its lowest.

Meanwhile other teams started with far better fixtures (Brighton - Burnley, Watford, Everton, Brentford) and their confidence was high.

In the first ten games we played seven teams from the top half of the table and we are the only team to have played all of the 'big three', Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea.

Lack of confidence and a reasonable run of fixtures have proved deadly.

Edited by Yellow Wal
Clarity.
  • Like 1