Sign in to follow this  
Jimbo1

Feeling like a broken hearted teenager - is it just me?

41 minutes ago, Jimbo1 said:

I’m pretty sure everyone is aware that the decision to sack Farke was a roll of the dice in an attempt to avoid relegation. 

That doesn’t mean people can’t speculate over what the future may hold. 

We’re all obviously hoping the next manager is a massive success, but I can’t help but think we may end up regretting it. 

I don't particularly see it that way. I'm sure they hope we can stay up but realistically I suspect Webber is looking for a head coach who will be better attuned to keeping us in the Premier League if and when we get back there. I am sure Villa's sacking of Smith is just that kind of a roll of the dice but it's not in our case.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not like we've got any players on the cusp of a testimonial is it. 

Did Wes ever get one in the end?

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

4.5 years is a long time in a job in football.

If people get triggered by people getting sacked or not having contracts extended, then completely the wrong industry to have an interest in 😂

Darren Huckerby was only a Norwich player for 5 years. Things move on, personnel change, Farke will be remembered fondly, he'll get another job, that's life. 

So you weren’t sad and/or annoyed to see Huckerby leave?

If events at the club you supposedly support  doesn’t trigger any form of emotional response (positive or negative) then I’d question whether you’re even really interested at all...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimbo1 said:

If events at the club you supposedly support  doesn’t trigger any form of emotional response (positive or negative) then I’d question whether you’re even really interested at all...

Also remember that the only reason Huckerby left was some total tawt of a so-called manager. When you think of some of the people we have had in the manager’s chair in the past, losing Farke seems criminal.

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He had to share it with Russell Martin, who shouldn't have been entitled to one! 

And a wonderful occasion it was. Straight after the title celebrations.

1 minute ago, Jimbo1 said:

Actually I was primarily annoyed that he was denied the chance to do a proper goodbye at Carrow Road, a bitter Glenn Roeder and a spineless Neil Doncaster were to blame for that.

It was sad to see Darren Huckerby leave. I felt sad after the Leeds game realising that Farke's time had run out, but still wanted him to be sacked. 

Its not really practical when its a manager to do a goodbye when sacked mid-season. Its very different when a player is out of contract, so they aren't really comparable situations. 

I felt sorry for Farke having to face the humiliation of the post-match interviews and the long journey home, at the same time I understand why sacking him before the game would have ruined our preparations and some players would have lost focus (and subsequently the game).

Its about pragmatism Jimbo. I was sad when Paul Lambert left, but it all worked out ok. 

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

And a wonderful occasion it was. Straight after the title celebrations.

I can't remember much of it, I was drunker than some of the players. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Feels at the moment that there are some posters who would rather be in the Championship with Farke next season than be in the Premier League with an English manager,

Bizarre mentality. The way we break the cycle of having to sell our best players is to stay up, Farke wasn't going to deliver that.

Maybe, maybe not. However his record of  delivering players to sell from the youth system was second to none.

18 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I can't help but feel this is one of those pivotal moments which will see us return to our natural position in the overall pecking order of English football. We've been punching so far above our weight that people have grown greedy. It's taken something special to get us to this point and I fear we are throwing it all away based on a deluded notion that we are better than we actually are.

This^^^ The issue is that we want to stay in the PL and DF wasn't delivering - but given our resources, can anyone??  Yes, we could have been puching above our weight and anyone coming in now has a huge task. Keep us in the PL - or take us down and bring us back again. Now that is some task and I would far rather have had Farke in place to do that and given him this season to learn more about the PL under normal condidtions (the covid PL was so unusual that nothing imo - including losing those last 10 games - should be used as ammuniton to run him down).

So we may well have thrown away the one person that was capable of keeping us competitive to even get us to the PL in the first place and we may be seeing downward turn from here.  I don't think anyone could complain about DF's achievements in getting is to the PL and it WAS special.  Anyone who says different is in denial.  Even in championship terms we have been relative paupers in the money stakes, yet two seasons under Farke, we won it. That pedigree will be hard to match and there would be a strong belief we could do it again under DF

Obviously there have been difficulties behind the scenes we don't know about. The way some players are not being played - but then the nunaces of that depend on who you listen to or what you want to believe,  but like it or not the head coach is in charge and if you fall foul of him, it's up to you to sort yourself out......or that is how it should be and how Farke has dealt with it.

