Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Frank Lampard is bookies favourite

Another side to this is the ambition and expectations of the new manager going forward. Should FL be appointed, and if he were to do the impossible and manage us to survival - will he want to work within budgetary constraints for the following season? and the one after that? Or will his stock have improved to a point where he sacks us off for a 'bigger' club at the soonest opportunity? I don't think that would necessarily apply to Knutsen or Smith - they don't have the big name status that 'bigger' clubs require.

Just now, Thumbbass said:

Another side to this is the ambition and expectations of the new manager going forward. Should FL be appointed, and if he were to do the impossible and manage us to survival - will he want to work within budgetary constraints for the following season? and the one after that? Or will his stock have improved to a point where he sacks us off for a 'bigger' club at the soonest opportunity? I don't think that would necessarily apply to Knutsen or Smith - they don't have the big name status that 'bigger' clubs require.

I can also see Lampard having some form of budget requirement within his ask.  I can't see the club committing to that as a self-funding club.  Ain't no way it will be Lampard, unless he has curbed his ambition of being a "top, top manager".

Nuno not being mentioned or in the betting lists because he’s: way out of our league? seen as rubbish?

9 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Nuno not being mentioned or in the betting lists because he’s: way out of our league? seen as rubbish?

Nuno is on the betting lists, 25/1 currently with Sky Bet

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Well he should eat his breakfast more slowly, just like mummy told him.

I must admit I thought it said rusk.

33 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Which will vanish in a second if it becomes clear he is not up to the job, which with his questionable record is quite possible. And that applies to most of those other supposed reasons.

‘If’

14 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

After what he achieved at Wolves I assume he would view a relegation battle as a bit beneath him perhaps?

Personally I'd quite like him, always seems quite understated and goes under the radar a bit.

Spurs are a rum'un to manage, but what he did at Wolves was seriously impressive, seemed to implement a clear playing style and got the most out of them.

• Like 1

If we do go for Lampard, it would surely be the first time that a manager has more money than the owner of the club they manage...

Lampard’s estimated net wealth: 66 million.

Delia’s estimated net wealth: 23 million. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agree in principle, but a team at the bottom of the Premier is not a suitable next step to learn it.

We are unlikely to attract the finished article

51 minutes ago, Segura said:

After what he achieved at Wolves I assume he would view a relegation battle as a bit beneath him perhaps?

Personally I'd quite like him, always seems quite understated and goes under the radar a bit.

Spurs are a rum'un to manage, but what he did at Wolves was seriously impressive, seemed to implement a clear playing style and got the most out of them.

1. The football at Spurs was beyond negative, and he lost it at Wolves last season.

2. Very few clubs could afford the entourage he brings with him. Above all, Mendes - who I wouldn't want anywhere near this club, ever. 

3. Nuno's success at Wolves was pretty much entirely down to Mendes and money. I struggle to see him getting a PL job again soon at any club except maybe Watford.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Van wink said:

We are unlikely to attract the finished article

No, but replacing an attack-minded coach who wasn't great at organising a defence with a less proven attack-minded coach who pretty demonstrably also can't organise a defence... when realistically we need someone who can organise a defence as part of this remit if we want to stay up... makes it a very counter-intuitive appointment.

No-one's saying Lampard is a bad manager, or that he doesn't have his good points but really, apart from reputation as a player and the contact list, there's nothing there he's got that Farke couldn't do better already.

I think Villa's a better call for Lampard than us.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

No, but replacing an attack-minded coach who wasn't great at organising a defence with a less proven attack-minded coach who pretty demonstrably also can't organise a defence... when realistically we need someone who can organise a defence as part of this remit if we want to stay up... makes it a very counter-intuitive appointment.

No-one's saying Lampard is a bad manager, or that he doesn't have his good points but really, apart from reputation as a player and the contact list, there's nothing there he's got that Farke couldn't do better already.

Agree with all of that

18 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

No, but replacing an attack-minded coach who wasn't great at organising a defence with a less proven attack-minded coach who pretty demonstrably also can't organise a defence... when realistically we need someone who can organise a defence as part of this remit if we want to stay up... makes it a very counter-intuitive appointment

This is my second biggest fear about Lampard. Agree entirely.

My biggest fear is that we appoint him and I end up liking him. I hate - absolutely hate - having my prejudices challenged in this way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Which will vanish in a second if it becomes clear he is not up to the job, which with his questionable record is quite possible. And that applies to most of those other supposed reasons.

If he fails, we'll have to sack him and pay him compensation, and we'll be back in the Champs and exciting prospects from the continent won't want to come to us (or lesser-known ones, post-Brexit, will be unable to come to us).

