Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Frank Lampard is bookies favourite

25 minutes ago, FCC said:

He has picked young players but not developed them

What about Mount then? Do you offer him no credit being so closely connected to him at Derby, and then onto Chelsea where he won the champions league trophy?

I fail to see how that's not a prime example of developing a player, he instilled such maturity into him.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, FCC said:

Not at all Newtopia.

For me, he hasn’t done enough.  He has picked young players but not developed them.  Hasn’t worked anywhere on a budget, has no loyalty, and isn’t used to fighting against the odds

Not true. His first season at Chelsea he operated under a transfer embargo. Everyone praised him at end of that season for the job he'd done in the circumstances.

1 hour ago, York Canary said:

Dean Smith seems to be the third name being mentioned now he’s gone from Villa. Who knows though.. hopefully all a lot clearer soon 

If it was a straight choice out of Dean Smith and Frank Lampard, I would 100% go Dean Smith. Has kept Villa up 2 seasons in a row and would probably have finished around mid table this season once he had some key players back to full fitness. A look at VillaTalk shows a lot of their fans thinking it was a crazy decision and more importantly that he’d keep us up too.

My choice is still Knutsen, but would have Smith over Lampard if it came down to it any day of the week.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Not true. His first season at Chelsea he operated under a transfer embargo. Everyone praised him at end of that season for the job he'd done in the circumstances.

He also conceded quite a lot of goals at Chelsea too. I would hate to think what that would translate to here.

The more I think about it the more I don’t get the downer on Lampard.

I think he ticks a lot of boxes we would look for in a manager.

I actually think neutrals would see it as a bit of a coup and getting him might take some serious persuasion from Webber rather than him jumping at the chance.

Shows how far we’ve come when a recently departed Chelsea manager is seen as undesirable by some of our supporters.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FCC said:

Not at all Newtopia.

For me, he hasn’t done enough.  He has picked young players but not developed them.  Hasn’t worked anywhere on a budget, has no loyalty, and isn’t used to fighting against the odds. 

Fell short with a very strong Derby side buttressed with promising Chelsea youth talent, then whilst he did develop youth at Chelsea it was out of necessity under a transfer embargo. As soon as he got a team together when able to buy players, he was tactically very naïve, particularly in defence.

Spoke volumes that Tuchel got the same team to become champions of Europe pretty quickly, but Lampard wasn't quite getting a tune out of them. For me, he would be a backward step from Farke - almost like getting a Farke-light.

• Like 2

On 07/11/2021 at 19:18, hogesar said:

Totally with you. There are some generally unstable people on here though,  who are best ignored! I shall DM you later

Do you mean DP him? 

30 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

If it was a straight choice out of Dean Smith and Frank Lampard, I would 100% go Dean Smith. Has kept Villa up 2 seasons in a row and would probably have finished around mid table this season once he had some key players back to full fitness. A look at VillaTalk shows a lot of their fans thinking it was a crazy decision and more importantly that he’d keep us up too.

My choice is still Knutsen, but would have Smith over Lampard if it came down to it any day of the week.

As has been said elsewhere Villa only stayed up in their first season because of a right royal VAR c0ck up despite spending many millions. Hardly a convincing validation of his skills as a coach.

53 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I totally agree with this 👍

• Thanks 1

Lampard, Knutsen, Favre all seem great choices. There's obviously never any guarantees but I feel that any could give us a big boost and get our team really playing. Hodgson on a deal until season end wouldn't seem to be the worst idea. If it were Dean Smith or Mark Robins I think they would be ok, just not quite as exciting.

I actually really like the idea of Lampard, whenever I have heard him he speaks intelligently and would carry great weight and contacts. It would be a statement "signing", one of England's best players from the last generation and I think he did very well learning the managerial trade at both Derby and Chelsea.

18 minutes ago, Tumbleweed said:

Lampard, Knutsen, Favre all seem great choices. There's obviously never any guarantees but I feel that any could give us a big boost and get our team really playing. Hodgson on a deal until season end wouldn't seem to be the worst idea. If it were Dean Smith or Mark Robins I think they would be ok, just not quite as exciting.

