Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Frank Lampard is bookies favourite

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agree with some of that, but that Derby side should not have been in the play-offs in the first place - and they only came 6th, the last position, at that. If Farke had been manager of that side, where do you think they would have finished?

Farke was in Year 2 with us. He was in Year 1 with Derby. How many managers anywhere achieve instant promotion in their first season?

He completely changed their style of play and brought in a bunch of youngsters. Other people on here are bigging up Dean Smith over him - yet Villa were spending an absolute bloody fortune, and they 'only' ended up in the playoffs as well. Go figure.

Meanwhile, Bielsa didn't go up that season either. Failure? Or the building blocks put in place to get it right the following year?

Edited by thebigfeller

1 minute ago, thebigfeller said:

Farke was in Year 2 with us. He was in Year 1 with Derby. How many managers anywhere achieve instant promotion in their first season?

He completely changed their style of play and brought in a bunch of youngsters. Other people on here are bigging up Dean Smith over him - yet Villa were spending an absolute bloody fortune, and they 'only' ended up in the playoffs as well. Go figure.

Farke was in Year 2 with us after getting rid of half the team. The likes of Oliviera, Watkins, and indeed Franke had been and gone pretty sharpish. Ultimately, that Derby side was very well equipped to go straight up as they had also been spending plenty by circumventing FFP rules, yet got nowhere near it.

And that season, we drew 1-1 at their place and frankly should have won it, then they beat us 4-3 with the floodlight failure, and if we'd been four up in the first 35 minutes of that match they couldn't have complained either.

He's not even in Farke's league as a manager based on what we've seen so far.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Remember when it was definitely going to be Uwe Rosler last time and all the major press were reporting it? Webber has probably thrown out a red herring again so he can do his work quietly without having to go through a similar situation Spurs did with Nuno

Oh yes! I do recall the Rosler saga! What you’re saying here makes 💯 sense. If I’m honest I don’t really care who it is, so long as they view their position as a long term project (with the view of Championship football next season).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Farke was in Year 2 with us after getting rid of half the team. The likes of Oliviera, Watkins, and indeed Franke had been and gone pretty sharpish. Ultimately, that Derby side was very well equipped to go straight up as they had also been spending plenty by circumventing FFP rules, yet got nowhere near it.

And that season, we drew 1-1 at their place and frankly should have won it, then they beat us 4-3 with the floodlight failure, and if we'd been four up in the first 35 minutes of that match they couldn't have complained either.

He's not even in Farke's league as a manager based on what we've seen so far.

???????

They were one game away from it! 

Just now, thebigfeller said:

???????

They were one game away from it! 

Not in league position. They nearly didn't even make the play-offs, that was the point.

image.thumb.png.ad25dbe6c9c1d84e5b82a488501d1e1e.png

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not in league position. They nearly didn't even make the play-offs, that was the point.

image.thumb.png.ad25dbe6c9c1d84e5b82a488501d1e1e.png

It's a pretty daft one given they made it.

Or should Nigel Worthington be slagged off after spending plenty and 'only' making the playoffs on goals scored in 2002?

17 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agree with some of that, but that Derby side should not have been in the play-offs in the first place - and they only came 6th, the last position, at that. If Farke had been manager of that side, where do you think they would have finished?

Probably sixth as well.

Derby didn’t have Pukki or Buendia.

Just now, thebigfeller said:

It's a pretty daft one given they made it.

Or should Nigel Worthington be slagged off after spending plenty and 'only' making the playoffs on goals scored in 2002?

Not at all. They came 6th the previous year under Rowett, Lampard comes in with a settled squad, gets some cream young talent added to it in the form of Mason Mount, Fikayo Tomori and also Harry Wilson on loan, whilst also getting Ashley Cole for the second half of the season.... and they still only finished 6th.

The crux is he underachieved with that team IMO and should have been higher than 6th. 

On 07/11/2021 at 20:48, Olano said:

Yes he onely have plan A 

Its not easy to youse subs when you dont have much talent outside the starting 11.

Glimt have some importent players injured as well

If he was any sort of half-decent manager he'd be able to magically conjure quality subs out of thin air. 

24 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

If it is FL then I want Farke back 

Our of reactions, but yes Fred 👍

Seriously I guarantee you if Frank Lampard hadn’t played for Chelsea then nobody would be remotely interested. In fact, if that was a foreign manager with an identical record to Frank’s, then there’d be absolute uproar at the mere suggestion of said guy coming in to firefight our season, and rightly so.

3 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Henry Winter in The Times brought up Russ again this morning.