It's a big gamble imo, get the next appointment wrong and we face difficult times in the championship. I hope it works out, but itls a huge ask. It's only ten games since a record season. Eleven actually - and that last one evidenced that Farkeball still had some miles in it. 

Holy smoke, its a difficult one, but I hope Webber lives up to his status and pulls a rabbit out of the hat. The next manager has a huge act to follow - and as Hughton found out, it ain't easy to follow in the footsteps of a legend.

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Maybe, maybe not. However his record of  delivering players to sell from the youth system was second to none.

I don't think it makes much sense to credit 1 person with that.

We got £23m for the Murphy twins who won the FA Youth Cup with Neil Adams. 

Maddison and Godfrey were signed for £5m by McNally.

And David McNally and Ricky Martin pushed for Category 1 status and recruited Gregg Broughton who in turn brought Max Aarons and Jamal Lewis with him.

The current board and Webber get credit for further investing in facilities at Colney, and Farke some credit for polishing up some great young players, but we could have a Category 3 status academy right now with no chance of signing talented 14 year olds if previous individuals had not taken the academy seriously. We're seeing the dividends now of foundations which were laid almost a decade ago.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

It's not just you.

While I was a vocal critic of Farke's tactics this season, I am absolutely gutted about his dismissal. You can have an argument with you wife without wanting a divorce; won't someone think of the children?

It seems to me more a failure of Webber's than Farke's. If your head coach isn't delivering the results then you need to support them in turning things round, find out what's going wrong and intervene if necessary. Two years ago Webber famously admitted sending Farke to war without a gun; this year he stripped him of his AK47 and gave him a bunch of BB guns.

I'd love to be completely wrong, but I simply can't imagine any coach in the world being able to keep this squad in the Premier League. And there isn't a name on the table which would encourage me to think that this is a sensible move. Farke was our best shot at winning the Championship next year.

I can't help but feel this is one of those pivotal moments which will see us return to our natural position in the overall pecking order of English football. We've been punching so far above our weight that people have grown greedy. It's taken something special to get us to this point and I fear we are throwing it all away based on a deluded notion that we are better than we actually are.

Well this is a 'little old Norwich' mentality if ever there was one.

Keeping hold of a manager who will take us down because he might be able to get us back up?!?

We're in the Premier League NOW...shouldnt we be doing what we can to stay there?

I don't believe its either Farke or nobody. There could well just be someone out there that will give us a better chance of staying up.

Besides which, I'm not sure if Farke would be the guarantee to take us back up a third time.

That would have been after another relegation (possibly with another miserable points total)..presumably some more players sold off, i.e. Aarons and you'd have to question whether he would have had the motivation to have gone again with another championship slog.

Having then got relegated twice , next time I think I'd want a manager who would be not only capable of taking us up but to then keep us up,which he would have proved twice that he couldnt.

11 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Obviously. However, I don't think that attempt will be successful. 

Evidently, it isn't.

It depends. If it was a Steve Bruce / Hughton / Pulis pragmatic / defensive style that kept us in the Premier league, 100% I'd rather be in the Championship with Farkeball than watching that. I ultimately want to be entertained. If we stay up attempting to play progressive football, then I'll take the "different" manager (why in your message do you say "English"? Why the distinction? I don't understand why "English" is in any way relevant?)

Here we go again. Another fan who would rather be in the Championship.

Like I've said many times, the ultimate villains at Norwich City are the fans. They get a board that doesn't work at EPL level and they get football that doesn't work at EPL level.

If you want to play expansive football at this level then you need those very talented and expensive players to make it work. It can't be done on the cheap with a transfer ceiling of £8 million and wage cap of 40K.

It beggars belief that Norwich are still flogging a striker who they got for nothing more than 3 years' ago. Talk about taking the michaels!!

i do Feel a little like this a Broken hearted Teenager

but i also feel just like back then i am going to Ritzy's and Hy's and i know at least a couple of New Girls fancy me so Excited as well

in short life goes on and excited to get a new manager in with fresh ideas