I actually really like the idea of Lampard, whenever I have heard him he speaks intelligently and would carry great weight and contacts. It would be a statement "signing", one of England's best players from the last generation and I think he did very well learning the managerial trade at both Derby and Chelsea.

A very balanced post. As you say there are no guarantees.  Boost yes and I also hope the majority get behind the new manager straight away and get rid of the negativity which has been hanging over the club. 

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

As has been said elsewhere Villa only stayed up in their first season because of a right royal VAR c0ck up despite spending many millions. Hardly a convincing validation of his skills as a coach.

Indeed, of course I’m well aware of that incident and it was a terrible decision Nuff, but the VAR’s, particularly that teething season, were making controversial decisions every weekend much to the fury of supporters from all 20 clubs, so if all the wrongs were righted I’m sure the end of season table would look different again. Therefore I think it’s a fairly moot point with the greatest of respect.

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Fell short with a very strong Derby side buttressed with promising Chelsea youth talent, then whilst he did develop youth at Chelsea it was out of necessity under a transfer embargo. As soon as he got a team together when able to buy players, he was tactically very naïve, particularly in defence.

Spoke volumes that Tuchel got the same team to become champions of Europe pretty quickly, but Lampard wasn't quite getting a tune out of them. For me, he would be a backward step from Farke - almost like getting a Farke-light.

Spot on Gunny. His defensive record wasn’t exactly great with the calibre of players he had at his disposal, so I hate to think how that would play out with a team currently in the midst of an early season relegation dogfight. Not very favourably I would imagine, and that statistic alone is a big red flag for me.

I like Frank Lampard. Since he changed his game so much to stay at the top level and really prolong his career, I've always admired him. He's massively intelligent and gets this rep as some sort of wide boy type which really isn't fair at all; that ghastly stuff around 9/11 etc was 20 years ago now, when he was practically still a kid. His reflections on why England failed during his time are especially worth watching; he's by far the most articulate and deep-thinking of the three speaking here:

I thought he'd do well at Derby - and would absolutely maintain that he did, completely out-thinking one of the world's greatest coaches in the playoffs. Where Derby are now isn't his fault; it actually shows how good he was there in many ways. I was also very pleased for him when Chelsea appointed him, and thought it would work. Which it did in Year 1, but not at all in Year 2: because he's not a world class manager. He's just a good manager, with the potential to become very good and, if all goes well for him, end up as Southgate's successor. That's his longer term aim I think.

But because of what happened at Chelsea, he badly needs to prove himself somewhere. Working a miracle with us would suit him hugely in that sense. His record with young players and overseeing bright, ambitious football - he actually made Chelsea likeable for the first time since Ranieri was there! - is all good too. But...

... I can't think of any manager who'd view us as more of a stepping stone than he would. If he somehow kept us up, he'd be gone as early as the summer. Everything in the media would be about him, not us - and I cannot for the life of me imagine him 'getting' the club, 'getting' all of us. I'd be surprised if he's ever paid us much attention at any point except while at Derby.

It's his commitment I doubt much more than anything else. Which means if it went wrong, he could just do a Harry Redknapp at various places and his media pals would do the rest. "Not my fault guv, I did me best, but the circumstances were impossible". (Translation: "I didn't have a hundred million quid to **** away, so I had no chance. Where even is Norwich anyway?").

We don't need someone like that at all. We need someone committed for the long term, who really believes in our approach and wants to take it to the next level. Among British managers, I think Eddie Howe could've been that man, but it's too late now. Our best bet is to go European again - and if you ask me, Lampard actually suits the Villa vacancy a lot more than us. I imagine his agent would be pointing him in that direction too.

As for Dean Smith: sorry, but no. He got so, so lucky when they scraped survival by the skin of their teeth in 2019-20. Last season was all about Grealish and they've been sliding since January; he doesn't seem to know how to use Emi at all. He fit that club because he's a diehard Villa fan. He wouldn't fit ours in a million years. I think he's a bit of a chancer; he reminds me of John Gregory at times.

Yet contrary to his pretty unfair image, Lampard doesn't strike me as that in any way. He's had to work f**king hard throughout his career and as a footballer, was a quite colossal overachiever. But I really don't think ours is the right club to get him back on track. It's the wrong fit, and we should steer clear.