Please No. He isn't even half way up the Championship.

18 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If he was any sort of half-decent manager he'd be able to magically conjure quality subs out of thin air. 

Should borrow a few from Farke, he never uses his. 😉

17 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Alex Neil or young Chris Hughton would be more appealing. 

Of the names mentioned Frankie Lampard is starting to stand out.

He’s a winner, expects and does .

Highly intelligent and able to communicate that, across the board.

Young and highly motivated to prove himself in management.

Very well connected within football and respected.

Will get the midfield working, with places for the likes of Cantwell, Gilmore and Normann. Will recognise the weakness in central defence and likely bring in another.

Instant respect on the training ground.

His profile will hugely lift that of ‘little Norwich’.

Fresh and ready to go!

• Like 1

My only issue with Lampy is that he didn't do that well at Chelsea, once the transfer ban was lifted it was a different ball game and he hardly excelled. Dean Smith has a good track record, I'd definitely be up for having a chat with him. KK is more of an unknown but indeed does have a fairly impressive record. 

I think the hardest thing will be replacing Farke's qualities with better ones. Yes, he struggled in the PL but everything else about him was absolute class from developing youngsters to his mannerisms on and off the pitch. Does Frank Lampard fill me with confidence to be able to better Farke all across the board? hmm, I'm not sure

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Does anyone have the current odds list? On my work laptop so cant access gambling sites.

There you go pal

FBCD7429-EAC4-453A-A17A-33CCC4080A7C.png

4 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Yep, noticed him creeping up the list overnight!

I'd be really happy with Martinez but can't honestly see it happening. I'm surprised he is even on the list at all, or should be at 500/1 or something.

20 minutes ago, Satriales said:

I'd be really happy with Martinez but can't honestly see it happening. I'm surprised he is even on the list at all, or should be at 500/1 or something.

Yeah he'd never come here I wouldn't think, someone's been wasting their money at the bookies by the looks of things! What's all the fuss abuot Luis Boa Morte as well?

1 hour ago, Sheva said:

Will get the midfield working, with places for the likes of Cantwell, Gilmore and Normann. Will recognise the weakness in central defence and likely bring in another.

Fresh and ready to go!

Whilst I would not be 100% ecstatic if the East End boy landed the job, I would not be furious like so many FL haters on this Board seem to be! Your list is bang on. Tick, Tick and Tick again v all the bullet points you mention. Why do so many people slag off Lampard bringing up all sorts of garbage about 'Chelsea' when managing NCFC is a totally different kettle of fish.

If people don't want Lampard then fine but then they should state WHO (and WHY) should be the new Canary manager.    

Except he won't sort out the defence. A problem with the Derby side he managed, and particularly when in charge of Chelsea, was that his teams were defensively vulnerable.

Compare Chelsea under Tuchel defensively with pretty much the same squad under Lampard. Night and day.

No-one's saying he's a bad manager by any means, just that he's not an improvement on Farke, the guy we just sacked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheva said:

Fresh and ready to go!

Which will vanish in a second if it becomes clear he is not up to the job, which with his questionable record is quite possible. And that applies to most of those other supposed reasons.

8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Except he won't sort out the defence. A problem with the Derby side he managed, and particularly when in charge of Chelsea, was that his teams were defensively vulnerable.

Compare Chelsea under Tuchel defensively with pretty much the same squad under Lampard. Night and day.

No-one's saying he's a bad manager by any means, just that he's not an improvement on Farke, the guy we just sacked.

I'm not advocating for Lampard, I'm a "Farke in" happy clapper type on this one, but one would hope that managers like Lampard will have learned from their previous experiences and that their management team is able to recognise and deal with areas of weakness.

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly. The Chelsea comparison is exactly the reason why we should not appoint Lampard. He's miles away from Tuchel in managerial abilities and the Premier League has a few other managers who rate highly in world football. People who have the ability run rings around pedestrian managers like Lampard. Sides we need to win points from.

Hiring Lampard after firing Farke is little bit like ordering a diet coke with your big mac.

F...ing pointless.

We need someone better. Someone with the depth of footballing knowledge to ask questions of the likes of Klopp, Tuchel, Ranieri, Benitez, Guardiola, Rogers  and the rest.

1 hour ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Well he should eat his breakfast more slowly, just like mummy told him.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I'm not advocating for Lampard, I'm a "Farke in" happy clapper type on this one, but one would hope that managers like Lampard will have learned from their previous experiences and that their management team is able to recognise and deal with areas of weakness.

Agree in principle, but a team at the bottom of the Premier is not a suitable next step to learn it.