Sign in to follow this  
Jezzard

McLean v Brentford

Not necessarily being critical; I know that (defensive) midfielders’ work often goes unnoticed and keeping the shape is important…but after 80 minutes or so I really had to think whether he was on the pitch or if I’d read the line-up incorrectly. The commentary didn’t mention him. Was I just not concentrating enough,  or did he have a match where he never had the ball for more than one second? On watching the highlights I notice he ‘assisted’ Normann’s assist for the penalty but didn’t note this at the time.

Edited by Jezzard
Typo

I honestly think you could have posted the same comments after nearly every game this season! Been the invisible man in virtually every game. His selection each week has been my main concern Re Farke.

• Like 2

One moment in the game I was screaming at him as left his man unmarked and allowed them to run past unchallenged into our penalty box. No effort or attempt made in tracking back. Only when it was too late did he make any effort. Really poor play on his behalf. Not what you expect at this level when your scrapping for every point.

I think going forward he has a real battle in his hands to retain his place in the starting line up. Can see it being Norman, Gilmour, Les Melou.

The issue I have is he’s susceptible to giving the ball away and does it at least once or twice in very dangerous areas in the game causing us real problems.He does have the odd game where he plays really well but not consistent enough….Niasmith like player who is really out his depth at this level shown in both premiership seasons.

32 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Given its been clear that Farke had a bias for him I feel his time here may be coming to an end once the new boss comes in

Rangers in January for a million or two? 

I thought the McLean hate might stop since he is no longer keeping Vrancic or Leitner out of the team. 

The 'new' man (or woman these days) will run the rule over the whole squad with fresh unbiased eyes.

Maybe  a few shocks there for many.

• Like 1

We must also remember how good he was in the Championship too. Sadly this season he is not the same player. A move could be a good thing for him. 

Not my favourite either, technical ability fails him when he loses concentration….. last 10 mins v Leeds, 1-2 down, Normann picked up the ball from our defence and where was Kenny as an option?   Nowhere.   Twice he was behind our defenders, obviously knackered!     

One of Daniels faults of course, didn’t recognise who were in need of replacing.   

Mclean is another one of those players that's good enough for the champs but not quite PL level, let's not forget he had some very good performances last season (much as I personally don't rate him that well), but like players such as Stipermann, at the top he simply doesn't have the skill-set, and as we've already seen in Normann, he does everything McLean does and better.

Time for the Rangers move I think, but we still have to respect the contributions he has made to the club in the process.

It's an odd time to criticise Kenny when he actually had one of his better games. Not that he did anything particularly of note, just that he formed a fairly decent partnership with Normann in midfield and (on the whole) maintained better positional discipline than we've seen recently. Yes, he had one or two lapses, but by simply standing in vaguely the right place more of the time he was able to prevent Brentford from passing through us so easily.

22 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Will be a sad day for Hoggy if he leaves. I can see the tears dripping  into his morning cornflakes as he logs on in here. 

He never logs off.....not even when goes to drop a log....

I think the comments are fair. Its quite easy to say, he does a look of unseen work. Yes he might not have the ability of Normann to pass but he has to bring something else instead. In the Championship, it is easier for him to move box to box. In the EPL, he is out of his depth against so many teams. Not his fault, but he is like a few in the squad who have found it harder.

Midfield is the main part of any team, apart from Liverpool who have a unique style, and we just do not have enough good players in that position. Yes Kenny can sit and try and cover but we need more than that. We need games where our midfield dominates.