And, if Lampard is up to the job and he keeps us up, *he* will vanish as soon as a good offer comes in, and we're back to square one.

Lampard a good young British coach who did well with youngsters..

Smith clearly a decent manager.

Knutsen doing well and plays with wingers & full backs pushing up.

Can get behind any of these candidates

27 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

👍 Pretty much where I am. There's an argument that Lampard could have learnt a lot and be much better for us than previous clubs but you could then argue it for literally any manager.

12 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

This is my second biggest fear about Lampard. Agree entirely.

My biggest fear is that we appoint him and I end up liking him. I hate - absolutely hate - having my prejudices challenged in this way.

Can't say I mind him. I agree with those who say he comes over as a pretty intelligent and articulate bloke. I just don't think he is a good choice for us in our current predicament.

In fact, I'd go as far as suggest that he's being used as a decoy by Webber to go for his real target.

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd go as far as suggest that he's being used as a decoy by Webber to go for his real target.

This would be seriously great if it's true. And if Webber was behind the absurd rumours that we're considering Hassenhutl a week before we play Southampton - well, then that's some real next-level Dominic Cummings sh1t.

• Like 1

Lamps replaces Webbo as DoF and then immediately Lamps purchases NCFC and becomes the self-appointed majority shareholding Chairman/Owner of NCFC....Then Lamps puts some of his wealth into the club....Lamps retires Delia and Micky to sit behind the lounge glass in the City Stand. Lamps bins Neppers Tom, Stephan Tash, Chicken Micky, Webbo's wifey and ruthlessly clears out the rest of them z-list non-contributing financially other club cling-ons....Frank gets Tuchel to throw in the towel at Chelsea and he becomes City's manager....The snake-pit and lower Barclay all start speaking an' swaggering around like Chimney sweep Bert Van Dy ke in Mary Poppin's...."Cor blimey we're all mockerny knees up mother braaawns" they all cry in unison....Pie mash an' liqour an' jellied eels become popular in the refreshment concourses and now Lamps is the new saviour of City!.....

Let's be Frank.....It's gotta be Frank......Awight?......"GNAAAARRR!".....

• Haha 1

Interesting prospect Mello, how about Daniel Farke becomes majority owner of NCFC and reinstates himself as manager? 

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

Lamps replaces Webbo as DoF and then immediately Lamps purchases NCFC and becomes the self-appointed majority shareholding Chairman/Owner of NCFC....Then Lamps puts some of his wealth into the club....Lamps retires Delia and Micky to sit behind the lounge glass in the City Stand. Lamps bins Neppers Tom, Stephan Tash, Chicken Micky, Webbo's wifey and ruthlessly clears out the rest of them z-list non-contributing financially other club cling-ons....Frank gets Tuchel to throw in the towel at Chelsea and he becomes City's manager....The snake-pit and lower Barclay all start speaking an' swaggering around like Chimney sweep Bert Van Dy ke in Mary Poppin's...."Cor blimey we're all mockerny knees up mother braaawns" they all cry in unison....Pie mash an' liqour an' jellied eels become popular in the refreshment concourses and now Lamps is the new saviour of City!.....

Let's be Frank.....It's gotta be Frank......Awight?......"GNAAAARRR!".....

D  I  c k

Van Dyk that is……

Edited by Rivvo

3 hours ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Lampard’s estimated net wealth: 66 million.

Delia’s estimated net wealth: 23 million. 

haha perhaps he can be owner/manager/coach/player... few issues solved there!

Please not Frank Lampard! Just a hobby coach, no real commitment to the role, no real need for the job, no need to prove himself (been there, done that), has previously belittled Norwich. Would take the Norwegian chap over Lampard any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

19 minutes ago, kenfoggo said:

Please not Frank Lampard! Just a hobby coach, no real commitment to the role, no real need for the job, no need to prove himself (been there, done that), has previously belittled Norwich. Would take the Norwegian chap over Lampard any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Honestly, when will people give up trotting this sort of lazy rubbish. 

Lampard has no real need for the job? He wants to be a successful manager - of course he has a need for the job! No need to prove himself? He just got sacked from his dream job. He has everything to prove. Belittled Norwich? Who hasn't in this day and age? 

Absolutely fine not to want him. But at least give reasons that are based on fact rather than the sort of lazy hot garbage you see circulated by trolls on twitter. 

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

No annoucment today then..

Doesn’t look like it, but then I’d be more than happy to find out next week if it means we make the right appointment.

Norwich next manager odds

• Frank Lampard 4/5 
  • Kjetil Knutsen 5/2
  • Dean Smith 11/4
  • Russell Martin 12/1
  • Roy Hodgson 12/1
  • Javi Gracia 25/1
  • Nathan Jones 25/1