Sign in to follow this  
pearsos

So Who Do We Want As Our Next Manager/Head Coach

Let’s be realistic.

Several names being touted today, Lampard, Gerrard, Hodgson, Martin plus several out of work or currently abroad.

Who would give us a chance (however slim) of survival this season or get us promoted next season.

Edited by pearsos
Spelling

This is really not being pedantic, honest! I assume we will still be looking not for a manager but for a head coach, which probably rules some of the above names out. Before Brexit I would have thought another from the continent, and probably Germany, but that is harder now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Uncle Fred said:

The messiah 

ROFL......Binner cast-off ? ....we really are f*cked in that case 🤣

Of all the names being touted the only one who would interest me is Lampard.  A complete outsider and probably one of my more ridiculous suggestions would be Nigel Pearson.  Kept Leicester up and created that PL winning side.  sacked 'cos of his son's stupidity.  Did a great job at Watford and would have probably kept them up had they not sacked him with 4 games left.  He may be high maintenance but definitely a better shout than Hodgson, Bruce, Wilder et al.

Hodgeson would be the tried and tested short term fix perhaps.

Of the names that have been thrown up at the bookies, Lucien Favre is my favourite. He's been around a bit longer so won't be scared to do what he want's to do. In some ways, he is a cross between Farke and Bielsa and he has managed top level football. He's available at the moment as he isn't in a post anywhere and he has managed PLM before, having brought him to Nice. 

I would want a manager who has vast knowledge of the premier league and at the same time wants to play good football and develop young players. Of all the names mentioned I think Lampard is the best mix of those. My only doubt is whether he is a bit to “Hollywood” for Norwich but then he did turn up at Derby.

It's like some of you haven't been paying any attention since Webber took over. We have a sporting director/head coach model. The likes of Hodgson/Allardyce etc will never be approached in a million years. 

It'll be someone from Europe. If Webber made his choice based on a choice of obvious candidates that everybody has heard of then he wouldn't be doing his job properly. I'd expect him to have done the research to find the best person we can get, not just go ooh Lampard is a big name and he's available, let's try him

• Like 1

Someone I've never heard of.

Would be devastated if it's Lampard. He's a complete fraud - failed horribly at Derby with an FFP-doped squad and Chelsea's best youngsters loaned to him, and then led a side who later proved to be Champions League winning quality to the dizzy heights of 8th in the PL. Horrific.

Mark Robins would be interesting.

Edited by ?

The key question is how good a coach are they, since Webber deals with much of what a traditional manager does. I think it significant that all of Farke's staff were sacked too. That suggests where Webber feels the main problem is. He will want someone who can bring on young players, coach a defence, since that seemed to be lacking, and be tactically smart during a game.

Woy to settle things down and blood a new permanent replacement after an extensive and thorough search.

Delia to be locked in her house while it's going on.

10 minutes ago, chicken said:

Of the names that have been thrown up at the bookies, Lucien Favre is my favourite. He's been around a bit longer so won't be scared to do what he want's to do. In some ways, he is a cross between Farke and Bielsa and he has managed top level football. He's available at the moment as he isn't in a post anywhere and he has managed PLM before, having brought him to Nice. 

As unrealistic as it may be I think he's by far the best name I've seen mentioned thus far.

• Like 1

Has to be Lucien Favre for me, comfortable with the DoF system, plays good football with fantastic tactical knowledge, brings youth through and works within tighter budgets than many other top level managers.

If he wanted to introduce a style similar to that used at BMG, many of our players would actually work pretty damn well within that framework, it would just take the coaching time for them to adapt to what's required, and would see the likes of Gilmour, Cantwell, Rashica and Tzolis all likely to get far more appearances as well.

42 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This is really not being pedantic, honest! I assume we will still be looking not for a manager but for a head coach, which probably rules some of the above names out. Before Brexit I would have thought another from the continent, and probably Germany, but that is harder now.

It really isn't that hard for managers. Anyone with more than 3 years experience in most European leagues is fine. 

32 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

I would want a manager who has vast knowledge of the premier league and at the same time wants to play good football and develop young players. Of all the names mentioned I think Lampard is the best mix of those. My only doubt is whether he is a bit to “Hollywood” for Norwich but then he did turn up at Derby.

I see this 'Hollywood' quote and given I travel (or used to) the world a bit (inc. 'Hollywood' but actually Burbank)  I think we need to open our eyes a bit.

Norwich City in the EPL are indeed in 'Hollywood'. The 'little 'ol Norwich jibe is something we demean ourselves with.

We are a fully entitled EPL club. In the big time - and a big time manager may be exactly what we need to stay there!

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

It really isn't that hard for managers. Anyone with more than 3 years experience in most European leagues is fine. 

What I found was unspecific as to what status of leagues would be OK, so I am not sure about most. What also wasn't clear was whether you had to have been a first-team manager, or would coaches be allowed, or even coaches from second elevens. I don't think you need worry about us and Villa going for the same targets!

Edited by PurpleCanary

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

What I found was unspecific as to what status of leagues would be OK, so I am not sure about most. What also wasn't clear was whether you had to have been a first-team manager, or would coaches be allowed, or even coaches from second elevens.

I did find a list somewhere of what constituted a tier 5 or above league and it basically included the top two divisions of most major European leagues along with top flight leagues in Scandinavian and East European countries. 

Agree though I'm not clear on whether the experience has to be purely managerial. I like the look of Pascal Jansen from Alkmaar but he's mainly been an assistant before becoming a manager a year or so ago- so no idea if he qualifies. 

However I don't think it'll prevent us looking abroad too much. 

30 minutes ago, king canary said:

I did find a list somewhere of what constituted a tier 5 or above league and it basically included the top two divisions of most major European leagues along with top flight leagues in Scandinavian and East European countries. 

Agree though I'm not clear on whether the experience has to be purely managerial. I like the look of Pascal Jansen from Alkmaar but he's mainly been an assistant before becoming a manager a year or so ago- so no idea if he qualifies. 

However I don't think it'll prevent us looking abroad too much. 

I don't know. I found this in the Mail, which pointed out than Man Utd could not now have got Solskjaer, for example:

The FA regulations will have a bigger impact on the Championship, where managerial turnover is higher and clubs make foreign appointments from outside the European elite, recruiting from smaller sides or increasingly from academy football. 

Championship leaders Norwich would have been unable to recruit Daniel Farke, who led them to the Premier League two years ago, as his only previous management experience came with Borussia Dortmund B in the German fourth division.

Watford's appointment of Xisco Munoz in December would have been blocked if the club had waited a fortnight to confirm his appointment as his previous jobs were in the Spanish fourth division and in Georgia, and Barnsley's Valerien Ismael would have been unable to move to Oakwell under the new rules.

The regulations will also have a dramatic effect on clubs seeking to appoint foreign coaches to their backroom staff, as the guidance states that even prospective assistant managers 'must have managed a club in a top league for the prescribed time'. 

Foreign managers often bring their own coaching staff, which would be prohibited in most cases unless they have prior management experience at the top level.

Valérien Ismaël anyone?

Did an amazing job at Barnsley with literally no money and not doing too bad with WBA at the moment 

It will have to be a foreigner with little or no knowledge of Norwich City, who is only attracted by the PL tag.  If they knew what we know the dearth of quality and relative inability of most of our squad.  But will be satisfied with the finance or not supplied by our Board.