Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Frank Lampard is bookies favourite

Local news still banging on about him being favourite from a short list of 2.

It's either well wide of the mark or he's nailed on.

18 minutes ago, Dean80 said:

Lamps  at carrow road for talks announcement to be made by the weekend 

His backroom staff giving interviews today. 

Screenshot_20211109-152957_Chrome.jpg

While Lampard is a big name and did well to bring some young players through at Chelsea his team was defensively suspect, often vulnerable from the counter attack and they conceded a fair few goals in general during his time there. 77 in in 57 which is over a goal every game with a team much better than ours. I also recall his Chelsea team looking quite ponderous in possession and often having to rely on individual quality to create goals instead of having a clear game plan. 

Just sounds like more of the same to me so I don't see the point, we might as well have kept Farke if we were going to then appoint another coach in the same mold, I wanted Farke out because I think the playing style needs a bit of an overhaul, not because I thought he was a bad manager, he was good at what he does and maybe so is Lampard, but we need a different type of manager. 

I admit despite being skeptical at first I am getting worried by how much traction this seems to be getting and will be very disappointed if it turns out to be Lampard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

While Lampard is a big name and did well to bring some young players through at Chelsea his team was defensively suspect, often vulnerable from the counter attack and they conceded a fair few goals in general during his time there. 77 in in 57 which is over a goal every game with a team much better than ours. I also recall his Chelsea team looking quite ponderous in possession and often having to rely on individual quality to create goals instead of having a clear game plan. 

Just sounds like more of the same to me so I don't see the point, we might as well have kept Farke if we were going to then appoint another coach in the same mold, I wanted Farke out because I think the playing style needs a bit of an overhaul, not because I thought he was a bad manager, he was good at what he does and maybe so is Lampard, but we need a different type of manager. 

I admit despite being skeptical at first I am getting worried by how much traction this seems to be getting and will be very disappointed if it turns out to be Lampard. 

Great post. I think you, and some others, have raised the single most concerning aspect about his managerial time at Chelsea. That averages conceding comfortably over a goal a game. Now translate that to our team. I hope I’m wrong but I think it’s right to be concerned by this statistic.

We desperately need someone who will organise defensive solidity as much as anything else if we are to have any chance of staying in this league. But I feel this is being overlooked because he’s a ‘big name in the game that will bring respect to the club’. 

3 hours ago, Rivvo said:

D  I  c k

Van Dyk that is……

Yes Di ck, although Bert was his character....and it's Van Dy ke....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dean80 said:

Lamps  at carrow road for talks announcement to be made by the weekend 

So, that's what we are going to call him is it....Lamps?

A bit like Curbs and Pards I suppose.

He did put the lamps out at the Carra once so maybe it is an omen?

• Haha 3

Actually, after nailing my colours to the KK mast,  I have come more round to Lampard - either would do me fine. So it’ll now be a third, left field appointment.

• Like 1

I want to be wrong. Lampard may get the players fired up though as he is a big presence.

In reality I hope he has a good coaching team as I think that he is an empty vessel.

Edited by The Bristol Nest

Just been looking on FB and some Villa pages they all like the idea of Lampard, and seen quite a few Chelsea fans saying he's too good for either of us. 

Yet many here say he's not good enough for us. Just shows every manager will have people for and against, for example a few here have said they'd like Smith but he'd be my very last choice out of the names listed. 

Whoever does get the job, one thing is for sure people are going to moan about it 😂

• Like 1

I'm still nailing my colours to the Favre mast, so much better than ANY of the other names being touted and actually has form at the top level, rather than failing in the champs/prem like Lampard did, or having a rather unremarkable career in Norway for the past 25 years but doing very well in the last 2 of those...

It's not even a contest is it really? yet we're still banging on about these guys rather than focusing our discussion on the guy who would make a vast difference to us, has the pedigree and tacitcal genius behind him, and was close to coming to the prem not so long ago with Palace, and also has a superb history of playing and developing youth whilst also performing under relatively tight budget constraints. It's like a perfect fit, but lets waffle on about why we don't want Lampard instead....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I wanted Farke out because I think the playing style needs a bit of an overhaul, not because I thought he was a bad manager, he was good at what he does and maybe so is Lampard, but we need a different type of manager. 