Edited by thebigfeller
  • Like 5

Really hoping it's not Smith, I'm only 50/50 about Lampard but I'd take him any day of the week over Smith. Similar to Lambert with Culverhouse, useless without Terry sorting his defence out. 

Let’s be honest… any of the managers linked should get a better return than Farke managed in PL. Thus would be an upgrade.

We need a lucky manager. So fingers crossed that whoever we get has some luck and this translates to points. Poor old Farke just didn’t cut it in the PL (for several reasons). 

Let’s get behind the new manager and get a few early points on the board quickly.

For what it is worth I would go for Robins but any of the three talked about have lots of positives and negatives… and have a point to prove. Hopefully they can bring the positives!

It is rather exciting and should bring a bit of positivity back to Carrow Road. 

8 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I’m with you here Alex .

• Like 1

This season is rapidly turning from a car crash into a horror show. The bloodied bodies are turning into zombies and climbing from the wreckage.

From the decision to sell Buendia, the failure to replace Skipp and the £50m blown on absolute dross, the downhill trajectory has gathered pace. The flawed tactics, 8 at the back, hoofball then the 7-0 thrashing by Chelsea which looked to be the low point.

But the slightly improved performances against Leeds (lost to an unlikely goal) and Brentford (unconvincing in the end, but took our chances and held on) were just a dead cat bounce.

Sacking Farke, while unsurprising, was still a blow. But Webber must have someone else lined up, right? A progressive, intelligent, tactically astute coach who fits with the long term plan.

No, it's Frank Lampard. The rug has been pulled out from under the cat, revealing a trapdoor leading to a bottomless pit.

The deluded notion that he could somehow save the season and avoid relegation will be forgotten before Christmas. And, if he stays for a full year, any hope of another promotion will be lost by Christmas 2022.

We'll long for the yo-yo days when we're languishing in the lower reaches of the Championship and look back to this point as the pivotal moment. What a monumental Farke up. 

5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

This season is rapidly turning from a car crash into a horror show. The bloodied bodies are turning into zombies and climbing from the wreckage.

From the decision to sell Buendia, the failure to replace Skipp and the £50m blown on absolute dross, the downhill trajectory has gathered pace. The flawed tactics, 8 at the back, hoofball then the 7-0 thrashing by Chelsea which looked to be the low point.

But the slightly improved performances against Leeds (lost to an unlikely goal) and Brentford (unconvincing in the end, but took our chances and held on) were just a dead cat bounce.

Sacking Farke, while unsurprising, was still a blow. But Webber must have someone else lined up, right? A progressive, intelligent, tactically astute coach who fits with the long term plan.

No, it's Frank Lampard. The rug has been pulled out from under the cat, revealing a trapdoor leading to a bottomless pit.

The deluded notion that he could somehow save the season and avoid relegation will be forgotten before Christmas. And, if he stays for a full year, any hope of another promotion will be lost by Christmas 2022.

We'll long for the yo-yo days when we're languishing in the lower reaches of the Championship and look back to this point as the pivotal moment. What a monumental Farke up. 

Bad nights sleep?!

15 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I’m with you here Alex .

If we’re going to replace Farke, then at least do it with people that have actually done something. As I say, Knutsen’s 100% my choice by far as he has done exceptional things at Glimt, but if it really is between Smith and Lampard, then you have to look at their managerial records to give ourselves the best possible chance, and actually base this appointment on a proven track record rather than just hunches and hopes which is largely the argument for Frank Lampard. Dean Smith also did rather well at Brentford and actually has a pretty decent record as a manager - it is certainly better than Frank Lampard’s, I don’t think that’s even debatable to date. Every appointment is a gamble, but we are really not in a position right now to mess this up, so I just hope to give ourselves the very best possible chance we go for the most proven option first and foremost, whomever that may be.

• Like 1

Remember when it was definitely going to be Uwe Rosler last time and all the major press were reporting it? Webber has probably thrown out a red herring again so he can do his work quietly without having to go through a similar situation Spurs did with Nuno. 

