Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

When Chase sacked Stringer...

3 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Harry Serruys, he and Ken Brown were friends, think they bought the old Colmans sports ground (and former Norfolk County Cricket ground) at Lakenham together and rebranded it Lakenham Leisure.........

A ground with a great history, with some of the greatest players in the game appearing there, and they ruined it and in effect ended its cricketing life.

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

That was his name. Thanks SOB. I was inside the Andrews for that EGM. There were loads outside too, chanting against Chase. I remember Lakenham Leisure now too.

You are welcome. The Serruys family are still in business in the City, I assume it is the son of Harry that owns the the old Predros restaurant in Chaplefield Gardens.........

10 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

A ground with a great history, with some of the greatest players in the game appearing there, and they ruined it and in effect ended its cricketing life.

Very true. My parents live in a house that backs onto the old Cricket Ground, they have been there since 1966 and I grew up in that area. My Dad worked at Colmans for many years, played for Carrow FC and later managed them, I have had the privilege of playing on the main footy pitch there ( only the once), arguably the best playing surface in Norfolk with the exception of Carrow Rd. The beautiful thatched Colman House was lost to a devastating fire (my Dad called the fire brigade) and the old thatched cricket pavilion has been demolished to make way for houses. It is sad to see so much history destroyed and lost forever. There is a crappy little statue within the housing development that really does not do justice to  the history of the place. We had the West Indies playing the minor Counties there in 1966, smacking the ball into peoples back gardens over a very high fence!!, I watched the Minor Counties play New Zealand there and of course the great Bill Edrich graced the crease there............http://eafa.org.uk/work/?id=807265

Edited by Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Young women must feel much safer having you perving over them online though, rather than out on the streets. 

Just like you must feel safer online than spouting your nonsense out on the streets.

44 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

You are welcome. The Serruys family are still in business in the City, I assume it is the son of Harry that owns the the old Predros restaurant in Chaplefield Gardens.........

Andre Serruys and the place is run by his daughter.

48 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Just like you must feel safer online than spouting your nonsense out on the streets.

The mean streets of Norwich 😂

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Very true. My parents live in a house that backs onto the old Cricket Ground, they have been there since 1966 and I grew up in that area. My Dad worked at Colmans for many years, played for Carrow FC and later managed them, I have had the privilege of playing on the main footy pitch there ( only the once), arguably the best playing surface in Norfolk with the exception of Carrow Rd. The beautiful thatched Colman House was lost to a devastating fire (my Dad called the fire brigade) and the old thatched cricket pavilion has been demolished to make way for houses. It is sad to see so much history destroyed and lost forever. There is a crappy little statue within the housing development that really does not do justice to  the history of the place. We had the West Indies playing the minor Counties there in 1966, smacking the ball into peoples back gardens over a very high fence!!, I watched the Minor Counties play New Zealand there and of course the great Bill Edrich graced the crease there............http://eafa.org.uk/work/?id=807265

My favourite memory is Norfolk playing Leicestershire in the Nat West trophy in 1985. Anticipating watching England captain David Gower, Peter Willey, Jonathan Agnew et al up against a very good Norfolk team including Parvez Mir and Quorn Handley was exciting.

Until they battered us with bat and ball...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Remember the hut,I think it was on wheels, that printed scorecards every now and then so you didn't have to watch every ball in case you missed a dot ball off your personal one, drawn up the night before in an exercise book

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The mean streets of Norwich 😂

Two winos had a scrap outside boarded up Debenhams at lunchtime....

A large crowd looked on.

Walker succeeded him, was incredibly successful, but ultimately he considered us a stepping stone, which meant he left after 18 months for Everton and Norwich was relegated, not to return to the Premier League for another 10 years.