I agree. I dont think we'll ever have the players to be abe to play the brand of football we want and be successful at it. Not in the Premier League anyway

12 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I'm still nailing my colours to the Favre mast

7 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Lucien Favre would be my pick too. Head and shoulders above all the names mentioned so far.

I'd love Lucien Favre. I note he's been linked to the Villa job today. 

46 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Yes Di ck, although Bert was his character....and it's Van Dy ke....

No, it's Pen-is von Lesbian if we're going to be correct about it. 😉

3 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Honestly, when will people give up trotting this sort of lazy rubbish. 

Lampard has no real need for the job? He wants to be a successful manager - of course he has a need for the job! No need to prove himself? He just got sacked from his dream job. He has everything to prove. Belittled Norwich? Who hasn't in this day and age? 

Absolutely fine not to want him. But at least give reasons that are based on fact rather than the sort of lazy hot garbage you see circulated by trolls on twitter. 

Really? Lazy rubbish? Ok! Please tell me exactly why Lampard would be a good fit for our model? Is he hungry to succeed? Has he got proven experience of generating a competitive side with a limited , restricted budget? Or has his main experience in Head Coaching been with a side with a virtually unlimited budget? You may have the answers who knows, I have serious questions and serious doubts about his ability and his motivation. How was his tenure at Derby viewed by the Club and supporters?

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

No, it's Pen-is von Lesbian if we're going to be correct about it. 😉

Todger von Dip.....

• Haha 1

Whilst Lampatd would certainly be an interesting appointment...I'd have serious doubts about whether he could drill our defence in the premier lge any better than Farke could

He couldnt even really do that at Chelsea compounded by his mystyfing freezing out of Rudiger

38 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I'd love Lucien Favre. I note he's been linked to the Villa job today. 

I feared that would be the case. I just can't see him coming here as much as I think on paper he is the strongest out of work candidate out there.

1 hour ago, Indy_Bones said:

I'm still nailing my colours to the Favre mast, so much better than ANY of the other names being touted and actually has form at the top level, rather than failing in the champs/prem like Lampard did, or having a rather unremarkable career in Norway for the past 25 years but doing very well in the last 2 of those...

It's not even a contest is it really? yet we're still banging on about these guys rather than focusing our discussion on the guy who would make a vast difference to us, has the pedigree and tacitcal genius behind him, and was close to coming to the prem not so long ago with Palace, and also has a superb history of playing and developing youth whilst also performing under relatively tight budget constraints. It's like a perfect fit, but lets waffle on about why we don't want Lampard instead....

I’m glad you’re back, you’ve been suspiciously quite the last few months or so… and there was I going to have to turn on the ‘Winkel Signal’…😁

On 07/11/2021 at 18:22, ? said:

He signed 12 players, including loans. That's his squad, not someone else's. Spending beyond their means, and with help from Chelsea. Yet he couldn't compete with a City side put together for a few million quid.

I'm also basing it on his inability to get a proven Champions League winning team to a higher position than 8th in the PL.

I mean, each to their own. But if that impresses you, you must be awfully easy to please.

Quite, the fact that we're even talking to Lampard as a potential replacement for Daniel shows what a bizarre decision the sacking  was.

Since Farke was basically carrying the can for Webber's disastrous summer recruitment I guess Webber's calculation is that he needs a big name to come in and carry the can for when we get relegated at the end of the season anyway. Webber can then move on to bigger and better things with his reputation intact - in some people's eyes anyway.

I can't believe people are so willing to forgive the way Frampard sabotaged the floodlights then drugged our players while it was dark so as to rob us of victory against Derby. 

I'll never forgive and never forget.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I can't believe people are so willing to forgive the way Frampard sabotaged the floodlights then drugged our players while it was dark so as to rob us of victory against Derby. 

I'll never forgive and never forget.

I was just wondering, has the club considered keeping DF on a retainer until the end of the season and letting him do some media stuff maybe. Then, if we go down, we can get him in to get us back up again before any players are sold?

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

Couldn't we nick Gerrard?

Although I would be happy to have him, I seriously doubt we’d be able to get him. For a start he’s the favourite for the Villa job, and is also being encouraged to snub it by some pundits as it’s believed it could be a massive blow for his future (possible failure at Villa leading to failure to succeed Klopp at Anfield)

Hilariously, or not (I can't quite decide), I just read that if Lampard was appointed he would become the first manager in history to have a greater net worth than the owner of the club employing him.

• Like 1