If all Webber could come up with by scouring the world for a new coach in an inexperienced guy who got a play off level team to the play offs in the Championship and then took Chelsea to mid table with a very suspect playing style then he wants sacking as well.  It won't be Lampard

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, FCC said:

Not at all Newtopia.

For me, he hasn’t done enough.  He has picked young players but not developed them.  Hasn’t worked anywhere on a budget, has no loyalty, and isn’t used to fighting against the odds. 

On balance I think Frank is a good choice.  He is thoughtful, and inspirational - the young players will know what he has achieved and I think he will be hungry to succeed - is there a better opportunity out there for him, possibly. Whether he sees us as a stepping stone is irrelevant, if he keeps us up his cache will rise, but I suspect he realises he needs to do it for a sustained period to establish his reputation, then a top 10 job will be his.  If we go down he knows enough to ensure we compete, and if he is terrible we regroup around another manager for next season, no worse off than had we not appointed him.

Personally I do not want to become Frank Lampard's Norwich, but that is not Frank's decision, he will need to show it is not about him.  Also Webber needs to make sure we do not waste cash on pointless players who just increase the wage bill.

3 hours ago, thebigfeller said:

I like Frank Lampard. Since he changed his game so much to stay at the top level and really prolong his career, I've always admired him. He's massively intelligent and gets this rep as some sort of wide boy type which really isn't fair at all; that ghastly stuff around 9/11 etc was 20 years ago now, when he was practically still a kid. His reflections on why England failed during his time are especially worth watching; he's by far the most articulate and deep-thinking of the three speaking here:

I thought he'd do well at Derby - and would absolutely maintain that he did, completely out-thinking one of the world's greatest coaches in the playoffs. Where Derby are now isn't his fault; it actually shows how good he was there in many ways. I was also very pleased for him when Chelsea appointed him, and thought it would work. Which it did in Year 1, but not at all in Year 2: because he's not a world class manager. He's just a good manager, with the potential to become very good and, if all goes well for him, end up as Southgate's successor. That's his longer term aim I think.

But because of what happened at Chelsea, he badly needs to prove himself somewhere. Working a miracle with us would suit him hugely in that sense. His record with young players and overseeing bright, ambitious football - he actually made Chelsea likeable for the first time since Ranieri was there! - is all good too. But...

... I can't think of any manager who'd view us as more of a stepping stone than he would. If he somehow kept us up, he'd be gone as early as the summer. Everything in the media would be about him, not us - and I cannot for the life of me imagine him 'getting' the club, 'getting' all of us. I'd be surprised if he's ever paid us much attention at any point except while at Derby.

It's his commitment I doubt much more than anything else. Which means if it went wrong, he could just do a Harry Redknapp at various places and his media pals would do the rest. "Not my fault guv, I did me best, but the circumstances were impossible". (Translation: "I didn't have a hundred million quid to **** away, so I had no chance. Where even is Norwich anyway?").

We don't need someone like that at all. We need someone committed for the long term, who really believes in our approach and wants to take it to the next level. Among British managers, I think Eddie Howe could've been that man, but it's too late now. Our best bet is to go European again - and if you ask me, Lampard actually suits the Villa vacancy a lot more than us. I imagine his agent would be pointing him in that direction too.

As for Dean Smith: sorry, but no. He got so, so lucky when they scraped survival by the skin of their teeth in 2019-20. Last season was all about Grealish and they've been sliding since January; he doesn't seem to know how to use Emi at all. He fit that club because he's a diehard Villa fan. He wouldn't fit ours in a million years. I think he's a bit of a chancer; he reminds me of John Gregory at times.

Yet contrary to his pretty unfair image, Lampard doesn't strike me as that in any way. He's had to work f**king hard throughout his career and as a footballer, was a quite colossal overachiever. But I really don't think ours is the right club to get him back on track. It's the wrong fit, and we should steer clear.

Agree with some of that, but that Derby side should not have been in the play-offs in the first place - and they only came 6th, the last position, at that. If Farke had been manager of that side, where do you think they would have finished?

43 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Remember when it was definitely going to be Uwe Rosler last time and all the major press were reporting it? Webber has probably thrown out a red herring again so he can do his work quietly without having to go through a similar situation Spurs did with Nuno. 

I strongly suspect this to be the case.